closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Brompton Bike?

Which Brompton Bike?

Seem to have narrowed it down from Brompton bike builder to a S3L with white and black frame, mudguards and Brooks saddle and will be taking a closer look at a cycle shop. This pretty much take me up to the £1000 cyclescheme maximum voucher.

But, for those of you that own one what is your recommendation. I thought 3 gears for flexibility rather than 6 which has the extra cables and more weight. What about the Brooks saddle, is it worth it? And, I do like an upright riding position, which is not a strength of the S model, but it looks the best.

Any other things I need to think about, such as the tyres? I wish they would cut down the options to make choosing one easier!

I bought an S3L, all matt black, and love it. I think if you prefer an upright position, or if you're medium-tall in height you may prefer the traditional handlebar.

I think the three speed is fantastic in town, mainly because with sudden stop/starts it's a benefit to be able to change whilst stationary (and of course a bit less maintenance than some of the others I assume)

Ditto, I also went for mudguards, and I chose the standard tyres. (I read loads and loads of conflicting advice about tyres, with the only common theme being that they must be pumped up properly)

Regards,
    Martyn.

No of gears depends on a number of things; style of riding, local terrain and fitness level. Obviously there are lots of people out there who seem to think you'de be mad to want more than one gear. Also give some thought as to whether you want the lower ratio option - I did and I'm pleased that I did (and I went for 6 gears in any case). The reason I'm pleased is that I find the ergonomics of the Brompton different from normal bikes and I find it takes a little more effort. The commonly perceived weight/gear sweet spot is the 2 gear but I'm only re-cycling other people's opinions. Have you test ridden any - I'd suggest this is a must and may also help with the handlebar choice.

With handlebars I have the classic ones as that was all that was available at the time. Subsequently I've ridden a couple of S-bar ones belonging to colleagues and that now would very much be my preferred amongst the standard options though, if you can put up with ungainly appearance then the P-bars are definitely worth a look as the lower position is, I believe, lower that the S-bars and you still have the sit-up-and-beg option. Be aware that the handlebar choice affects your choice of front luggage - a strong point of the bike and I couldn't do without having this option (the rack is all very well but you have to unload it before you can do the first fold - a real pest). You need to try them out. A conversion I'm contemplating this year with the bars on mine is to fit bullhorns - there are a few examples out there on the interweb and I think it will give me my preferred position (fnaar fnaar).

Forget the Brooks saddle for now and focus on putting the money into things that will be expensive to change/upgrade later. I now have a Brooks titanium I picked up in a sale so go with standard now and keep your eyes peeled. I always like to have two sets of lights on all of my bikes so give some thought to the hub dynamo as that will be more difficult to change later but it does add weight and the lights are not exactly at eye level - I had the SON one retro-fitted (that was the only choice at the time) and have never looked back but I suspect that your mileage may vary.

In terms of the whole weight thing I believe that you're doing something wrong if you're carrying it. I drag mine around from behind the saddle on the rear rack wheels but then I am a short-arse - there is another way of wheeling it around using the easy-wheels and having the handlebars extended.

Definitely mudguards.

Master
    I've got a M6L which I use daily. In hindsight I should have gone for three gears as that's all I use. I'd definitely recommend the marathon plus tyres as they are very hard wearing and mud guards are necessary if you don't want your bike covered in mud and dirt.

I never bothered with the Brooks saddle as the Brompton one is comfortable enough. I'd recommend getting the front carry block fitted in case you decide on a bag, I have the T bag and it's excellent. I personally didn't bother with the dynamo lights and have a set of cheap lights fitted.

It's well worth joining the Brompton Facebook group for ideas and advice.

Grand Master
    I have an S6L,

Mudguards are a winner to cater for getting caught out

6 Gears - Always use the same 3 but nice to have the others for the just in case!

Straight Bars (Im a Roadie)

I went for the Raw Laquer finish and alot of people comment on it, mainly other owners who wish they had gone to Brompton Junction for the colour choice. Tricked it up with Brooks Leather Saddle and Grips and I love it.
    RIAC

I've had 1, 3, 5 and 6 speed ones. My preference is for 3 speeds, the 5 and 6 speed ones didnt seem to offer that much more and added complexity.

I like the standard bars too - though I have in the past fitted stubby bars ends with good results.

Im a big Brooks fan and fitted a brand new tan spring one to my current bike.

Mudguards and front carrier system are a must - though I went for a nice retro looking Carridice pannier - I love the look and think that it goes well with the Brooks.

I bought my bike 2nd hand for £500

The red one on the left is my wifes L3 bought new nearly 20 years ago and still going strong

Last edited by Velorum; 10th June 2015 at 21:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Seem to have narrowed it down from Brompton bike builder to a S3L with white and black frame, mudguards and Brooks saddle and will be taking a closer look at a cycle shop. This pretty much take me up to the £1000 cyclescheme maximum voucher.

But, for those of you that own one what is your recommendation. I thought 3 gears for flexibility rather than 6 which has the extra cables and more weight. What about the Brooks saddle, is it worth it? And, I do like an upright riding position, which is not a strength of the S model, but it looks the best.

Any other things I need to think about, such as the tyres? I wish they would cut down the options to make choosing one easier!
    I used to run the Purchasing Dept than bought 6000 bicycles every year, most of which was for town use.

3 speed hub gears are definately the most robust gears ever made and will last forever with hardly any maintenance.

Brooks saddles are a longterm investment as they are comfortable because whilst firm, they mould to the shape of your bum. The main downside is that if you buy second hand, you are sitting on someone elses bum shape. Also you have got to ensure they don't get wet.

Good luck in your choice.

Regards

Mick

Every now and then I apply some Brooks leather dressing to the underside of the saddle and work it well in with my fingers - helps keep it in nice condition and prevent it drying out. I pack a spare carrier bag in the pannier to pop on if its raining and the bike is parked up outside - which isn't very often as I usually just fold it up and take it into wherever with me

I agree with the above comments re them moulding to you bum shape - I would certainly not buy a used one
    Last edited by Velorum; 10th June 2015 at 21:27.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

I agree with the above comments re them moulding to you bum shape - I would certainly not buy a used one
    Thats a whole new thread just waiting to happen
    RIAC

Which Brompton Bike?

If you're tall you'll need the extending seat post. The folding pedal might be a standard fit now, if not its well worth it. And the clip on bags are great. I wouldn't bother with the hub Dynamo and light set, you can get better after market gear now. It's worth trying the different bar types - I went for S type in the end but didn't think of them until I'd tried them.

The thing about the saddle is that the OE one is also a carrying handle, not sure if the Brooke's has the same ergonomics

Whatever you get, Enjoy!

Grand Master
    Here's my little gem
    RIAC

Thanks for the comments and advice. Going to try some out this weekend.

The raw lacquer looks fantastic, but not sure it's a £150 option I can afford to tick.

Master
    Some great examples here and as I'll be looking to get one in the future this has really whetted the appetite

Grand Master

The raw lacquer looks fantastic, but not sure it's a £150 option I can afford to tick.
    You will still be enjoying the look long after you forget the money
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I only had mine a couple of weeks before selling it. I did not like the flex when riding, bit unnerving!

IMG_2915 by sma.ll, on Flickr
    Last edited by SNA; 12th June 2015 at 10:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Here's my little gem
    Can I ask what sort of money that came in with that spec?

And where do you need to go to get one?

How much do you save if you don't get the Brooks saddle? This really is an example of an upgrade that you need to do at the start - the saddle can be done anytime.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

https://www.brompton.com/Buy/Build-your-Brompton

Have a look there, all the available options can be selected and it will give you a build price.

Any bike shop that sells Brompton can order one for you.

I've had a very different experience with a Brooks saddle. Cost me a relative fortune at the time and 8 years later after 1500 miles a year it still felt like an ironing board. Never again.

Well, until I wanted one for my Brompton. This one is hard as a rock as well. Temporarily replaced by a Charge Spoon while I work on it...
    Last edited by catch21; 12th June 2018 at 11:04.

Cycle to work time at work again. £1k voucher but can go over at my own cost.

C line is now 2 or 6 gears only, bit annoying. Three gears means getting the A line. Doubt a P Line at £2.3k would be worth it but a special edition emerald green is coming in a month.

Trying to locate a yellow C Line explore which is proving difficult on the Halfords scheme. Condor sold their last one one Friday.

Anyone have a recommendation for a Brompton store which takes the Halfords scheme? Thank you

Just a comment that I thought the c2w scheme definitely didn’t allow you to top it up. Think you are constrained by the voucher value?

Which Brompton Bike?

Not officially allowed but locals will do it. Did the same before with the same shop when buying the P Line electric.

If you want to keep to the £1000, a Brompton A line is £950. Then retrofit with mudguards and folding pedal which almost brings it up to a C line.

A bit utilitarian in white, but does the job. It has 3 gears.

I have a 3 speed and 6 speed. If I’m around London or the hills are very gentle then the 3 speed is perfect and totally unfussy with hub arrangement and single gear selector.

Any hills then I take my 6 speed which has two gear selector for a hub/derailleur combination

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post

Brilliant Bikes in Chobham if you live that way. Hannah is very helpful and the shop is very friendly + you can buy on line.

I have flat bar and my other half has the traditional bar set up. I much prefer the flat bar and have 6 gears which I prefer too.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Not officially allowed but locals will do it. Did the same before with the same shop when buying the P Line electric.
    My local shop allows me to use money on the scheme to service bikes. This is not allowed on the scheme, but more local mom and pop bikes independent bike shops tend to be more flexible in my experience.

I have scheme credit with them now which I chip away at with repairs or parts.

Think I'll go test a medium and flat c line on the weekend.

My P Line electric is high but I wouldn't go high is using manual effort only.

Kerry's one above looks 10/10. Really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Think I'll go test a medium and flat c line on the weekend.

My P Line electric is high but I wouldn't go high is using manual effort only.

Kerry's one above looks 10/10. Really nice.
    Hooked by the Brompton bug :-)

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

I've the S6L bought off Kerry. Bought Liz a B75 3 speed. The recommendation I would buy is the tool kit, front bag holder, mudguards, and led lights.
    Keep the tyres inflated to 100psi and invest in a track pump.
    A bike stand for servicing is useful.
    A 'Dimpa' bag from IKEA is good for storage if the bikes wet or muddy after a ride to use in the car boot or seats.

I've been servicing a mate's 6 speed Brompton for a while and in the main it's a joy to work on, except for the derailleur-style gear that swaps between the two rear cogs. Great when it works but it seems to have to be pristinely clean in order to work properly. Unfortunately where it's situated it picks up a world of road grime so, on my mate's bike which gets pretty much daily use, seems to work for about a fortnight. He's given up on it now.

On the other hand, 3-speed Sturmy Archer hubs will probably be the only thing left working after the bomb goes off...

So, in short, go with the 3 speed if you want something bullet-proof, or the 6 if you like cleaning and stripping bikes.

Looks like the last of the 3 speed C-Lines is the C-Line Utility which doesn’t exist in 2023 but there are old 2022 models in stock at quite a few places. Could be a decent compromise but not much choice on colour.

I think Tredz had a sale on a couple of models and they accept Halfords scheme voucher.

Otherwise could be worth trying your ‘local’ Halfords Brompton dealer where they can order and check their warehouse I believe.

Forgot to look at my benefits again and the window closed. Looks like I'm down for a £1k cycle voucher. Shame the value is capped so low but oh well.

Think the 2023 three speed is out because the only nice colour is lacquer which is the same price as the 6 speed 2023. The 2023 equivalent is 2 speed so a non starter.

Looks like a C Line Explore 6 speed or a P Line YOLO. P Line in Emerald Green due next month in retailers but leaked pics don't look great. Was originally going to be called Oil Rig but they changed their mind.

Does anyone here have a T Line?