closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: To cull or not to cull the Seiko collection

To cull or not to cull the Seiko collection

Afternoon all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here and the reason why is this post. I've been a collector of Seikos for the last 6 or so years and have based my collection on getting all original models - but only one per series/model/colour. I've always aimed to collect the usual suspects as well as having a thing for Divers and 7A28s, and lived by the rule of wearing a different one each week.

This rotation policy all changed when I bought a Marinemaster off here and since then (over 2 months), nothing else has been on my wrist. The issue I'm finding is the MM is so well built as well as being a weighty piece of kit, everything else just feels too light. It's also had me thinking if I need so many and just to pick a few that I really love and wear those.

What I was thinking of doing is culling my 7A28s and a few of my 6138s, mainly as I just don't see me wearing them that much going forward. However it hasn't been easy getting the collection together and I don't think getting this many 7As again would be that quick to do. I'd imagine lots of you have been in a similar position and wondered what you did - plus if you then regretted selling afterwards. The ones possibly up for the chop are in the red boxes (the one gap is my MM of course) but I'm yet to make up my mind. The joy of being a collector with ever-changing tastes!

Thanks

You've described yourself as a collector and what you have there is a nice 'collection' as opposed to a 'rotation'. I'd say to keep them unless it really bothers you having money tied up in unworn watches, but since you mentioned wearing them one at a time for a week each I'm guessing you are comfortable not wearing them and just owning them.
    That's a pretty impressive walk in watch box by the way!

If you sell some of them there will be obvious gaps in the case. What will you fill it with?
    Or do you have other watches or non watch stuff to go in there already?

Lovely.First refusal on the 7A28s please if you do decide to sell.But if I were you I would keep the collection intact.

Thanks for the comments and advice, I have to admit the watch box 'holes' is a factor but I was tempted just to build another one. The first was a trial anyway and I have a few new tools to play with now.

It's just one of those things where you think is it worth having money tied up in something you don't use that often but if I sold them, I don't know what I'd buy instead as a DSSD is too much of s stretch - even if I sold the entire collection!

I may try to change to another one tomorrow and see how I feel from there.

It is a pleasure to see such a smashing collection being so well looked after - besides good taste, it is clearly the result of a lot of effort. That you appreciate these watches is self evident - I suspect they can keep on giving for a good while yet.
    Regarding the money aspect - quite honestly I think your display case is too full on in its entirety. If it were mine, I would be reminded of the total expenditure every time I opened the door. You might instead consider storing some of them more securely in a series of Pelicases and access them less frequently. Upon retrieving and opening a Pelicase after a few weeks interval, the contents can feel all like new again. It's also a test as to which, if any you miss.

Sorry Bobfrog ... I can't be objective any longer...For God's Sake...Sell Me One of Those Chronos Immediately !!!

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    It is a pleasure to see such a smashing collection being so well looked after - besides good taste, it is clearly the result of a lot of effort. That you appreciate these watches is self evident - I suspect they can keep on giving for a good while yet.
    Regarding the money aspect - quite honestly I think your display case is too full on in its entirety. If it were mine, I would be reminded of the total expenditure every time I opened the door. You might instead consider storing some of them more securely in a series of Pelicases and access them less frequently. Upon retrieving and opening a Pelicase after a few weeks interval, the contents can feel all like new again. It's also a test as to which, if any you miss.

Sorry Bobfrog ... I can't be objective any longer...For God's Sake...Sell Me One of Those Chronos Immediately !!!
    Thanks for the kind words and it's good to be reminded of the effort I put in, though some of it was other kind people answering WTBs and being in the right place at the right time. I'd never thought about the security of the cabinet or having them on display. Plus it's a great idea to put them out of sight and then see which ones I still like when I open it. I'll have a look into that...

It's an interesting dilemma, time to sleep on it.

Just to echo some of the sentiments earlier in the thread it appears to be a thought through collection you've invested time in, and while I'd love to be in line to pick up one of those chrono's i think you might regret moving them on. I imagine trying to rectify any sellers remorse might be difficult as they all look to be in great condition. So in short keep them ☺

Master
    Blog Entries
    I understand your feelings and sympathise.
    I have been there too.

But the chronos are just so grand together. Please don't split them up!

Cheers!

I had a whole bunch of nice Seikos that I was not wearing much so decided to let go.
    From time to time I come across the same models that are selling at considerably more than I sold them for, and I regret selling them.
    They are also getting rarer and rarer.
    If you really need the money then do it, otherwise I would be inclined to hang on.

Craftsman
    Unless the funds are needed for something else I would keep them. That collection has obviously taken time and effort to build up and it would be a shame to sell them and regret it later

Don't sell anything you don't need the money from.
    It's just a matter of time...

I understand you wanting to cull the collection. I am considering doing the same. I have been buying vintage Seiko's for over ten years, buying LM, KS, GS, WeekDaters, Bell-Matic, Chrono's, Chronometers, Divers, etc.. etc.. So now I have over 70 Seiko's I think it's time to sell some of my earlier aquisitions, keeping only some of my favourites and concentrate on my diver collection.

Thanks everyone for the input - given the strength of the opinions (it's pretty one-sided!) and the fact I'm not selling to put the money into something else, I think I'll keep them for the time being. You've all pointed out some great reasons why and helped make the mind of someone who was on the fence.

Now I just need to find somewhere better to store them...

Thanks again everyone.

Apprentice
    That's a really impressive collection there. The yellow dial chrono in the top red box (May be for sale) or the similar one below it that is not for sale bring back distant memories for me. It was possibly the lower one that I had but the story is, it was my pride & joy and I paid approx. £89+ for it in approx. 1977/1978, and one morning in early '79 I was going in to work on my motorbike and had the misfortune to crash, the bike which was 6 months old was written off but worse still my Seiko was destroyed, the glass being missing and the hands twisted but remarkably it was still ticking. Always had a thing for Seikos since.

Journeyman
    Keep them, don't let go..... Put them to one side and start on your next project. Think how much these will be worth in years to come.

Stunning collection :) Was hoping some would come up for sale, but agree you've made the right decision!

I've only got one Seiko Chrono (Pogue) and absolutely love it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    You've described yourself as a collector and what you have there is a nice 'collection' as opposed to a 'rotation'. I'd say to keep them unless it really bothers you having money tied up in unworn watches, but since you mentioned wearing them one at a time for a week each I'm guessing you are comfortable not wearing them and just owning them.
    That's a pretty impressive walk in watch box by the way!
    Walk in watch box... amazing

Immediately lie down and wait patiently until the urge to sell passes. Once recovered, rehab yourself by adding more watches to that stunning collection. If you put your mind to it, you can fit a whole lot more Seikos in your nice storage cabinet.

Green with envy, very nice group of Seikos.

Dave

That's a wonderful collection. Ask yourself are you tired of being a Museum curator that exhibits for only one person?

If so, then sell them ALL and buy one super Seiko. If not, then you have a nice collection but I think you are missing a few iconic pieces, maybe cull some of the chronos and those pepsi divers and get more of the 6138/9.

More specifically sell the bottom 4 rows except the tuna. Also sell the pogue in the top left.

Craftsman
    It has only been 2 months or so since you bought the MM and a lot longer than that to put together the collection. You have something special invested in the collection and the MM so this vote is to keep enjoying both.

Craftsman
    Keep the Marine Master, flog the rest and get a spring drive. Use the cupboard for hanging ties/storing CDs or something...

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    Keep the Marine Master, flog the rest and get a spring drive. Use the cupboard for hanging ties/storing CDs or something...
    Interesting analysis.

Master
    I love them, great collection. Would the like bullhead

Master
    It's very easy to end up with a "collection" of Seikos.. I use the quotation marks because I've never bought one with the intention of adding to a collection, yet I'm sure I have six or seven of them. So many styles, so many functions, so many price points.

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    That's a wonderful collection. Ask yourself are you tired of being a Museum curator that exhibits for only one person?

If so, then sell them ALL and buy one super Seiko. If not, then you have a nice collection but I think you are missing a few iconic pieces, maybe cull some of the chronos and those pepsi divers and get more of the 6138/9.

More specifically sell the bottom 4 rows except the tuna. Also sell the pogue in the top left.
    Interesting point - there are ones I couldn't bring myself to sell (62MAS, 6105, 6309 plus my Golden Tuna). Which iconic pieces would you reckon would help? I know the 6159 is on the list but it's just too expensive - not that I'm considering adding more watches but always interesting to get another POV.

And the museum curator is a good point - you should see my Lego, Nike Air Max and 1980s Transformer collection. I tell myself it's just a guy thing

Master
    Keep them until you have an urge to pick up something else imho.

Looking at the 7A's, I have the urge, again, to get one.

Journeyman

Lovely collection

That's a lovely watch collection. I think the pogues would be the last watch I'd consider selling, values are rising still and there's a lot of bitsas coming from Asia that look like pogues. Most of the good ones are already in collections IMO and won't be on the market again for a while.

Great collection

What a great collection, the 6105 would be the last one I''d sell. We're here for a good time not a long time and there's no coming back. Keep them all if you enjoy wearing them even if it is infrequently.