closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Aristo Kampfschwimmer homage?

Master

Aristo Kampfschwimmer homage?

Greetings. I am no military watch expert, but I'd like to ask what you think of this one?

http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/img/400Kampfsch.jpg

I believe it?s a homage to a German WWII diver?s watch made by Rolex, which in turn was a copy of an Italian watch (Panerai?), but I don?t know the history that well. I hope others can supply some insight.

The Aristo site doesn?t state the dimensions, but if it?s powered by an ETA-2824, then my guess is ~ 42 mm, based on the position of the date window. I have no idea how big the original was.

I am not sure it?s pretty :? , but it caught my eye?

Hoping to learn more,

Gert

Master

Update

Using my limited German skills I managed to ask them re. the dimensions and they answered:

Width: 45 mm / Diagonal: 53 mm / Height: 15 mm / Lug width: 21 mm

Gert

Grand Master

Re: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Gert
    Using my limited German skills I managed to ask them re. the dimensions and they answered:

Width: 45 mm / Diagonal: 53 mm / Height: 15 mm / Lug width: 21 mm

Gert
    Hello Gert,

if you give the URL of the info I may be able to help.

The Kunstfliegeruhr at http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de/ looks like a very nice B-Uhren homage, though.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master
    Oh, I can read German quite well, but when trying to write it, I get caught by the grammar :lol: . They simply didn't state the dimensions in the listing. So I dropped them a mail.

The watch is in fact on http://www.aristo-uhrenvertrieb.de under the heading "Kampfschwimmer, U-Boot, Taucher, Marine" There are more pics there, but no design history mentioned.

I agree re. the Kunstflieger. It's really nice looking, and the hands are nice and big. Some of their earlier designs weren't as legible. Happily, Aristo is usually very generous with the superluminova (I have a poorly managed luminescence and tritium fetish :D )

Regards,

Gert

Grand Master
    Stainless steel case, beadblasted
    domed crystal
    massive leather strap
    automatic movement
    display back
    luminous indices and hands
    superluminova
    includes beautiful box
    width 45mm
    diagonal 53 mm
    height 15mm

Hope that helps.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gert
    (I have a poorly managed luminescence and tritium fetish :D )
    So do I. Have you had a look at the Traser or Luminoxes? Haven't found anything better, and there is also an automatic variant of the Traser.

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Traser-typewatches

Thanks for the info, Crusader.

Yes indeed, I like Trasers. I got myself a Luminox 801 "Ultimate" field watch on a trip to the US. In Europe they only market the chrono version, and that dial is a little busy to my taste. Great watch, which can be dressed up a bit with a nice strap and worn in the office . But nowadays I keep on a black rhino.

Traser tubes are a hit with kids of all ages. My five-year old daughter insists that I wear it when I put her to bed.

Regards,

Gert

A was offered something like the Aristo Kampfschwimmer a couple of years ago and had a few concerns because:

1. The case was hollow
    2. The lugs were strong wire, bent and pushed through holes in the case and soldered at the back

Not exactly what I expected and I didn't think it would be a particularly durable watch. I have to say that it was NOT the Aristo I was offered but the resemblance is uncanny. I would want to know a lot more about the construction of the Aristo before buying.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Thanks Eddie. The photos on that site could be consistent with such a construction. I wonder what they do with all the extra space?

But that California dial is very cool looking...

Regards,

Gert

It looks uncannily like the UHR-KRAFT http://tinyurl.com/ir6h - one with an ETA and the other one with a Russian mov.

To me it looks like a large version of the early cushion Oyster which was used to fulfill the Panerai order. I was never aware that the Germans also requested the watch and the Cali dial gives me a sneaking suspicion that this is where ARISTO got the info:

http://www.ukwatches.com/images/kampf.jpg
    http://www.ukwatches.com/Notes/kampf.html

I just cannot see the Germans wanting a Cali dial after seeing the ?arabic? Panerai. I think ARISTO made a fact out of a theory. I wish I had the Knirim book ...

Strangely enough, as lovely as the case looks (well, I love it) it actually doesn't look very good on the wrist. I've seen someone with a modern Panerai Radiomir and it just ... doesn't look right.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master
    Thanks for the nice links, John.

Actually, I didn?t see any historic description or claims on that particular Aristo site. Just to be fair, the historical speculation was mine, not Aristo?s.
    My mad guessing was based on some postings I saw last summer on the Paneristi forum. (These guys really like their brand and show a lot of cool pictures).

I agree with your point re. the California dial. It?s a fun dial, but not a no-nonsense military design. And surely you are right re. the Uhr-kraft case. It looks a lot like the Kampfschwimmer. I am not sure that kind of watch is my cup of tea, but it sure is different.

Have an enjoyable weekend (getting ready to log off at the salt mine myself)!

Gert

PS: I learned a fun new term: cushion oyster :lol: but it is descriptive!