closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first Amphibia...thoughts and pics

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I wouldn't usually have considered this dial but now that I am wearing it see the appeal
    That's one of my favourite Vostok dials. It's very clean and readable, yet still has the distinctive Russian personality.

one of my recent purchases along with an old radio room (one of the forum re-issues when vostok went to pot then bounced back and now do their own)

Craftsman
    Great review!

Xantiagib
    one of my recent purchases along with an old radio room (one of the forum re-issues when vostok went to pot then bounced back and now do their own)
    I have the new Vostok black version of the radio room. Perfect watch for the money!

Mine finally arrived today after a long wait in Heathrow..

The scuba dude is so familiar to a lot of collectors, however I haven't seen the silver variety before, I had to have it!

Pair this up with a Boris bezel (with seiko 007 insert) and a nice mesh bracelet..

Another beater! I don't actually like referring to my watches as 'beaters' but at £50-60 all in, I can probably afford to knock this one about a bit

- Ian

Master
    That's a great looking scuba dude, one of the newer styles coming through and it looks the business in silver too.
    Enjoy.

Tip top post

Good read and great pitures, thanks for taking the time

Paul

The 420 no date scuba dudes look excellent!

Ive just ordered a blue one - I aim to fit it with a boris bezel with blue Seiko insert

420 with same dial as in original post - fitted this morning with a Boris bezel (Seiko insert) on a new black Eulit perlon strap

420 with same dial as in original post - fitted this morning with a Boris bezel (Seiko insert) on a new black Eulit perlon strap

Ah that looks great. I'm still thinking about doing this myself...any chance you could post some more pics? A colour shot and one showing the side profile of the new bezel would be very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Uke1 View Post
    Ah that looks great. I'm still thinking about doing this myself...any chance you could post some more pics? A colour shot and one showing the side profile of the new bezel would be very much appreciated!
    No problem

Remember that there are two profiles available - with a case such as the 420 you need get this type to ensure that there is clearance for the crown

Ian

No problem

Remember that there are two profiles available - with a case such as the 420 you need get this type to ensure that there is clearance for the crown

Ian
    Ah you're a gent Ian! Thanks for the quick pics

Do you notice the extra heft of this bezel on your wrist? It's already quite a top heavy case I'm just not sure if this will push it over the edge of what my wrist can handle. They look so good though!

Ah you're a gent Ian! Thanks for the quick pics

Do you notice the extra heft of this bezel on your wrist? It's already quite a top heavy case I'm just not sure if this will push it over the edge of what my wrist can handle. They look so good though!
    No problem

The extra heft is minimal and it certainly doesn't feel at all top heavy to me - even when worn loosely on a thin nylon strap

Ian

No problem

The extra heft is minimal and it certainly doesn't feel at all top heavy to me - even when worn loosely on a thin nylon strap

Ian
    Okay, you've convinced me. Off bezel shopping I go!

Great post, thanks OP.

And I'm really liking that silver scuba dude!!

No problem

Ian
    Like that a lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    That's the nice thing about these watches: I read this and decided to give it a try. Added a vintage strap and there you go:

Véry nice period combo on that Tropic type!

Mine arrived this morning, taking just 11 days from the date of ordering. I must say for the money I'm very impressed, although I have binned the bracelet and replaced it with a decent mesh which I had lying around doing nothing. Size wise it's ideal for my skinny wrists and will make the perfect holiday watch when I head to the South of France next Tuesday for 3 weeks of camping.

Thanks again to the op for the comprehensive review which prompted my purchase.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Véry nice period combo on that Tropic type!
    Just bought a Tropic off SC for my 420se after seeing this shot, gonna look great!

A quick update after some simple modding. I fitted a plain black bezel and nickel hands from Meranom to give it a bit of a smarter look.

On a few different coloured straps...

On the wrist...

I much prefer the silver seconds hand but I think I might actually be missing the shiny dot bezel! I've been toying with the idea of taking the regular dot bezel, painting in the red dots black and luming the 12 marker. I did a quick photoshop mockup...

Might work? I'll see how I get on with the black bezel for a little while I think. Other things worth a mention - I've decided at 18mm lugs the 420 just doesn't sit right on a NATO (Perlon all the way!), over a year on and the case is still water tight, movement still keeping around +3 secs per day :)

Cheers for now!

Uke

Craftsman
    A quick update after some simple modding. I fitted a plain black bezel and nickel hands from Meranom to give it a bit of a smarter look.

On a few different coloured straps...

On the wrist...

I much prefer the silver seconds hand but I think I might actually be missing the shiny dot bezel! I've been toying with the idea of taking the regular dot bezel, painting in the red dots black and luming the 12 marker. I did a quick photoshop mockup...

Might work? I'll see how I get on with the black bezel for a little while I think. Other things worth a mention - I've decided at 18mm lugs the 420 just doesn't sit right on a NATO (Perlon all the way!), over a year on and the case is still water tight, movement still keeping around +3 secs per day :)

Cheers for now!

Uke
    That'll look great with the old bezel painted. A really decent dial variation too.

I went ceramic and have never looked back:

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've just caught up with this thread and want to add my thanks to the OP for his great initial post.

Strangely enough for the last few weeks, after months of it lying unused, I have taken to wearing my (blue) "scuba dude" version on a blue rubber strap with white stitching.

I especially like to wear it at the gym when it gets charged up and where I know it won't come to any harm should come up against any of the weight machines. In fact I'd be rather worried that the machines might come off the worst in any collision with this tough little watch. :)

Like that gold handset very much, is it from Meranom?

Grand Master
    great review, time i got one again i think.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Bought an Amphibia from a Russian seller after seeing a lot of positive reviews
    Came with one of the lume markers floating around on dial and when I tired to set time, the crown came loose in my hand!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Came with one of the lume markers floating around on dial and when I tired to set time, the crown came loose in my hand!
    The crown is supposed to be loose when unscrewed, like a canteen top (definitely not like a Rolex or a Tudor ;) .) Presumably still attached to the watch?

The lume isn't though, that sounds bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It happens to the best of them.

Amphibia's are proper dive watches that cost buttons, but I suppose they are an acquired taste. If you ever dip a toe in the water again go to Meranom or Poljot24. Both reliable sellers with good customer service.

I bought an Amphibia and was very impressed they are great VFM imo .

I just traded away a 710 with the numbered dial for a 710 Scuba Dude. Having already a 470 with the numbered dial in my watchbox, the 710 was not getting any wrist time.

This came in...

This went out...

...because it looked too much like this one I already had.

I will say that I have owned probably thirty of these through the years, mostly the old Soviet versions. The newer ones from Meranom are very impressive for the price. I don't think anyone has raised their game in the last few years as much as Vostok.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Like that gold handset very much, is it from Meranom?
    Yes, custom painted second hand tip. Black date wheel also from Meranom via special order. Also has a see through case back and gold roter.

Despite owning a Rolex Explorer and a speedy pro plus a few other goodies, the Amphibia will always be my favorite watch.

Very nice Grandsire. I agree Vostocks have a unique charm, very low ownership cost and good water resistance makes wearing them in all circumstances completely stress free and great fun; the ratio of smiles to price for me is a no brainer.

Admittedly their QC could be further improved.

Very nice Grandsire. I agree Vostocks have a unique charm, very low ownership cost and good water resistance makes wearing them in all circumstances completely stress free and great fun; the ratio of smiles to price for me is a no brainer.

Admittedly their QC could be further improved.

Whoops double post, sorry.