closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strap Advice..

Journeyman

Strap Advice..

I've got a christopher ward watch and the strap and one of the retaining pins has been damaged,, Christopher ward want anywhere between £60-£70 for a new strap, which i'm fine with; but just thought i'd ask if theres any alternatives, that are maybe better quality/value..

These are the suggestions from christopher ward..

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/wat...t-c8-nato.html
    http://www.christopherward.co.uk/wat...sxt-c8-sc.html

Thanks Max..

I recently picked up a Hirsch Liberty in brown from Ernest Jones for £30 (should have been £39, but it was labelled wrongly and they honoured it).

Nice quality, and might suit that quite well.

Lots out there.

Take a look here for a good selection, at good prices. I've bought from here before and can recommend them: http://www.timefactors.com/tfstraps.htm. :)

Alternately, watchworx also has a good range of good value straps.

Master
    There are any number of nice straps that would work - just choose the colour, material, and price range you prefer and google away.

Whatever you choose, I would ditch the quick release spring bars - I find that they tend to cause wear, as per your images, and they are more prone to unwanted detachment.

Master
    Look - replacement straps from the manufacturers are always complete rip offs!

Apart from Watchworx / thestrapshop.co.uk (highly recommended), look at:

http://www.watch-band-center.com
    http://www.strapfactory.com/
    http://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk

...and there are loads of other, higher end, ones.

Any 22mm strap will work (I'd echo the comments on dumping the 'quick release' springbars, they don't serve any real purpose for most people/uses).

I'd recommend a Hirsch or Di-Modell leather strap of some sort, but there are plenty of options, even (shudder) nylon ones!

Something like this : http://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk/Birken...ck-339-S6.html might work pretty well and is certainly cheap enough to give it a go.

You might find the non-quick-release springbars a fiddle to fit by hand, so either buy a tool (eBay - Bergeon is your best bet) or pop into your local watch repairers, even the most cack handed is unlikely to do any damage and the cost should be negligible.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 2nd June 2015 at 14:03.

Craftsman
    +1 for the hirsch Liberty in brown. Also tons of options on eBay

Journeyman
    Wow, glad I asked now plenty to look at there and much cheaper.. thanks for the links

Journeyman
    Dude no...There's way cheaper options online.

But, as you suggest that price may not be an issue, then there might better options yet. For the amount that Christopher Ward is charging you can create your own watch strap from the finest spots. Look at http://www.camillefournet.com/en/cre...ur-watch-strap. You can design it the way you wanted, and do whatever you want to it....and pay less than £70. They've got a spot in one of the arcades near Piccadilly (not Burlington arcade)

www.watchobsession.co.uk hasn't been mentioned yet, great selection.

Make sure you measure the end at the buckle as well!! Most 22mm straps taper to 20mm though.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    www.watchobsession.co.uk hasn't been mentioned yet, great selection.

Make sure you measure the end at the buckle as well!! Most 22mm straps taper to 20mm though.
    That only REALLY matters if you want to use the buckle from your existing strap, I guess, but I'd echo the recommendation for watchobsession - Good for Hirsch, especially.

M

Journeyman
    I suggest Italian leather - Colareb handmade, it should fit this watch very well.

Quote Originally Posted by franbedoya007 View Post
    Dude no...There's way cheaper options online.

But, as you suggest that price may not be an issue, then there might better options yet. For the amount that Christopher Ward is charging you can create your own watch strap from the finest spots. Look at http://www.camillefournet.com/en/cre...ur-watch-strap. You can design it the way you wanted, and do whatever you want to it....and pay less than £70. They've got a spot in one of the arcades near Piccadilly (not Burlington arcade)
    'Dude'; the cheapest leather at CF starts at Eu145.

And they are in Paris. Jean Rousseau has a shop in Piccadilly however, and having many straps from both makers, I would always go with JR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That only REALLY matters if you want to use the buckle from your existing strap, I guess, but I'd echo the recommendation for watchobsession - Good for Hirsch, especially.

M
    True - but I am assuming CW brand their buckles? I'd always want to keep a branded OEM buckle where possible!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'd echo the comments on dumping the 'quick release' springbars, they don't serve any real purpose for most people/uses
    I had quick-release spring bars on one watch and found them wonderfully useful when changing straps; it was so easy! But I've had spring bars fail on me only once, and you guessed it, it was a quick-release one. So I'd reiterate the above advice and say stick to regular spring bars.

And they are in Paris. Jean Rousseau has a shop in Piccadilly however, and having many straps from both makers, I would always go with JR.

- - - Updated - - -

True - but I am assuming CW brand their buckles? I'd always want to keep a branded OEM buckle where possible!
    Yeah, fair point (they do, btw), but it's (obviously, but the OP may not know) not essential if, for example, you prefer the non-tapered looked.

M.

Journeyman

- - - Updated - - -

It is a branded buckle, are those interchangeable too..

Journeyman

- - - Updated - - -

Dude haha. I got mine for €106 ( ~£75) around this time last year (maybe a sale of sorts). But you are right, I stand corrected, it is Jean Rousseau - which is always a great option.

the cheapest leather at CF starts at Eu145.

I have a CF strap, made to order. Lovely, lovely strap, but when it arrived I decided it didn't suit the watch I'd intended it for, so alas it remains unworn. :(

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I have a CF strap, made to order. Lovely, lovely strap, but when it arrived I decided it didn't suit the watch I'd intended it for, so alas it remains unworn. :(
    sell it to Maxest haha

Quote Originally Posted by maxest View Post
    It is a branded buckle, are those interchangeable too..
    I've got a C11 on a rubber strap, that's got an interchangeable buckle, so I guess the leather is the same (it looks very similar from what I can see in your photo).

There's just a spring bar in that end too, that holds the buckle and tang onto the strap.

M

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Any pics? Are you looking to sell

Quote Originally Posted by franbedoya007 View Post
    give it to Maxest haha
    Nice idea lol

Quote Originally Posted by stere View Post
    I suggest Italian leather - Colareb handmade, it should fit this watch very well.
    Thanks for that. I'd not heard of ColaReb but now I've found the plain leather 20x16 mm strap without stitching that I've been searching for.
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd June 2015 at 14:50. Reason: correct link

Journeyman
    just checked out ColaReb. Thanks for the note - I've got a nice watch that could use a strap with that style

I would recommend a oil tanned leather hadley roma strap, i have them on two of my watches and they are a favourite of mine and prefer them to the hirsch liberty straps i have

http://www.westonwatchstraps.co.uk/p...esistant..html

Grand Master
    Brown straps with black dials don`t work IMO, not a look I favour.

Here's a strap I`ve used from Cousins. Not expensive and the quality's good.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/ha...-for-breitling

They also do a brown one.....but I`d go for the black.

Paul

Journeyman
    Depending on the watch a nice blue strap makes a watch that much better. I dont believe that a strap should be either brown/black, I think a nice subtle blue can also be good depending on the model of the watch

Master
    I have the same watch, got mine on a Hadley Roma (yes I do like brown straps on black faced watches), the original buckle fits well on this one.

Sorry slightly off topic,
    But what does the red marker at '3' indicate?

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    I have the same watch, got mine on a Hadley Roma (yes I do like brown straps on black faced watches), the original buckle fits well on this one.

I'd say that works!

They do do it in black, if you don't like the combo :)

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 8th June 2015 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Sorry slightly off topic,
    But what does the red marker at '3' indicate?
    I think it's supposed to represent a 'bug' of the sort used on aviation instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    I think it's supposed to represent a 'bug' of the sort used on aviation instruments.
    I had to look that up and found out that bug is a name for a moveable pointer at the bezel of aviation instruments, but I presume the one on this watch doesn't move, unlike that on the Precista Czech Air Force - PRS-9?

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I had to look that up and found out that bug is a name for a moveable pointer at the bezel of aviation instruments, but I presume the one on this watch doesn't move, unlike that on the Precista Czech Air Force - PRS-9?
    That's the chap! No, I'm pretty sure this one doesn't move - think it's just applied paint.

When I first saw this watch some time ago, given the shape and position of the 'bug' I thought it might be a moving indicator showing whether the crown was properly screwed down, but as far as I know, it serves no such useful purpose.

Still like the watch though
    Last edited by DMC102; 8th June 2015 at 17:56.