closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Boot Weekend Extravaganza

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Car Boot Weekend Extravaganza

I assume everyone knows the Tommy Cooper 'Stradivarius and Rembrandt' joke ?

If not just ask.

The ex came over from CH this weekend so I had the benefit of her young eyes to spot bargains I might miss.

Who said Car boot sales were better in Somerset ?

I actually found some timepieces this weekend and all at crazy knockdown prices:

German wall clock. All that was wrong with it was a loose pin stopping the mechanism from striking the right hour numerically:

An old Smiths Astral. Always good for parts. Especially the set lever spring, balance and shocksprings.

And a couple of autos for parts again:

A Swiza 8 day with a half globe glass:

Another 8 day:

A pair of watercolours. Is this Swindon ?

And another. I think I know where this is. London before the arrival of the Irish:

And now some camera stuff:

A sweet little Bakelite box:

A fish radio and a fish barometer:

Finally a bird table. I now feel my age. Not one bird has landed on it yet. perhaps it's my aftershave:

I try to limit myself to about £60.00 max.

Next port Ebay !

Brendan.
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 28th May 2015 at 08:14.

Greats scores and nice variety of items, it's nice to see some decent items getting picked up.

Craftsman
    Tommy Cooper joke?...

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtdukok View Post
    Tommy Cooper joke?...
    Not verbatim but: 'I went to an auction the other day. Bought a Stradivarius and a Rembrandt.' (holds up a violin). 'Unfortunately Rembrandt wasn't a very good violin maker. (breaks violin). 'And Stradivarius wasn't a very good painter'. (puts his hand through the painting)......

Great haul - good to see value recovered from what most nowadays would term junk!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Great haul - good to see value recovered from what most nowadays would term junk!
    Let's face it ! It is junk, but I'm addicted to the sport !

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I assume everyone knows the Tommy Cooper 'Stradivarius and Rembrandt' joke ?

If not just ask.

The ex came over from CH this weekend so I had the benefit of her young eyes to spot bargains I might miss.

Who said Car boot sales were better in Somerset ?

I actually found some timepieces this weekend and all at crazy knockdown prices:

German wall clock. All that was wrong with it was a loose pin stopping the mechanism from striking the right hour numerically:

An old Smiths Astral. Always good for parts. Especially the set lever spring, balance and shocksprings.

And a couple of autos for parts again:

A Swiza 8 day with a half globe glass:

Another 8 day:

A pair of watercolours. Is this Swindon ?

And another. I think I know where this is. London before the arrival of the Irish:

And now some camera stuff:

A sweet little Bakelite box:

A fish radio and a fish barometer:

Finally a bird table. I now feel my age. Not one bird has landed on it yet. perhaps it's my aftershave:

I try to limit myself to about £60.00 max.

Next port Ebay !

Brendan.
    Nice! Been looking at a wall clock myself. Don't know where to start in Glasgow. Total philistine no clue about the paintings
    I presume by birds you meant the feathered kind!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    Nice! Been looking at a wall clock myself. Don't know where to start in Glasgow. Total philistine no clue about the paintings
    I presume by birds you meant the feathered kind!!!
    What kind of wall clock do you want ? Maybe I can help.

Birds ? Yes, the feathered, plucked, frozen, roasted, ready to eat.... In fact any kind.

Not one has landed on my new bird table despite it being laden with food and water.

What am I missing ??

B.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post

Not one has landed on my new bird table despite it being laden with food and water.

What am I missing ??
    Birds are a bit cautious of new food sources. Give it a couple of weeks for them to get used to seeing the feeder and they will eventually come and investigate. Don't put too much food out at this stage as it will just go bad. Make sure it's out of range of cats!

Great haul Brendan!

I've got a Corvette watch like yours somewhere except it is nickel plated.

BTW The Bakelite Stratton's box is probably a ladies makeup/powder box. My Mrs used to collect old compacts and a lot of those were Stratton's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Birds are a bit cautious of new food sources. Give it a couple of weeks for them to get used to seeing the feeder and they will eventually come and investigate. Don't put too much food out at this stage as it will just go bad. Make sure it's out of range of cats!
    Thank you Bitfield. I was beginning to think it was my good looks that put them off.

The table is quite high. hopefully higher than a cat can jump.

A pigeon tried to land but couldn't reach the food.

Journeyman
    Don't know if I can face another car boot sale, the last few I've been to were truly awful. Just endless tables of unsellable tat. I think the rise of eBay has done a lot of damage to car boot sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    Don't know if I can face another car boot sale, the last few I've been to were truly awful. Just endless tables of unsellable tat. I think the rise of eBay has done a lot of damage to car boot sales.
    Definitely true re ebay.

In the old days at most boot sales I would usually get at least half a dozen old mechanical watches for peanuts as people didn't want that old fashioned stuff anymore.

Ah the good old days.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Some nice finds there. Whenever I go to car boots these days my enthusiasm is quickly dampened, only ever see a load of crap and hardly ever any mechanical timepieces any more. Guess they all head to ebay or get snapped up by the dealers before the causual buyers such as myself turn up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Some nice finds there. Whenever I go to car boots these days my enthusiasm is quickly dampened, only ever see a load of crap and hardly ever any mechanical timepieces any more. Guess they all head to ebay or get snapped up by the dealers before the causual buyers such as myself turn up.
    Thanks for all your comments. It's car boot day again tomorrow and Sunday.

The secret to success at car boot sales is to get there before the antique dealers.

They turn up with torches !

That means arriving at least half an hour before they are due to start. Sometimes I'm there at 6am.

All the good stuff is gone by 8am.

I don't think Ebay has killed the car boot at all.

In fact I sell a lot of my finds there at a good profit.

The stuff I found was so cheap you wouldn't believe.

B