closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifa corruption charges

Banned

Fifa corruption charges

Not before time, hopefully Blatter will go in the fallout.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/27/fo...ce-department/

It's easy to knock Team America, but when something smells funny they go at it until they find out what's making the stink.

I cannot see how Russia can hold a World Cup three years from now with the turmoil it is causing the world and even a caveman could see the Qatari tournament is a sham.

Craftsman
    Hope they get hung out to dry, it is clear that the top of FIFA is totally corrupt.

We have all known for years that FIFA is rotten to the core.
    Hopefully they get shut down, and the huge sums of cash taken out of the game by a few greedy and evil men, can be recovered.
    I think the Russia and Qatar scams were a step too far.

Master
    Blog Entries
    String Blatter up by his balls then kick balls at him till dead. I really hate that man and all he stands for, just surprised it's took this long

While I agree with all of the above...I'm amazed that someone somewhere finally decided to actually act on this.
    Good on 'em and i hope it sticks.
    I can think of a fair few others they should be going after too.

Banned
    I can confidently predict the following:
    1. Sep stays till Sep wants to go.
    2. Nobody rich loses any money.
    3. The lawyers get richer.
    4. Nothing changes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    4. Nothing changes.
    Perhaps, but this goes almost to the very top as one of the men arrested is the Fifa VP

I'd love to see that corrupt bunch get what's coming to them but somehow I doubt it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Fifa makes the banks look honest. And thats with todays FT reporting yet another big fine for banker naughtiness.

Master
    About time. Can only hope it also throws the plans for the world cup in Qatar into disarray too... I'm still reeling at the stories about the migrant workers being held there virtually as slaves, with over 1,000 already dead and approximately 4,000 forecast to have died in the building of the infrastructure for the event. How can corporation or, frankly, nation can endorse that event where so many have died to make it happen in this day and age simply horrifies me.

Journeyman
    Fifa have for a very long time now had an account with 'Staples'.

Apparently their order of brown envelopes per month keeps the company afloat.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    4. Nothing changes.
    Like any top structure in our society.

We get the īrightī to vote the color as their alibi.

At last, it was only last week that smug Blatter was saying that the US had nothing on FIFA. Let's hope it's the beginning of the end for this corrupt organisation. Fingers crossed that the investigation won't allow FIFA just to scapegoat a few high profile targets. If they co-operate and make a few deals, something the FIFA officials have always been good at, they should be able to nail Blatter.
    How international organisations will want to be involved in sponsorship while this goes on is going to interesting as pulling sponsorship will hurt them most. Great day all in all.
    Only downside I can see is that it gives the equally dubious, in my eyes, creep Platini a perfect platform to expand his position and that of UEFA.
    Last edited by Martin123; 27th May 2015 at 09:05.

The moment Blatter was doomed.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Brown might have been many things, but as far as I am aware the one thing he wasn't, in contrast to so many politicians, was corrupt.

FIFA, on the other hand, has been so obviously corrupt for decades, it is frankly absurd it has gone on for so long. Just goes to show, money makes the very rich untouchable.

Or maybe it did... I do hope things are slowly changing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Brown might have been many things, but as far as I am aware the one thing he wasn't, in contrast to so many politicians, was corrupt.

FIFA, on the other hand, has been so obviously corrupt for decades, it is frankly absurd it has gone on for so long. Just goes to show, money makes the very rich untouchable.

Or maybe it did... I do hope things are slowly changing.
    I wasn't suggesting for a second that Brown was corrupt, just pointing out that he's King Midas in reverse.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The moment Blatter was doomed.

Eddie
    I see that they are BOTH wearing gloves!
    Mike

Master
    Wow.. this story is really gaining some momentum. What a day!

BBC report:

Swiss prosecutors launch criminal investigation into 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.
    Separately, Swiss prosecutors launch a criminal case into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids

Fantastic news.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I wasn't suggesting for a second that Brown was corrupt, just pointing out that he's King Midas in reverse.

Eddie

Oh, I agree with that entirely.

Few men have been less suited to the role of PM than Broon.

Now Swiss prosecutors have launched a criminal investigation into the 2018 and 2022 world cup bids.

Wow. Finally. And this is clearly the result of lots of behind the scenes coordination.

i can't see how even Blatter can survive this.

Blatter will conveniently say that this all a result of the enquiry he initiated and proves he's the man to clean up football

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    Blatter will conveniently say that this all a result of the enquiry he initiated and proves he's the man to clean up football

Yep, this is what the FIFA spokesman said at the press conference.

Would this be a good time to post this:

Amazing how all of this alleged corruption goes on during his tenure yet he never seems to know anything.
    He's either an incompetent head for allowing it to happen or just as thick in it as the rest of them!

I sometimes wonder whether the reason that Blatter keeps going, is that once he leaves all his secrets will be discovered.
    Personally I am convinced that he is the most guilty amongst the FIFA cronies, yet smart enough to make sure there is always someone else beneath him to take the fall.
    Fingers crossed that he spends the rest of his days in prison, where he belongs.

Blatter, and FIFA, have no credibility, and haven't had for a long time.

What Blatter does have is money and the power to influence where FIFA funds are spent, and that's why he's still president and will likely remain so until, as Josh said, he decides himself to leave. After all, FIFA have been making bags of cash off the back of world cups etc., while the hosts are left with the debts. Why would anyone in FIFA want to rock the boat, unless they think they aren't getting their share of the pie (e.g. the FA who lost out on their world cup bid)?

I wonder if we were hosting whichever world cup it was we lost out on (was it Qatar?) if the FA would be so critical of Blatter and be backing the other guy running for president?

4. Nothing changes.
    Agreed, dishing out multi billion pounds football tournaments, will have at some point bought him a level of protection

I fail to understand how a corrupt unnecessary organisation running corrupt clubs, Who have corrupt players taking vast amounts of money from not very clever people just to sit round a field can be anything but corrupt, BUT it is surely nothing to do with normal people or the legal system they pay for, Where is the law being broken it's more the name of the game. And hardly a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    US DOJ press briefing starts at 15:41 on the BBC link.

Master
    I find it amazing that FIFA are continuing with their presidential election despite the arrests made today, one of whom is their VP. How many other organisations would do this?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I find it amazing that FIFA are continuing with their presidential election despite the arrests made today, one of whom is their VP. How many other organisations would do this?

Any organisation that doesn't care, and believes it is immune. Proves what a disgrace FIFA are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Blatters excuses are laughable. If he is innocent then he looks an even bigger plank in my opinion and not fit to be president in the first place and should still take full responsibility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Would this be a good time to post this:

Funny, but uncomfortably so. :-(

Grand Master
    4. Nothing changes.
    Nothing inaccurate about that. Sepp is so smooth, he's a known cure for constipation.

Russia 2018 will go ahead; smooth words will be said, little fines will be paid, and the addicts will pay in their billions for their tickets to get their fix. That's the important bit; it's money that makes the football world go around. I don't think even the American justice system, which has as many flaws as other robust systems, can handle the scale or depth.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I sometimes wonder whether the reason that Blatter keeps going, is that once he leaves all his secrets will be discovered.
    Personally I am convinced that he is the most guilty amongst the FIFA cronies, yet smart enough to make sure there is always someone else beneath him to take the fall.
    Fingers crossed that he spends the rest of his days in prison, where he belongs.
    Absolutely this. Blatter is like Mugabe. They will carry on as long as possible trying to keep a lid on it all.
    Had to laugh at the Russian foreign minister sticking his oar in.
    Follow the money. It may yet lead to Putin.

Sponsors including visa are now reviewing their positions; this may be where the real pressure starts if there is a risk of money being withdrawn; all about the $$

Craftsman
    Yes well done the Septics - so difficult to hold a genuine worldwide organisation to account which is why it's such an appalling beacon of corruption. Awarding world cups to Russia and Qatar...

The sponsors wonīt cancel their contracts with FIFA, thereīs too much money involved, itīs still very lucrative for them, despite the corruption and sleaze.

Nobody in the world could convince me that Blatter had no idea of what was going on. His vice president was involved, ffs!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    The sponsors wonīt cancel their contracts with FIFA, thereīs too much money involved, itīs still very lucrative for them, despite the corruption and sleaze
    Agreed. Slack Bladder has refused to resign and he has the full support of Putin. As Putin has a habit of bumping off anyone who disagrees with him, Blatter is quite safe behind a wall of Polonium!

There'll be quietly-spoken phone calls between the Kremlin and the sponsors, a few FIFA "junior ministers" will be fired, and everything will continue as normal.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

So UEFA is the only federation calling for Sepp to quit. Now we know where the bungs went.

way too much money for way too long a time, this has been talked about for years. coruption at its finest. Its a GAME !!

Master
    Blog Entries
    All EUFA have to do is not to back down and threaten to pull out of the WC unless Bladder goes. After all what good is a WC without Europe.

Don't forget that corruption is part of everyday life for much of the world.

Leviathan directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev

"On the Kola Peninsula, Kolya and his family find themselves facing the loss of their house and land when the corrupt mayor of their small town lays claim to it through eminent domain. Determined to regain control of his home, Kolya enlists an old friend from Moscow, a lawyer who has his own agenda."

Nobody is powerless. Sign the petition:

https://www.avaaz.org

It may do nothing, but then again...

I have decided to boycott the world cup and all the sponsors.

It will make sweet FA (pun) difference, but if 10 million other people do this, then it might!

Its such a disgrace that something which is supposed to be a "bit of fun" has descended so far.

Plus its Rugby world cup this year - which will be much better anyway.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche