closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Erebus Ascent (Jody JOMW brand)

Erebus Ascent (Jody JOMW brand)

Many of you are probably familiar with Jody from Just One More Watch, generally undertaking reviews of value watches at the lower end of the market and IMO one of the most likable Watch YouTubers.

He and his business partner started their own watch brand, Erebus, earlier this year I think. Their first watch was a diver (the Origin), which was a decent attempt but didn’t really float my boat, but there was a very interesting vid where they went to the factory in Hong Kong to see the production process first hand. They’ve just released their second watch, the Ascent, which they claim as a GADA style, and I have say I’m much more impressed with this effort.

I think Jody has alway said this type of watch is his favourite, and I’d say you can tell the Ascent has been developed by an enthusiast. The hand set and case profile remind me a lot of the old Seiko Sarb 033/035’s. A nice touch is the lumed counterbalance on the ‘needle’ seconds hand. According to Jody there is stacks of lume and AR coating. The application of the logo and date frame look good. Crown us screw down, watch is 39mm with 20mm lugs and 11mm thin, with a Miyota 9015 movement.

Bracelets have quick release and on the fly adjustment, comes in J or O style (think we can all guess what those letters represent!). I like the plain enamel dials, but I’m a bit boring like that - there’s also fume, helix and mineral dial options. The enamel dials are £289 + shipping and most likely import duty, which on paper (having never held one in hand) seems to offer very good value. Am definitely tempted to get a preorder to see what they are like.

Anyway just thought I’d share as couldn’t see they’d been discussed anywhere else.

https://erebuswatches.com/collections/ascent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Heeeeelllloooo, and walecum to just one more watch!"

They look quite nice, Grand Seiko vibes.

These are what I call "safe designs". Nothing to see, really.
    THIN is the new BLACK

I'm tempted by the blue enamel. Decent price even with tax added.
    My hunch is they'll do a GMT with a miyota next.

Thanks for sharing that. I'd never heard of the brand or the person but I've had a look at their shop and I really like a lot of both models they have.

I think that's a little bit harsh. They could have done diver and DJ clones but I feel both models are different enough to be attractive, especially the divers.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

They're definitely 'safe' designs, but I think there's a real value to a safe design executed well at a good price (which this is likely to be). The Origin is also a pretty 'safe' design, and it's a very nice piece (I picked mine up here 2nd hand).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    I think I quit out half way through his unveiling video as they didn't really do much for me, but on closer look I rather like the helix dials. I don't think the mock-ups do the actual texture justice either! I think that overall they're still a bit too bland for me, but that dial on something else then maybe!

Not sure GADA applies to a 100m WR microbrand watch, they tend to be pretty conservative about what you can actually do with them.

I watched the video on these and some of the dials look amazing. I might be tempted to get one one day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

Anyone who habitually sneers at microbrands should take a close look at the details of this watch - especially things like the multiple, polished facets of the hands and applied indices. That's a lot of difficult machine work for something many won't even notice...

By contrast, earlier I was looking at Cartier's latest 'Tortue' incarnations - I like them very much, but up close they have Cartier's usual very simple hands and dials - the hands are pressed from sheet metal, and the dials for the YG version are simply pad-printed, i.e. exactly the same way your golf balls get their logos! Nothing wrong with it, it's incredibly accurate nowadays, but it's hilariously cheap and easy to do.

The Cartier cases, too, are exceptionally simple and rather clumsily proportioned, albeit also a slightly awkward shape to machine... You do get a precious metal case, and of course an artificial gemstone set into the crown (the sort of stunt that would attract tremendous derision if a microbrand had done it first!) - and that'll be £50,000 please.

Obviously the Erebus gets a stainless steel case, and a very basic movement - but one well regarded for robustness and capable of to-the-second calibration with a bit of patience. Zero brag-factor of course...

If the Chinese ever get as good at marketing and advertising as the Swiss, then the latter will be in a LOT of trouble...

It’s quite Seiko Sarb. Nothing wrong with that, just nothing new.

I’ve never been a fan of the cat flap date window at 6. If they’d tapered the window’s top edges I think it would have been more in keeping with the indices.

200m water resistance would probably then justify the GADA moniker.

Not bad effort.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Really? You call this "safe"?!

Sure the styling is a mite derivative - but that's a lose-lose bet anyway: do something different and the exact same people will complain it's too out there!

Like it or loathe it, it's a far-from lousy riff on Grand Seiko' schtick, but for £300 - pretty ballsy move - and unlike 95% of the brag-factor brands, they've even bothered to colour-match the date wheels!

This watch is competing with things like the Ch. Ward C63; a watch multiple times more expensive. Both mostly made in China, with similar specs. I'd rather have the Erebus as it doesn't have a bloody trident on the seconds hand.

Craftsman
    They do look good, def giving off Seiko Sarb & Omega Aqua Terra vibes....

I like it. Hated the first one they produced. This one really reminds me of my Grand Seiko SBGF019 (though automatic rather than quartz), which is a very versatile watch.

I'm sorely tempted to either try the Aventurine or the flat blue on a jubilee style. But do I really need another watch?

Master
    A welcome and affordable addition to Sports options at least, even though the divers he released were truly dull and uninspiring.

A solid effort even if they are not for me.

Craftsman
    Reading other threads I think it's great that SM are allowing other micro brands to use their facilities to design more "original' pieces.
    So who is getting one? Or how long do I have to wait for a black enamel to turn up on SC?)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Really? You call this "safe"?!

Sure the styling is a mite derivative - but that's a lose-lose bet anyway: do something different and the exact same people will complain it's too out there!

Like it or loathe it, it's a far-from lousy riff on Grand Seiko' schtick, but for £300 - pretty ballsy move - and unlike 95% of the brag-factor brands, they've even bothered to colour-match the date wheels!
    I expected the NH36 to be fitted, but no, it’s a Miyota 9015, even better for that price.

Love the purple version.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

If anyone wants to make me like a watch, slagging off Cartier isn't the way to go about it, all it does is tell me that we appreciate different things.

Also, chippy af.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    ... Also, chippy af.

Pot: meet Kettle...

Craftsman
    Pity that its only really a bargain if you are in Australia.

As they are charging the price including Australian Sales Tax on exports, so we pay VAT on top of the Australian tax too. Plus international shipping at cost, with no deduction of the domestic (inclusive) shipping costs.

Clearly making a fatter margin on exports, which puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    But do I really need another watch?

Go on, just one more watch.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Go on, just one more watch.
    You always need 1 more watch.

How to turn a 'possibly' into a 'no'.

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    Pity that its only really a bargain if you are in Australia.

As they are charging the price including Australian Sales Tax on exports, so we pay VAT on top of the Australian tax too. Plus international shipping at cost, with no deduction of the domestic (inclusive) shipping costs.

Clearly making a fatter margin on exports, which puts me off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    An oyster or jubilee on a GS Heritage/SARB case with a GS-alike spiral dial.
    Microbrands smashing boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    An oyster or jubilee on a GS Heritage/SARB case with a GS-alike spiral dial.
    Microbrands smashing boundaries.

You missed the bit where they were doing it for £300 instead of £3,000...

You also missed the bit where they're pulling themselves up by their bootstraps from nothing instead of using the resources of a decent-sized corporation to keep doing cookie-cutter watches in an ever-changing roster of on-trend Farrow & Ball 'colourways'...

Grand Seiko: famous for...

{"Ah-aah-Zaratsu!" - bless me}

...smashing boundaries