closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

ZuluDiver “Octopod” Buckle Review

I like one-piece, pull-through watch straps. These are usually made of fabric and are very simple: literally just a strip of webbing with a buckle at one end and holes at the other (unless they are perlon: no holes; infinitely adjustable.) Sometimes these are referred to as “RAF” straps to differentiate them from NATO straps I’ll use that here as shorthand.

Why do I like them? Four reasons: first, unlike NATO straps they allow the buckle to be located directly opposite the watch head and centred on the inside of the wrist. This makes them very comfortable. Second, like NATO straps they provide security in the event of a springbar failure. Many watches are valuable and to think of them being held on by a single spring pushing a tiny pin into a small hole is, frankly, frightening. Third, some watches, especially military-issued ones, have fixed bars and so need a pull-through strap. (Top tip: if your watch does have springbars then use shoulderless ones when pairing it with any pull-through strap otherwise the flanges can snag on the fabric and pop it clean out.) Fourth, the watch sits lower than on a NATO as there’s only one layer of webbing underneath it.

In the past I’ve often made my own RAF strap by “circumcising” a NATO. This means cutting off the additional flap that secures the watch and therein lies the problem: the watch can slide up and down on the strap, unhindered, and that means it can also slip right off and hit the floor. And, yes, that has happened to me. Twice. Ouch.

So I decided to experiment. Would it be possible to fit a deployant clasp to a RAF strap? With a little fettling and a bit of bodging I cut down a NATO, snipped off the buckle and added a cheap bi-fold (or “butterfly”) clasp from ebay. It worked perfectly. And no more slip sliding away.

You can see the result of that prototype here.

But I prefer the simpler, Z-shaped foldover deployants that simply snap open and closed rather than relying on buttons and springs. It took me a while to find a decent one, but once I did I was even happier: all the convenience of a vintage friction-fit bracelet clasp with all the comfort and security of a RAF strap. Job done – and for very little money.

(An aside: I am a pedant so I refer to these clasps as deployants not deployments, but others – including vendors who really should know better – insist on the incorrect but less unfamiliar term. I guess if your potential customers are searching for “deployments” then you’d be daft not to use the word yourself, so I can see why they do that. Personally I think anyone who wants a deployment should be sent overseas. Ha ha.)

I said it took me a while to find a decent clasp; be aware that some foldover deployants do not open very wide (and so may not fit over you hand) and/or have a gap between the “pin” which goes through the holes in the strap and the top of the plate that snaps into place over it, meaning a thin nylon strap can escape and come free. This was true of the cheap ebay / Amazon ones; I eventually bought one from Watch Obsession with the added bonus having the choice between brushed or polished metal.

So, like this:

But searching for options and ideas led me to find the Octopod buckle from ZuluDiver.

What’s that?

It’s this:

And it’s brilliant. It comes in 20mm and 22mm with a vast range of straps, some of which are elasticated, MN style.

Like this one:

All the benefits of my homemade bodge job – but with some added advantages. First, no “tail” flapping around (excess material is on the inside). Second, the security of a push-button release on the clasp: normal on bi-fold buckles but not on foldover clasps. Third, it’s very well made: robust but still light and slim. Finally, it looks great. There’s also some nice attention to detail: remember I said you should ideally pair any type of fabric strap with shoulderless spring bars? Well, they’re fitted as standard on the ZuluDiver.

Cons? None I can think of. It’s pricey but not unreasonable and well worth it. It’s a little tricky to thread the strap through the twin bars (I find it easier to remove the second one and re-insert it over the strap, rather than faff around trying to push it under.) It’s not very adjustable, especially once it’s on the wrist, but that’s where the stretchy straps come into their own: if a hot workout at the gym makes your wrist swell a bit then the elastic simply expands to maintain a good fit. (I suspect it also fits well over a wetsuit if you actually, you know, dive with a dive watch.) In fact the only I’d change is making them available in 18mm for vintage watches.

Lots more (and better) picture online but I hope this helped give a user’s review of a great new product. I’ll update this after it’s had some more field testing but so far, so good.

Recommended.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 9th February 2023 at 16:59.

Master
    Very good solution to a problem! And
    Looks good too! Though I think I slightly prefer the more minimal earlier clasp myself, I can see the benefits of the Zulu option

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Very good solution to a problem! And
    Looks good too! Though I think I slightly prefer the more minimal earlier clasp myself, I can see the benefits of the Zulu option
    The trouble with the clasp I bought and added to a cut-down NATO is that it can dig in a bit. Not much, but occasionally it gets a bit uncomfortable and leaves a red dent on my wrist. The OctoPod buckle is wider, has smoother edges and is flatter (bigger radius) so no issue with sticking in to you. It just fits.

Master
    I have recently purchased an Octopod deployant from watchgecko, have to say it is rather lovely, & well engineered, looks and feels real quality. I have mine on a twill Tudor style NATO, super comfy, and the strap options are almost limitless. Great product which is protected by a world-wide patent I believe

Agree. It is a great product.

Rather impressed with the Octopod and straps.

Best I wait for yesterday's order from watchgecko to arrive before ordering anything else

Yet to be converted. I asked myself a few questions such as would I pay £48 for a buckle then £10 per strap? How many straps would I want? How often would I change them? What do I use single piece straps for?
    I went and inspected my watch collection then my strap box. I have 31 watches of which one is on a NATO. In my strap box there are 14 unused NATO straps. The watch on a NATO is my sports watch, used for holidays, swimming and windsurfing. Having lost at least 3 watches over the years I wouldn't ever use a two piece strap for watersports. But for daily wear I rarely use NATO's, hence I don't think it's worth the money for me.
    Could I be converted? It looks like a smart solution, so possibly. I would need to test it for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Yet to be converted. I asked myself a few questions such as would I pay £48 for a buckle then £10 per strap?
    If you’ve got sewn (rather than heat-sealed) NATOs you could unpick the stitching, remove the buckle and keepers et voila! A 20mm single-pass strap ready for the OctoPod deployant.

I’m even toying with the idea of a strip of 2cm wide woven ribbon. Subject it to the “Speedmaster Test” (it’s almost impossible for a strap to look crap on a moonwatch).

Something like this maybe?

https://www.vvrouleaux.com/28017king...rd-ribbon.html

Just for fun

It's a nice solution if a little bit of a faff fitting the strap for the first time. Been a couple of threads on these and the bulk sometimes comes up. It could do with being slimmed down but not a deal breaker for me. I posted some dimensions of the 22mm version here in case useful - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...od-NATO-system

I like the idea but always find deployants uncomfortable, which negates one of the benefits of a fabric strap for me.

I like the idea but just think it's a bit hench - a slimmed down version would be great.

Does look a bit mahoosive. I have nearly 9 inch wrists and I do wonder how long the straps are. Looks fine on a large watch but on something like a CWC diver it would be bigger than the watch by the looks of it??

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I like the idea but always find deployants uncomfortable, which negates one of the benefits of a fabric strap for me.
    I agree; the most comfortable ones I've got are a couple that came on NOS vintage straps, maybe 1960s or '70s. That said, I don't even notice I'm wearing the Octopod, it's as comfortable as any buckle or clasp I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I like the idea but just think it's a bit hench - a slimmed down version would be great.
    Agreed. I suspect it might pair well with a larger watch. Having said that, although it looks huge it's actually very unobtrusive once on because it's so ergonomic.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Does look a bit mahoosive. I have nearly 9 inch wrists and I do wonder how long the straps are. Looks fine on a large watch but on something like a CWC diver it would be bigger than the watch by the looks of it??
    Good points. My wrists are 7.5" and I have about 1.5" of "tail" on each side. Call it 2" rather than 3" to be on the safe side. And, yes, it might well overpower a Monin case, 62MAS or generic 1960s skindiver.

I think I might do a review of the Zulu Alpha straps next, if anyone's interested in that?

They're slightly industrial looking, but I love their tri-glide buckles, which give good adjustability on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post

I think I might do a review of the Zulu Alpha straps next, if anyone's interested in that?

They're slightly industrial looking, but I love their tri-glide buckles, which give good adjustability on the fly.
    Yes please.

I was looking at a Tudor fabric strap but am somewhat put off by the £340 price point. Looking for good, affordable alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Yes please.

I was looking at a Tudor fabric strap but am somewhat put off by the £340 price point. Looking for good, affordable alternatives
    The Tudor straps are incredible but 1.) very expensive 2.) not very long 3.) not hugely hardwearing.

I’ll do the Zulu Alpha review this weekend if I get the chance. Very different proposition to the OctoPod but if you’re looking for something utilitarian, brilliantly simple and very well made (in the UK) then I can wholeheartedly recommend them.

I’m even toying with the idea of a strip of 2cm wide woven ribbon. Subject it to the “Speedmaster Test” (it’s almost impossible for a strap to look crap on a moonwatch).

Something like this maybe?

https://www.vvrouleaux.com/28017king...rd-ribbon.html

Just for fun
    Or maybe some heavyweight Grosgrain silk? (Black might be a bit "Victorian undertaker" but I bet it would amazing on a Speedy.)

Sort of a cheaper version of this:

https://www.rsmwatchstrap.com/reversible-silk-strap/

As for other, similar, buckles there's these (but NB only in 22mm)

https://elliotbrownwatches.com/blogs...rap-reinvented

And of course there was the earlofsodbury's suggestion:

(Post #4 here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...od-NATO-system)

Glad to see a review, and it sounds like a positive one. I keep looking at it and thinking that they look good, but £58 for a buckle and single strap is a bit much for me to risk without reading stuff like this!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Wearing mine as I type, it really is a fantastic bit of kit. Supremely comfortable with its nicely curved aspect that would cater for all but the gorilla wristed. Beautifully engineered, with a satisfying 'click' when you close.
    You also have a whole world of strap options opening up to you with this.

Master
    Great review, reminds me that I have a 22mm version I need to sell.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Great review, reminds me that I have a 22mm version I need to sell.
    How much you want for it?

Journeyman
    Thanks for the comprehensive review. Recently discovered these and was intrigued but wasn’t sure if it would be any good in practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some khaki webbing in 20mm (£3 for a metre -- last of of the big spenders)

Cut a length and fitted it to the Octopod:

Apologies for the crappy pics, I'll take some better ones in daylight tomorrow.

Just need to hem the ends, which have frayed I'm afraid.

Nice match for the tritium and a slightly AF0210 look. Bloody comfy, too.

Master
    I bought some khaki webbing in 20mm (£3 for a metre -- last of of the big spenders)

Cut a length and fitted it to the Octopod:

Apologies for the crappy pics, I'll take some better ones in daylight tomorrow.

Just need to hem the ends, which have frayed I'm afraid.

Nice match for the tritium and a slightly AF0210 look. Bloody comfy, too.
    Just shows how versatile the Octopod can be, brilliant idea.
    P.S. can I buy a 300mm length for mine if you can spare, pretty please. Or fund raiser donation if you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Just shows how versatile the Octopod can be, brilliant idea.
    P.S. can I buy a 300mm length for mine if you can spare, pretty please. Or fund raiser donation if you prefer?
    Yes but it will be cheaper to buy your own:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272779554...r=571915911638

That way you'll have spare. I'm going to get mine hemmed though as the ends need folding over and sewing down.

Craftsman
    What a good idea! Also, I guess the Octopod buckle makes the strap infinitely adjustable so you should be able to get a perfect fit on your wrist?

Master
    Thanks for the link & advice, will order some now.
    Regards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    What a good idea! Also, I guess the Octopod buckle makes the strap infinitely adjustable so you should be able to get a perfect fit on your wrist?
    Exactlyamundo.

If you want webbing https://www.profabrics.co.uk/

Used to make my own Velcro straps and would source bits and pieces here. Although 22mm seems be particularly difficult to get I presume because it’s only really a relevant dimension for watches.

If anyone stumbles on a 22mm supplier, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by matt74 View Post
    If you want webbing https://www.profabrics.co.uk/

Used to make my own Velcro straps and would source bits and pieces here. Although 22mm seems be particularly difficult to get I presume because it’s only really a relevant dimension for watches.

If anyone stumbles on a 22mm supplier, let me know.
    https://www.profabrics.co.uk/product...pylene-webbing

"POLYPROPYLENE WEBBING - 20MM
    Ex VAT: £0.34
    Inc VAT: £0.41 Per Metre"

41p for 100cm? I'm not made of money you know!

Seriously: this looks good. The issue I've got with the cotton stuff is that it frays. It can be hemmed but that means a double foldover, then stitched (a box with an "X" in, apparently). Four layers of fabric (including the strap itself) might prove quite thick. The other option would be to crimp on some metal "ends" -- not sure what I need or where to get them though.

Maybe something like this:

https://palmermetals.co.uk/product/d...m-silver-tone/

or this

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/4941...bon-end-crimps

Polypropylene webbing is quite shiny and plastic looking. Nylon is better, more like the stuff you’ll find on natos. The herringbone looks nice but it thinner so the watch will flap about a bit unless you wear it tight.

https://www.profabrics.co.uk/collect...-nylon-webbing

But it’s buttons to buy so easy to experiment with.

After a recommendation from a fellow forummer I bought one for my Aerospace. Its absolutely brilliant (and about 500x better than the Breitling strap and buckle supplied)

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Master
    These look very good. I wish there were a bronze option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    After a recommendation from a fellow forummer I bought one for my Aerospace. Its absolutely brilliant (and about 500x better than the Breitling strap and buckle supplied)

That looks excellent, what colour is the strap please and was it bought from WatchGecko?

This looks awesome, ordered for mine thank you

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    That looks excellent, what colour is the strap please and was it bought from WatchGecko?
    Not sure where I ordered it from, but probably ZD direct as that would have been my first instinct. Colour - I think just green. Can't remember if there were a range of greens. Sorry - not the most helpful reply.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Not sure where I ordered it from, but probably ZD direct as that would have been my first instinct. Colour - I think just green. Can't remember if there were a range of greens. Sorry - not the most helpful reply.

Actually just found the order confirmation email. Its "Riga". Also ordered a pvd buckle.

The green really works on tool watches.

Has anyone tried the new smaller version of the deployant?
    I have the original and don’t really find it very comfortable on my 6.75” wrist but just seen they now make a vintage bronze which may suit my 43mm Tudor bronze BB, the newer version is about 10% smaller apparently.

Excellently thorough review, thank you Rev.

A query about this though:

Second, like NATO straps they provide security in the event of a springbar failure. Many watches are valuable and to think of them being held on by a single spring pushing a tiny pin into a small hole is, frankly, frightening.
    Quite a few NATOs (or probably just called that whilst not being technically NATOs) still have you relying on a single point of failure though, namely the buckle spring bars. If that single one fails, the watch is gone, although the strap style gives a little more holding power than a standard strap failing at the case as there's still material held by the NATO's buckle.

I have a few NATO buckles that are solid and sewn in, whilst others like my Zuludiver rubber NATO has a spring bar buckle.

So thank you for making me think about this as I was going to use that Zuludiver rubber one for an upcoming scuba trip. I'll now go for a solid buckle variant.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    These look very good. I wish there were a bronze option.

There is now.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post

Quite a few NATOs (or probably just called that whilst not being technically NATOs) still have you relying on a single point of failure though, namely the buckle spring bars. If that single one fails, the watch is gone, although the strap style gives a little more holding power than a standard strap failing at the case as there's still material held by the NATO's buckle.

I have a few NATO buckles that are solid and sewn in, whilst others like my Zuludiver rubber NATO has a spring bar buckle.
    Best of all is the non-springbar buckles + heat-welded fabric. Neither spring nor stitch to fail. As supplied by Phoenix to the MoD.

Glad you liked the review

Master
    Yes indeed bigvic. I actually contacted zuludiver and asked them if they had any plans for a bronze version and got a reply. They said they had a rose gold colour in the way. I thought it an odd colour for a buckle that would pair with a tool watch.. ..I wonder if they were spurred to a description change to bronze by my question!

Best of all is the non-springbar buckles + heat-welded fabric. Neither spring nor stitch to fail. As supplied by Phoenix to the MoD.

Glad you liked the review
    Eek, hadn't thought about the stitching...thank you, I'll look into those!

Master
    Any of you guys have pictures of this clasp on a slim wrist?
    tempted to get one but I fear it may be a a tad large for my 6.75" wrist and the watch I intend it for

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Yes indeed bigvic. I actually contacted zuludiver and asked them if they had any plans for a bronze version and got a reply. They said they had a rose gold colour in the way. I thought it an odd colour for a buckle that would pair with a tool watch.. ..I wonder if they were spurred to a description change to bronze by my question!
    In that case I thank you, very tempted to get a bronze one in 22mm for my Tudor bronze BB.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Any of you guys have pictures of this clasp on a slim wrist?
    tempted to get one but I fear it may be a a tad large for my 6.75" wrist and the watch I intend it for
    I’ll try to take a pic tomorrow. I’ve the size wrist as you but I’ve found it a bit on the large side for me, the new version is about 10% shorter so I’d be interested into finding out if anyone’s got both to compare.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I’ll try to take a pic tomorrow. I’ve the size wrist as you but I’ve found it a bit on the large side for me, the new version is about 10% shorter so I’d be interested into finding out if anyone’s got both to compare.
    nice one, cheers bigvic,
    I've yet to find a deployant style clasp/strap that will suit my slim wrist - I'm presuming this won't be a solution for me but for the money was happy to take a punt

The one thing that would make the octopod perfect would be some sort of on-the-fly micro-adjustment, maybe a press and slide ratchet type thing.

It’s approx 50mm in length and the new version is 45mm ish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    It’s approx 50mm in length and the new version is 45mm ish.

Cheers, I think even the newer smaller version is going to be to big/bulky for me.