closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GPS Running Watch

GPS Running Watch

Recently started running regularly, looking for a sub 100 pound GPS watch to help maintain the motivation to increase speed/distance. Never used one of these, must be a few runners (or cyclists for that matter) with experience using them. Would be most grateful for any advice. A quick Amazon search suggests Garmin Forerunner or Tom Tom Runner are within this price range

I have a Forerunner 620 HRM and the wife has a forerunner 10, so I have a slight Garmin bias (I also had a Fenix 3 but didn't get on with it).
    The first decision would be whether you want heart rate monitoring and then whether you need to support other activites like cycling.
    For base running functionality the mens Forerunner 10 is available for under £60 from time to time on Amazon (set up a price watch on camelcamelcamel) and Forerunner 220 HRM is being discounted to under £150 because it is shortly to be replaced by the FR225 with integrated Mio Heart Rate montioring.

Check out http://www.dcrainmaker.com for reviews and opinion.
    Last edited by swatch; 22nd May 2015 at 09:58.

Journeyman
    If you don't want an HRM I'll also add my voice to the Forerunner 10 recommendations. It's cheap and effective and surprisingly robust. Mine has survived both Mud Runner Oblivion and the Ram Run, requiring nothing more than a wash afterwards, which is more than could be said of me.
    Last edited by sunaxi; 22nd May 2015 at 20:22. Reason: Capitalisation.

Something I'm looking into as well. The FR15 is £99.99 and is a contender.

The Tomtom's are rated well too, but not so keen on the design.

The Polar M400 is the other one to consider in the price bracket

The site's already been linked but this page in particular may help: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/w...endations.html

Craftsman
    I bought the Forerunner 15. A couple of extra features than the 10 and I got mine for £89.95 at John Lewis (looks like it has gone up to £99 now). Can't fault it. Also looked at the Tom Tom but didn't like the design.
    Last edited by GMC41; 22nd May 2015 at 11:05.

Thanks guys, some terrific information there, the garmin forerunner 10's appear to be very reasonably priced.

The concept of running is a totally alien one to me (I think it may have something to do with poor people and catching buses?), but there appears to be a GPS running watch on SC for not much money.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?333744

Craftsman
    If you can stretch to the forerunner 220 or 620 , they are amazingly quick at acquiring satellite reception . The older generation watches can take a while. imho.

Master
    I looked at a few when I was choosing a replacement for my Forerunner 305 and ended up with the TomTom, I have to say I have not regretted it at all.

Great watch, good gps and features, just ordered a new slim strap for it also, going from a FR305 everything else is prettier.

Master
    I use one for cycling, a Garmin Forerunner 10. Cheapest GPS watch I could find, but it works really well. Last time I was in Tesco I think they had them for ~ £80.

Just purchased this one, at £69 less £10 (for £5 clubcard voucher boost) it should do the trick, pick it up from my local Tesco tomorrow! http://www.tesco.com/direct/garmin-f...skuId=477-2444 Thanks again for the input, much appreciated

Probably a bit late to this, but I always use the Nike GPS watch, doesn't have as many on the go features as the Garmin, but wears light, easy to use and the maps when you upload is great, also links in with the Nike app on whatever mobile platform you use. Might be a bit out of your price range, but I've successfully used it for various 1/2 marathons and this years London Marathon. It uses the TOM TOM navigation unit internally as well.

Grand Master
    I use a Garmin Fenix 2, Does the lot, run, hike, ski, trek, and is a not bad watch too.

Sadly my running days are over so it is spare and I have toyed with outting it on SC a few times. I have had a few and I would say you want something thats also a watch rathe than just a GPS and HR etc is also worth having plus a good GPS Fix
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bought the 220 a few weeks ago. Love it. The 10 and 15 have a very ugly font - not a deal beaker but visually unappealing. The 220 lets you see 3 data fields at a time, rather than the 2 on the 10/15.

Now that does that does look the business, very nice indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I use a Garmin Fenix 2, Does the lot, run, hike, ski, trek, and is a not bad watch too.

Sadly my running days are over so it is spare and I have toyed with outting it on SC a few times. I have had a few and I would say you want something thats also a watch rathe than just a GPS and HR etc is also worth having plus a good GPS Fix

Craftsman
    Pair of Forerunners here.
    An older 305, which is bombproof, and also good for MTB, and a newer 110, which has a sweaty leak issue.
    The 305 is much better built, although its a bit of a tank.

Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Thanks guys, some terrific information there, the garmin forerunner 10's appear to be very reasonably priced.
    The wife has has just bought one and I set it up for her this morning. Seems very simple to use and picked up position straight away

Craftsman
    Have a look at the Polar M400 - around £100 on Amazon. That is a lot of watch for the money. All the features of the excellent V800 at half the price. Ideal for running.
    Last edited by rmclachlan; 24th May 2015 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

I keep thinking of trying a Fenix, the new Fenix 3 is a bit pricey at the moment though. If you are thinking of moving this on then let me know.

Forerunner 10 is a good watch for under £100, I have a Fenix 2 and it's great but very software dependant. Some of the software versions turn it into a crashing piece of junk. Has long enough battery for ultras and also works as an open water/pool watch too. I think it actually looks better than the Fenix 3, but that's just me.