closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Oyster Bracelet - GMT II

Journeyman

Unhappy Rolex Oyster Bracelet - GMT II

mine recently failed , wish I could say I was mountain biking or rock climbing or caving or something but I was actually making the bed!! tucking in the sheets and brought my had up sharply and caught the edge of the bedside table, managed to pull the bezel off and break one of the pins in the part of the strap closer to the case.

sent back to Rolex for what thought would be a simple pin replacement and a bezel re-attach and been told I need a new strap and new bezel, looking at something close to £1,300 all done!! actually recommending a service also as running a little slow, implying the almighty knock I gave it may have affected it, with the service too its around £1,800!!! Watch only cost me £2,250 when I bought it!!

I don't want a fake replacement bracelet but do I have any other options?? would someone repair mine?? Rolex saying its a "security risk"

I have had to start talking to my insurers, if it goes ahead should I ask for my old strap back, a mate reckons its valuable as the links are saleable??

Naively I was thinking I was looking at a bit of labour and the price of a new pin in the strap £80-£100

any helpful thoughts or pointers??

Sorry, but don't have anything useful for you - what a s**t situation. £1800?? They must be joking. Good luck in finding something.

Quote Originally Posted by henryviii View Post
    £1800?? They must be joking.
    Try buying those parts yourself and see how much change you get.

It's bad luck, but expensive watches break expensively! That's what insurance is for.

However, you can probably sell some links from the old bracelet to offset it, but only about half of them are removable.

Craftsman
    Sounds to me like Rolex are a bit like car dealerships...parts fitters. If you can't go via your insurers go independent there will be somebody who can re pin a bracelet. Calling it a security issue is them scaring you into getting the work done.

Sure I've read somewhere on the forum that there is a watch smith on here who can repair bracelets??

Craftsman
    There is a thread in the forums, mostly dealing with bracelet stretch, but it should also be applicable here.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...acelet-Stretch

Bear in mind that, if the bracelet is basically worn out, your insurers may ask you to pay most of the cost anyway depending on the terms of your policy.

My uncle has a two tone sub that he used to wear all the time until he wore right through the gold centre link closest to the watch case, ended up costing him £3200 for a new bracelet! Safe to say he doesn't wear it fixing his cars no more.