closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't laugh

Apprentice

Don't laugh

It was a 16th Birthday gift from my parents.
    Still works and keeps good time.
    Anyone else still have a watch from their youth ?

Master
    I don't have a picture of either to hand however still have the G-Shock "G-Cool" my parents bought me for my 18th as well as a Seiko 7t42 I bought when i started 3rd year of high school. I'll be 40 next month

Banned
    No, but I wish I did. My parents gave me an excellent watch when I was about 14. I just have no idea what has become of it.

I think your Timex might look amazing if it was restored. There are some people on this forum who can work magic.

My parents brought me this one Christmas -

I think I was 7, so I'd say Xmas 1987.

Unfortunately I no longer have it, but even if I did, I'd have to sell it now due to my new one watch rule! :D

Bloody hell is that ^ the one that played the theme tune? I wanted one of those sooo badly.

I think we've all been there!

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    Bloody hell is that ^ the one that played the theme tune? I wanted one of those sooo badly.
    Yes! They had to hide it deep inside there wardrobe in a shoe box, the alarm was pre-set at midnight and played the theme tune for 30 seconds. :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post

Unfortunately I no longer have it, but even if I did, I'd have to sell it now due to my new one watch rule! :D
    Amazing, that takes me right back to my youth.

I had one of these.

Last edited by Petewon; 17th May 2015 at 21:41.

Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Any chance of a wrist shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Any chance of a wrist shot?

:(

no no watches from my youth, and I've sold my first ever Rolex - to see if I could let go of any sentimentality, which ultimately has proved easier than I ever believed it would.
    It's just a matter of time...

Vast improvement OP!
    I really wish Id kept all the watches from my childhood - rather than foolishly dismantling them to see how they worked... but then I was just a kid.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Any chance of a wrist shot
    Touche

Great to see these old watches.
    My old Timex was with me throughout basic training in the Army, right up to when I was about 21,
    Amazing it got through those years in one piece.
    I vaguely remember getting a flashy Seiko, and right up to I was about 50, I had no memory of what ever happened to that Timex, then, my Dad gave it to me.
    I'd left it there when I was home on leave all those years ago, and it had stayed in a drawer in a desk for nearly 30 years.
    Kind of ironic, as he had given it to me as a Birthday present 30 years before.

Master

Craftsman
    I don't still have my first watch unfortunately but I do remember it being a hand wound one, which would have been the norm around 1980 when I was about 10, before digital and quartz really took off.

I can then remember getting my first digital watch which was a very basic affair (time, date, seconds in consecutive displays) plus a backlight. We all thought that was the future of watches back then! No idea what sort is was though…

A few years later, I can remember my uncle having a watch with a full calculator keypad on it and thinking it was the coolest watch i'd ever seen.

If only my taste in watches was so simple (and inexpensive) now!

Funny how a bit of reminiscing makes you realise the influence watches had at an early age…

I spent many years following those heady digital days without having much interest in watches. I've always worn one and enjoyed owning watches, but its only the last five years or so that my interest in "proper" watches has developed.

I was desperate for that watch as a kid and my heart leapt a little seeing it again.

Master
    Still got this, from 1984 I think...

Craftsman
    This is a great thread - really got me thinking back…

just been rifling through desk drawers looking for old watches. The earliest one I found was from my 18th birthday - a worse for wear looking gold (in colour only) rotary quartz, complete with cracked crystal (plastic by the look of it) I've not posted a pic on this forum yet but I'll try it out in the next few days if this thread is still going.

I'd love to find that hand wound watch I had when I was about 10 which I had previously completely forgotten about. That would be something! Maybe still in a box or drawer at my mums house, but suspect it was thrown out years ago, together with numerous digital watches which followed in it's steps

I thought you were still 14!
    Nice Tex but it is hard not to laugh when you are the one posting!

No got any watches from my youth, didn't wear them then. But i do still have this one which I bought with my first wage packet a couple of decades ago

Banned
    It just shows you that you can do a fair bit of damage to a watch in a year.

Master
    I got a tiny windup watch from my grandparents when I was about five. I didn't really wear it much though. It's in my attic somewhere. Then in the mid 70's I got this Mortima when my birthday(9th IIRC) coincided with a Spanish holiday.

I loved it as you can tell. :) Loved all the writing and the lume, which in spite of the cheapness glows very brightly even now. The watch stopped years ago.

Then in 79 I got this Seiko calculator digital the second one they brought out(my dad had the first version, which I also still have).

That was my daily driver for most of my teens, my go to school watch even when I started to get "old watches" in junk shops and the like. The bracelet fell to bits. I used go through straps like poo through a goose, usually ending up with a expanding spidel job. Last year I took it apart, had a go at polishing and re graining the case and put in NOS seals and crystal.

As a young kid had mostly digitals (those which playing 7 different musics 😁) The Wostok Kommandirskie from this picture was my first mechanical I wore regularly. It was pretty much my everyday watch when I was around 14. We got it on a flea market from a Russian soldier directly. It's still with me and sometimes I put it on. Still looks OK on a Nato, I think.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    :(

no no watches from my youth, and I've sold my first ever Rolex - to see if I could let go of any sentimentality, which ultimately has proved easier than I ever believed it would.
    Ditto...

Craftsman
    I didn't have one, but good lord I wanted one and was envious of my mates who had one - Casio Databank. Calendar, phonebook and calculator built in. It told the time too! Think you can still get them, retro style.

Newmark I received for my 6th birthday the year Harold Wilson became Prime Minister

I still have it and it still works.

Master
    My first watch is long gone. My younger brother brought about its untimely demise with a hammer in the back garden .

However, this appeared on SC last month and I was on it in a flash;

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=Timex

This is the same watch as my first watch! I searched high and low for one of these when I wanted a first watch for my boy. I couldn't find one though. However, when this arrived from Ian, it's in such good shape, I haven't let him have it yet!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by matt666 View Post
    I didn't have one, but good lord I wanted one and was envious of my mates who had one - Casio Databank. Calendar, phonebook and calculator built in. It told the time too! Think you can still get them, retro style.

This looks very much like the one my uncle had. I was very envious at the time!

Nothing left from my childhood, but I've had this one for over 30 years.

It was a 21st birthday present from my parents.

M.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by matt666 View Post

I had a few of these. Even though they look like metal, they are infact plastic and the cases tended to fail around the spring bars :(
    Last edited by tsunami; 18th May 2015 at 12:07.

Craftsman

I had one like this as my first digital watch. I seem to remember mine had a black plastic case and could be bought at a discount if you collected enough tokens - possibly on a crisp packets if my memory serves (I was only 7 at the time).
    Last edited by tsunami; 18th May 2015 at 12:14.

Craftsman
    My second digital watch was one of these. Very cool, but it only took one decent scratch on the screen and the touch sensitive screen stopped working properly :(

Journeyman
    Crikey that 007 takes me right back to the playground too! 'Play it again play it again' 'No-it'll wear the battery out!'. Good old days.........right, back to Monday....

Excellent thread and trip down memory lane!

Craftsman
    I have a grey and gold striped face Solvil et Titus with grey leather strap, very eighties. I would post a pic but it would burn your eyes. Also still have a Casio Databank from that era.

Craftsman
    This is actually my second watch.
    The first was only 50M WR, and it gave up swimming a length underwater... I was around 12 when I got this.

I used to sail a lot, the massive scuff on the crystal was caused by a shroud on a Laser II when I catapulted whilst on a 3 sail reach on the trapeze.
    I have no idea where the original strap is. It has lived on an Animal strap for most of its life.

Still have it, I love it and would wear it more if I could get new seals for it. I think the module might be on the way out as well - the battery life is very short (a matter of a month or so!)

Still, a tool watch used correctly

Dave

I've still got nearly all my watches that I bought when growing up including a 1984 Swatch, a Casio digital invaders game calculator watch, a casio thermometer watch, casio barometer watch and one of the first consumer radio controlled watches. I also had that James Bond digital melody watch and loved it. Annoyingly that is the only one I have lost.

I also never forgave myself for losing my James Bond Walther PPK gun and holster in McDonalds. I think I left it there after my happy meal birthday party.
    Last edited by Christian; 18th May 2015 at 22:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    I got a tiny windup watch from my grandparents when I was about five. I didn't really wear it much though. It's in my attic somewhere. Then in the mid 70's I got this Mortima when my birthday(9th IIRC) coincided with a Spanish holiday.

I loved it as you can tell. :) Loved all the writing and the lume, which in spite of the cheapness glows very brightly even now. The watch stopped years ago
    Love that - waterproof 100% . Did they do a 50% waterproof variant?

Master
    I know S WTF… and the reason it finally died? The "unbreakable" mainspring? Broke. Though to be fair it remained watertight.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

First watches lost to Blue Peter Charity Appeal

Does anyone here remember a Blue Peter Charity Appeal to kids in the 80's ?

Apparently kids were asked to help provide money for a life improving scheme in Africa somewhere.

They were instructed to 'ask their mums and dads' if they had any old watches they no longer wore.

So the kids then rifled through their parents drawers looking for old watches.

So the story goes, dads and mums treasured old watches were sent unknowingly by their kids to Blue Peter at the BBC to their absolute shock and horror. Postage was free !!

Rolex, Omega, you name it, disappeared in aid of the appeal by charitably minded youngsters, perhaps trying to get a Blue Peter badge.

I went to a junk market at the time and saw there a box of old watches with mostly, in those days, non well known names like Bulova, Certina, Waltham, Oris, Zenith, Mappin and Webb, Eterna and many trench watches.... I still have some of them.

I asked the seller where all these watches had come from and the above was his reply.

I heard later that several parents complained to the BBC and Blue Peter in a desperate attempt to get their heirlooms back. But with very little success !

Since I never saw the appeal I wonder if the above is true.

Does anyone else recollect ?

Brendan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    I know S WTF… and the reason it finally died? The "unbreakable" mainspring? Broke. Though to be fair it remained watertight.
    You should really try to get it repaired and running again, just for old times' sake.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    You should really try to get it repaired and running again, just for old times' sake.
    I've been tempted to do just that S, though it's a tiny watch, even by vintage standards. Movements should be easy enough to come by though as they used the same basic pin pallet movement in all their watches(and under different names too). Though it never ceases to amaze me how much these old and extremely common pin pallets can fetch on the Bay, especially Sicura examples with their bogus "oh it's a Breitling y'know" sales spiel.

This thread is brilliant... oh, the stuff you forget about and file in the depths of your mind..

The post above that made me smile was the Bond digital with the theme tune and also the Casio Databank with the telephone numbers and stuff...

Brilliant reminiscing...

Thanks

On my tenth birthday in the late 70's I was the proud recipient of a ''gold' Sekonda hand wind watch on the same expanding bracelet in the OP picture. All was wonderful as my Dad carefully set the time and proceeded to overwind the watch, exclaiming it was faulty and would have to go back and I never saw it again.

This Casio was chosen by me and bought for my 16th birthday or maybe before, I'm not sure. I can remember going to the jewellers in the Arndale Centre in Luton to get it though.

I can't find my first watch that I remember having, which would have been in the late seventies at junior school. I remember going through a phase of everyone wearing their watch on top of their shirt cuff. That didn't last long, it was mightily uncomfortable. Coincidentally this turned up from ebay this morning, which I am pretty sure is the same as the one I had.

I only have this Timex from my younger days, given to me for Christmas and only recently rediscovered. Unfortunately about 14 years ago my Wife and I had our house broken into while were out and all our jewellery and watches were stolen.

Stuff we had had since we were young and also things we had given each other, it still makes me sad to think about it, my Mum who passed away a long time ago had given me a Rotary with Skelton movement which was taken and could not be replaced.

Anyway here is the little Timex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    I only have this Timex from my younger days, given to me for Christmas and only recently rediscovered. Unfortunately about 14 years ago my Wife and I had our house broken into while were out and all our jewellery and watches were stolen.

Stuff we had had since we were young and also things we had given each other, it still makes me sad to think about it, my Mum who passed away a long time ago had given me a Rotary with Skelton movement which was taken and could not be replaced.

Anyway here is the little Timex.

Just had a major flashback seeing this watch. I think I might have had the same one for my first watch as it looks very familiar!

What year was it roughly and was it hand wound?

Alas, have not seen mine for many years but would love to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Just had a major flashback seeing this watch. I think I might have had the same one for my first watch as it looks very familiar!

What year was it roughly and was it hand wound?

Alas, have not seen mine for many years but would love to find it.
    Cheers, mine is from 1978 and it is a hand wind

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

My first watch

My first watch was a slim white faced, Roman numerals P7000.

My sister still wears it and comes for a free service every so often.

Below is one of my many cabinets of old watches:

Sorry for the photo. It's narrow in the hallway!

Brendan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    Cheers, mine is from 1978 and it is a hand wind
    Sounds about right on both counts. I think mine was the same…

I'm quite envious that you still have yours.

Does it still work??