closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: which folding bike?

which folding bike?

Anyone have words of wisdom regarding makes of folding bike, and what to look out for..
    I see some are quite cheap, but with very bog chain and gearset. Also even veeery expensive ones have only 3 gears. No doubt brompton would be good, but far above my budget. Also, some are called a ' shopper' which makes me cringe, only a biddy would want one !
    How about 'Tern' they do a good range, but are they any good?
    I'll be doing mainly tarmac/ paths, but its quite hilly here too .

Master
    I have literally zero knowledge of bikes but my brother (who does) recommended a Dahon Vybe when I got one last year. Has several gears and is quite easy to operate and cost me about £270 last year IIRC.

Brompton too expensive - maybe a pre owned one? I wouldn't be without mine.

Master
    Not sure what your budget really is, but go pre owned a lot folders have had very little use so you can often pick up a good deal.

Brompton. If you appreciate good engineering, and don't mind paying for it, there really is nothing like them.

Journeyman
    If sheer numbers on the Paddington and Waterloo trains that I have to endure are any indication, then a Brompton is the folding bike of choice.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    I have literally zero knowledge of bikes but my brother (who does) recommended a Dahon Vybe when I got one last year. Has several gears and is quite easy to operate and cost me about £270 last year IIRC.
    +1 for Dahon. Very good bikes for the money. Also look at Moulton bikes. Less compact when folded but superior to Brompton in design in my opinion.

Master
    I owned a pre owned Dahon D7 speed and a Brompton. I could never get on with the awkward fold of the Dahon, it's larger size when folded and it wasn't fun or comfortable to ride.

It's not the answer you want to hear but Brompton is the way to go. Save up and think of it as an investment. They barely depreciate and new prices rise each year. Best of all they are really enjoyable to cycle around on, I'd never be without mine.

Master
    Bromptons are the best with the key criteria being smallest size of fold. Best IMO for ride are Birdys but then price for these are higher again.
    As mentioned by others it is worth saving up to get one of the better quality ones otherwise it become a false economy as they will either break or loose value quickly.

No, I wont be getting a Brompton, as I said initially, even s/hand they are way too expensive.
    I'd like a Calatrava as well, that's another thing I wont be getting. Im not bothered about losing value, I keep my bikes for a long time. I've had my trek singletrack since 1989.

Quite like the idea of this Dahon: never had a nexus hub before, sound like a good idea.

http://www.westendcycles.com/dahon-v...14-c2x14163940

Or this 8 speed version.
    http://www.westendcycles.com/dahon-v...14-c2x14163941

Going to go into the shop and have look later this week.
    Last edited by sestrel; 24th May 2015 at 13:04.

I had an aluminium framed Dahon with 7 gears and it I thought that it was good. No where near as well built and easy to fold as my Brompton but still acceptable - OK for putting in the boot of the car but I never attempted to hop on a train with it. It was about £300 new and I sold it on eBay for £200.

How much do you weigh? There's a weight limit of (I think) 15 stone on them for the seat post. I had a Mezzo D9 which was a cracking little thing. A bit awkward to fold but easy peasy when you've done it a few times. Practice folding and unfolding on a big bit of cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    How much do you weigh? There's a weight limit of (I think) 15 stone on them for the seat post. I had a Mezzo D9 which was a cracking little thing. A bit awkward to fold but easy peasy when you've done it a few times. Practice folding and unfolding on a big bit of cardboard.
    I have a Mezzo D9 which I like very much. £200 s/h plus £120 at the local bike shop getting it tarted up.

I find the fold easy enough. Reportedly has a better ride than Brompton, but actually very little in it.

Journeyman

Why do you want a folding bike?

If you want to commute, all carriers will accept a Brompton. Other models are problematic. I paid just over £300 for a three speed Brompton and am very happy with its performance.

Lack of space really, not commuting. As I said, have some good size hills here, and a decent amount of gears are a must.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toodlepip View Post
    If you want to commute, all carriers will accept a Brompton. Other models are problematic. I paid just over £300 for a three speed Brompton and am very happy with its performance.
    That's a very good buy. I'd happily buy another if I could find one for that price.

Me too

Journeyman

fleabay bargain...

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    That's a very good buy. I'd happily buy another if I could find one for that price.
    It wasn't quite working and well used. Replaced chain, sprocket, cables, one tyre, grips (with ergos), mudguard and chain tensioner, but it was still a great deal...