closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which drone?

Which drone?

I've been fancying a new toy for a while and I like the idea of being able to take photos and videos from the air. The new Phantom 3 looks excellent, though a bit pricey, and the Parrot Bebop which is a fair bit cheaper. I do want something that will take good quality photos, with a built-in camera, and is controllable from an iPad/iPhone. I'm reluctant to spend a fortune on it though, partly because I suspect it won't really get used an awful lot, and partly because there's always the danger of flyaway!

Any suggestions?

Craftsman
    I've seen a few reports of the recently announced lily camera.
    It looks a pretty cool bit of kit from the release video.

http://youtu.be/4vGcH0Bk3hg

www.lily.camera

I have no connection with this company but the initial half price offer could be tempting if you're in the market.
    Joe

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Didn't notice that thread at all, strange because I love garlic bread!

Yes, I saw the Lily thread and that's what set me off thinking about it. Don't think that one is what I want though - I don't need tracking, just iPad control.

...And actually, from what I can see, there's no way to control the Lily at all! It follows the tracker and that's that.

So if you want to take a video of something you can't attach the tracker to, you're a bit stuffed I reckon.

Beware of Johnny Dronehunter.

Well, quite by chance I have the same shotgun as him, so I'm not too worried. But provided I stick to my own land, I can't see angry tooled-up neighbours being a problem.

Has anyone ever owned a drone, and if so, how was it?

The Phantom gets a lot of good reviews...I beleive it's what they use on Countryfile to get the aerial shots. Been looking myself for a really good drone, and this one seems to tick all the boxes. GPS controlled, so will return to where it took off from and land automatically in the event of going out of range, or low battery. Because of the GPS, will hover at the height you let go of the controls, maintaining position automatically whatever the wind speed and direction, allowing you to concentrate on composing a good shot....just got to scrape the cash together....not too expensive...about £500 for the basic machine and another £300 for the GoPro. Add on another £200 if you want a remote control gimbal for the camera....Loads of YouTube vids for this drone.
    http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Well, quite by chance I have the same shotgun as him, so I'm not too worried. But provided I stick to my own land, I can't see angry tooled-up neighbours being a problem.

Has anyone ever owned a drone, and if so, how was it?
    A friend of mine has a Phantom with camera set-up (plus view goggles). I must say it's an awesome thing. He's into photography in a big way and this kit just adds to what's possible.

Master
    I have a phantom and GoPro setup - massive fun. You're welcom to have a play!

Everyone's saying Phantom. The Phantom 3 (on preorder, obsoletes the Phantom 2 Vision) comes with its own camera and controller and is £899 for the basic version, so that sounds like the one to go for?

Craftsman
    I've been looking lately.
    I'm steering towards the Parrot Bebop. It fits the camera spec I'm after but also has a wifi extender as part of its SkyController. This makes a HUGE difference to the range, depending on what you want to do with it.

I also have one of these on order http://www.flyzano.com/ This is the first commercial build by a company that previously only made military 'toys'. The amount of tech they have packed into this thing is insane.

I'm re-thinking this now, as I really don't need the latest and greatest, just something to take a few aerial photos with. I might be better off getting something without a built-in camera, as I can then get a GoPro which I can use for other things as well.

I'll put a WTB up and see if anyone has an older drone they're looking to sell off.

I've been a long-standing Phantom 2 V+ owner and can vouch for it's excellent camera and simple use. Sadly, I did have a crash a few weeks ago - an unexplainable one - just remember they're not infallible and that it's a lot of money to drop out of the sky!

I have a Phantom 3 on order now!

I've got my 2 flying again, perfectly, but the camera is a write-off.

Master
    I've got a Turnigy SK450 quadcopter, and fitted my own brushless gimbal that takes a Go-Pro.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html

I'm on my second one actually, the first one 'flew away' and ended up in the sea! Expensive lesson that was...

My second one has a GPS controller that will fly back and land to where it took off from autonomously if it loses communication with your transmitter, which I suspect is what happened to mine.

With a transmitter and receiver, gimbal and go pro (or equivalent) you're looking at about £400-£450 though, and you need to have a bit of knowledge on building and setting up (only adding a receiver and programming your transmitter). There are lots of YouTube vids out there though.

Better might be one of the many phantom clones that are out there, just add your own gimbal and camera, which come with transmitter and receiver already.

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...arehouse_.html
    Last edited by Tooks; 18th May 2015 at 10:26.

Journeyman

drone

Although discounted now - the DJI Phantom FC40 I had was an excellent 1st drone. Comes with camera (although not GoPro quality stills does 720p) and so easy to fly it's untrue. Second hand I would imagine they'll be £300 or less. You could also had a GoPro if you wanted. Still has all the GPS features of Phantom 2 like hover and return to base.

Yes, either a Phantom 1 or 2 (gen 2 prices will presumably now drop to shift stock) would be great. Still haven't seen one though.

Just seen the Lily Drone over on RLT, and was going to post the link, but I see it's already over here in the first few posts.
    Awwww what the hell...it's worth another look without having to scroll back to the top....
    https://www.lily.camera/

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    I've seen a few reports of the recently announced lily camera.
    It looks a pretty cool bit of kit from the release video.

http://youtu.be/4vGcH0Bk3hg

www.lily.camera

I have no connection with this company but the initial half price offer could be tempting if you're in the market.
    Joe
    Whilst it does sound tempting...remember its just a start-up ...hopefully a successful one as they're smart Berkeley geeks, although sometimes you need the right business minds as well besides the geekiness. The point is the delivery of the product is not guaranteed and there's almost a year till the planned delivery date, judging from all the watch start-ups, we all know those planned delivery dates tend to slip out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RogertheDodger View Post
    Just seen the Lily Drone over on RLT, and was going to post the link, but I see it's already over here in the first few posts.
    Yes, but as discussed previously on the thread, this isn't a drone for photographers, as you can't control it. It can only follow the tracker.

Master
    I've got Phantom 1 and it was a great 'toy' with lots of potential. I have spent nearly 1300 quid on it with the FPV setup...never actually used it and now it's outdated technology....I'll stick to watches..and RC planes

I got my Phantom 3 this week and it's leagues ahead oh my old P2V+. It's a fantastic bit of kit, although not cheap.

I've got the final part of my CAA commercial certification next week, exciting times!