closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming - vintage JLC Memovox

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Thanks Tinker. I don't mind a simple movement if it fits with the style/cost of the watch but a crude alarm sounds, well, alarming, depending on whether it is really obscene or just NSFW.

Like most cheap alarm watches, the noise - a buzz, not a ring - is made by a striker that hits a small post on the case back.

Go up-market and you get a hammer & 'gong' - actually, a circular wire - but you have to dress for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Like most cheap alarm watches, the noise - a buzz, not a ring - is made by a striker that hits a small post on the case back.

Go up-market and you get a hammer & 'gong' - actually, a circular wire - but you have to dress for dinner.
    What other watches have an alarm. I am new to watches and this is fascinating.

:)

@YOLT I am no expert, just interested like you, but there are quite a few similar alarm watches, ranging from Seiko upwards. If you go on www.chrono24.com and do a search for alarm watches (refine by 'Function' alarm) you will find hundreds. (No insult meant to fellow Seiko owners, you know what I mean).

Also if you like this sort of thing, have a look at the repeater watches, which use a similar mechanism to chime the current time when you press a pusher on the case. Most of the top manufacturers seem to do one. Not cheap though but personally I think they are very cool.

Master
    FWIW, my favourite alarm is the Omega Memomatic, because it can be set (almost) to the minute.

Made for fewer than three years, it isn't common, is a dink magnet and isn't easy to re-finish. It also came on a cheap, hair-pulling bracelet, like most Omegas of the time, but the cushion-case of the two variants is very comfortable. The movement, a 980, I think, is accurate and of typical Omega high quality.

Thanks for the tip, just looked at a few Memomatics. Very nice as well, love the cushion-case shape, although the OPs Memovox is a stunner.

Lovely watch! Now I want one 😈

Very nice indeed - wearing my JLC deep sea alarm as we speak.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Don't know that one. Sounds an alarm to let you know you need to resurface?

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    What other watches have an alarm. I am new to watches and this is fascinating.

Quickly two examples:

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Don't know that one. Sounds an alarm to let you know you need to resurface?
    Yes, but it does not really make much of a sound - it more of a vibration you feel through you wrist. Very long alarm - runs for about 15 seconds. Enough you wake you up if you are sleeping.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Wow guys, plenty of information here to think about and the OP does it again, that Enicar picture from primabaleron really piqued my interest. Yet another watch brand to research. I took advise from alfat33 and searched chrono24.
    I like the look of some of the Oris, but can't say I'm enamoured of the Omega Memomatics. But that's just my tastes. I guess I'm more the traditional dress watch kinda person. Watches are mens jewellery and I don't do giant bling.

Which is probably why I keep drooling over the OP's Jaeger.

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    Which is probably why I keep drooling over the OP's Jaeger.

Here's another -

Wow, now that is a thing of beauty...

I now have a different target and... I'm waiting for offers for the Memovox ... :)

Master
    Thoroughly enjoying this thread. I know very little about these watches but the aesthetics and engineering are delightful.

I've seen this for sale and wondered if anyone with more knowledge than I might offer an opinion on it as a possible purchase?

http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...neration-1956/