closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sometimes the watch buying experience can be a good one .....

Sometimes the watch buying experience can be a good one .....

In light of my current debacle I just wanted to share this with you.

This year sees my sons fortieth birthday (boy does that make me feel old) and I wanted to mark it with something special - of course a watch would be the ideal gift. There is only one watch he has shown any interest in for the last couple of years - a Bremont MB2 so I decided I would endeaviur to find one and surprise him with it.

Fate seemed to have decided to make a pre-owned one thin on the ground and as his birthday (May) approached I was getting worried that time was running out for me. Then at the eleventh hour a full set, barely worn, two month old piece popped up on another forum. A deal was finally agreed after a nervous couple of days and a face to face arranged in Milton Keynes to handover cash and watch.

We met in the John Lewis cafe and over tea chatted watches, the seller had bought from an AD but not bonded with the watch so wanted to move on and perhaps put the cash in to another different Bremont, he was chuffed that the watch was going to someone who would really appreciate it (with zero chance of it being filpped) and of course I was delighted to find such a pristine example. It was a really enjoyable experience.

The watch was quickly wrapped up and delivered to my daughter in law, as I'm currently in Belgium I left instructions to give the watch to my son just prior to his birthday for their forthcoming trip to Florence. He wrang me a couple of days ago after opening the watch - "Dad I can't believe it, what a fantastic present, I was trembling when I took the paper off and saw the Bremont box .......... " To say he was chuffed to bits would be a massive understatement, as of course was I. I can safely say that buying my son that watch has given me more pleasure than any I've bought for myself.

And earlier today he sent me this picture from atop the leaning tower of Pisa:

So sometimes it works out to be a really special experience, but in all the right ways.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquavit View Post
    I can safely say that buying my son that watch has given me more pleasure than any I've bought for myself.
    Great story and a very nice watch.

Craftsman
    Wonderful story and a beautiful watch...I recently had a very good face to face buying experience as well. It just goes to show that there are decent sellers out there!...Don't let a few bad eggs spoil the basket!

Well, if your son had the time, the tower had the inclination! {The old ones are the best, as they say!}

Master
    Well that's a far nicer tale than the other thread – hopefully your son will reciprocate it one day.

Craftsman
    Great stuff, hope to be able to do the same for my son one day.

Craftsman
    Well done, balance is restored.
    I've copied this thread to my dad. Well you never know.

Well, you really deserved it. I don't visit the SC very often and I don't even remember if I ever bought something here but all I can say is that what's happening here lately is all but reassuring; happy endings like these are really a breath of fresh air.

Happy birthday to your son (wish I still was 40...)

Master
    Great story and a fantastic watch. Congrats to you and your son!

Craftsman
    Lovely story, fantastic watch and one lucky son. I just hope the incorrect day/date combo is an oversight rather than a fault...

Master
    i think that is a lovely story and how lucky were you to get exactly what you wanted almost in the nick of time.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Lovely story, fantastic watch and one lucky son. I just hope the incorrect day/date combo is an oversight rather than a fault...
    Whoops - I've sent him a text to get it sorted

Much better!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Well, if your son had the time, the tower had the inclination! {The old ones are the best, as they say!}
    Ha! Actually smiled at that :)

Just tried on my first Bremont in the RE Boutique... they are certainly beautifully finished watches, no doubt about that.

Craftsman
    Such a great looking watch. The first Bremont I've seen that's really caught my attention!!

Nice Bremont and a nice story.