closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Errol Brown dies

Errol Brown dies

Can't believe it - only 71

Errol Brown, frontman for the British soul band Hot Chocolate, has died at the age of 71, his manager said.

Phil Dale said that the singer, whose hits included You Sexy Thing and It Started With A Kiss, died at home in the Bahamas.

Brown, who is survived by his wife and two daughters, was made an MBE in 2003.
    Mr Dale described him as “a wonderful gentleman”.

He said: “There was always music around wherever he was. I’ve been with him in the middle of Australia and he has got an idea for a song and started writing.”

Online biographies have long stated that Brown was born in Kingston, Jamaica, in 1948 and moved to the UK with his mother. Mr Dale confirmed that he was born in 1943, making him five years older than thought.

His first break in the music business came in 1969 when he recorded a version of John Lennon’s Give Peace a Chance, which Lennon himself approved.

He scored his first hit with Hot Chocolate in 1970 with the top ten track Love Is Life and went on to have more than 20 top 40 hits.

You Sexy Thing made it into the top ten three times – helped along in 1997 by its use in the film The Full Monty – and the band had their only number one with So You Win Again in 1977. It Started With A Kiss also charted three times.

The band had fans in high places and in 1981 they played at a pre-wedding bash in Buckingham Palace for the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer.

In 2003, Brown was appointed MBE for his services to popular music. The following year, he was given an Ivor Novello award.

Among those paying tribute was singer Beverley Knight who said: “I am so gutted. Errol Brown was such a charismatic performer”, while DJ Dave Haslam called him a “great performer”.

Very sad news, a great charismatic singer, I thought he was a touch younger but 71 is no age to go these days.

My wife is upset.

What a voice. RIP.

Heard the sad news at 5pm today, great memories of some great times over the years with Hot Chocolate playing in the background, RIP Errol and thank you for being on my shoulder when my fingers did their early fumblings.

Craftsman
    Very sad news!!!:-(

Sad indeed

He was a great supporter of horse racing - owned quite a few, and a real nice bloke.

Starbucks should name a drink after him in memory

Master
    Sad news indeed;he always gets me singing when I hear any of the hits; lovely voice and such a cool guy.

Sad news indeed. I remember seeing him at Portsmouth Guildhall in the late 90's. He was still brilliant.

EB

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Sad news indeed. I remember seeing him at Portsmouth Guildhall in the late 90's. He was still brilliant.
    I saw him at the Anvil theatre here and although not my choice he was a great showman and had a really good voice when heard live

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4c...-together_news

and there aint much better than this track

Cheers

Wayne

interesting kettle terence

He got a lot of air time on 6 music today. Made me realise how much his stuff was used on adverts and TV. But what a fine legacy to leave behind :)

Master
    Starting to feel old with loads of artists that I grew up with starting to pass to the other side. 71 is not a great innings for him, RIP

Surprised by some of the numbers regarding how many records they sold and the number of hits they had, unfortunately one of the few soul acts I never got to see.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very sad news indeed. A little bit of trivia. He is the only person from 71 to 84 to have a hit record in every year. RIP Errol

Cold chocolate.

RIP :(

Friend of mine was on a plane to New York by herself when she was 8, she was sitting next to errol on the flight and he basically kept her entertained and looked after her the whole way over. What a gent. She still remembers it now.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    He was a great supporter of horse racing - owned quite a few, and a real nice bloke.

Starbucks should name a drink after him in memory
    The 'Milko'?

M