closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another PC (laptop) question

Another PC (laptop) question

My father in law has a less than 12 month old laptop running Windows 8. He was complaining that it was running slow so I had a look at it and it seems to be using nearly 100% CPU and !00% dick. Now, it is loaded with Chrome and Avast free security. When I checked I closed everything down but CPU and disk were still running at high levels. Any ideas where I look to sort this out?

Master
    Get task manager up (no idea how to do this on 8 but google is your friend) and then sort by cpu and memory to see what is using up the resources. I suspect by dick you mean disk and I suspect by disk you actually mean memory / ram.

When you said you closed everything down and the CPU and disk were still running at 100%, how did you come yo that result.
    It is possible you have some malware running in the background.
    Download and run either Malwarebytes or Superantispyware, (the free versions) and run them, that will elimanate any malware.
    Does the Avast update automatically?.
    If you want to look at Task Manager, the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + Esc .
    https://www.malwarebytes.org

http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html
    Last edited by alan2273; 6th May 2015 at 19:46.

Journeyman
    As the OP's have said there is probably some sort of mal/spyware running in the background.

There are loads of tutorials and help on the web, I've used them in the past to clean friends machines and I'm ex IT.