closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Skywalker X-33

Master

Omega Skywalker X-33

(Not my photo)

I tried one of these on today and as a big ana-digi fan, I must say this blows everything else out of the water.

Ok, it doesn't look as cool and smart as the Aerospace but boy it outperforms it (and as you may know I am a massive Breitling / Aerospace fanboy).

The readability of the digital displays even in strong daylight is awesome (without the backlight) and the range of functions is mind-boggling.

The push buttons make the functionality very easy to access.

Being titanium it was super lightweight and very comfortable and secure on the wrist.

For me, the biggest impression was the legibility of the displays - really fantastic.

Finally, I felt it was well priced (relatively speaking of course!).

Sorry no photos, and sorry to just ramble, but I thought it was worth a little thread for those who may be unsure or unaware of this Aerospace-killer!

Adrian.
    Last edited by ach5; 29th April 2015 at 22:59.

Blog Entries
    Glad you enjoyed it. It is a truelly amazing watch but just too expensive for me. But I may get one 2nd hand or sometime in the future.

The equivalent Brietling is the B50 (or now the B55) in terms of functions.

Meanwhile the X-33 MkII fits my needs.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 29th April 2015 at 22:33.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Banned
    Seems like a nice watch, as long as you have the wrist for it.

Craftsman
    I wasn't even aware it existed.

I've just looked it up and it seems very impressive. Link here : http://www.omegawatches.com/collecti.../skywalker-x33

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    hi - the skywalker is approx same size as the X-33. The Z-33 however is massive!

just a thought- you can get an app to simulate the X-33 skywalker. I wonder how long it will take to port it to the I-watch - suddenly the iwatch doesn't seem so expensive!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 29th April 2015 at 22:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

The equivalent Brietling is the B50 (or now the B55).
    True, but I think the x-33 is the better watch (and doesn't need recharging constantly)

Craftsman
    The Skywalker x33 is a serious bit of quartz kit. The PET (Phase elapsed Time) and MET (Mission Elapasd Time) functions combined with multiple alarms make it the ultimate travel watch, in my opinion.

There's great vid review on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdRanZRlk0

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    It's a regular sized watch, and very light, so no issues there. Fit my 6.5-6.75" wrist perfectly, and not tall at all. I think you're thinking of the z-33?

Looks cool I like it.

ismaaeel

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    It's a regular sized watch, and very light, so no issues there. Fit my 6.5-6.75" wrist perfectly, and not tall at all. I think you're thinking of the z-33?
    Thanks for that. I once came close to buying an X-33, but that was more than 10 years ago. I have a small wrist and at that time I thought it might be a bit big. I guess I was wrong about that.

I think this is the ultimate ana-digi - it's capabilities are incredible. A more than worthy successor to the original X-33 and wears much the same too despite the bigger size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    The Skywalker x33 is a serious bit of quartz kit. The PET (Phase elapsed Time) and MET (Mission Elapasd Time) functions combined with multiple alarms make it the ultimate travel watch, in my opinion.

There's great vid review on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdRanZRlk0
    Well thanks very much for the thread Adrian, and thanks Willows for the link. You've now cost me some money at some point in my life!!!!

Even after selling my old X-33 recently, I now simply NEED one of these. I tried one on briefly but obviously couldn't use it at the time properly. The elapsed timers look amazing though!

I also agree that even on my 6.75" wrist, it wore very well indeed. The 45mm size is misleading with this model.

I just wish it had better WR. I know, it's a space watch, but I'm more likely to float in a pool than orbit unfortunately.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 29th April 2015 at 23:58.

Blog Entries
    Agree with others The Skywalker is certainly a worthy successor to the first X-33.

Master
    This has just gone on to my 'want list'. On paper it's too big for me, has so many functions that I would probably never need or use and is waaay over my usual watch buying budget comfort zone. But how many of us let minor issues like that get in the way of craving and possibly succumbing to purchase a watch at some point? I've not owned an X-33 and admit to finding the styling a little dated. This one though looks superb in web images and I'm sure even better in the flesh.

I must say, to my eye, this is a nicer (more 'grown up') looking ana-digi than earlier X-33s.

M

Master
    Sorry Wayne (and others who I have just convinced they NEED this watch!)

It really is fantastic.

However, the functions truly do require you to sit down with manual (or the app) to learn them - just playing in the shop I couldnt get any of them to work! I understand they are all very easy to use - you just need to invest 10 minutes learning them all!

I can see myself picking one of these up in the future, once I have scratched my Navitimer itch!

Master
    Sorry Wayne (and others who I have just convinced they NEED this watch!)

It really is fantastic.

However, the functions truly do require you to sit down with manual (or the app) to learn them - just playing in the shop I couldnt get any of them to work! I understand they are all very easy to use - you just need to invest 10 minutes learning them all!

I can see myself picking one of these up in the future, once I have scratched my Navitimer itch!
    Is the app only on the iPad? Couldn't find it on my phone.

Craftsman
    And like the original X33 it has a superbly loud alarm that really can be heard above the noise on an airliner.

I'd buy one for the name alone.

Is it available from May the 4th?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rushroon View Post
    I think this is the ultimate ana-digi - it's capabilities are incredible. A more than worthy successor to the original X-33 and wears much the same too despite the bigger size.
    So much more usable than the breitling and the size is not an issue as wears more like a 42mm.

My next watch but not at £3720 as it does not appear to be selling well at this price and is available with a bit of web searching around the £2800 mark which makes it a reasonable price for an excellent watch.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I just wish it had better WR. I know, it's a space watch, but I'm more likely to float in a pool than orbit unfortunately.
    Surely 30m is good enough for swimming.

Do they withstand negative pressures (as on a spacewalk)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

On a spacewalk, you'll hopefully be wearing a pressure suit. If not, your watch will be the least of your worries.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    On a spacewalk, you'll hopefully be wearing a pressure suit. If not, your watch will be the least of your worries.
    They're worn over a spacesuit.

Blog Entries
    They're worn over a spacesuit.
    dont think so - only the speedmaster was (is) worn like that. The pics of the X-33 I've seen are all inside the space stations - never on EVA.

dont think so - only the speedmaster was (is) worn like that. The pics of the X-33 I've seen are all inside the space stations - never on EVA.
    Maybe that answers my question?

Master

I understand the WR and it was designed for space etc.... But it makes you wonder why they couldn't put a better WR on the watch considering a G Shock costs approx £80 and has a 200 mt water resistance.
    Back to the watch the second gen is a handsome looking thing, like the way the digital script reads across rather than around the outer edge and the bezel looks great, the only negative for me is the shape of the crown which would take a bit of getting used to, I suppose the shape is designed for ergonomic use.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    I understand the WR and it was designed for space etc.... But it makes you wonder why they couldn't put a better WR on the watch considering a G Shock costs approx £80 and has a 200 mt water resistance.
    No, it's a perfectly fair point. I was being a numpty. An astronaut watch must be able to operate in vacuum. And I find, looking into it, that it's the same answer to both questions:

Why aren't the Speedmaster Moonwatch and X-33 Mars Watch more water resistant than 30 meters?

[During a spacewalk] the air pressure inside the watch becomes greater than the air pressure outside the watch. The tigher seals of a highly water resistant watch can prevent these pressures from equalizing as quickly as they might change in the environment. The weakest seal for handling internal pressure is that holding the watch's crystal. When internal pressure exceeds that seal's limits, the pressure will escape by causing the crystal to pop out.

This is why the Speedmaster Moonwatch and X-33 are not made waterproof to great depths. These air pressure difference issues occur in routine space mission events, rendering a watch that cannot handle them a danger to the mission.
    So in other words, if the watch allows air to escape from inside when you're in space, it can't also stop water coming in when you're underwater, and vice versa.

Master
    Bitfield, nothing was aimed at you, I know very little about these watches or space for that matter, I was just curious why when an £80 G shock can be rated at 200mt it makes you wonder why not a £3000 plus watch?
    Nothing against Omega as it's a superb watch which I wouldn't mind owning myself.

OP, you're a swine. I now want one of these, very badly indeed! I went into the Omega boutique in the Royal Exchange today and the manager very kindly unpacked the Solar Impulse LE Skywalker X-33 which he'd just received so I could have a try on. It is a thing of rare beauty, and the blue/green colour scheme really suits the watch well.

Barryw: the crown is similar to the one on Gen-2 X33s and it is indeed that shape for ergonomics - turning the crown doesn't do anything, its functions are accessed by pushing it in and pulling it out. The Gen-1 watches had a traditional crown and I understand they failed quite a lot as people were struggling to pull them out easily.

I am really coming round to the looks of these - but the price just seems a little crazy to me. Almost £4k retail!!! Just when Omega were cutting their Quartz models in other ranges to up their asking price for the co-ax models, they go and launch digi models for more or similar rrp's.

I am am hoping these are equivalent to SQ thermo units.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I am really coming round to the looks of these - but the price just seems a little crazy to me. Almost £4k retail!!! Just when Omega were cutting their Quartz models in other ranges to up their asking price for the co-ax models, they go and launch digi models for more or similar rrp's.

I am am hoping these are equivalent to SQ thermo units.
    Yes these are 'highly precise' thermo-compemsated modules.

Caliber: Omega 5619Highly precise thermo-compensated multi-functional quartz movement with special functions developed based on an ESA patent filed by astronaut Jean-François Clervoy and tested and qualified by the European Space Agency (ESA). It powers the Omega Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 whose analog hands and LCD windows display, among other values: three different time zones, chronograph, timer, MET (Mission Elapsed Time), PET (Phase Elapsed Time), three alarms and perpetual calendar.
    Power reserve: 24 months

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    OP, you're a swine. I now want one of these, very badly indeed! I went into the Omega boutique in the Royal Exchange today and the manager very kindly unpacked the Solar Impulse LE Skywalker X-33 which he'd just received so I could have a try on. It is a thing of rare beauty, and the blue/green colour scheme really suits the watch well.

Barryw: the crown is similar to the one on Gen-2 X33s and it is indeed that shape for ergonomics - turning the crown doesn't do anything, its functions are accessed by pushing it in and pulling it out. The Gen-1 watches had a traditional crown and I understand they failed quite a lot as people were struggling to pull them out easily.
    I may just have to wonder over to the Royal Exchange on Tues and take a look! I notice the bezel is rather different on the LE. But the price is eye-watering for this version that comes on a Nato - not even a Ti bracelet!

Master
    I may just have to wonder over to the Royal Exchange on Tues and take a look! I notice the bezel is rather different on the LE. But the price is eye-watering for this version that comes on a Nato - not even a Ti bracelet!
    The special edition is great, but this "standard version" is the one to have.

I was very, very, very impressed when I handled one on Wednesday!

Craftsman
    Im very interested to read you found the digi display very easy to see as a lot of photos make it look the opposite. That was putting me off even looking at one, so maybe Ill have to now !

The X-33 Skywalker looks much better than the Gen 1 & 2 X-33s, and it's presumably got the same functions. But I think I need to see it in a few videos from the ISS before I really take the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    The X-33 Skywalker looks much better than the Gen 1 & 2 X-33s, and it's presumably got the same functions. But I think I need to see it in a few videos from the ISS before I really take the bait.
    I played with the iPad app for a while, and it seems OK, but I think I prefer the look of the 2nd gen X-33. And I don't think the Skywalker is really worth the money - it's basically a G-Shock at the end of the day.

I've owned this and currently have the B50. Similar functionality although the B50 does have automatic backlighting when the wrist is rotated to 'looking at the time' angle.

The X-33 Skywalker is a great bit of kit, certainly needs an hour or so of manual studying (this is one of the few watches where you do need to read the manual) just to set the time. The watch is well executed, is really legible and is a serious but of kit. I disagree with the comment from the previous poster - this is not just a G Shock. Not by a long stretch

The ltd edition green version is pretty cool also.

Very nice and would take it any day over Aerospace, B50 or the previous versions. Z33 is a different matter.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I've owned this and currently have the B50. Similar functionality although the B50 does have automatic backlighting when the wrist is rotated to 'looking at the time' angle.
    Do you prefer the B50 over the Skywalker? I'm still trying to decide between the two...

Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    Do you prefer the B50 over the Skywalker? I'm still trying to decide between the two...
    Hmmm. Good question. I prefer the B50 as it is absolutely massive and IMHO the styling is cooler however mine is currently in Switzerland with Breitling repairing it by fitting the new movement as the first batch that came out were allegedly often faulty. Mine was super buggy. When it works properly it will be the perfect tool digi analogue

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Hmmm. Good question. I prefer the B50 as it is absolutely massive and IMHO the styling is cooler however mine is currently in Switzerland with Breitling repairing it by fitting the new movement as the first batch that came out were allegedly often faulty. Mine was super buggy. When it works properly it will be the perfect tool digi analogue
    That's a shame - cant have been more than a month old?

It is a fab looking watch though, despite its quirks and downsides.

But them I am a Breitling fanboy!

Master
    I think £3720 but as i previously said around £2600 in Europe which is were i am off next week by chance.Booked it months ago and didn't realize that it was the day after the general election so another bonus.

Hoping to try and pick one up as this is my next watch.

Also this one is available on flea bay for £2900 cash (no connection with seller)and i think these will come down to mid 2000 shortly and will make them reasonable value.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OMEGA-...item4638ed81bc

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    i think these will come down to mid 2000 shortly and will make them reasonable value.
    There is this pervasive idea that because a watch is quartz, it should be cheaply priced - why?

I think the RRP isn't unreasonable (in context of Swiss Watches, for watch fans!), not that anyone would ever pay RRP.

You're getting a incredibly functional, good looking, more unusual watch with NASA heritage for much less money than the boring old black dial Rolex sports that every else has ... snore!!!!

Master
    There is this pervasive idea that because a watch is quartz, it should be cheaply priced - why?

I think the RRP isn't unreasonable (in context of Swiss Watches, for watch fans!), not that anyone would ever pay RRP.

You're getting a incredibly functional, good looking, more unusual watch with NASA heritage for much less money than the boring old black dial Rolex sports that every else has ... snore!!!!
    The only reason i think the price will drop(not new because Omega won't do that but on the second hand market) is that they have not been selling well in U.K.(from an Omega A.D.)and that they are available from Europe at £2800 ish.

I tried one on in Manchester at the start of the year and i agree they are a very good watch.

I have nothing against quartz and own an Omega Seamaster Quartz.

I also tend to buck the trend and no longer have a black faced Rolex sports as you can see below.

I will buy one of these in the near future but not at anything like the RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I also tend to buck the trend and no longer have a black faced Rolex sports as you can see below.
    Snap! I have the same one.

And multiple black-faced Breitlings... d'oh!!

I tried one on recently and loved it. Very nice on the wrist and function-mungous.

Ive now got one on order, will report back here when it arrives. Once it does get here it'll be a straight fight between the Skywalker and my aerospace for ani-digi duties.

Craftsman

Cheers David - thanks for the link. Great review of an awesome watch

I wish I hadn't looked at this thread. Seriously.

I tried on Ryan's one at the Christmas London GTG last year and thought it was a great watch, one I'd happily own.