closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have I lost my mojo, or simply become a one watch man?

Craftsman

Have I lost my mojo, or simply become a one watch man?

Dear forumati
    I have apparently reached a bit of a crossroads. Having aquired a 14060m from one of our very helpful members here I find that I am just not wearing anything else...at all. I have a nice hesalite speedy bought by Mrs H for a milestone birthday a couple of years ago, a couple of G10's (which the kids might want on colourful NATOs in a couple of years- side question, as I'm sure it's coming, "do they do pink NATOs?") and a Seiko 009....and none of them get any wrist time. The sub is simply too good, fits the bill and does the job.
    I do like the idea and look of the explorer but can't really justify another watch/Rolex specifically at this point, so often have a look at a Tudor Ranger as an alternative, but tonight have simply been thinking "what's the point? You don't wear anything other than the sub!"
    Anyone else been through this? Maybe just need to step away for a while and stop obsessing....?

I'm close to that with my new SMPc, although I've been through it with my Subs, SD's and a few others too. Thankfully I've just put them in the watch box and try something else for a while, and then revisit them from time to time. But the SMPc is all the watch I need for the moment :)
    It's just a matter of time...

I completely get you. I've got a small but focused collection including a Seamaster Pro, a vintage gold Marvin dress watch, a G-Shock 5610...but since buying the Pelagos the others have had no wrist time. It goes with every outfit and simply "does the job excellently".

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I completely get you. I've got a small but focused collection including a Seamaster Pro, a vintage gold Marvin dress watch, a G-Shock 5610...but since buying the Pelagos the others have had no wrist time. It goes with every outfit and simply "does the job excellently".
    Very tempted by the Pelagos, after missing out on an Omega Aqua Terra (blue hands) this is the watch I want to get next. I have however noticed on Chrono that are for sale seems to be rapidly vanishing. I guess when the list price is over £2800 and you can pick one up for under £2k has something to do with it, coupled with the fact that the new version is round the corner and people potentially snapping up the current model. Think my plan is to get the Pelagos and then leave it at that as it seems such a versatile watch. How are you liking yours?

I'm absolutely in love with it, on topic, I haven't worn anything else whether in my PJs at home or in a 3 piece at work. It seems like the peak of practical watch design - functional, light, robust, accurate. I haven't even mentioned how much of a godsend the spring-adjusted clasp system is. Couple all that with the way it looks and you just can't say no.

I went for the ETA version and the new release actually moved my purchase up.

The Pelagos won my with comparison on here - a very good one watch solution imho - but then so is a 14060, and there are a lovely classic now too :)
    It's just a matter of time...

After quite a few years of buying/selling numerous watches (mainly Seiko), in the last six months I've been trying to get to the point where you are now......the 'one' watch. But, for me, I know it's just not going to be possible. I think I have nailed it down to three, but any less is going to be impossible. That said, I believe that I have found my perfect three and currently have no interest (mojo) in sampling any more.

On the one hand it has taken the buzz out of the hobby a little, but life does feel a lot calmer, saner, certainly less broke.

Enjoy the 14060M. You have reached your destination :-)

Craftsman
    Cheers! Funny thing is I didn't really set out looking to end with one watch trumping all others. May turn out to be an extended honeymoon period and others come back to the fore....

Journeyman
    I find myself in the same position since the arrival of a GMT Master II a few months back. I look at other watches but the buying urge is short-circuited by the thought that I wouldn't be wearing it. Its good for my bank account at least.

Master
    I'm exactly the same as the OP. I had a number of nice watches (Sea Dweller, Sub Date, Monaco, SMP, PO 42mm, and various beaters, Tunas, Oris etc), and then bought a 67/68 5513. I fell in love with it from the minute I got it (mid 2014), and the love affair has continued. Over the last 6 months I've sold pretty much all of my other watches, because the 5513 does it all for me. Great with jeans and a tee shirt, perfect with a suit and tie, and just a lovely watch that I enjoy every day. The fact it's a birth year watch just adds to the appeal.

Does it stop me looking at other watches? No... I've a hankering for a Black Bay, and I'd like another Speedy at some point, but I'm in no rush as I suspect at the moment that they'd also end up relegated to the watch winder, and won't replace the 5513.

(Now that I've said all of that, expect to see a "Rolex 5513 For Sale" post on SC here in a couple of weeks...!)

Are you still in the honeymoon period with the sub? Last year I sold three watches to reduce the collection. Have bought them all back since.....I just like to change and decide every day what to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    I'm exactly the same as the OP.
    Does it stop me looking at other watches? No.
    +1. Some watches render all others to the drawer or see incoming pieces rapidly flipped. And when it happens it does feel rather strange.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been a one-watcher for over a year now, from a previous collection of 9.
    The one watch has changed intermittently, always been a rolex sport variant, but after a gradual process of try-all ive settled on a 116610LN that works for me on all levels so i cant see me changing it again.
    anyway, long story short, i dont see any point in having more than one when i keep reaching for the same option all the time.. doesnt mean i dont love looking or that ive lost any level of interest.

I can wear the same watch for months, even over a year, but eventually I'll swap out.
    Gray

I'm in the same position after buying a 14060 last September. Other watches hardly ever worn, I even tried changing strap to Isofrane for a change but kept going back to 'Bond' NATO as it just looks so right.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I can wear the same watch for months, even over a year, but eventually I'll swap out.
    It's a funny old hobby this....

One watch here...Sub C for 2 years. It replaced a Sea Dweller which was my only watch for years.

My problem is if I have multiple watches, I always wear my favourite and never wear the others.

At some unknown point in the future I presume I will want a change.

Until then I will lurking around here most days