closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Latest MRI scanner images

Master

Latest MRI scanner images

The very latest V8 of MRI machines - I give you the massive 11.7T Iseult project machine : I mean wow !!! Congrats all round guys !!

https://healthcare-in-europe.com/en/...i-scanner.html

B

Wow, thats amazing!

Better not forget to tell them about any shrapnel injuries with that much magnetic power.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Wow, thats amazing!

Better not forget to tell them about any shrapnel injuries with that much magnetic power.

Fortunately all the metal in me is Titanium :-)

B

90cm central opening? I guess that is the hole you go through? If so you wouldn't get me in one. My claustrophobia wouldn't allow it.

A nurse at the MRI when I went said 20% of people can't cope with the entombment of the normal MRI's.

After pressing the escape button a few times they put me in a MRI where you lay flat on a bed and this huge disc comes down but you arms are free so you don't feel so trapped.

I just about managed it.

That said the accuracy of the images was unbelievable so Gawd knows what the Iseult is like.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    90cm central opening? I guess that is the hole you go through? If so you wouldn't get me in one. My claustrophobia wouldn't allow it.

A nurse at the MRI when I went said 20% of people can't cope with the entombment of the normal MRI's.

After pressing the escape button a few times they put me in a MRI where you lay flat on a bed and this huge disc comes down but you arms are free so you don't feel so trapped.

I just about managed it.

That said the accuracy of the images was unbelievable so Gawd knows what the Iseult is like.
    Current “large bore” ones are now 70cm, standard ones are 60.

That 10 cm makes a difference for me (claustrophobic), an extra 20 cm probably. even better.

Plus there is a chance may be they can use it in an open bore-vertical one, without risking that the loss in resolution would exclude some application needing higher magnetic fields, like cardiac imaging.

Journeyman
    Almost fell asleep when I was in one a month or so ago.. recon being without phones and work stress meant I took advantage of 30 minutes all to myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m a big lad so I need the biggest one they have. Also have to wear long sleeves or my arms get rubbed raw.
    That said I love the noises they make. I’ll wear the headphones but request no music as I find the odd rhythmic banging really relaxing and soothing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Almost fell asleep when I was in one a month or so ago.. recon being without phones and work stress meant I took advantage of 30 minutes all to myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Me too. I find them fascinating and only issue I've ever had is if you've got hip impingements, having a block between your ankles and your feet held bolt upright for 30 mins saw me cramping inside a few minutes but just mind over matter.

Master

I just about managed it.

I had an MRI many years ago, lasted about 15 mins before the claustrophobia and clanging got to me and I pressed the “ get me outa here” button

I used to work on an EMI CT scanner in the late 70's.
    The patient's head was immobilised in a water-filled rubber balloon and each slice took about 5 minutes to collect data.
    I don't recall a panic button for claustrophobics.
    Things have moved on a bit since then and no mistake.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing.

I am currently awaiting to hear if I can have a MRI due to a possible issue but I had a brain haemorrhage clipped 22 years ago and the doc’s are unsure what material was used. Until confirmed I am on hold.

Pitch

Craftsman
    That looks amazing. Anything that can increase resolution is to be applauded.

I had an MRI recently and was okay for around 25 minutes, then started to feel very claustrophobic so pressed the emergency button. Turned out I only had a minute to go, so managed to finish. I'm hoping if I have any scans in the future that it's a more modern machine that is less closed in. That closed in panic feeling was not nice!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I had an MRI many years ago, lasted about 15 mins before the claustrophobia and clanging got to me and I pressed the “ get me outa here” button
    Had one a few years ago & get why some feel very uncomfortable.But doesnt or shouldn't the fact your having the procedure to find an health issue counteract those feelings.Better that than not sorting something out.

I would have thought.

I’ve used smaller isolation tanks…
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Years ago I worked for a research lab at Nottingham University and volunteered to be scanned a few times, just for testing and research. Their MRI scanner was the most powerful in Europe at that time, as I recall. Must admit I didn't like that feeling of being slid into a tight space the first time, but I closed my eyes, listened to the music and actually I came to find it very calming eventually.

For all you claustrophobia sufferers, we have an open/upright MRI machine in one of our London sites. It's quite impressive although nothing like as powerful as the one linked by the OP. There are a few in the country, often private so it's a service unfortunately not available to most NHS patients, unless you are lucky enough to have your NHS appointment with a contracted provider.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Years ago I worked for a research lab at Nottingham University and volunteered to be scanned a few times, just for testing and research. Their MRI scanner was the most powerful in Europe at that time, as I recall. Must admit I didn't like that feeling of being slid into a tight space the first time, but I closed my eyes, listened to the music and actually I came to find it very calming eventually.
    I've had quite a few MRIs in my time (probably got another one coming up soon). For me, the 'worst' part is just getting comfortably settled - but once it all fires up then, like you, I just chill out and relax. I think I even hum along under my breath, making up a tune in my mind, to the buzzes and bangs.

Craftsman
    I have had a few MRIs, including a 50 minute one this week. I don’t get claustrophobic as such, but I am not a fan of the noise - even with earplugs and ear defenders I still find it very loud. I wonder if this new instrument is any quieter, or maybe it is even noisier as it is more powerful?

Master
    Blog Entries

I just about managed it.

After having a bike crash I found myself claustrophobic bizarrely. I think it was having a helmet on and not able to breath whilst lying on the road in a bit of pain with features and internal bleeds.

Anyways. I had to go for an mri scan recently and was really dreading it.

The nurses listened to my extreme fears, explaining it’s very common and to make it easier for me they put a large fan on with cold air circulating/blowing “down” the tunnel of the scanner. They also put eye shades on me.

What a difference it made and I was able to cope.

Worth asking Neil if ever you need one again.

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; Yesterday at 21:11.