closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The watch that will stop me flipping?

Master

The watch that will stop me flipping?

No chance as the thrill of the chase is too much fun for me. However this is definitely one of the best all-round watches money can buy, and I'd still say that even if I didn't have this one...

It's the first watch in ages that's attracted comments from friends and family without any prompting, and they've all been positive, which is rare. I can see myself wearing this one almost any time, anywhere as it's so versatile, and not huge either. Really pleased I went for another.

Feel free to share your SD pics. Sorry for the dirt on this one; it was a rare spare moment the other day.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 27th April 2015 at 22:34.

Master
    "The watch that will stop me flipping?"

Hahahahahaha

hahahah

oooooooh I needed that laugh Wayne, cheers!

;-p

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    "The watch that will stop me flipping?"

Hahahahahaha

hahahah

oooooooh I needed that laugh Wayne, cheers!

;-p

In all fairness, I thought about this option... for a few seconds.

Master
    Yep, lovin' mine too. This and a classic Sub on a nato are pretty much all I want and wear these days.

Ant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    Yep, lovin' mine too. This and a classic Sub on a nato are pretty much all I want and wear these days.

Ant
    I tried my LV on a NATO recently but it looked terrible on my wrist. I think I need to find a decent quality NATO to pull that one off.

...or a larger wrist!
    Last edited by W44NNE; 27th April 2015 at 23:03.

Yes I suffer from the same affliction alas. I do believe I have found my ideal iteration of the SM300 which I picked up yesterday

The other piece in my collection that is relatively safe for now is the SBGV009

Safe for me means it is literally weeks before I flip them.....

Simply gorgeous.

Master
    beautiful!

After seeing and holding my managers tritium dial SD the other week I need one in my collection. Epic creations

I must admit the SD4000 is a lovely thing - the contrast between the matt dial and ceramic bezel is really cool. I've not had one before but would love to try one out.

How do you find it on the wrist compared to the Sub?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yep, that hit's the spot.

This has to be the best divers watch currently out there... a real "sub killer"... perhaps only held back by the length of the lugs (though I havent actually tried on).

Do you prefer the bimetal to the SS?

Master
    Nah you want a real Seadweller!!!

Master
    Thanks all :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I must admit the SD4000 is a lovely thing - the contrast between the matt dial and ceramic bezel is really cool. I've not had one before but would love to try one out.

How do you find it on the wrist compared to the Sub?
    It wear similar to a SubC, but the lugs make it look more compact. Both have their virtues but where you'll hear people moan about the lugs of the SubC, I don't think I've seen or heard that with the SDc ever. It's nicely balanced as well whereas I struggled with the 16600 as I found it a bit top-heavy.

I do like your SM300 Ryan. Very nice, solid, well made with great styling. Unfortunately, due to my girly wrist, it wore just as bad as the Speedmaster 57 I tried...

However, I would really like to try an SM300 with a NATO strap as that might wear much better.

The SDc wears smaller on me and is within the constraints of my wrist. This was my previous one...

Yep, that hit's the spot.

This has to be the best divers watch currently out there... a real "sub killer"... perhaps only held back by the length of the lugs (though I havent actually tried on).

Do you prefer the bimetal to the SS?
    I wanted something dressy and I like the Sedna Gold. It makes it less toolish than the SS but I really like it. To be honest all versions of the SM300 are lovely - I guess SS is closest to the original. I really, really like this model as you can tell :)

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Thanks all :-)

It wear similar to a SubC, but the lugs make it look more compact. Both have their virtues but where you'll hear people moan about the lugs of the SubC, I don't think I've seen or heard that with the SDc ever. It's nicely balanced as well whereas I struggled with the 16600 as I found it a bit top-heavy.

I do like your SM300 Ryan. Very nice, solid, well made with great styling. Unfortunately, due to my girly wrist, it wore just as bad as the Speedmaster 57 I tried...

However, I would really like to try an SM300 with a NATO strap as that might wear much better.

The SDc wears smaller on me and is within the constraints of my wrist. This was my previous one...

That looks great. I guess the extra heft of the SD makes it feel different on the wrist. I do think that's a home run for Rolex, no cyclops and lovely matt dial, plus 40mm size case.

They really are amazing bits of kit. I've worn nothing else since mine arrived two weeks ago. It's also the most accurate rolex I've ever had. Currently running at 1.5 second a day. There isn't one thing I'd change about it.

Quick iPhone photo so apologies for the poor quality.

I'm struggling with this and 116610LV. I like the depth of 4,000 but the LV's case and crown guard win my heart.

Love it and it sist safely in my small collection.

Master
    I like the SDc's case shape a lot, but I can't get used to seeing a date and no cyclops on a Rolex.

I wish they had a similar styled case on the 114060 Sub ND. It's about the only thing I'd trade my Pelagos in for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    I like the SDc's case shape a lot, but I can't get used to seeing a date and no cyclops on a Rolex.

I wish they had a similar styled case on the 114060 Sub ND. It's about the only thing I'd trade my Pelagos in for.
    I love the older Submariners, but on my wrist at least, the case of the SDc wears better than the current Sub range. I could happily live with a cyclops on any watch personally, but it's no big deal as the SDs have never had one; that's for Submariners, GMTS, Yacht-Masters, Date-justs, Sky-Dwellers etc. I guess it has something to do with the depth rating, as the cyclops is glued on top of the sapphire crystal on the above watches.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    I'm struggling with this and 116610LV. I like the depth of 4,000 but the LV's case and crown guard win my heart.
    The LV is a stunning watch and if you could afford it, they'd actually make a lot of sense in the same collection together. I personally have an older LV alongside this. The sunburst dial of the LV looks great, but so does the matte dial of the SD. I would say that overall though, the SDc is that bit more versatile, and also a bit less flashy so it depends what you're aiming for.

I don't really see what the depth has to do with things though. I didn't buy it for that... I'm sure the Sub's 300M rating is more than enough for most, and even that would go down a lot further without issue I'm sure, should you happen to own a submersible capsule and happen to attach the watch to a claw :-D

Funny that this came up now. I have the 16600, the LVc and the new SDc, trying to decide which to sell for my house extension fund. Can't for the life of me decide. My original SD was a qualification gift, so has attachment. And I don't feel I can lose the LVc and be left with two very similar watches.

I do find that the SDc is a little heavier and bulkier the wrist than the LVc - not quite as comfortable for me, but still comfortable (so not much in it).

Didn't you flip your first SDc on the grounds of it being too heavy? What made you buy another one? Apologies if I'm mixing you up with someone else!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Funny that this came up now. I have the 16600, the LVc and the new SDc, trying to decide which to sell for my house extension fund. Can't for the life of me decide. My original SD was a qualification gift, so has attachment. And I don't feel I can lose the LVc and be left with two very similar watches.

I do find that the SDc is a little heavier and bulkier the wrist than the LVc - not quite as comfortable for me, but still comfortable (so not much in it).

Didn't you flip your first SDc on the grounds of it being too heavy? What made you buy another one? Apologies if I'm mixing you up with someone else!
    I flipped my first mainly due to the values dropping, but yes it is heavy. However it's not uncomfortably heavy as it's so well balanced. I've definitely had worse but I wouldn't recommend buying this over an Aerospace.

With thy our predicament, I'd struggle as well. I'd say the best all rounder is the SDc, but you won't wear an SDc and an SD like you say, however selling your original SD could be a regrettable mistake. Arrrgghh! First world problems :-D

Master

Wayne, I'd say that this watch looks perfectly proportioned to your wrist, and sits perfectly.

"The One" is a destination that will never be reached, but makes for a very interesting journey.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post

"The One" is a destination that will never be reached, but makes for a very interesting journey.
    Your words are trust, oh wise one :-D

Nice watch.

I think about getting one of these but I have this nagging doubt that I would eventually find the minute markers on the bezel too much and too busy. This makes me lean towards an LV (hulk) as I already have a black faced diver in my Pelagos. Then I think whilst the LV is nice and I like the way it looks different colours in different light, could I live with so much green and the SDc would be a better choice. I run through this on an almost daily basis!

Enjoy.

If i had to buy a 'One to do it all', i think that the SDc would be on top of my list (with old 16600/16660/Master 300 sharing the second place). Phenomenal watch, wear it on leather in the morning, by noon put it on a NATO and scuba to 30m in a cave and then metal on the evening dinner. A real action watch!

That looks well proportioned. May I ask what your wrist size is?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    That looks well proportioned. May I ask what your wrist size is?
    Sure, it's 6.75".

"Stop me flipping"

Funny

Blog Entries
    Perfect. I need one.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Love it and it sist safely in my small collection.

This is my 4:th SD4000. The other watch in the pic did made me stop flipping

https://instagram.com/p/12avJqhWAm/

And my "exit-watch"

Say it ain't so, Wayne - I'm looking forward to buying that SDc off you in a few months!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Say it ain't so, Wayne - I'm looking forward to buying that SDc off you in a few months!
    Can I last that long?? Time will tell :-D

Believe it or not, my collection currently has three watches that have been there several years!! Some do make it :-D

Out of all my watches I've flipped this is the only one I regretted and purchased another!

Craftsman
    Cracking picture, and almost makes you think how good it would be in titanium!

Great looking watch and IMO the best currently in the Rolex range.
    If it was just a tad bigger....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Great looking watch and IMO the best currently in the Rolex range.
    If it was just a tad bigger....
    Noooooooo, its size is fine. In between is the Pelagos and then you have the DSSD. The SubC, although the same diameter, also wears slightly larger.

Blog Entries
    Here's one of mine

Sure, it's 6.75".
    Thanks. That means it would possibly fit me too. I'm beginning to like it more than is good for me...

Master
    Wayne, I'd say that this watch looks perfectly proportioned to your wrist, and sits perfectly.
    Me too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Here's one of mine

How about the other 10 or so - LOL.

I love the new Sea Dweller-it looks great and is pure quality-
    if it had the DSSD micro adjustment clasp it would be perfect.......

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I love the new Sea Dweller-it looks great and is pure quality-
    if it had the DSSD micro adjustment clasp it would be perfect.......
    i thought the SD4000c had that clasp? Am I mistaken? (It's highly likely, just researching my first likely Rolex purchase and the numbers confuse the hell out of me)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    i thought the SD4000c had that clasp? Am I mistaken? (It's highly likely, just researching my first likely Rolex purchase and the numbers confuse the hell out of me)
    The SDc has a glidelock clasp. It can be adjusted in micro steps but you have to take the watch off to do it. The DSSD clasp can be adjusted without taking the watch off. A lever lifts up on the outside to allow you to adjust it. I've also removed the divers link off mine. I'd never use is and it make the watch even more comfortable.

I like a Sea Dweller too.

Here's my U series with some unfortunate gatecrasher in the pic too.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    They really are amazing bits of kit. I've worn nothing else since mine arrived two weeks ago. It's also the most accurate rolex I've ever had. Currently running at 1.5 second a day. There isn't one thing I'd change about it.

Quick iPhone photo so apologies for the poor quality.
    Likewise, had mine a month a hardly been off the wrist. Your 1.5s/d is impressive; mine is a rock solid +3.5s/d. Fit and weight feels just fine on my 6.5 inch wrist.

Journeyman
    A great piece of kit, surely a high point in the modern Rolex range?
    Very happy with mine, which is saying something considering that in 15 years of being into watches I had bought everything but a Rolex, the SDc had enough appeal to change that.

Master
    Thanks for all the nice comments, and great to see pics of SDs, both new and old :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    The SDc has a glidelock clasp. It can be adjusted in micro steps but you have to take the watch off to do it. The DSSD clasp can be adjusted without taking the watch off. A lever lifts up on the outside to allow you to adjust it. I've also removed the divers link off mine. I'd never use is and it make the watch even more comfortable.
    I would have preferred the DSSD clasp for sure as it is just pure genius, however I have to say, adjusting the SDc on my wrist has never been an issue. It's a bit fiddly but I've got the knack now I reckon so it's no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorky View Post
    Likewise, had mine a month a hardly been off the wrist. Your 1.5s/d is impressive; mine is a rock solid +3.5s/d. Fit and weight feels just fine on my 6.5 inch wrist.
    I've had mine since Wednesday last week and it's gained 1 second in all that time