closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pressure washing decking

Master

Pressure washing decking

I've recently got a Kaercher K2. Our decking is about 4 years old and has turned grey-green.

As someone who likes to do as little as possible beyond mowing the lawn, I thought this would simply a matter of turning on, washing off, done.

However, after giving it a go for a few minutes it seems that if I keep nozzle to far away, the green stuff doesn't come off. If I hold it close, I seem to damaging the decking. What's the secret?

Craftsman

pressure washer

Ive just done mine today. I have a nilfisk 130bar with a nozzle that turns the jet in circular motion very quickly. And its come up a treat.
    Do you have a patio cleaner attachement. As this would probably help.

Master
    Try treating it with a biocide prior to washing. Give it a treatment as per boxes instructions (decking spray from B&Q or the like), wash it off, give it 24 hours to dry, and then power wash. Should mean you can be a bit more gentle with the power washer but still get it clean.

You need to be really careful with pressure washing decking, the pressure used is good enough to remove the crud but also can remove the pressure treatment inside the wood.
    As suggested a bit of cleaner and brush is best with some elbow grease

Master
    Can you get the patio cleaner attachments on their own?

Master
    @ omega steve

I do not have a patio attachment,all I've got is this

http://www.tesco.com/direct/karcher-...FQEFwwodX3AA-A

@ Bonesey

will try the biocide, thanks.

Master
    I'm genuinely curious. Did you literally "give it a go for a few minutes" then decide you needed to consult the Tzuk oracle?

I wonder how how many of us now turn to this forum for everyday matters such as this. I know I sometimes do.

btw, I think the biocide idea is best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    I'm genuinely curious. Did you literally "give it a go for a few minutes" then decide you needed to consult the Tzuk oracle?

I wonder how how many of us now turn to this forum for everyday matters such as this. I know I sometimes do.

btw, I think the biocide idea is best.
    I consulted Google before the tzuk oracle. I even used the search engine before I posted the thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Can you get the patio cleaner attachments on their own?
    You can, but they are almost as much as my basic Karcher.

I bought one of these (off a forum member in fact) and it has proven to be excellent at cleaning decking: the big advantage is that it gives an even treatment, so avoiding the lines potentially left by using just the lance.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Were you using the dirt blaster lance, or the standard one?
    If the former, switch to the latter. If the latter, you just need to find the optimum distance, which will probably vary over the decking.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of exposing a wood deck straight to the high pressure washer nozzle. The pressure of the water causes wood splinters to come loose from the wood, making the deck impossible to walk on with bare feet. Perhaps different wood (teak vs ...) do not have that problem, but I would try first: treat the deck and let it dry. Then feel if it's still smooth enough for bare feet. If not... I'm what you call an 'experience expert'...

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I bought one of these (off a forum member in fact) and it has proven to be excellent at cleaning decking: the big advantage is that it gives an even treatment, so avoiding the lines potentially left by using just the lance.

R
    That looks good. Did part of the patio the other week and I think some of the joints suffered! The stone looks great but I'm sure I'm damaging the joints. Only have a jet wash that I bought from Woolies years ago.

Master
    It's a bit of a ball ache but I scrub mine by hand with an old fashioned scrubbing brush

Master
    i used one of those karcher patio attachments to do my decking this time, having previously used the high pressure lance. What a difference - as well as being more even, it stopped me and everything else from getting covered with crud. Its as easy as hoovering or mowing the lawn with a flymo. Mine came as part of the kit with the washer, probably expensive separately but you might find one on ebay etc.

Blog Entries
    I've also got the patio cleaner attachment for my (Nilfisk) pressure washer and it is superb. You can adjust the pressure according to what you are cleaning with a rotary knob on the attachment - so can give concrete slabs the full blast whilst being gentler with decking etc. I then used the nozzle which makes circular movements to clean in the corners and awkward areas.

I usually treat the decking to some oil or varnish (whatever is cheaper or on offer) after it's had time to dry. Come up like new......well almost. ;-)

Craftsman
    Dont use biocide, but plain Soda powder dissolved in water works wonder, kills the algae and the deck will even stay fine longer

Armillatox. Your local agricultural shop etc should have some.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Armillatox. Your local agricultural shop etc should have some.

+1

B

I built this deck nearly 15 years ago, with tanalised decking from a local fencing supplier. It has had an annual jet wash using a patio attachment to get rid of any green that appears during the winter (its on the north side of the house, so doesn't get any sun until late afternoon) and every two years I treat it with Thomsons Water seal (or equivalent) It still looks like it was laid recently, with no deteriation anywhere.

That looks great, some good timber and some good workmanship. You'd recommend the Thompsons Water Seal then I take it!?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    That looks great, some good timber and some good workmanship. You'd recommend the Thompsons Water Seal then I take it!?
    Definitely...it's a bit awkward to apply to the overhead pergola because it's like water, but I use a small 4" roller to do that, and a standard 9" roller to do the deck itself. It smells of white spirit for a couple of days, but soon wears off, and the silicone it contains repels water for ages.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've not had any problems just using the standard lance and finding the right distance by trial and error. You have to be patient and work methodically, though.

What I would recommend is using an decking oil rather than a stain.

Craftsman
    Try Patio Magic from B&Q or Wilkinsons. Worked on my last lot of decking and on the fence.