closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first big indie purchase - FPJ

My first big indie purchase - FPJ

The worst kept secret on the forum, this is why my beautiful IWC Perpetual had to go, the Octa Divine 40mm in platinum. Couldn't be happier so far!

It has my three favourite complications; moonphase, power reserve (120hrs!) and big date and is so far the only watch I have to incorporate all three of them, although I have a plan, as always. Size wise it's oerfect, wears larger than my 5205 but that wears small (as it were) for 40mm. Looks great on, very low key and this really is the optimum size for me.

Quality is as you'd expect, just tremendous - I plan on doing a comparison with some of my other pieces when I get the chance. The solid gold movement is beautifully finished and is such an unusual thing to see in the first place. I miss the contrast of gold inlaid on steel bridges, I miss gold chatons... But it's all gold now!

Moon and date are both set from the crown, turn one way for date, the other for moon - so simple. The distinctive hand shape I have come to really love while researching FPJ generally after it was first offered to me and what I read impressed me; each watch made by a single watchmaker, and only 7-800 FPJs made per year which adds a nice exclusivity.

Couple of snaps before the light left:

All in all, very happy bunny and I hope this one's a keeper!!

How on earth do they achieve a 120-hour power reserve? And how can a whole movement be made out of gold – it must be a bitch to work with on components that small and intricate.

It's not my style but I tip my hat to the sheer craftsmanship of it. A true horological work of art

Movement shot tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Movement shot tomorrow?
    Will do!

Banned
    Congratulations, it is a good feeling to acquire a piece that some time and effort has been invested in choosing. That does not look like an impulse purchase. Enjoy in good health.

Master
    Crikey that is simply amazing. I have to see that movement. I should have thought gold would be far too soft but presumably they use an alloy.

It sounds scarily expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Crikey that is simply amazing. I have to see that movement. I should have thought gold would be far too soft but presumably they use an alloy.

It sounds scarily expensive.
    Their gold movements were discussed a month or 2 ago (FPJ Bleu) and seems gold can be harder than we imagine.

Banned
    It's not to my personal taste, but I really like it, a very interesting design.

Couldn't be happier that it has gone to a good home on the forum. It still is and will remain my favourite watch of all time and one day will return to the Top Cat fold. Enjoy it!

Congratulations Lewis……..

I had the privilege of owning a Black Label Calendrier, there is one of my threads on the forum regarding it.

I loved everything about it. The craftsmanship is beyond reproach and the movement made from R/G……..Wow

I still wonder, even many years later, why I sold it!!!!! :((((((

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Couldn't be happier that it has gone to a good home on the forum. It still is and will remain my favourite watch of all time and one day will return to the Top Cat fold. Enjoy it!
    Thank you Tony - you've been an absolute gent throughout with the patience of a saint!

Good luck with the house and viva Espana!

What a lovely looking watch - you must be very pleased with it. Look forward to seeing the movement shots!

Craftsman
    I think it looks great. I would love to own a FPJ one day. Can't wait to see the movement shot.

That is awesome - congrats!

Look forward to seeing the shots of the movement

Enjoy it

That is a beautiful watch.. Congratulations.

Are the hands black or blue? They seem to change colour dependant on the light.

That is totally gorgeous. Congratulations!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How on earth do they achieve a 120-hour power reserve? And how can a whole movement be made out of gold – it must be a bitch to work with on components that small and intricate.
    Big barrel (or twin/triple barrels) is how – along with efficient gear train design.
    Gold is no more difficult to machine than brass – you'll just use harder tools or make the parts whilst it's softer, then put them through the hardening process afterwards.
    Both options may be used overall, with specific parts being made using the most suitable methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    Are the hands black or blue? They seem to change colour dependant on the light.
    Blue – which like most mid-dark colour tones, will look black in shadow.

Still can't get away with the FPJ hands but aside from those that's actually very nice, and I'm typically a Journe hater.

Also, with the direction you're going, I can't wait to see what this one makes way for ;)

Craftsman
    That's very nice, I do like seeing less common manufacturers. Are we talking Patek money for something like this, or not quite that bad?

Well into Patek territory!

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    That's very nice, I do like seeing less common manufacturers. Are we talking Patek money for something like this, or not quite that bad?
    Patek money but less complication for your money...

Economies of scale, FPJ produce 700 watches per year, Patek 50,000. I would say the FPJ is a more labour intensive watch to build as well.

Blog Entries
    Always good to see people go off the beaten path and making different choices.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Great stuff, glad you managed to get it! Cracking watch and FPJ is an absolute top notch brand. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Still can't get away with the FPJ hands but aside from those that's actually very nice, and I'm typically a Journe hater.
    I'm with you as far as the hands are concerned. They look like an afterthought "they'll do, stick 'em on it".
    Stunning otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I'm with you as far as the hands are concerned. They look like an afterthought "they'll do, stick 'em on it".
    Stunning otherwise!
    It took me a while to come to love them - looking at a lot of Journe watches, you realise it's a major part of the brands identity. I can see they aren't for everyone though :)

Blue strap with fine white stitching needed I think...

Craftsman
    Stunning watch , I love the brand, any of their watches are grails of mine . Your a lucky man .I have bought 5 tickets for tonights euro lottery rollover ,hopefully I will be off to the F.P Journe boutique tomorrow.

Master
    Lovely watch!
    I've been looking for a CB myself.

Looks stunning. Congratulations. Look forward to the movement pic.

Here we go...

And one of the dial...

Size wise, it really is spot on at 40mm, both diameter and weight. Slightly too big (IMHO, Raj's opinion will differ ;)) for a dress watch, but I don't wear it as a 'dress' watch, it's a daily work watch and for that it is absolutely perfect, with jeans as per today or with a suit as per... err, never.

Everything I have read about them (which is surprisingly little really as they is no hokey history to go through to find Caesar and Charlemagne both wore one) made me want to own something from FPJ but I had no huge... desire? for one because there is no marketing machine - a very strange feeling these days and actually quite refreshing. I bought his because of the horology, the distinctiveness of it and the admiration for Francois Paul Journe's work. What a refreshing feeling and I feel different when I wear it to how I do when I wear something from a bigger, more marketing savvy company. That;s not to say i don;t enjoy being part of a 'brand', I do and freely admit it, but this feels very different.

Edited to add - the text on the bridge reads:

Calibre 1300-2 Invenit et Fecit - Adjusted 5 positions
    Exclusive Power Reserve System
    Precision Chronometer
    18K Gold Movement
    Last edited by DB9yeti; 24th April 2015 at 13:07.

I love this watch, great choice.

I also think the hand are perfect.

However, the off centred rotor makes me wince a little.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    However, the off centred rotor makes me wince a little.
    I love it - just another quirk... :)

Beautiful iconic model. The handmade elements are truly what makes indie watches special and each piece unique.

I find the off-center rotor quite interesting as well. Not really a fan of some of the handwound models (doesn't look harmonious to my eyes).
    Last edited by PhiloStan; 24th April 2015 at 14:37.

Lovely movement pics.Looks great on the wrist ,

Master
    That looks fantastic, classical without being too ornate. Congrat/s. Moonphase and power reserve the perfect complications for that watch, as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post

Size wise, it really is spot on at 40mm, both diameter and weight. Slightly too big (IMHO, Raj's opinion will differ ;)) for a dress watch, but I don't wear it as a 'dress' watch, it's a daily work watch and for that it is absolutely perfect, with jeans as per today or with a suit as per... err, never.
    A daily work watch (beater?) - Yeah, right.

Master
    Enjoy it in good health.

I like spectating on your on going watch journey :)

What a beautiful watches. Congratulations. I'd hope to own something like this one day but for now I'm really happy to look at yours! Enjoy it in good health.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    Enjoy it in good health.
    😄😄 Did you actually say that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
     Did you actually say that?
    Well I was going to do a "it's not my cuppa, but if you like it.." but I hate those responses.

So settled on a good old cliché :)

So this is what all the dilemmas were about? You needn't have doubted yourself. What a great piece.

I've handled a few now and not only the quality is impressive but despite them being a youngish company you get a sense of heritage from them because of their design and manufacturing ethos.

Love it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    A daily work watch (beater?) - Yeah, right.
    My work doesn't require any beating; there are no magnetic fields, I don't need it to stop a bullet have lume that would light up a coal mine or have abyssal water resistance - I sit at a desk. If they send me off to the desert again, then I have a Kobold or a Tuna.

So 'yeah, right' it's a daily work watch by definition :)

That is something special for sure, I had no idea things like this existed. Love the 120 hour power reserve and the movement is just sheer art

Congratulations on a great acquisition, I hope it gives you many hours of pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    So this is what all the dilemmas were about? You needn't have doubted yourself. What a great piece.
    It was worth it - I still beleive the IWC PC I had to part with was one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen and the horology of the quickset PC was beyond reproach. I miss it, but I don't miss wearing it, if that makes sense.

Very nice indeed, however personally it would become truly beautiful if it had a dome crystal.

Many congratulations.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Lovely!!

Banned
    Thanks for the movement shots, very nice. The off center rotor is interesting, any idea why it is like that?

Master
    I can't put my finger on why, but this is the first Journe that appeals to me. Must be the moonphase. Very pleased for you Yeti, great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    My work doesn't require any beating; there are no magnetic fields, I don't need it to stop a bullet have lume that would light up a coal mine or have abyssal water resistance - I sit at a desk. If they send me off to the desert again, then I have a Kobold or a Tuna.

So 'yeah, right' it's a daily work watch by definition :)
    Well worth the trades and good to see it'll be worn properly and not stuck in a safe.

Malc

Craftsman
    FPJ is indeed one of the best. Very dressy pure watchmaking. Not like HYT or Armin Strom who I also adore but more like Arnold and S or the likes...beautiful piece wear it in great health''