closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cooking the perfect steak

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon butter
    1 tablespoon flour
    2⁄3 cup milk
    1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
    1 tablespoon white wine
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 dash pepper sauce or 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper

In a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender.
    Sprinkle with flour; stir until blended.
    Gradually add milk.
    Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
    Add blue cheese, wine , white pepper and cayenne pepper.
    Heat through.
    Serve sauce over meat.

How about a blue cheese sauce to compliment it.
    Last edited by the big fella; 14th April 2015 at 19:02.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster77 View Post
    i read a article not long ago about going from oven to stove top, trying to find it but turned everything upside down but for a consistent medium rare made sense ?

found it reverse sear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08
    Reverse sear is the way to go if you don't have, or don't want to grill. But, a meat thermometer is a must, and the temp low (and slow) is the trick. Pull the steaks at 100°, let them rest, and then sear at high heat, in a dry pan, until they hit 125° for rare (130° for medium rare).

I like an instant read thermometer like the ThermoPop or the Thermapen better than the leave-in probe style meat thermometers, but to each his own. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZVJM4M

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I disagree that you 'need' a meat thermometer to cook a decent steak...I prefer to go by instinct and experience personally.

Its not rocket science and can probably be distilled down to a few basics:

-Steak must be at room temperature before cooking
    -You should start it in a searingly hot pan.....how you finish it off ie oven or lower heat is individual choice
    -the cooked steak must be left to rest for a decent period

And what is is about steak that makes you hungry just talking about it? I have just this minute finished a rather nice king prawn laksa i made yet I now want to slap a steak on to cook.

^^^ I used to say the same about the thermometer but once I tried it I realised its a good bit of kit, easy to use and accurate.

Have you tried using one?

Craftsman
    Room temperature is number one but DO NOT ADD PEPPER at the beginning. Pepper burns - stick some in a hot frying pan and taste it if you don't believe me. Add pepper to taste nearer the end. Salt does not burn in the same way.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    ^^^ I used to say the same about the thermometer but once I tried it I realised its a good bit of kit, easy to use and accurate.

Have you tried using one?
    Honestly? No
    I know,I know...if I haven't used one how can I dismiss it? Same way as I dismiss potato ricers,but then that's probably another argument altogether!
    I'm sure some folks swear by them,but each to their own....I just think that if I am capable of churning out a steak cooked to my requirements then it's sort of superfluous.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Honestly? No
    I know,I know...if I haven't used one how can I dismiss it? Same way as I dismiss potato ricers,but then that's probably another argument altogether!
    I'm sure some folks swear by them,but each to their own....I just think that if I am capable of churning out a steak cooked to my requirements then it's sort of superfluous.

I was the same!! To be honest mine only comes out when I'm doing a roast chicken or cooking a large piece of meat but it's a handy inexpensive gadget if and when you need it👍

Master
    Well, I think it went rather well!

(bearing in mind I am absolutely not a chef and very rarely ever cook anything - certainly nothing as "proper" as this!)

Good job mate :)

Looks lovely!!

Did you end up eating both??

Good stuff.

:thumbup:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4
    Gordon Ramsey, rendering the fat and adding butter for colour are top tips.

Two minutes under a hot grill each side...

Anything else is just breathy Masterchef twaddle...

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post

Did you end up eating both??
    Ha, yes! One wasnt quite enough, and two was a bit of a strecth, but you only live once ;-p (plus the puppy wolfed down a few chunks too!)

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Ha, yes! One wasnt quite enough, and two was a bit of a strecth, but you only live once ;-p (plus the puppy wolfed down a few chunks too!)
    Easily resolved by leaving the vegetable garnish on the side

Brilliant, thanks for the advice so far!

I dont drink, so no red wine here!

Also I am a bit of a health nut, so I dont eat potato / chips either!! sorry!

I did pick up a nice tray of "mediterranean vegetables" for roasting, so will have those :-)

Any more secret tips, keep them coming,.

Alex - those steaks look amazing! (dont have a bbq though!)

Sweet potato wedges go very well with steak, if you haven't already tried them. Roasted tomatos on the vine with some balsamic vinegar and a well seasoned steak and the job's jobbed.

Cooking the perfect steak.. a good question. Loads of good advice here.

A lot of people just chuck a steak on a barbecue and hope for the best. A good way to ruin it.
    Generally the worst place to get a steak in the UK is in a Steak House.

I notice in France they generally fry their steaks.
    I notice in the USA they generally marinade them then grill them.

James Martin fries his in a touch of oil and a fair bit of butter, finishing it off in the oven. Tom Kerridge is a butter man too. They baste it in the stuff. Butter, of course, is better for you than most oils.

Yep got to be butter and touch of oil to start it

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You're not a fan of Beef carpaccio then?

Eating rare meat isn't a pissing contest, it's more tender and tastes great.
    I like my steak medium but certainly nowhere near rare. I have only had carpaccio once and I have to say it was vile. Most expensive starter I've ever ordered and the most food I've ever sent back.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Sweet potato wedges go very well with steak, if you haven't already tried them. Roasted tomatos on the vine with some balsamic vinegar and a well seasoned steak and the job's jobbed.
    Ah, this. Might be my weekend treat I think, not had that combo in a while. I also like it with thick slices of raw vine tomatoes as they're naturally salty so become perfectly seasoned when you grind some black pepper across them. Superb!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I like my steak medium but certainly nowhere near rare. I have only had carpaccio once and I have to say it was vile. Most expensive starter I've ever ordered and the most food I've ever sent back.
    had it twice in Germany was amazing then tried it in UK few times and ever since its been no where near as good

Ah, this. Might be my weekend treat I think, not had that combo in a while. I also like it with thick slices of raw vine tomatoes as they're naturally salty so become perfectly seasoned when you grind some black pepper across them. Superb!
    I find it interesting how much this thread shows that food doesn't have to be complicated to be incredibly good; if the ingredients are good and fresh they stand on their own.

I grow tomatoes. They are ugly, misshapen and absolutely gorgeous. I can - and do - just eat them off the vine in passing ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    ...if the ingredients are good and fresh they stand on their own.
    Absolutely, although they don't need to be fresh! The steak I buy is aged for a minimum of 28 days ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Absolutely, although they don't need to be fresh! The steak I buy is aged for a minimum of 28 days ;)
    To me, "fresh" means "not past its peak" rather than, say, having been picked or shot that morning... to supermarkets it means "not currently rotten". Legally the definition is confusingly vague, but it boils down to "not preserved with chemicals and still looks and tastes OK" (although chilling is fine) and in the case of meats it also includes the idea that it shouldn't have been thawed then defrosted for sale.

Hanging is fine and legally you could still sell it as fresh, but probably people would complain ;)

Master
    The perfect steak...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Sweet potato wedges go very well with steak,
    I refer you to my photo above - those are sweet potato chunks, not carrots - and they are lovely!

Concur with a lot of above, in my own experience :

Rib eye - room temperature
    Large glass of red of your choice - sip frequently during process
    Cast iron griddle pan - Le Creuset is my weapon of choice
    Highest heat burner on gas stove (wok if you have one) for 10-15 minutes until maximum heat achieved
    Open doors, windows, deactivate smoke alarms
    Rub olive(or AN other oil) into one side of steak, season well with freshly ground salt and pepper, place in pan face down
    While in pan, oil and season other side which is facing up
    Leave according to done-ness required - finger test good. Medium rare about 90-120 secs per side
    This *should* generate a nice stripy char on each side
    Take out and rest on warm plate for at least 5-10 mins covered with foil
    If it's rare or medium rare, there may be blood/juice leaks out during resting - wipe off with kitchen roll if it bothers you
    Serve with chips, Mayo, sautéed mushrooms, caramelised onions or accompaniments of your choice.

Enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Mayo
    perfect until you said this!!!

Mayo?! Are you one of our European friends?! ;-p

The only way to enjoy perfect steak is this

Last edited by VDG; 15th April 2015 at 19:36.

perfect until you said this!!!

Mayo?! Are you one of our European friends?! ;-p
    Possibly of Dutch ancestry ;). Do like mayo with chips if I'm having with steak, perversely if I'm having chips with a burger, it's ketchup. Go figure...:)

Starving now! For me:

Room temp meat
    Hot griddle pan
    Rub oil on meat
    2 -230 mins per side on griddle,

Remove rest under tin foil, with knob of butter on top, at least 5 mins (or cooking time)

Then, season.

As said pepper burns and I believe salt soaks up the moisture, the same with homemade burgers, I find mine juicier without salt, until ready and rested. Ummmmmm.... Steak :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Olic View Post
    Starving now! For me:

Room temp meat
    Hot griddle pan
    Rub oil on meat
    2 -230 mins per side on griddle,

Remove rest under tin foil, with knob of butter on top, at least 5 mins (or cooking time)

Then, season.

As said pepper burns and I believe salt soaks up the moisture, the same with homemade burgers, I find mine juicier without salt, until ready and rested. Ummmmmm.... Steak :)

230 mins per side is one well done steak.
    In my local butchers last week the butcher took some fillet back off a woman when she said they were going on a George Forman. He said she only needed a burger.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    230 mins per side is one well done steak.
    In my local butchers last week the butcher took some fillet back off a woman when she said they were going on a George Forman. He said she only needed a burger.
    Good man!

Could have just been bad Carpaccio?

I don't like my steak too rare, pink, but not red, but do like good carpaccio.

Is the general consensus that 'Le Creuset' are the pans to go for?

I need to get a new one and was actually going to ask on here for opinions.

Le Crueset ain't cheap but they do last - my griddle pan is still going strong after 16 years. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    The only way to enjoy perfect steak is this

<< picture of scrum-tastic steak tartar snipped >>

That looks so good and the perfect meal on a warm summers evening

Having never had a ribeye, I'm a rump man, how does it compare?

I Like the flavour of rump and never find it tough as I have it blue to rare, so never go for more expensive cuts like sirloin or fillet. How does ribeye compare to rump in terms of flavour?

Brighty

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

I Like the flavour of rump and never find it tough as I have it blue to rare, so never go for more expensive cuts like sirloin or fillet. How does ribeye compare to rump in terms of flavour?

Brighty
    Ribeye has a higher fat content distributed throughout the meat, and fat equals flavour!!

I'd argue ribeye has a much better taste than rump, is more tender ... but it has to be cooked a tad longer - you'd not want ribeye blue as the taste and texture would be a little greasy.

If you like your steak blue there is no better cut than fillet - taste is delicate but perfect, and the lower fat content lends itself extremely well to being raw / blue.

Brighty

In price order I'd say rump, sirloin, rib-eye then fillet. For flavour I prefer Rib-eye, and find rump and sirloin a bit boring and occasionally tough. If Rib-eye's on the menu that's my choice everytime. Unless we're sharing then its Chateaubriand and a Béarnaise sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    That looks so good and the perfect meal on a warm summers evening
    I can duly confirm it was heavenly, washed down with chilled Minuty before going for another dip Speaking of tartare de boeuf, I find Côte chain very acceptable, in fact it is now a go to place if I need a fix

Brighty
    Definitely rib-eye or filet if you like your steak mooing on your plate..

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I can duly confirm it was heavenly, washed down with chilled Minuty before going for another dip Speaking of tartare de boeuf, I find Côte chain very acceptable, in fact it is now a go to place if I need a fix
    Cote is very good, but it is shipped in pre-mixed rather than prepared on site (when charming company asked for it without the capers they had to admit that wouldn't be possible as they were already in the packet).

Also check out Brassiere Blanc - another small chain French place that does pretty good steak tartar; or for something a little more fancy Oblyx in the Shard had very good steak tartar which I then followed with a surf and turf of ribeye and lobster.

The rump cap - 'Picanha' - is growing on me. A good cut for steaks.

Grand Master
    I`m no expert at cooking steak, but the one lesson I have learned is to always buy good quality meat. If the meat's not good quality it doesn`t matter how you cook it, it'll still be tough and chewy. Personally I prefer steak cooked to a point where it's just pink in the middle but not dripping blood.

I recall an incident from my childhood, when mum bought some cheap steak and grilled it. The result was tough enough to mend your shoes with. My dad tried eating it, grumbled and chuntered for a while before losing his temper. He picked the steak up and threw it at our boxer dog who was licking her lips in anticipation. The flying steak was accompanied by the phrase........... 'here dog, you have a go at it'

Paul

IROTI (I Read On The Internet - just made that one up by the way) that the smoke point of oil is the temperature at which potentially carcinogenic compounds are formed, which is why you are advised not to fry with certain oils.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    IROTI (I Read On The Internet - just made that one up by the way) that the smoke point of oil is the temperature at which potentially carcinogenic compounds are formed, which is why you are advised not to fry with certain oils.
    If that were true, we'd be banned from making roast potatoes and Yorkshire Puddings.

Oh dear, yes apologies the ":" eluded me :) if you can put chips next to it without them going soggy it's over cooked.

Master
    Been watching this thread develop with interest, MASSIVE steak fans here!

I could go on and on and on and on, but...

We're not that keen on what we term the necessary evil that is "supermarket meat" but tonight I cooked 2 small'ish (½ inch thick) sirloins from Tesco's reduced section that were picked up in passing, normally I practice sear roasting but tonight I just couldn't be bothered and decided to stick to pan frying. They were probably some of the thinnest sirloins I'd ever cooked and so turned to this handy steak cooking chart and used it in conjunction with my trusty Thermapen, with really quite surprising results

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post

We're not that keen on what we term the necessary evil that is "supermarket meat" but tonight I cooked 2 small'ish (½ inch thick) sirloins from Tesco's reduced section that were picked up in passing, normally I practice sear roasting but tonight I just couldn't be bothered and decided to stick to pan frying. They were probably some of the thinnest sirloins I'd ever cooked and so turned to this handy steak cooking chart and used it in conjunction with my trusty Thermapen, with really quite surprising results
    The steaks I've had from M&S aren't too shabby either ... though they are quite small.

These days I buy the whole cut from the 28 day matured range at Booker's cash and carry meat counter - the sirloin, ribeye, and fillet and all have been very good (always a superb Beef Wellington and quite a steaks from the fillet).
    The missus goes mad mind, as when I'm carving the cut into steaks I've a tendency to slice thick and she struggles to eat them .... so I have to help her out

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    Cote is very good, but it is shipped in pre-mixed rather than prepared on site (when charming company asked for it without the capers they had to admit that wouldn't be possible as they were already in the packet).

Also check out Brassiere Blanc - another small chain French place that does pretty good steak tartar; or for something a little more fancy Oblyx in the Shard had very good steak tartar which I then followed with a surf and turf of ribeye and lobster.
    Cheeky b.. then again you pays your monies. Good shout re Brasserie Blanc don't think I ever been, and I'm yet to do Oblyx, being a lazy bastard I usually end up in Baisdale or Wolseley. Anyway here is a little diagram for the fellow carnivores ;)

http://www.allensofmayfair.co.uk/cut-explorer#/beef

And for more adventurous types the last entree on the board du joure

PS Brassiere eh

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post

I have found Tesco to generally have the best steaks, with ASDA having the worst, (of the major supermarkets, I'm sure M&S and Waitrose are probably better, but don't have either near me).