closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Age Drivers' Ability

Master
    Blog Entries

Old Age Drivers' Ability

How many of you have experienced the driving of an old age person whose ability is questionable at best.

If so have you ever mused over what assessment is done by a GP in giving medical assurance of that ability.

Moreover, have you wondered if anyone links the DVLA and BMC (or whoever) about that assessment OPERATIONALLY??

An interesting assessment would be the number of old people who, whilst not in a traffic crash, actually contribute to it by their ability to drive.

So, whats your thoughts or knowledge of GPs assessments done on old folks for driving ability??

Jim

Friend of mine is voluntarily surrendering his license at the end of this month because he no longer believes his reactions are fast enough to continue driving in a manner he considers to be safe. He already does not drive at night because he says his vision reacts badly to oncoming headlights and does not recover very quickly after.

I fear there are many drivers on the road who are in the exact same position as he is, but will not or cannot recognise it. I do not think it is unfair to allow elderly people to continue to drive only on condition they pass a yearly medical test, and in fact I believe everyone should have to do so at regular intervals; I wear glasses - this is noted on my license - but no-one has ever required I take regular tests to determine if my eyesight is deteriorating... it isnt - has been stable for years - but the DVLA have never asked and I think it is somewhat lacking that the last time I had to prove I could see was in a test-centre car-park when I was about 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    How many of you have experienced the driving of an old age person whose ability is questionable at best.

If so have you ever mused over what assessment is done by a GP in giving medical assurance of that ability.

Moreover, have you wondered if anyone links the DVLA and BMC (or whoever) about that assessment OPERATIONALLY??

An interesting assessment would be the number of old people who, whilst not in a traffic crash, actually contribute to it by their ability to drive.

So, whats your thoughts or knowledge of GPs assessments done on old folks for driving ability??

Jim
    1) Yes.

2) It's bound to be largely based on specific conditions which the DVLA consider impair driving ability, GP is not the arbiter of subjective judgement relating to driving. GP can (must?) inform DVLA of (new) specific conditions and license renewal requires disclosure of those.

3) What?

4) No, that data could never exist by nature.

5) I don't see that a basic safety test would be untoward. But then if I was 78 I might just tell you to do one.

Jim
    I have some experience through an elderly relative. His impression was that GPs are reluctant to raise issues of competence because they know that to do so can be very damaging to the person's independence, especially with the growth of out-of-town shopping and the lack of old-style corner shops.

On the other hand, given the statistics, it seems that teenage drivers are a far greater risk than the elderly ;)

Last year I reported an old dear for dangerous driving and only this morning I had to emergency stop due to come old chap pulling out on me at a T junction. Thankfully I part anticipated it as I could tell that he didn't look in my direction before turning, however after sounding my horn he still just drove on as if he was the only person on the road. I'm regularly behind someone doing 35-40mph for no apparent reason on a road I take to work even though it's a 50mph zone, more often than not the driver is of an older generation.

I believe that once past, say 65yo (or maybe 70), scheduled driving skills and awareness assesments should be mandatory, not health assessments.

My Dad is a bit of a liability on the road now and has been for a while. For the most part his driving is OK, but sometimes he dithers on making decisions, which could be costly. He's 85.
    Luckily, he lives on a tiny paradise island, which has low speed limits and light traffic.
    He has a diesel Nissan SUV and last year he used two tanks of fuel. For the whole year.
    When he took the car in for its certificate, the mechanic pointed out that he had driven it since last time.
    So, not too much of a threat?!

I thought that in the UK you had to undergo a medical or something at seventy years old?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Last year I reported an old dear for dangerous driving and only this morning I had to emergency stop due to come old chap pulling out on me at a T junction. Thankfully I part anticipated it as I could tell that he didn't look in my direction before turning, however after sounding my horn he still just drove on as if he was the only person on the road. I'm regularly behind someone doing 35-40mph for no apparent reason on a road I take to work even though it's a 50mph zone, more often than not the driver is of an older generation.

I believe that once past, say 65yo (or maybe 70), scheduled driving skills and awareness assesments should be mandatory, not health assessments.
    Yes, I will agree that some older drivers are a hazard...................For a your information a 50 mph sign is a maximum speed and not a compulsory speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    My Dad is a bit of a liability on the road now and has been for a while. For the most part his driving is OK, but sometimes he dithers on making decisions, which could be costly. He's 85.
    Luckily, he lives on a tiny paradise island, which has low speed limits and light traffic.
    He has a diesel Nissan SUV and last year he used two tanks of fuel. For the whole year.
    When he took the car in for its certificate, the mechanic pointed out that he had driven it since last time.
    So, not too much of a threat?!

I thought that in the UK you had to undergo a medical or something at seventy years old?
    You have to renew your license at 70 and part of that (as with getting a new license) is a self-declaration relating to your health - including vision and mental issues. After that I think you have to do so every 3 years.

There is no question on the form that reads ARE YOU A DODDERY OLD BASTARD WHO CANT SEE OVER THE BLOODY STEERING WHEEL?, but even if there were no-one actually checks you have completed the form accurately.

I guess that if you are driving having declared yourself to be 100% and you cause an incident relating to, say, your diminished vision then your insurance company might tell you where to go...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    Yes, I will agree that some older drivers are a hazard...................For a your information a 50 mph sign is a maximum speed and not a compulsory speed.
    It's a limit not a target...

Master
    I rarely come across old people who are more hazardous than the attention elsewhere mothers and fathers or the indestructable and 'I've passed my test so I know all there is to know about driving' youth and these two categories are far more numerous.

There is no requirement for a medical assessment based on age, so it has no input by a GP. There is a self declaration at age 70 as previously mentioned. New illnesses should be declared to the DVLA by the driver themselves, this is a mandatory requirement but I suspect many people don't bother. If an illness is declared, the DVLA will usually contact the GP for more info. It would be rare for a GP to inform the DVLA directly due to confidentiality issues, and only then if there is a clear risk to the public that outweighs the legal duty of confidentiality (dementia would be the most likely reason in my experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    I get that and I agree however when the road is straight, it's during the day, there's no other traffic about, it's dry and there aren't any crests or hidden junctions to drive at 35 in a 50 indicates to me a degree of over cautiousness and a lack of ability. They're not doing anything dangerous per se in driving at that speed and I'd rather that they drive within their limits, I just don't see those limits as being very high. Having said that, there's no guarantee that just because they're driving slow that they won't follow other aspects of the highway code.

Journeyman
    It is very rare to come across an older driver with a mobile phone jammed to his or her ear, unlike the many younger drivers i see when i am out and about. Would of thought it would be better to have a go at the latter rather than older drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    There is no requirement for a medical assessment based on age, so it has no input by a GP. There is a self declaration at age 70 as previously mentioned. New illnesses should be declared to the DVLA by the driver themselves, this is a mandatory requirement but I suspect many people don't bother. If an illness is declared, the DVLA will usually contact the GP for more info. It would be rare for a GP to inform the DVLA directly due to confidentiality issues, and only then if there is a clear risk to the public that outweighs the legal duty of confidentiality (dementia would be the most likely reason in my experience).
    I was in A&E a few years ago and heard the old boy in the next cubicle telling his doctor that he was having a lot of trouble seeing... but that he had driven himself to the hospital. The doctor was a bit incredulous at this and told the guy that he must not drive any-more and that he - the doctor - would be informing the DVLA of this. Sad, but clearly the right position to take.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsy View Post
    It is very rare to come across an older driver with a mobile phone jammed to his or her ear, unlike the many younger drivers i see when i am out and about. Would of thought it would be better to have a go at the latter rather than older drivers.
    Agree with your sentiments but there are problem drivers at all ages. Youth speed, OAPs slowness. They do say speed kills, and I would add to that lack of patience combined with poor reactions and lack of anticipation contribute a great deal. Speed surveys in my locale identify the younger female drivers as the most likely offenders in any speed restricted area.

Craftsman
    As an earlier poster mentioned I would suspect that GPs are generally reluctant to make a definitive statement that would have a serious impact on an older person's independence. My mother continued to drive until her late 80's but she restricted herself to local travel within a five mile radius of her home and even then only went out when the roads were quiet. Being able to get to the shops made a huge difference to her quality of life and on quiet Scottish highland roads (no local buses or taxis) was not a great risk to the general public.

I suspect that the road traffic accident and insurance statistics tell the story of where the real risks lie. Old folk driving cars can certainly be annoying but I suspect that they are not actually as dangerous as other demographic groups.

The current informal assessment process allowed my mother an additional five accident free years of independence that a more formal government assessment would possibly have taken from her. I'm keen for these things to be regulated but only if done sensibly and in response to well documented real problems. Remember you'll all hopefully reach a decent age yourselves and might be glad of some light touch regulation.

regards
    grant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    Agree with your sentiments but there are problem drivers at all ages. Youth speed, OAPs slowness. They do say speed kills, and I would add to that lack of patience combined with poor reactions and lack of anticipation contribute a great deal. Speed surveys in my locale identify the younger female drivers as the most likely offenders in any speed restricted area.

No doubt while texting !

Many duffers about but few cause serious injury percentage wide and don't forget that there are still people about that have never taken a test - because they didn't have to back then.

My old chap was a liability before he got old.

:-)

B

Human nature dictates that it will be the case that whichever group the culprit of any accident belongs will be at the receiving end of threads like this.

For me I think the growing number of mobility scooters we see (and which had its own ireful thread on here a while ago) are in part because of older people giving up driving due to frailty and the costs involved.

Age of course is relative (no pun intended). Ranulph Fiennes is over 70. Is he not fit to drive?
    Last edited by Glamdring; 13th April 2015 at 16:15.

Bloody old people, driving within the speed limit,and being cautious when emerging from a junction.

I'm far more wary of drivers wearing hats.

Most older drivers don't exceed the speed limits because they have all the time in the world to get where they are going.
    If anything it is the impatient drivers that are the worst nightmare, as they take to many risks, completely oblivious to road conditions or any one else.

I've been on quite a few different forums over the years and this subject always crops up.

My opinion of this has kind of stayed the same.

You see good and bad in any age group of drivers on our roads, you see the Impetuousness of youth and you see the problems caused by slow reactions, uncertainty and reduced awareness in SOME elderly drivers. The problem is is that all people are different, some people are ok at 75 whilst others struggle at 60 so it's a very difficult subject. Imo there should be a compulsory eye and reaction test at 65 then every 3 years thereafter. I think to simply pigeon hole the elderly is wrong.
    I know at 43 my reactions and eyesight is no where near as good as it used to be, I certainly wouldn't have any issue with taking basic tests to ensure I'm safe for the road when I reach a certain age.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 13th April 2015 at 19:02.

I live in Colchester where an 87 year old driver had the police called after he hit a petrol pump, he failed an eye test and the police asked if would surrender his license while they passed the details to the DVLA. Unfortunately they had no legal power to stop him driving, three days later he was filmed mounting the curb I a busy town centre and killing a sixteen year old on her way to college.

Should all old people be banned from driving? I don't believe so but I do think we should ALL be forced to resist our driving test every xx years and a medical after a certain age.

There are people out there with driving licenses driving very powerful cars who have never taken a driving test.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-licence.html

Master
    As mentioned above, majority of older people do not see/have to see a GP about driving. It is a self declaration every 5 years I think over the age of 70 and if you say you are fit then in a way someone has to prove otherwise. I'm not a GP but am a doctor and do have to discuss driving with some people (mainly with regards to vision). It is the patient who has the responsibility to inform the DVLA of their fitness to drive. Clearly if I know that someone is driving when they legally shouldn't, I will inform them of the need to tell the DVLA and stop driving but unless I have significant evidence that they are/will be a danger to themselves or others then I would not be able to breach patient confidentiality to inform the DVLA without their permission. HGV is a different thing and most HGV drivers will have to have some form of medical certification.

Are older drivers poor drivers? Generally no, as these days there are thousands of "older" drivers and you only hear about a few. That said, there are quite a few unconfident ones which probably fits some of the examples above and that people have seen (e.g. doing 30 in a 50) which doesn't mean they are bad but could perhaps be called inconsiderate.

I would say young drivers are as bad (every day I go to work I see several drivers <30 on phones whilst driving) and I would also like to nominate those who don't (or don't appear to based on their driving) to have sat a UK driving test-some complete shockers where I live in London e.g. yesterday got called an "asshole" by an Eastern European registered white van driver for letting a person cross a road before I turned into it!

Blog Entries

Jim
    Pet peeve of mine.
    Was cut up by a geriatric in a Merc on the M6 earlier today. He was totally oblivious to the whole thing. Didn't even look in his mirrors once & failed to signal... Brain dead giffer !!!

z

Master
    When you see an elderly person get out of the driving seat of a car and struggle to walk a few paces, you start to wonder how quickly they can move their right foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal when there's a hazard ahead.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    Most older drivers don't exceed the speed limits because they have all the time in the world to get where they are going.
    If anything it is the impatient drivers that are the worst nightmare, as they take to many risks, completely oblivious to road conditions or any one else.
    That's not the point. Their situational awareness is lacking - regardless of speed. See above...

z

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    Agree I am 68 coming up to 69 ( I seem to remember something about that number) and as a retired person have no need anymore to drive like my butt is on fire I leave that to white van man and the younger drivers many of whom present a far greater threat.

BTW never understood somebody with a 60K car loaded with Bluetooth who needs to drive with a phone to his or around my way her the Chelsea tractor drivers ear?

Just seen
    "That's not the point. Their situational awareness is lacking - regardless of speed. See above"
    Cannot agree so many "young" drivers are far worse but would agree that a firmer medical test is reqd for the older driver and a brain scan for the young ones.
    Last edited by mart broad; 13th April 2015 at 19:25.

Master
    Blog Entries

Any GPs

Many thanks to each and all for what appears an emotive and strongly opined subject.

Are there any GPs out there willing to share what, if any, assessment they do/is required/is considered apt/direction they may get from the BMC (British Medical Council) or other body. In addition, are GPs restricted to those conditions listed by DVLA as prescriptive?

Maybe they can share if DVLA and the BMC liaise on what is an ever changing feature for road safety as the drive to reduce personal injury road crashes get ever more refined.

Jim

Craftsman
    Was rear ended by an 83 year old about 4 weeks ago. She was pretty clueless as to how it happened :(

Grand Master
    I do tend to find older drivers are the more likely to make me take evasive action when driving, such as in the supermarket carpark when pulling out without warning, or pulling out of junctions into traffic, but they do tend to be less dangerous situations, as i've got the time to take action, if that makes sense.

Personally old folk aren't the group that annoy me on the roads, the most dangerous ones i see with lack of ability and dangerous driving tends to always be pre 2004 people carriers, especially if it's an older s/t/y reg, i think every idiot in this area are issued one of these, usually in burgundy and they must think they're driving ferrari's the way they hair about the place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post

...the most dangerous ones i see with lack of ability and dangerous driving tends to always be pre 2004 people carriers, especially if it's an older s/t/y reg, i think every idiot in this area are issued one of these, usually in burgundy and they must think they're driving ferrari's the way they hair about the place.
    I've posted on these types before - they do seem to have an over optimistic sense of ...

a) their vehicle's performance
    b) their ability to control what they have

Liabilities - another road user to be given a wide berth...

z

I do a lot of driving around from client to client, and generally 'the doddery' are always in evidence; slowly crawling out of junctions in front of a bus, or creeping along at 20 with a great crowd of vehicles behind them. Its a big retirement area here, so its a daily hazard.
    However, I did a quick search of stories in the local paper, and the list of driving deaths, accidents and offences is staggering, across the whole demographic.

After being hit by a road sweeper, with my 9 year old in the back, about 3 years ago. I really do look closely at who's near me, especially if I'm carrying passengers, as I'm always concerned about whether some moron might do it again. I'm far from being a super skilled driver, but you see some terrible scary driving about. Its easy to put yourself in danger, especially if you've had a long shift and a tired, etc.

I did report an old dear a few years ago, who was literally all over the road, weaving about. The bobby said it may have been because she might have been on medication etc.

That's is another factor with older folk. I know youngsters of course do drive under the influence of drinks and illegal drugs, but as you get on, a lot, and I mean a lot, of people take a raft of medication,( I know this for a fact as its part of my patient assessment criteria) not all of which is free of side effects,and have a big list of negative effects on vision, balance, thought processes etc.

I am more worried by the number of morons that are passed as fit for driving; having the IQ of a goldfish, it seems, is no barrier.

Even the questions in the ‘written’ part of the test can be read to the illiterate.

My Dad didn't become a bad driver through age it happened after he had a stroke. His GP saw no reason for him to stop nor at first did my dad. Luckily he did realise he wasn't up to it mentally or physically after a while and without ever admitting it or having to be told, got rid of the car.

I do wonder if another person with the same issues he had would have made the same decision, certainly being told by your GP that you're good to go doesn't make stopping easier.

Had he stayed stroke free I suspect he'd have stayed on the road quite safely for years.

Master
    Blog Entries

Ability versus car performance

Let's add to this mix the bizarre situation we have in the UK whereby the age of assessment was set when a PERFORMANCE car was circa 100-125bhp and anything above that was for motor car racing.

Today, we have cars that are routinely circa 130-170bhp as the norm and NOT classified as performance cars. Performance cars are probably in the region of +300bhp - AND they are VERY common on today's roads and driven by all ages irrespective of ability or age.

It is a contention that such ROUTINE cars are far more capable that the ability of drivers from yesterday year and yet we have stuck ourselves in a time warp of their driving assessment......

So, we have far more capable cars with an ageing driving populace where a car is potentially 3 times the performance of yesteryears at a time when the current standard of assessment was set with no real change ever since.

thoughts??

jim

Master
    Another group to add to the list (for those that live in the South East in particular) is Addison Lee drivers-excluding any TZ members working for them of course ;)

Red lights, pedestrian crossings rights of way etc are no barrier to them. Now I appreciate that they have very tight timescales and have a job to do but that is no excuse for the constant use of phones, brazenly ignoring traffic laws, parking and turning where you want and cutting up all and sundry.

Minicab drivers in general are a bit suspect, generally deeming rules of the road optional, not sure whether this is because they can't drive or don't care how they do...

Apologies, nearly got hit by one running a red light at a pedestrian crossing this am so may have clouded my view

Let's add to this mix the bizarre situation we have in the UK whereby the age of assessment was set when a PERFORMANCE car was circa 100-125bhp and anything above that was for motor car racing.

Today, we have cars that are routinely circa 130-170bhp as the norm and NOT classified as performance cars. Performance cars are probably in the region of +300bhp - AND they are VERY common on today's roads and driven by all ages irrespective of ability or age.

It is a contention that such ROUTINE cars are far more capable that the ability of drivers from yesterday year and yet we have stuck ourselves in a time warp of their driving assessment......

So, we have far more capable cars with an ageing driving populace where a car is potentially 3 times the performance of yesteryears at a time when the current standard of assessment was set with no real change ever since.

thoughts??

jim
    Sounds like a good argument for all vehicles allowed on the roads being limited to 70mph.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Another group to add to the list (for those that live in the South East in particular) is Addison Lee drivers-excluding any TZ members working for them of course ;)
    A definite +1 for this

Master
    Not quite sure how age of assessment should be related to car performance. Whilst it is certainly true that cars are much more powerful and faster, they are also probably easier to drive. The 70+ year olds I assume this thread is generally referring to learnt to drive in the era of double declutching, never being sure whether the brakes would actually work and no cruise/parking sensors/cameras/auto lights and wipers etc. I think the main issues are that the roads are much more crowded and complex than they were 30+ years ago, that stamping on the wrong pedal etc has much more effect than when you had to double decluch to get the right gear first (!) and also the fact that older drivers are less likely to quickly learn how to use all the technology to control basic functions of the car (radio and AC) when driving.

The driving test should be harder in the first place & there should be mandatory full retests every 'x' amount of years as well as medical tests.

As an aside in 2006 my father was killed by a drug driver. My mother was seriously injured & needed 3 rounds of resuscitation as her heart kept stopping. She has lasting conditions as you might expect. They were pedestrians as the drivers car mounted the pavement at speed, hit them and sent them flying across 3 lanes of traffic in the centre of Leicester. My fathers injuries were so terrible it was 'better' he died - he never suffered.

The driver was a known habitual drug user who was registered disabled because of the damage he had done to himself with the needle. As he was registered disabled he was entitled to have a car 'no questions asked'. The car he was actually driving that day was a cortesy car as his was in for repair having crashed it the week before.

Much more regulation of the driver is required across the board and not a fixation on speed or thoughts as to any specific group of people's. Having said that giving druggies cars because they disabled themselves with their habit is fucking ridiculous. The driver lived in a large estate in Leicester so why not give him a fucking bus pass instead to protect the public.
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 13th April 2015 at 21:07.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Not quite sure how age of assessment should be related to car performance. Whilst it is certainly true that cars are much more powerful and faster, they are also probably easier to drive. The 70+ year olds I assume this thread is generally referring to learnt to drive in the era of double declutching, never being sure whether the brakes would actually work and no cruise/parking sensors/cameras/auto lights and wipers etc. I think the main issues are that the roads are much more crowded and complex than they were 30+ years ago, that stamping on the wrong pedal etc has much more effect than when you had to double decluch to get the right gear first (!) and also the fact that older drivers are less likely to quickly learn how to use all the technology to control basic functions of the car (radio and AC) when driving.
    How bloody condescending

Double declutching went out just after the War. Number II that is. Even amongst the venerable ages of TZ-UK members few have ever done that. Not even Eddie, I suspect.

Master

Talking

Oops, shows my (lack of) age, I thought it was the '50's or early 60's when reliable syncromesh gearboxes appeared! Mind you some of the drivers mentioned above (aged 83 and 87) would have learnt during or just after the war I guess so i was partially right
    Last edited by mmgg1988; 13th April 2015 at 22:38.

Master
    I dd in the Sprite.

I have long felt we should all be retested every 5 years. Alongside this there would need to be heavy penalties for driving without a licence.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    A definite +1 for this
    And another on the shower that is Addison Lee.

Their boss set the tone some years ago by saying he'd ignore the law on lanes during the Olympics. Now, I think his opposition to the Olympic Lanes was fine - you can take the politicians to task on that, but to then basically say he'd break the law as it didn't suit him tells you a lot about their culture. The drivers seem to live by the same values - the rules are for everyone else. Watch out for them on the pedestrian crossings at Heathrow, they're bullies (from the safety of their cars).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    As an aside in 2006 my father was killed by a drug driver. My mother was seriously injured & needed 3 rounds of resuscitation as her heart kept stopping. She has lasting conditions as you might expect. They were pedestrians as the drivers car mounted the pavement at speed, hit them and sent them flying across 3 lanes of traffic in the centre of Leicester. My fathers injuries were so terrible it was 'better' he died - he never suffered.

The driver was a known habitual drug user who was registered disabled because of the damage he had done to himself with the needle. As he was registered disabled he was entitled to have a car 'no questions asked'. The car he was actually driving that day was a cortesy car as his was in for repair having crashed it the week before.
    How dreadful. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Having said that giving druggies cars because they disabled themselves with their habit is fucking ridiculous. The driver lived in a large estate in Leicester so why not give him a fucking bus pass instead to protect the public.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    Was rear ended by an 83 year old about 4 weeks ago. She was pretty clueless as to how it happened :(
    Several years ago I was rear ended by a 20+ young lady. She was pretty clueless as to how it happened.

What age is considered old?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    I do a lot of driving around from client to client, and generally 'the doddery' are always in evidence; slowly crawling out of junctions in front of a bus, or creeping along at 20 with a great crowd of vehicles behind them. Its a big retirement area here, so its a daily hazard.
    However, I did a quick search of stories in the local paper, and the list of driving deaths, accidents and offences is staggering, across the whole demographic.

After being hit by a road sweeper, with my 9 year old in the back, about 3 years ago. I really do look closely at who's near me, especially if I'm carrying passengers, as I'm always concerned about whether some moron might do it again. I'm far from being a super skilled driver, but you see some terrible scary driving about. Its easy to put yourself in danger, especially if you've had a long shift and a tired, etc.

I did report an old dear a few years ago, who was literally all over the road, weaving about. The bobby said it may have been because she might have been on medication etc.

That's is another factor with older folk. I know youngsters of course do drive under the influence of drinks and illegal drugs, but as you get on, a lot, and I mean a lot, of people take a raft of medication,( I know this for a fact as its part of my patient assessment criteria) not all of which is free of side effects,and have a big list of negative effects on vision, balance, thought processes etc.
    I also live in an area where there are a hogh proportion of elderley (i.e. over 80's) drivers. Just learned to be more careful and watchful when driving and fit a dashcam just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Several years ago I was rear ended by a 20+ young lady. She was pretty clueless as to how it happened.

What age is considered old?
    A few years ago I was taken roughly from behind by a girl who was 19, but who looked about 12. While we were stood around waiting for the police to come and clear the major intersection we were blocking she casually said to me "I hate this part, don't you?".

She had been driving for 18 months, it was the fourth "accident" she had caused and she was on her third car - a newish VW Bug. How she could afford the insurance I have no idea...

As said before GPs are not required for renewing licences unless the person has a declared problem (to the DVLA) or they are examining them for HGV or PSV licence. However doctors do have a duty to inform the DVLA if they know a patient has a problem which will put people's lives in danger while driving. The patient is given the chance to report it themselves first. There is a number the Dr can ring to get advice from the DVLA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    How she could afford the insurance I have no idea...
    Isn't that what mummy and daddy are for?