closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What have we become?

What have we become?

I was stood in our local petrol station earlier today waiting to pay for fuel when the young chap in front of me asked for some fags (cigarettes if there's any Americans amongst us) and asked what were the cheapest. The cashier advised him that he was unable to give him any advise on prices, the lads says ok can you open the display so I can see the prices then....umm well no says the cashier, I can't do that either because you need to tell me what you want then I can open the display and take them out which means they will be on display for the minimal amount of time. The lad then says that he wanted to see the prices.
    Oh that's ok says the cashier as I can show you a price list, he hands him the price list but then tells him that when he's finished with it it had to be placed face down! Why do I have to do that says the lad, well it's because that any person/child behind can't see what cigarettes we stock.
    He then made his selection and the price list was jammed down behind the counter out of site.

Eventually I was served but tongue in cheek asked if he could advise me on the cheapest fuel he had. He didn't quite get my sense of humour at first and looked a bit confused but eventually the penny dropped.

I wouldn't of believed it if I hadn't had seen it with my own eyes

FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 12th April 2015 at 20:34. Reason: Written incorrectly

Master
    Similar situation with me and the wife at our local tesco a few years ago.
    It was one of the modern builds with a glass front, and I was out front with my little girl on one of those £1 rides, well, I wasn't on it, my daughter was. Anyway, the wife was being served at a till directly inside from where I was and I could see her pointing to me (I should add at this point my wife was about 28 at this time and we were buying a bottle of Smirnoff Blue for my father)
    Next thing she's beckoning me into the shop. I know what's happened because my wife looks a lot younger than her years. When I get to the till, the woman serving explained to me that because my wife looked younger than 25 and that she didn't have ID, she couldn't serve her. I said 'it's ok, she's 28, I'm 41, but its for my dad anyway who is 64' to which the woman on the till responded, 'you don't understand, because you were not with her, I can't serve you now either' I stood there incredulous. She had to call a supervisor over to ok the sale.
    There's taking precautions and then there is just plain silliness.

It is a bit typical of this country now, unfortunately.

We all know cigarettes are bad for us, and I realise the government is trying to help us to help ourselves by making it more difficult to buy tobacco. However, there is a conflict of interests as tobacco is heavily taxed and therefore an earner for HMG..

There's also the small issue of freedom of choice.. tobacco is legal to sell, so why these restrictions? Because no government would have the balls to ban its sale outright. I also think the ban on smoking in pubs was wrong, the landlord should be free to choose whether to allow smoking or not. I would choose smoke free now but others might not.

Me? I'm an ex smoker, 10 years last month actually, and in retrospect giving up was one of the better things I've done health-wise. But I used to enjoy smoking, did for 20-odd years, no laws were broken and nobody got hurt other than me, maybe. This nanny state/H&S crap does get on my tits..

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    This is why the world is the way it is.

Master
    I've heard lots of daft stories about being sold (or not) alcohol. Apparently they won't serve you if you have an under 18 with you, you might force feed them apparently, and even the mention of a child in your group can result in refusal. The supermarkets also put the onus on the cashiers and its their job on the line apparently. Bloody ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    I've heard lots of daft stories about being sold (or not) alcohol. Apparently they won't serve you if you have an under 18 with you, you might force feed them apparently, and even the mention of a child in your group can result in refusal. The supermarkets also put the onus on the cashiers and its their job on the line apparently. Bloody ridiculous.
    David, my post was about the fuel station at the bottom of Kings Hill........madness!!

I'm anti smoking and smokers do my head in
    BUT that's just madness bloody thick people bring guided by thicker people

Master
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough, I'm in a Park Resort place at the minute and the on site LONDIS has a shutter over the fags. First time I've seen this. Is it new policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Funnily enough, I'm in a Park Resort place at the minute and the on site LONDIS has a shutter over the fags. First time I've seen this. Is it new policy?
    No it's been like that for a while, well atleast down here it is however, I didn't realise there was even more stupid ruling behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    No it's been like that for a while, well atleast down here it is however, I didn't realise there was even more stupid ruling behind it.
    Only a week for smaller stores, apparently:

From 6 April 2012, new laws came into force affecting large shops (stores that are big enough to be restricted to only six hours trading on a Sunday) selling tobacco products. All other shops and businesses selling tobacco products will be affected from 6 April 2015.

Detailed guidance (pdf), includes:

You can open the unit in response to a request from an adult even if they are accompanied
    by a child.

A product catalogue may be kept at each point of sale, but must not be displayed unless requested
    by a person over 18.

Its staggering to think there are people in power who think such rules will make a difference. As a child I was sent to the corner shop almost daily for fags from the age of 6 or 7. I could have told you all the brands and prices! I have never even tasted a smoke, hate the habit with a passion. According to the creators of these silly rules I should be a 60 a day smoker, or dead by now!

As nonsensical as the scottish law that stops sales of alcohol before 10am. Yep, that'll make a difference.

Master
    Well I'm about to light a well crafted roll up using Drum additive free tobacco, Tuzla silver paper and a petrol Zippo. I will enjoy it immensely. It is my third of the day and it will go rather nicely with my glass of Laphroig. Screw 'em.

I was in Belgium the other night for a few beers after some bike racing.

I forgot how disgusting your clothes smell the morning after a night in the pub with smokers.

The more we can do to discourage smoking the better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Only a week for smaller stores, apparently:

From 6 April 2012, new laws came into force affecting large shops (stores that are big enough to be restricted to only six hours trading on a Sunday) selling tobacco products. All other shops and businesses selling tobacco products will be affected from 6 April 2015.

Detailed guidance (pdf), includes:

You can open the unit in response to a request from an adult even if they are accompanied
    by a child.

A product catalogue may be kept at each point of sale, but must not be displayed unless requested
    by a person over 18.
    Well judging by the bottom bit they need to read their regs again then.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I was in Belgium the other night for a few beers after some bike racing.

I forgot how disgusting your clothes smell the morning after a night in the pub with smokers.

The more we can do to discourage smoking the better as far as I'm concerned.
    And I agree, but not giving somebody the price of them when clearly they're already a smoker is taking it a little too far surely. Is somebody going to instantly think whilst listen to some prices being given "my those fags are really cheap, I think I'm going to take up smoking.?

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Its staggering to think there are people in power who think such rules will make a difference. As a child I was sent to the corner shop almost daily for fags from the age of 6 or 7. I could have told you all the brands and prices! I have never even tasted a smoke, hate the habit with a passion. According to the creators of these silly rules I should be a 60 a day smoker, or dead by now!

As nonsensical as the scottish law that stops sales of alcohol before 10am. Yep, that'll make a difference.
    In Blackpool this morning I saw any number of Scottish people wandering around the coach park with beer bottles... very much prior to 10!

I guess to Scottish people Blackpool must be exotic ;)

I bought some tobacco for a friend from Sainsbury's a few months back, I knew it was in a yellow package but couldn't remember what it was called (and he was in a car driving to meet up with me). They wouldn't show me what was behind the shutters so I guessed, and when they opened the shutters to get the tobacco (as it turned out, the wrong one), pointed to the one I could then see. The idiot woman behind the counter wasn't happy with me and told me she could have lost her job by letting me see the tobacco. Surreal.

The world has sucessfully ensured the majority of its population act and think like sheep. Very scary times ahead!

Craftsman
    So why don't they hide the alcohol , Surely equally dangerous ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    So why don't they hide the alcohol , Surely equally dangerous ?
    Not really. Innocent people can get lung cancer from sitting next to a smoker. Unless the drunk next to you attacks you, you are fairly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Not really. Innocent people can get lung cancer from sitting next to a smoker. Unless the drunk next to you attacks you, you are fairly safe.
    Drunk driving? There's many an innocent person in this country been mowed down by a drunk driver.

Don't give them any more ideas....

May aswell hide all the bars of chocolate whilst they're at it. Sugar linked to cancer, Diabetes and other associated diseases making it the worlds No1 killer.

Master
    Drunk driving? There's many an innocent person in this country been mowed down by a drunk driver.
    Fair point. I was thinking of how it used to be with smoking in pubs and restaurants.

I love the fact smoking is banned in public places - would hate it to return to how it used to be.

However having experienced a poor guy trying to buy a packet of fags from a garage forecourt the other day I was amazed that we have indeed come to this.

His English was broken, the woman behind the counter acted as if she was guarding state secrets not Tobacoo for sale and the whole affair went on for far too long and I still don't think he got the ciggies he wanted

Ludicrous

c. 300 people die every year in the UK from drunk driving.
    Tobacco smoking is responsible for c. 43,000 cancer deaths.

FWIW banning smoking in public places is an excellent move but I think the retail regulation is absurd: if you want to pay to kill yourself in the privacy of your own home, you should be allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    c. 300 people die every year in the UK from drunk driving.
    Tobacco smoking is responsible for c. 43,000 cancer deaths.

FWIW banning smoking in public places is an excellent move but I think the retail regulation is absurd: if you want to pay to kill yourself in the privacy of your own home, you should be allowed to.
    It wasn't about numbers it was in reply to Jaytip,

But if we were to talk numbers, how about the expense of policing drunks every Friday/Saturday night up and down the land. The added expense on the NHS and Ambulance services through booze related admissions, the added expense to the NHS through binge drinker and booze related illness?

Those 300 drink driving deaths are clearly caused by drink driving- out of the 43000 smoking related deaths how many are caused or can be proved to be caused by passive smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    In Blackpool this morning I saw any number of Scottish people wandering around the coach park with beer bottles... very much prior to 10!

I guess to Scottish people Blackpool must be exotic ;)
    Yeah is all relevant Some beautiful places and some of the best countryside anywhere is in Scotland, but plenty of places you would like to be as far from as possible too.A beer before 10 even now makes me feel a bit queasy

Journeyman
    Even the Kabin in corry has the fags covered up now i notice

Master
    Only semi-related but when I was struck down with a bout of the old Man-Flu this year I went and stocked up on painkillers etc.

I had a bottle of cheap paracetamol, a pack of Ibuprofen and a box of Lemsip sachets to see me through the week, but the counter gimp told me I was only allowed to buy 2 of the 3.

Christ knows if he was just winding me up, but I had to do the walk of shame to put the Lemsip back. It must have looked like a real party selection...

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Only semi-related but when I was struck down with a bout of the old Man-Flu this year I went and stocked up on painkillers etc.

I had a bottle of cheap paracetamol, a pack of Ibuprofen and a box of Lemsip sachets to see me through the week, but the counter gimp told me I was only allowed to buy 2 of the 3.

Christ knows if he was just winding me up, but I had to do the walk of shame to put the Lemsip back. It must have looked like a real party selection...
    Shouldn't be any issue with purchasing ibuprofen with paracetamol OR lemsip, but paracetomol AND lemsip might well put you over the limit of what you are allowed to purchase... paracetomol is limited these days because an overdose of it is unlikely to kill you but is damn expensive to treat.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you buying one pack, then another, then another...

Shouldn't be any issue with purchasing ibuprofen with paracetamol OR lemsip, but paracetomol AND lemsip might well put you over the limit of what you are allowed to purchase... paracetomol is limited these days because an overdose of it is unlikely to kill you but is damn expensive to treat.

Of course, there is nothing to stop you buying one pack, then another, then another...
    I always laugh to myself when you have to buy safety razer blade's from behind a till. Your hardly going to stab the assistant with a bic razor and then slash your own wrists are you.....or are you if you can't see the price of the Tabs?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I always laugh to myself when you have to buy safety razer blade's from behind a till. Your hardly going to stab the assistant with a bic razor and then slash your own wrists are you.....or are you if you can't see the price of the Tabs?
    That's not why they are behind the till. It's because it's a (relatively) high value small item that can be easily stolen due to its size.

I think the razor-blade / safety razor positioning is actually more to do with how often they are shop-lifted... I read recently that men's razors are the most commonly stolen item in the western world, and of those Gillette is the most commonly stolen brand.

Gillette is the most commonly stolen brand.
    i always thought it was Gillette doing the stealing given the price of the bloody things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    i always thought it was Gillette doing the stealing given the price of the bloody things.
    And that'll be why ;)

I think the razor-blade / safety razor positioning is actually more to do with how often they are shop-lifted... I read recently that men's razors are the most commonly stolen item in the western world, and of those Gillette is the most commonly stolen brand.
    You learn something everyday on TZ!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    It is a bit typical of this country now, unfortunately.

We all know cigarettes are bad for us, and I realise the government is trying to help us to help ourselves by making it more difficult to buy tobacco. However, there is a conflict of interests as tobacco is heavily taxed and therefore an earner for HMG..

There's also the small issue of freedom of choice.. tobacco is legal to sell, so why these restrictions? Because no government would have the balls to ban its sale outright. I also think the ban on smoking in pubs was wrong, the landlord should be free to choose whether to allow smoking or not. I would choose smoke free now but others might not.

Me? I'm an ex smoker, 10 years last month actually, and in retrospect giving up was one of the better things I've done health-wise. But I used to enjoy smoking, did for 20-odd years, no laws were broken and nobody got hurt other than me, maybe. This nanny state/H&S crap does get on my tits..

Cheers,

Plug

Agree. Quit smoking 3 yrs ago, haven't looked back. Out of curiosity asked my local nisa the price of a pack marlboro gold/lights, nearly doubled in price. Glad I quit, if not for the sake of my health just for the sake of the money. (average 4 X 365 =1460!!)

You learn something everyday on TZ!
    Every day's a a school day ;)

apparently very popular with the smackheads/ petty crims . A pack of 8 blades that can retail at near enough twenty quid can be nicked and sold down the local pub for a tenner.

I ran a bar in the mid 90's and was amazed the stuff that people would nick and try to flog on from stores