closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How do I get a grand seiko?

Journeyman

How do I get a grand seiko?

Hey all,

This is my first thread, but here it goes:

I'm looking for a Grand Seiko for a decent price.

I don't earn a lot, but I massively enjoy watches, and I have a Panerai (gift) and an Omega speedmaster pro, my own purchase. Studying part time, too.

Any GS with an interesting case shape and polishing would do it for me, really, but I just have no clue how to get one! The prices here in the UK vary from £1500 for a second hand mechanical one, to £5000 for a brand new one!

If anyone has any experience, please advise me!

Last edited by medicat; 12th April 2015 at 17:47.

I would say keep watching Sales Corner as they appear on their sometimes. Also Chrono24 but if you import from say Japan you will have to pay charges. Sure others on here can point you in the right direction. Stunning classic looking watches, i will get one one day.
    Good luck with your search...

Master
    Use watch recon, theres always loads of Grand Seiko watches for sale on there, and usually at the great used US prices.

Also, even if you buy from abroad (USA, JAPAN) even after you have paid customs charges the price is still lower than the Uk retail prices.

Best person I have dealt with is a shop called TOKEIKAN on rakuten, he's a master shop dealer for GS in Japan, has great prices, but only speaks very simple broken english.

http://www.takekawa-t.com
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/tokeikan/

Master
    WTB forum

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Use watch recon, theres always loads of Grand Seiko watches for sale on there, and usually at the great used US prices.

Also, even if you buy from abroad (USA, JAPAN) even after you have paid customs charges the price is still lower than the Uk retail prices.

Best person I have dealt with is a shop called TOKEIKAN on rakuten, he's a master shop dealer for GS in Japan, has great prices, but only speaks very simple broken english.

http://www.takekawa-t.com
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/tokeikan/
    Thanks for the info. I've surfed rakuten.co.jp more than once, I must admit.

One of my close friends is Japanese, I'll get her to communicate with them.

I could probably convince somebody to bring one back for me in Japan, but then I won't have that shopping experience!

By the way, I don't have to pay import tax if buying from EU, correct? I just moved to the UK, so I'm not familiar with the policies
    Last edited by medicat; 12th April 2015 at 17:09.

Craftsman
    It's good to desire something that is harder to obtain. Will make the chase more satisfying. I would look on Chrono24 for GS watches that are already in Europe. Best of luck.

Master
    Which particular model are you after?

Journeyman
    Which particular model are you after?
    SBGH001 (hi-beat, white sunburst dial)
    SBGA011 (spring drive, snowflake dial)
    SBGJ001 (hi-beat, GMT, snowflake dial)
    SBGR083 (limited edition historical)
    SBGH037 (hi-beat, limited edition, 37mm) <- the dream is this!

Any similar one would be fantastic as well.

Also, I've never bought an expensive watch online, so I'm a little worried about scams.

Master
    All great models (and you appear to like the blued seconds hand).

I sold the SBGR083 a couple months back - and kind of regret it. So I've got the SBGH005 to replace that loss. The high beat seconds hand is wonderful but not as mesmerising as the smooth sweep of a spring drive.

The SBGR059 also shares similar characteristics to the models you like (titanium, 38mm, blue seconds, white/silver dial)

If you're happy with used theres about 4 of those models on watchrecon now

Journeyman
    All great models (and you appear to like the blued seconds hand).

I sold the SBGR083 a couple months back - and kind of regret it. So I've got the SBGH005 to replace that loss. The high beat seconds hand is wonderful but not as mesmerising as the smooth sweep of a spring drive.

The SBGR059 also shares similar characteristics to the models you like (titanium, 38mm, blue seconds, white/silver dial)

If you're happy with used theres about 4 of those models on watchrecon now
    Not a big fan of titanium, but I won't discount it until I've seen one in person - I need to go and hunt one down though.

Where did you buy the 005?

And yes, spring drive is incredible. I don't know how Seiko do it, Japanese ingenuity I guess.

Master
    Yeah titanium is a strange one, some like it, some don't. Even when people see and handle the Snowflake SBGA011 the light weight of it shocks them.

Got 005 from Japan from Tokeikan from the link above.

Master
    Does anyone know why Seiya won't export these to the UK?

Master
    I believe Seiko warned Seiya to stop doing it, as Seiko Uk and Seiko Europe were not happy about it. I don't think Seiya is an official AD of Grand Seiko

I think I've had five Grand Seikos. They've all come via Sales Corner here. Keep em peeled, put in a WTB and you'll be spoiled for choice........well sort of.

gs.

I can't fault Higuchi.

Master
    Even he's not offering UK/EU sales, due to pressure from Seiko.
    As the OP has a friend in Japan, it's best for her to get him one, with new or pre-owned from the many pawnshops.
    She could even have it sent to Seiko of a refurb of the case, if it was looking a bit worse for wear.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
    I think I've had five Grand Seikos. They've all come via Sales Corner here. Keep em peeled, put in a WTB and you'll be spoiled for choice........well sort of.

gs.
    I'll post a WTB when I actually have enough money!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Even he's not offering UK/EU sales, due to pressure from Seiko.
    As the OP has a friend in Japan, it's best for her to get him one, with new or pre-owned from the many pawnshops.
    She could even have it sent to Seiko of a refurb of the case, if it was looking a bit worse for wear.
    Why does Seiko deprive us so?

Yeah titanium is a strange one, some like it, some don't. Even when people see and handle the Snowflake SBGA011 the light weight of it shocks them.
    I've got an SBGA011 Snowflake, and the light weight is a surprise when you first handle it. But please do handle it and strap it on. I've got a lot of Seiko's, including SBGE001 and SBGA031 Spring Drives, but this is my favourite. The SBGA011 Snowflake is surely one of the best watches in the world.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I've got an SBGA011 Snowflake, and the light weight is a surprise when you first handle it. But please do handle it and strap it on. I've got a lot of Seiko's, including SBGE001 and SBGA031 Spring Drives, but this is my favourite. The SBGA011 Snowflake is surely one of the best watches in the world.
    Lucky man! I wish I had even one!

Does the titanium on this seiko scratch easily? Also, how does the polishing compare to that of steel pieces? I'm definitely a fan of steel, and seiko's wonderful polishing and brushing techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Can I ask where and how you got it Jim? There is talk of 'portals' and so on but I really don't understand!!

I don't want to pay Jura prices when it seems they can be got for almost half from Japan...

/or you could sell me yours...?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    or you could sell me yours...?
    Ha....good luck with that option – you'll be prising it from his dead, cold hands, me thinks!

Master
    The GS titanium looks extremely similar to steel. There is perhaps just a slightly more dull colour on the brushed parts but not much. In terms of polishing, theres polishing then theres Grand Seiko polishing!!! The polished bits look exactly like any other steel watch.

The titanium alloy that Seiko use is supposedly slightly harder than steel but not by any huge appreciable amount. In terms of scratching its pretty similar to any other watch, if you scratch them, you'll scratch this.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Ha....good luck with that option – you'll be prising it from his dead, cold hands, me thinks!
    How many "I'LL NEVER SELL IT" posts have you seen from me... only to find it's quietly out the door for something else within a few weeks? ;)

Master
    Indeed, but then Jim loves his SBGA011, and actually wears it. You on the other hand, acquire stuff that then sits in the box and rarely sees the light of day, only to sell on to fund the next BBD (bigger, better deal).

So you can't compare him to yourself – it's like chalk and cheese.

Journeyman
    I don't want to pay Jura prices when it seems they can be got for almost half from Japan...
    I can't even afford the half from japan! I'm gonna need half of that, even!

In a few years (hopefully) I'll qualify as a physician. Until then I may have to settle for a SARB/SARX...

Can I ask where and how you got it Jim? There is talk of 'portals' and so on but I really don't understand!!

/or you could sell me yours...?
    I agree with you about Jura prices...
    I bought my SBGA011 Snowflake about 18 months ago right here on SC!

And yes, I do wear it. I own a lot of Seiko's and this one is by far my favourite. I can't stop looking at it.

Apprentice
    I've used Katsu Higuchi for two GS purchases; a snowflake and the titanium diver. His prices are good, he's highly reliable and I would certainly recommend him

Journeyman
    +1 for using watch recon just discovered it for myself today quite useful

Journeyman
    When you purchase from Japan, and the seller ships using EMS, do you usually get charged for VAT?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by medicat View Post
    When you purchase from Japan, and the seller ships using EMS, do you usually get charged for VAT?
    Yes, every time.

Everything from Japan seems to get caught, no matter how it is sent. A combination of scrupulously honest CN22 forms and UK's Border Force paying close attention.

By the way, EMS is handled in the UK by Parcelforce so you'll be hit by their fee.