closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ikea beds - different grades of slats

Ikea beds - different grades of slats

I'm going to buy an Ikea bed. (This is definite so I don't need advice on buying the actual bed, thanks.)

The three types of different slats for a King Size bed range from £20 to £110.

Anyone know (from experience) if the extra is worth it?

I'm thinking of buying a Tempur mattress at some point in the future so I don't want to scrimp if it's going to affect its level of comfort and performance.

We have the bog standard slats, no problems at all. Depends on your mattress I suppose?

Craftsman
    This from Hypnos should help...
    Q: Can I put any Hypnos mattress onto a slatted bedstead?

A: All of our mattresses are compatible with a NEW slatted bedstead; you must however ensure that the slats on the bedstead are no more than 3.0” (7.5cm) apart and that there is a central support rail on ‘Double’ sizes (135 x 190cm, approx. 4’6 x 6’3) or over. Generally slatted bedsteads will give a mattress a firmer feel, it is therefore important when you are trying Hypnos mattresses to check what style base the mattress is sitting on, bearing in mind that a mattress displayed on a sprung divan base will feel firmer when it is placed onto solid slats.

Where a bedstead with a slat support system is being used, ensure that the slats are not more than 3 inches (approx 7.5cm) apart. If a wider gap exists between the slats, it is recommended that a ‘bedstead mattress base’ be used between the bedstead and mattress. Failure to take such action may result in accelerated wear on the mattress and even damage to the pocket spring unit. If you find the sprung divan base more comfortable but do not want to get rid of your bed frame then Hypnos manufacture a product called a bed base, which sits directly onto the side rails and replaces the slats, with the mattress then on top of the bed base. A bed base can be used on a slatted or non-slatted bed frame, and will allow you to achieve the comfort of a full divan base but keep the visual impact of a bed frame - please contact your local retailer for further details.

Tempur have told me they have no problem with slatted bases.

It's just that the price difference in slats is such a large percentage of the price of the bed if you get the pricier ones I'm wondering what the advantage is. Ikea don't seem very forthcoming with a justification for the extra expense.

Having said that, if there's even a small advantage it's a small price to pay if you're shelling out two grand for a mattress.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    every bed I have ever had I have binned the slats and screwed down some planks from Wickes, they give the bed extra rigidity, and don't crack when Bedroom Gymnastics get a little heavy.