closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your dream watch?

Journeyman

What's your dream watch?

So here's the game, a very wealthy relative of yours has just passed and left you a blank cheque for whatever amount you can possibly think of. Here's the catch his requirement is that you have to buy one watch and only one. You can choose any watch in the whole wide world. You can never sell the watch either.

I'll get things started off with my dream watch I've had many ultimate grails but lately I've been leaning towards this the Mechaniques Gravees 14 day tourbillon

Time for me to roll out my standard gag when this question comes up...

Harrison's Lesser Watch H6:

it hasn't been made yet. in the fantasy world of blank cheques i would be heading to either a mainstream manufacturer or one of the independents to sit and decide exactly what i wanted. it would be a seriously complicated piece of kit and would be constructed using only the finest unobtanium and vererarium.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    it hasn't been made yet. in the fantasy world of blank cheques i would be heading to either a mainstream manufacturer or one of the independents to sit and decide exactly what i wanted. it would be a seriously complicated piece of kit and would be constructed using only the finest unobtanium and vererarium.
    As wonderful as a custom made timepiece sounds with all the complications and features I would need it would take decades to make. The PP grand complication took several years to make.

Quote Originally Posted by jeg5263 View Post
    As wonderful as a custom made timepiece sounds with all the complications and features I would need it would take decades to make. The PP grand complication took several years to make.
    black cheque mate, you could have teams if international watch making superstars on it. Speake-marin on the movement, PP on the case design, Japanese ninjas polishing it, the cuban ladies volley ball team on the strap work or just in leather (maybe that's not for this thread!), NASA on the dial, Cuervoy Sobrinos making the Humidor case....

i need to stop now, i have realised just how poor i am and how far my dreams are from me

Craftsman
    Universal Geneve tricompax with moon phases

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    black cheque mate, you could have teams if international watch making superstars on it. Speake-marin on the movement, PP on the case design, Japanese ninjas polishing it, the cuban ladies volley ball team on the strap work or just in leather (maybe that's not for this thread!), NASA on the dial, Cuervoy Sobrinos making the Humidor case....

i need to stop now, i have realised just how poor i am and how far my dreams are from me
    It doesn't hurt to dream does it? Haha

Got to be a PAM513 for me
    Expensive, but not too expensive to wear in my opinion
    A

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyc319 View Post
    Got to be a PAM513 for me
    Expensive, but not too expensive to wear in my opinion
    A
    The 513 is indeed very nice. Could be worn to any occasion in my book as well which is a plus.

My dream watch is one I can live in with a multi car garage and a helipad. It'd also be very water resistant so I could spend time at the bottom of the sea.
    Gray

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    My dream watch is one I can live in with a multi car garage and a helipad. It'd also be very water resistant so I could spend time at the bottom of the sea.
    Don't know how water resistant it is but surely you could have the helipad and multi car garage

Craftsman
    My fantasy watch is a Greubel Forsey quadruple tourbillon, an incredible feat of engineering and the finish is meant to be incredible. I would also like a high end F.P Journe maybe a sonnerie souverain and to finish off with a more everyday watch a Lange and Sohne datagraph .

Blog Entries
    It's not an unreasonable watch forum question?

It's a fantasy at the moment as I don't have £4k going spare...

Not my usual tastes, but, I keep looking at them!

Lange Double Split. Thank you.

A non sterile SBIII (I know it's coming but I'd add the Speedbird emblem below the hands.

A Timefactors Snowflake, in the correct blue. Was it brave of Tudor to have chosen the hue they have or a cop out ?

Master
    Mine would be a custom build, probably starting discussions with Swatch group - in particular Omega. Why Omega? Because the movement requires a feature on which, I understand, they have the patent.

It has to be a chronograph, with centre-minute chrono hand - i.e. the Lemania 5100 type. They will modify this movement, which they still use, in modified form, in the Breguet XXI, to incorporate a 24-hour hand, with the permanent 12-hour hand, rather than the 24 hour hand, being quickset, as used in the Omega GMT Chronos, the Omega SMP GMT and the Rolex GMT II. The movement will be automatic, but very accurate.

There will be a turnable 24-hour bezel, possibly incorporating some sort of 60 minute scale, but in any case it will be barely thicker than the bezel on a Speedy Pro. The bezel will be a simple silver on black, and the case - which will be low profile and no more than 14mm thick - will use the pusher design found in the Seamaster Chrono, which allows for safe operation of the pushers underwater. The case will be based on a Speedmaster "Grail" 376.0822, but with decent WR, and the acrylic crystal from that watch, for aesthetics. The case material will be tegimented titanium, for lightness and scuff resistance, so Sinn will probably have to be involved in the project.

In fact, given the apparently limitless funds I have available to build this, I think I'll use them to buy Omega - the company, not the watch, then have build this watch for me, and put it into production - allowing me to have just the one watch for myself, but to enjoy the financial proceeds of all their other models, as well....

Blog Entries
    Either one of these...

A Credor Minute Repeater GBLS998

...or one of these...

Montblanc Metamorphosis

An all original 5513 for me. I'm a man of simple taste.

In the unlikely event of one of my relatives being wealthy and the even more unlikely event of them leaving me a chunk of money on their will I would dash off to the local Rolex AD and order me a Daytona TT.

the Vacheron is magnificent but I don't need tourbillons or repeaters

Just a simple top notch chrono from a top manufacture ; like this www.https://patek5070.wordpress.com. Thats all I ask for :-)

Quit simple.
    A 39 mm case with big dial aperture.
    Simple dial, 3-6-9-12 or something like an aviator dial, but painted (no applied index if possible), with a good lum
    Screwed crown.
    No date.
    Sapphire domed glass.
    Full metal bottom case.
    Lug-to-lug not more than 48-49 mm
    WR at least 100m

Simple but doesn't exist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    An all original 5513 for me. I'm a man of simple taste.
    That's a realistic target, but to up the ante I would go for this. It's a dream thread after all. Milsub 5517 W10.

http://www.thetimetraveler.co/img/ge...47878_1_t5.jpg

I have handled a fair few $200k and upwards watches (I photograph them for a living) from well known Swiss manufactures but my choice is not one them but a Laurent Ferrier Galet square. Don't know which one but I would visit the manufacture and pick the one I liked the most. (Probably with a sunbirst dial)

My reason being is looks, I love the cushion case style and I think LF have the best execution of that style, that and the simplicity of the dial.

For Q1 2016 my dream watch is a maxi dial 5513.

A.Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk Minute Repeater would be my choice.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArPFlmHXCTU

Mike

I don't dream of watches... do I need to hand my membership card in at the door?

I'd quite like a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms, but that's as far as my horological fantasies stretch.

Complexity for its own sake doesn't appeal to me, even if I can admire the skill involved.

M.

at the moment an AP ROO bumble bee, but that will probaly change in a heartbeat

Right about now its a vintage rolex gmt 1675 gilt dial iv been dreaming about her......

Can I have this but leave out the cut off numerals - would it be wrong to ask for England instead of Great Britian?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post

Can I have this but leave out the cut off numerals - would it be wrong to ask for England instead of Great Britian?
    Wow that's a stunning watch. I'd keep the Great Britain but remove the capitals from the GREAT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I have handled a fair few $200k and upwards watches (I photograph them for a living) from well known Swiss manufactures but my choice is not one them but a Laurent Ferrier Galet square. Don't know which one but I would visit the manufacture and pick the one I liked the most. (Probably with a sunbirst dial)

My reason being is looks, I love the cushion case style and I think LF have the best execution of that style, that and the simplicity of the dial.
    Crikey yes.
    I see what you mean.
    The case, the dial and that movement is stunning.
    Good call.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Wow that's a stunning watch. I'd keep the Great Britain but remove the capitals from the GREAT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree

Interesting as having seen the LF Galet Square in William & Son I found it to be somewhat naievely proportioned and not at the same level as a Moser or high level Credor. Different strokes for different folks of course.

My dream watch would be a custom commission from Grand Seiko if such a thing existed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    A Rouchefoucauld World Complication for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronoss View Post
    Quit simple.
    A 39 mm case with big dial aperture.
    Simple dial, 3-6-9-12 or something like an aviator dial, but painted (no applied index if possible), with a good lum
    Screwed crown.
    No date.
    Sapphire domed glass.
    Full metal bottom case.
    Lug-to-lug not more than 48-49 mm
    WR at least 100m

Simple but doesn't exist.
    They got close though in Sheffield:

Quit simple. A 39 mm case with big dial aperture. Simple dial, 3-6-9-12 or something like an aviator dial, but painted (no applied index if possible), with a good lum Screwed crown. No date. Sapphire domed glass. Full metal bottom case. Lug-to-lug not more than 48-49 mm WR at least 100m Simple but doesn't exist.
    Railmaster 39mm? Sapphire case back but otherwise ticks all the boxes.

Banned
    This wonderful PP 5096 Calatrava

Mine would be the Heuer Autavia from The Exorcist:

http://watchesinmovies.info/?s=exorcist

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Absolutely stunning in blue....id take one of those

Master
    De Bethune DB16 Tourbillon Regulator

Master
    So many watches I want but this would be near the top of the list

Banned
    The same watch I usually wear.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    A Rouchefoucauld World Complication for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Mine would be the Heuer Autavia from The Exorcist:

http://watchesinmovies.info/?s=exorcist
    Ah yes. I don't just want a watch from a movie, I want to create the watch that never existed from the movie...

I would setup Rouchefoucauld Horologorie, commission a real watchmaker to design and build.
    Of course it has to tell the time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

It would be limited to 3 copies; one for me, one for Dan Akroyd (Louis) given over lunch at the heritage club and one to be auctioned for a charity of his choice.

This would hopefully generate loads of web/blog coverage, so the great unwashed can lust after it; part of being a dream watch is that it's also a dream watch for others :)

Craftsman
    Ah yes. I don't just want a watch from a movie, I want to create the watch that never existed from the movie...

I would setup Rouchefoucauld Horologorie, commission a real watchmaker to design and build.
    Of course it has to tell the time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

It would be limited to 3 copies; one for me, one for Dan Akroyd (Louis) given over lunch at the heritage club and one to be auctioned for a charity of his choice.

This would hopefully generate loads of web/blog coverage, so the great unwashed can lust after it; part of being a dream watch is that it's also a dream watch for others :)
    Close the thread; you win.

Regards,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adg31 View Post
    They got close though in Sheffield:
    Speedbird I? The III has now the date. But I'm considering it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    Railmaster 39mm? Sapphire case back but otherwise ticks all the boxes.
    Omega Railmaster hu? In fact I didn't knew this one. Thanks mate.

Not sure how the simultaneous time display works...

(pic by/from Hodinkee.com)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Not sure how the simultaneous time display works

(pic by/from Hodinkee.com)
    I'll let you know what my watchmaker comes up with :)
    Don't like what hodinkee came up with, was thinking more of say PP 5131 as a starting point

Journeyman
    I've always fancied the Patek Aquanaut, so there's that. I really like how light and unassuming it looks. I have a very small wrist, so regardless of the price the watch should be quite small. Maybe the new Vacheron Constantin Overseas ultra-thin would fit as well.

I've always liked the look of many Cartier models and JLC Reversos, but I don't think I'd like a watch that's meant to be on a leather strap. Tried that many times with my Grand Seiko and Speedmaster, but after a couple of days I always change back to steel. That leaves out most finer watches, I'm afraid.

Omega Railmaster hu? In fact I didn't knew this one. Thanks mate.
    After thinking, I hate you. This watch is not in my price range but I can't stop thinking about.