closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD wanted to keep warranty card for 6 months After purchase

Craftsman

Rolex AD wanted to keep warranty card for 6 months After purchase

Today was walking past my local Roles AD and noticed the new deepsea in the window,was a bit curious so called into have a look,after having a look and trying it on i was quite taken with it,thats when i was told by the sales lady (sorry not sure of her correct title) that if i wanted to buy the watch i could but the warranty card will have to stay with them for 6 moths,because it is a really sought after model, and that also applies to the submariners like the one i was wearing at the time,well i must say i had never heard any thing like this before ,when i asked if that was Rolex,s policy or the shops she didn't want to say to much,has any one else ever had this happen or herd of the same thing with other dealers.

cheers
    Tony

Am i missing something here? What difference does it matter if its sought after or not, either way the warranty goes with the person who bought it? What good is it to them?

Absolute rubbish - if you buy the watch, it's yours!

Ask to speak to an adult. Or better still, get one from Heywood Milton who will do you a way better deal!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Am i missing something here? What difference does it matter if its sought after or not, either way the warranty goes with the person who bought it? What good is it to them?
    Agreed,i was told it is incase i sell it on,my comment was,thats my business not theres to which i was told rolex don't like it when that happens.

Master
    What BS. It's really getting ridiculous now and I don't blame the ADs. This is Rolex clamping down on discounts etc and the ADs are terrified of losing their concession over nothing.

Master
    That is outrageous!

I absolutely would not buy a watch under those circumstances!

Sorry but you either give me the warranty card or you lose the sale??? And once i buy it i can do what i like...
    If its true about Rolex sounds like a bit of bullying to their AD's to me...

Master
    LOL absolute B*.

However in Japan, if you buy a rolex, you dont get the warranty card immediately. It gets posted to you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Sorry but you either give me the warranty card or you lose the sale??? And once i buy it i can do what i like...
    If its true about Rolex sounds like a bit of bullying to their AD's to me...
    Personally i think its just the AD as at no time was i told its rolex policy,just that they do not like it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Personally i think its just the AD as at no time was i told its rolex policy,just that they do not like it
    Then they shouldnt discount (assuming they are) - name & shame

Grand Master
    Your Local AD being Mappin & Webb?
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Actually no its a new shop right next door to them

Hahaha brilliant.
    I hope Rolex find out about this. Idiots

Master
    You buy a watch but don't get all the bits! Ridiculous. There is a higher chance of them losing it in the shop!

Craftsman
    Never heard anything like it!?

As if anyone in the right mind would dream of walking away with the watch but leaving the warranty card behind.

Looking forward to hearing Haywood's response!

Grand Master
    Buy the watch, have them refuse to hand over the warranty card, then call the police, slag them in the press, and sue them. You could just poo in the letterbox, but this is a business that deserved to be run out of town. Assuming it's really what happened, can't you just provide the name so they can be reported to Trading Standards?
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

It's a brilliant idea. If I were a Rolex AD I'd be drip-feeding the accessories to the customer over a year - nothing for the first 6 months, just the watch on a sized bracelet, then warranty card after 6 months, one spare link per month, hang tag after 9 months. The customer would be required to visit the branch to collect these items and must be wearing the watch to qualify. The final visit would require the customer to attend a presentation from my mate who runs a time-share company before being eligible to receive the box and papers.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Buy the watch, have them refuse to hand over the warranty card, then call the police, slag them in the press, and sue them. You could just poo in the letterbox, but this is a business that deserved to be run out of town. Assuming it's really what happened, can't you just provide the name so they can be reported to Trading Standards?
    They don't have to include the card in the sale.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    They don't have to include the card in the sale.
    Thats right and nor do they have to include the bracelet but it aint gonna sell without it
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Ridiculous idea

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Yes this is what happened the shop is called Prestons,i did not set out to slag or even complain,i like most others from the previous comments before chose to walk out and not buy ,i was just curious to see if this was a normal practice and any others have experienced the same.

Thats right and nor do they have to include the bracelet but it aint gonna sell without it
    Maybe not, but it's hardly a police matter either.

Master
    Just a thought. What would happen if, somewhere within the six months, the warranty card was lost? I heard it's impossible even for an AD to get a replacement card.

Why do they want to control/stop you from selling within 6 months?

When you buy something it's yours. Fuc Rolex and the AD, they should have no control/say in what you do with your property.

There must be several consumer laws they are breaking here.

Why do people put up with this?

Master
    Thats like buying a Car and the Dealer keeping the Log book for 6 Months!

I walked past Prestons a few weeks ago. They had a very good selection,

I was a bit surprised a new shop got an AD stays over Mappin and Webb next door.

I brought a BLNR a few weeks ago and they took a photo of the watch and completed card and emailed to Rolex. They said another control put in place by Rolex.

Andy

Master

Rolex AD wanted to keep warranty card for 6 months After purchase

As others have already and quite rightly said that is absolutely and unequivocally the most ridiculously outrageous [WIS related] thing I've heard in recent memory, so much so that it could almost be a really badly thought out (or not) PR stunt!

I popped into Prestons last month to see if they would be kind enough to order me a replacement ref. 3200 screwdriver and after the whole Clive Gunner rigamarole they told me that they would give me a call, when they finally contacted me the discussion seemed to indicate that Clive had indeed confirmed that customers are able to purchase the screwdriver; as expected, but that as a company they were unwilling to order it for me as they don't sell tools. The staff were actually quite pleasant when I visited but I think that they're clearly quite precious over their Rolex AD status having snatched it out from under the nose of Mappin & Webb next door, it's a shame because M&P had been quite accommodating in the past.

The OP was right to name & shame and IMHO this should be brought to the attention of Rolex UK.
    Last edited by MST; 8th April 2015 at 21:29.

Got to agree with most of the comments here. It's a very patronising attitude to adopt, when you're selling a mass produced (but very well made) item to members of the public with large amount of disposable income. The market is very competitive, with many very good alternatives to an AD. I can't imagine too many/any will accept these terms. A couple of weeks with unsold items, and I suspect they'll be re-thinking their policy.....

Master
    thats the most stupid thing I have ever heard BUT BUT

I have heard similar and I say similar with trainers! (dont laugh)

a shop called size? sometimes sell limited run of trainers and you can only buy one pair as they
    know they all get sold on at inflated prices. Ridiculous if you ask me

I can't even begin to describe the holy shite stink I would cause in the shop and elsewhere after buying it when they try to withhold any of MY purchased item.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Thats like buying a Car and the Dealer keeping the Log book for 6 Months!
    Funny you should say that, Mercedes put in a condition of sale contract when the deposit was paid (forget the model) that if bought it you couldn't sell it for 1 year, it was to stop people profiteering, by placing deposits then selling on the place on the wait list

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    As others have already and quite rightly said that is absolutely and unequivocally the most ridiculously outrageous [WIS related] thing I've heard in recent memory, so much so that it could almost be a really badly thought out (or not) PR stunt!

I popped into Preston & Duckworth last month to see if they would be kind enough to order me a replacement ref. 3200 screwdriver and after the whole Clive Gunner rigamarole they told me that they would give me a call, when they finally contacted me the discussion seemed to indicate that Clive had indeed confirmed that customers are able to purchase the screwdriver; as expected, but that as a company they were unwilling to order it for me as they don't sell tools. The staff were actually quite pleasant when I visited but I think that they're clearly quite precious over their Rolex AD status having snatched it out from under the nose of Mappin & Webb next door, it's a shame because M&P had been quite accommodating in the past.

The OP was right to name & shame and IMHO this should be brought to the attention of Rolex UK.
    Just to be clear the shop i was referring too is just called prestons which is the Rolex AD,is that not a different jewellers you are thinking of there is also another jewellers called preston & Duckworth.

Master
    I get it but when you can go else where and buy the same product hassle free its just pointless.

id love to wind them up and say fine keep it but the new owner will be here in 6 months to collect it. His names Garry

if i wanted to buy the watch i could but the warranty card will have to stay with them for 6 moths,
    It sounds like they were just trying it on, to be honest. A few customers are bound to say yes, perhaps the majority of them, not really thinking too much about it.

I doubt they'd really refuse to make a sale if the customer insisted on the warranty card. They are in business to shift stuff after all.

Master
    Just to be clear the shop i was referring too is just called prestons which is the Rolex AD,is that not a different jewellers you are thinking of there is also another jewellers called preston & Duckworth.
    My mistake, you're absolutely correct Tony Prestons it is.

Profuse apologies to P&D

Quote Originally Posted by southerner101 View Post

I have heard similar and I say similar with trainers! (dont laugh)

a shop called size? sometimes sell limited run of trainers and you can only buy one pair as they
    know they all get sold on at inflated prices. Ridiculous if you ask me
    Would you rather they sold the whole lot to the first lad who turned up so that he/she can whack the whole lot on ebay? On the contrary, I think Size are acting in their and their clientele's best interest. They are making sure that as many of their clients get their trainers, maintaining good relations with a keen, knowledgeable market.

I'm just pissed that size only stock Adidas OG in 6-11, so I missed out on all the recent re-issues... :(

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Why do people put up with this?
    Who has put up with it? The OP didn't and no-one who has replied to this thread has either.

RE: Japan posting the warranty card

I've heard of friendly dealers in some Asian countries not dating the warranty card for their good customers, and then filling in the date as needed if/when the customer needs service, effectively prolonging the warranty period at the brand's expense, so this could be the driver in this case?

I find this whole thing a bit fishy ( not on OP's part ).
    Am not sure what is in it for the AD or Rolex.
    the drop off in price in selling on is a major deterrent in selling.
    If someone is inclined to sell, six months is not going to change their decision.
    I have never heard of anything like this.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hm.
    Or the AD had misplaced the warranty card / been dim enough to pair it with another watch and we're aiming for a window of time to clear the mess up.

Huh so can I pay like 70% of the price and wear the watch home.. With the remaining 30% paid after I collect my warranty?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I can't even begin to describe the holy shite stink I would cause in the shop and elsewhere after buying it when they try to withhold any of MY purchased item.
    Why cause a stink? No one is making you buy the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    The whole holding on to the warranty card seems rather odd to me. But I agree with your sentiment, don't like the deal don't buy, no one is forcing you to shop there. Or if it is a widespread brand thing, buy a different brand.

Grand Master
    Sounds crazy to me. I`d insist on walking out with the warranty card, otherwise I wouldn`t buy either.

At the end of the day, they're only bloody watches.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Funny you should say that, Mercedes put in a condition of sale contract when the deposit was paid (forget the model) that if bought it you couldn't sell it for 1 year, it was to stop people profiteering, by placing deposits then selling on the place on the wait list
    After the car is purchased and the car is yours, the sale-purchase agreement is completed and I don't believe there's anything in any SPA that would curtail your staturory right to sell any of your belongings that you please. As paying a deposit is slightly different, Mercedes could refuse to honour any place on the list before the car is delivered. But after the car is delivered, I don't believe there's anything that a foreign car company can do stop you doing what you want with your own belongings. I'd be interested to hear if E&W law is now subservient to Roman European law (which shifts the balance of power away from the customer and towards the supplier) in this respect also.

Certainly if you tried it in the US, you'd have a class action suit, your business would be shut down and you'd be playing chicken with your kids' education!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post

Because I want to
    Gray

My take on it as a experienced watch collector 'WIS' is that it's taking the piss big time, however, as 90% of people who buy Roxex arnt 'us', the customers they do get might actually be impressed by the tactic and it may add value to the whole mystique of the brand and make them feel special?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    I walked past Prestons a few weeks ago. They had a very good selection,

I was a bit surprised a new shop got an AD stays over Mappin and Webb next door.

I brought a BLNR a few weeks ago and they took a photo of the watch and completed card and emailed to Rolex. They said another control put in place by Rolex.

Andy

It helped that Prestons (It's still Cottrills - they just bought the Prestons name when they bought the bankrupt stock) turned the Bolton shop into a Rolex exclusive, binning all the other high end brands, and funded the Rolex boutique in Leeds. I think they bend over a bit further than the other chains for Rolex.

Master
    I can see no reason for this unless either

(1) the retailer is trying to make the DeepSea look like a popular model (the Deep Blue is hot today, but the secondhand market is awash with the basic black DeepSea. Go figure, as the colonials say) or

(2) the retailer is trying to prove that it is above discounting to the grey market / "flippers." This is such a sensitive area for all UK ADs at the moment.

It would certainly put many forum members off buying a watch, but forum members (whatever some might think) comprise less than 1% of the watch-buying market).

Haywood

the Rolex guarantee cards need to be activated in the shop for the guarantee to be valid,

so ask them if that gives you an extra 6 months on the guarantee period?