closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why does my pooch do this?

Why does my pooch do this?

I was going to post this a while back but I thought it was just one of those things or simply a coincidence but it's getting a bit strange now as I've virtually exhausted every possibility.

We have 2 chocolate labs but it's the actions of the youngest which is very puzzling, within about 2 minutes either side of 10pm she will sit bolt upright and bark really deeply twice and then lay back down again. Our other dog is totally unaffected by this and barely opens an eye. I've tried to remove all possible visuals she may be getting from us, I've turned off the TV, the last 3 times shes done it we have been sat there in complete silence but something is triggering it. Our next door neighbours have been on holiday for the past 2 weeks so she's not picking something up from there. My youngest is in bed and the eldest is vegging in his room normally with his headphones on. It's now been going on almost daily since Xmas and it's driving me mad to find out whys she's doing it. I know dogs sense weird things but this is very strange.

Any ideas?

FFF
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 7th April 2015 at 22:36.

Sound. Maybe there's a signal only it can hear. Railway, road, anywhere. Distant church clock. That, in any event, would be my guess.

Telling you it's time you went to bed? I agree though, very strange and slightly spooky.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Sound. Maybe there's a signal only it can hear. Railway, road, anywhere. Distant church clock. That, in any event, would be my guess.
    We're about 200 metres away from a road but inside the house it's certainly outside my range of hearing. I've though of all that but it's the 10pm thing which is really getting me. The church is about 1.5-2.0 miles away so I guess it's a possibility but why does she not do it at 8-9-11pm?

One of our pooches will occasionally do this. We think she is dreaming, and is barking at a threat in a dream?

Just guessing?

We've got a chocolate lab and they're just strange, she does the weirdest things

Craftsman
    Did the time that the barking happens change with the clocks ? That might help narrowing down the trigger - although I`m not suggesting your dog can count 10 bell chimes.

I`m always amazed by how good a dogs memory is - yours could be remembering an event that happened months ago

I`m also surprised by how the clocks changing and the lighter / darker mornings never seem to effect our dogs. They still wake up at exactly the same time (Amy 3am / Alfie 7am!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Seano View Post
    Did the time that the barking happens change with the clocks ? That might help narrowing down the trigger - although I`m not suggesting your dog can count 10 bell chimes.

I`m always amazed by how good a dogs memory is - yours could be remembering an event that happened months ago

I`m also surprised by how the clocks changing and the lighter / darker mornings never seem to effect our dogs. They still wake up at exactly the same time (Amy 3am / Alfie 7am!!)
    I hadn't even thought about that, it's stayed the same so she's still barking at 10 after the change, perhaps she can tell the time on the wall!!

Banned
    I'm going with the old R Dean Taylor song.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I'm going with the old R Dean Taylor song.
    There's generally a malevolent force in my house but thankfully the mother inlaw goes home well before 10pm.

Master
    10 o'clock news!? from somewhere she can only hear.............................its a stretch i know :-)

Master
    Does she wake from sleep to bark? If there is other activity (play, visitors, whatever) going on sometimes at 10:00, would she disengage from that to bark?

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    10 o'clock news!? from somewhere she can only hear.............................its a stretch i know :-)
    Nope, does it with TV off

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Does she wake from sleep to bark? If there is other activity (play, visitors, whatever) going on sometimes at 10:00, would she disengage from that to bark?
    She's generally asleep when it happens. Theres normally nothing else going on at 10

Master
    Probably possessed...I'd try an exorcism may work

Master
    Do you make a fuss over her when she does it - could she be mistakenly learning something that she thinks you want her to do?

All very strange!

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Probably possessed...I'd try an exorcism may work
    Are we talking dog or mother in law?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Are we talking dog or mother in law?
    I'd be on the safe side and get a 2 for 1 deal from the local priest

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    This would have been my suggestion as well, and seems to be the most logical one.

As an aside, our German Shepherd went from curled up in her bed to sat bolt upright a few nights ago; the room was dark, other than the TV being on. She then fixed her gaze on a spot about three feet from her and walked over to it pretty rapidly. Mrs AM and I watched with amusement/puzzlement. She then pushed a toy that had been left on the floor aside and proceeded to swat a reasonable large spider with her paw!

Mrs AM gave out a small scream, pooch looked very pleased with itself and I decided instantly that she has spider sense!

I'm not suggesting yours is alerting you to a predetermined onslaught of spider home invasion but these canine friends of ours sure do have much better scent and hearing than their human companions; therefore, yours sensing something that isn't even on your radar isn't unlikely.

Be careful out there people... spider attack immanent.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    This would have been my suggestion as well, and seems to be the most logical one.

As an aside, our German Shepherd went from curled up in her bed to sat bolt upright a few nights ago; the room was dark, other than the TV being on. She then fixed her gaze on a spot about three feet from her and walked over to it pretty rapidly. Mrs AM and I watched with amusement/puzzlement. She then pushed a toy that had been left on the floor aside and proceeded to swat a reasonable large spider with her paw!

Mrs AM gave out a small scream, pooch looked very pleased with itself and I decided instantly that she has spider sense!

I'm not suggesting yours is alerting you to a predetermined onslaught of spider home invasion but these canine friends of ours sure do have much better scent and hearing than their human companions; therefore, yours sensing something that isn't even on your radar isn't unlikely.

Be careful out there people... spider attack immanent.
    Dammit, now I need to get a dog!

OP - has the dog always lived with you and always done this?

Did you get something electronic for Christmas that resets itself at 10pm, or lets off a noise of any kind? Does a security light outside or on someone else's property turn on or off? Does an Antanov fly within 200 miles? Do all the spiders report in at 10? Does your central heating go off then?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Dammit, now I need to get a dog!

OP - has the dog always lived with you and always done this?

Did you get something electronic for Christmas that resets itself at 10pm, or lets off a noise of any kind? Does a security light outside or on someone else's property turn on or off? Does an Antanov fly within 200 miles? Do all the spiders report in at 10? Does your central heating go off then?
    We've had her from 8 weeks so no and she's done it for about 3 months now.

No security lights lights and the people next door have been away. We used to live on a direct flight path to RAF Lyneham but that has since closed to the C130's. Central heating goes off at 10:30 however it hasn't been cold enough to be on.

Journeyman
    Try a late walk around that time to try and break the habit of her doing it ?

Journeyman
    We have geese fly over each night at about that time making a right racket. Could it be something similar?

Craftsman
    I had a horrible feeling that upon opening this thread I would be confronted with a video of your dog dragging it's arse across the floor.

Thank god it's just a mad chocolate lab.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I was going to post this a while back but I thought it was just one of those things or simply a coincidence but it's getting a bit strange now as I've virtually exhausted every possibility.

We have 2 chocolate labs

FFF

I read this as Chocolate Lab at first, lol