closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE shaver recommendation

Master

DE shaver recommendation

The DE shaver I've been using for 6 or 7 years now is starting to play up. Basically the mech. that keeps the blade locked is getting slack so I have to keep on tightening it up whilst shaving. If I don't the blade gets loose and ends up hacking into me :-(

So I need to buy a new one me thinks. Any suggestions? Up to £50 I'm thinking... The Edwin Jagger Chatsworth looks very sexy.

Suggestions?

Cheers.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    The DE shaver I've been using for 6 or 7 years now is starting to play up. Basically the mech. that keeps the blade locked is getting slack so I have to keep on tightening it up whilst shaving. If I don't the blade gets loose and ends up hacking into me :-(

So I need to buy a new one me thinks. Any suggestions? Up to £50 I'm thinking... The Edwin Jagger Chatsworth looks very sexy.

Suggestions?

Cheers.

Steve

I use a reconditioned gillette fatboy from the 1950s. Been great for the lst 5 years.

Hello

Gillette Slim Adjustable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Gillette Slim Adjustable
    I understand the slim is no longer made. Second hand samples seem a long way out of my price bracket.

However I hear good reports of the Merkur Progress and a very similar alternative.

Save a bit more and go for a Mongoose,it will last a life time and you won't regret it.

You don't need an adjustable.

Man up and get a Merkur Slant.

Craftsman
    You can't go wrong with the Chatsworth - it's a fabulous razor.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post

This and with a Feather blade too for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    This and with a Feather blade too for good measure.
    And a bar of alum

another vote for a merkur

And a bar of alum
    absolutely essential !

Craftsman
    I'd have to agree with those who have suggested a vintage Gillette, mind you I restore them so I'm biased! Try one of the adjustable as mentioned or a Super Speed or, if you fancy a serious treat an Aristocrat, all beautiful shavers that just ooze character.

Shameful plug alert......

....check out therazorspa.xyz

Master

Tempted I must say... After 7 years using a DE razor (after several decades wasting time with supermarket plastic rubbish and two different electric shavers) am I experienced enough to go up to a Slant? It's tempting to try ;-) Does the slant take standard DE blades. I have about three boxes of '7 day' blades left to use up. I think it's time for a change of blade then. So a Slant+Feather blade is a recipe for a blood bath or the best shave I've ever had? ;-)

Master
    Tempted I must say... After 7 years using a DE razor (after several decades wasting time with supermarket plastic rubbish and two different electric shavers) am I experienced enough to go up to a Slant? It's tempting to try ;-) Does the slant take standard DE blades. I have about three boxes of '7 day' blades left to use up. I think it's time for a change of blade then. So a Slant+Feather blade is a recipe for a blood bath or the best shave I've ever had? ;-)
    When I changed to a DE razor I started off with the ubiquitous Merkur HD and tried several blades and ended up with Feathers only because the Swedish Gillettes were no longer available. I then tried various other Merkurs, Progress, Futur, Vision and finally Slant, I did change the blade back to the Boots/Tesco Israeli one to soften the blow but after a short while went back to the Feathers without issue.

Slants do take standard DE blades and with everything shaving related it boils down to personal preference but I would give a Slant a try.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    When I changed to a DE razor I started off with the ubiquitous Merkur HD and tried several blades and ended up with Feathers only because the Swedish Gillettes were no longer available. I then tried various other Merkurs, Progress, Futur, Vision and finally Slant, I did change the blade back to the Boots/Tesco Israeli one to soften the blow but after a short while went back to the Feathers without issue.

Slants do take standard DE blades and with everything shaving related it boils down to personal preference but I would give a Slant a try.
    The deed is done! Also an Alum bar ;-)

I have a Merkur Futur, no blade mechanism as such as the retaining top plate just unclips. It a heavy bit of kit and feels well engineered. Mine is as good today a it was four or five years ago.

Master
    Another vote for Merkur Futur here as well. Had mine for years and feels like it will go on forever.

Master
    If I get cut to pieces by the Slant then it's the Futur next :-)

Master
    The Futur was the Merkur I liked the least. I'm not a fan of adjustable razors, the balance was wrong, and it was slippery when wet! Why they designed it with a rounded bottom, so you cannot stand it upright, I will never know.

Suggestions?

Cheers.

Steve
    You can't go wrong with Edwin Jagger. I think all the heads are the same, or very similar , so choose the model you like.
    I'm shaving with straight razor most of the time, but always choose DE89L when in hurry. It shaves almost as close as my straights.

Master
    The EJ89 is my goto DE though I do prefer the 1912 SE.

Master
    I use the Merkur Progress (adjustable), can't complain at all

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    The EJ89 is my goto DE though I do prefer the 1912 SE.
    1912.....now you're talking! Funny how most DE shavers eventually arrive at SE! Great razors. Have you tried a 1914?

Journeyman
    I recently went with an Ikon Shave Craft 101 - love it.
    It has aluminium head so no rust with a Stainless Steel handle to give it some heft. the beauty of this razor is it has both a closed and open comb side. I managed to get one from the seconds bin which was roughly half price and when I got it I could not seen any reason for it to be a second.

I do find I shave better with the open comb side and find the closed side more aggressive for my face. I use it with Derby's but currently have a persona loaded in. The derby is better with my face.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    1912.....now you're talking! Funny how most DE shavers eventually arrive at SE! Great razors. Have you tried a 1914?
    Can't say I have tried the 1914, how does it compare to the 1912?

Journeyman
    Used to be as bad with razors as watches. Now use a Muhle head with a Webber handle and feather blades and it's perfect for me. Only one I use now.

Craftsman
    I have been using an Edwin Jagger 89 for about 8 months now and love the DE shaving experience.

I'm now looking for something 'higher' end and have been researching the Feather AS-D2. I want something new but will be around for many years to come, so stainless would be my preference. Does anyone own one and have any feedback?

Master
    https://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/blog/posts/601

these are good if you like adjustable
    Last edited by Karl; 8th April 2015 at 10:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    I have been using an Edwin Jagger 89 for about 8 months now and love the DE shaving experience.

I'm now looking for something 'higher' end and have been researching the Feather AS-D2. I want something new but will be around for many years to come, so stainless would be my preference. Does anyone own one and have any feedback?
    I have been using my 89 for a year, and some months ago bought a Parker to keep abroad. Somehow, I much prefer the 89 - and whilst I would buy a more expensive razor, I cannot think of a reason to do so, as I am not too sure that more money will equate to a better shave.

My vintage gillette super speeds (flare tip and '49) and rocket are all I or my son will ever need :) . I'll teach him how to shave properly, then he can go his own way. The razors are almost twice as old as me and will easily last his lifetime I think. May get my flare tip spa'd by the member who does this on here.

Feather AD D1............with Feather blades, Japan Made, great razor and blades

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I have been using my 89 for a year, and some months ago bought a Parker to keep abroad. Somehow, I much prefer the 89 - and whilst I would buy a more expensive razor, I cannot think of a reason to do so, as I am not too sure that more money will equate to a better shave.
    I think it's more the fact I want something that will last a lifetime and the EJ is good, but not sure it will stand up for more than a few years.

Out of all the modern razors I have researched the feather looks the best. If does come with a pretty hefty price tag though.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    It's not as harsh as it's reputation suggests.
    When I need to remove a few days of growth it's my go to razor, and it's very effective.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Can't say I have tried the 1914, how does it compare to the 1912?
    Very similar to be fair, same amazing toast scraping noise! Just a better looking razor IMHO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cg360 View Post
    My vintage gillette super speeds (flare tip and '49) and rocket are all I or my son will ever need :) . I'll teach him how to shave properly, then he can go his own way. The razors are almost twice as old as me and will easily last his lifetime I think. May get my flare tip spa'd by the member who does this on here.
    That would be me! Give me a shout when/if you want...........http://www.therazorspa.xyz/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    https://www.thegentlemansgroomroom.com/blog/posts/601

these are good if you like adjustable
    That's a sexy looking instrument... Do I want ANOTHER expensive hobby? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    That would be me! Give me a shout when/if you want...........http://www.therazorspa.xyz/
    Will do!
    C

Master
    That's a sexy looking instrument... Do I want ANOTHER expensive hobby? ;-)

Yes, The Digress is a great shaver

I hope no one minds a slight thread drift, but can anyone recommend a good quality shaving cream. I generally use taylors of old bond street almond as I adore the smell and it's been pretty good so far, however, I'd like to try a few other products to see if there's any better out there. My only condition is that is has to be a cream not a soap.

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    merkur slant and progress user here...a good dependable cream,,,,Body Shop maca cream blue tub...some dislike the smell well i dont

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    merkur slant and progress user here...a good dependable cream,,,,Body Shop maca cream blue tub...some dislike the smell well i dont
    Well my first Slant shave using the sample blade supplied. No problems at all. tbh I was a little gentle but did two passes and not a knick. Very smooth. Old razor now in the bin :-)

Cheers. A good recommendation. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I hope no one minds a slight thread drift, but can anyone recommend a good quality shaving cream. I generally use taylors of old bond street almond as I adore the smell and it's been pretty good so far, however, I'd like to try a few other products to see if there's any better out there. My only condition is that is has to be a cream not a soap.

Thanks in advance.
    To be honest, Erasmic cream is one of the best I've used. I have used quite a few of the expensive ones .... none lather up like Erasmic... maybe the water softness has something to do with it. Has a smell of freshly sharpened pencils of you like to smell like one lol.

Rod

Oil helps too, I find. If I shave in the shower, I use only oil, with no problem. I use the cheap 99p stuff you get in Morrison's. Works for me.

Master
    Tried Feather blades in the slant and there's just too much blood involved. I quite like the Gillette 7 O'Clock standard blades. Just wondered if there are any other suggestions? I notice there's a Super Stainless version of the Gillette now. Anyone tried these? They seem to get good reviews.

btw I have 1.8 packs of Feather blades up for grabs (tried 2 blades from one pack before giving in). First reply gets them with post included ;-)

Craftsman
    Hey Steve, I've just pm'd you, I'd love to give them a go!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Hey Steve, I've just pm'd you, I'd love to give them a go!
    Sold :-)

Merkur 34C for me, very well engineered. I'm looking at one of the longer, heavier ones with the same head at the moment. Gillette Silver Blue blades are excellent.

Tried Feather blades in the slant and there's just too much blood involved.
    It ain't the blade or the razor. It's your technique.

Master
    I'm in no doubt that you're correct. I need a blade that's more forgiving with sloppy shaving ;-)

Craftsman
    Different faces like different blades. It's personal taste, not technique.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    Different faces like different blades. It's personal taste, not technique.
    I have issues with the spots directly below nostrils on upper lip also below the corners of the mouth. The former might be because my nose is too big and the latter 'cause my cheeks are too chubby ;-)