closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Mustang

New Ford Mustang

I look forward to see how well these do in the UK. I have always fancied a Mustang but the left hand drive has always put me off.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/NewMustang

Anyone else fancy one of these or am I having another mid life crisis ?

Master
    Did Enoch not just buy one?

Blog Entries
    I had one for 2 weeks whilst in the states, really enjoyed it but trip computer showed 22 mpg average so would need a big fuel allowance over here, mind you I didn't stick entirely to their speed limits :)
    Last edited by Frankie169; 4th April 2015 at 22:50.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice, but for the money I would go for a three year old C63 AMG.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Nice, but for the money I would go for a three year old C63 AMG.
    I wondered how many posts before someone chipped in with the utterly pointless ''for that money i'd go for a..." response!

PS I LOVE these Mustangs, and whenever in the US I always admire them!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    I had one for 2 weeks whilst in the states, really enjoyed it but trip computer showed 22 mpg average so would need a big fuel allowance over here, mind you I didn't still entirely to their speed limits :)
    Yeah maybe not one for doing really long journeys in very often.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I wondered how many posts before someone chipped in with the utterly pointless ''for that money i'd go for a..." response!

It will be interesing to see how well they hold their value. If they don't they might be a very tempting second hand buy in a couple of years or so.

Master
    Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with an opinion, for that money there's a lot of cars I'd consider.

I reckon the mustang will be an overall failure in the UK.

I had one for 2 weeks whilst in the states, really enjoyed it but trip computer showed 22 mpg average so would need a big fuel allowance over here, mind you I didn't still entirely to their speed limits :)
    My 2003 CR-V auto only did 26. Depends on your mileage.

I admired the fact we were spared them here.

The new one does look a little less recycled though.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Blog Entries
    IMO makes me go twitchy in a lot of places and then there is the lineage, the movies we watched and the general warm feeling brought back down to earth with lousy mpg ( especially on UK prices) re sale, what's the insurance like? and smoking this bad boy on the A13 is not quite Pacific Highway 1 or what's left of route 66.
    Like the Corvette if I had a spare garage space and the spare change hell why not? in the meantime I drive a Merc Eclass cabriolet and that does it for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Pardon me I am sure. Love away, but please allow me my opinion too. Thank you.

Master
    Mine is on order:)

For me, £35k for a 5.0 V8 with all the options is OK....... Never been a fan of German cars and certainly wouldn't spend my own money on one, so this will be a good alternative

Especially when it gets the Rousch SC kit and 630BHP ish....

Craftsman
    But that's American mpg though, right? That would be 26 British mpg, and with our higher RON fuel I'm sure you'd see better.

Me, I love the new Mustang, I just wish I could find a reason to justify buying one.

Master

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    But that's American mpg though, right? That would be 26 British mpg, and with our higher RON fuel I'm sure you'd see better.

Me, I love the new Mustang, I just wish I could find a reason to justify buying one.
    I'm selling my 5.7 Hemi jeep....Does 20 on a run......and my 6.0 TVR.... Does about 25 on a run... And replacing both with the Mustang.....annual mileage is around 5000, so not to fussed about MPG......

And for general running around, we have a yaris......50 mpg..

Oh and the concensus in americaland is that once a super charger is fitted, it actually improves MPG slightly.......that's what I've told the Mrs anyway....."it's for economy dear, it'll pay for itself in no time"

Man maths at its best
    Last edited by Enoch; 3rd April 2015 at 19:00.

I like the look of it a lot!

i also think the 2.3litre ecoboost engine putting out 310bhp is rather impressive, and might be a much more sensible (albeit a bit less fun) choice.

i like coupes, but need two small but viable seats in the back. My Audi TT has been a great car, but the kids are struggling to fit now. A viable alternative to the limited German offerings would be extremely welcome. I had a 911 previously, and that had a bit more rear room, but not much.

I'd like to see some interior pics.... Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I'm selling my 5.7 Hemi jeep....Does 20 on a run......and my 6.0 TVR.... Does about 25 on a run... And replacing both with the Mustang.....annual mileage is around 5000, so not to fussed about MPG......

And for general running around, we have a yaris......50 mpg..

Oh and the concensus in americaland is that once a super charger is fitted, it actually improves MPG slightly.......that's what I've told the Mrs anyway....."it's for economy dear, it'll pay for itself in no time"

Man maths at its best
    What six litre TVR?

I've had 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0, but never been aware of a 6.0?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    What six litre TVR?

I've had 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0, but never been aware of a 6.0?
    This one.......LS3..... 445bhp....6 speed box..

Crikey! That must be monstrous! Where is that engine from? Is it a modified vette lump?

And that must be staggeringly quick, given that a 500 does sixty in about 4.3 secs...and a griff weighs about as much as a crisp packet.

Master
    I like the look of it a lot!
    i like coupes, but need two small but viable seats in the back. viable alternative to the limited German offerings would be extremely welcome.

I'd like to see some interior pics.... Anyone?
    There some stuff on Google and YouTube.....but yes the new Mustang does have useable rear seats.....adults will struggle as their head will touch the rear glass, so not ideal, but for flexible youngsters...they should be ok for a few hours...

I'm trying to not get to excited yet as its some way off for delivery, and sadly my mate wants the TVR at the end of this month, so I won't have a toy for the summer...
    But spec on the Mustang seems quite good.
    I've gone for guards green, saddle leather, heated air & air conditiond seats, 6 speed tip (manual is available) but part of the reason for selling the Griff is that I'm struggling with the clutch, and it's not even that heavy...
    Full shaker audio, reverse camera.....all the bells and whistles... For not much more that some boring German diesel...

Master
    Crikey! That must be monstrous! Where is that engine from? Is it a modified vette lump?

And that must be staggeringly quick, given that a 500 does sixty in about 4.3 secs...and a griff weighs about as much as a crisp packet.
    It is.... Most folk don't "get" how quick it is until they've been in it......and yes it's a mix of corvette parts...ls2 bottom end and ls3 heads. Giving 6.0 ltrs.... A proper LS3 is 6.2

I took a chap out in it yesterday, and he was genuinly shocked at the acceleration...

0-60 comes up in around 3 seconds without a gear change...just launch in 2nd, and it'll hit 60 before it hits the Rev limiter..
    0-100 is probably aroun 8 seconds...
    I've no idea what top speed is, as I bottle it well before its anywhere near...

But do you know what, it's an absolute pussycat to drive, pulls from nothing in any gear, it's almost like driving an auto..
    The best bit is the gearbox, it's like a rifle bolt action....

My mate is selling a Cayman to buy the Griff.....he loves it..

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That Guards Green spec on the Mustang looks really very nice indeed. I might have to take that Merc comment back!
    The specs of your TVR look pretty impressive too, albeit a shade off my new baby's.

Master
    That Guards Green spec on the Mustang looks really very nice indeed. I might have to take that Merc comment back!
    The specs of your TVR look pretty impressive too, albeit a shade off my new baby's.
    Your figures are real......mine are seat of the pants, and a mate with a stopwatch..... Not really scientific

And you've got loads of gizmos to keep you on the straight n narrow........ Mine has 3 pedals, a gear lever and a steering wheel..... Misuse anyone of em and there's a price to pay......:-)... Especially in the wet..

I'm taking it to a "run what you brung" at Avon raceway in a couple of weeks... Be very interesting what it'll do a quarter mile in.....I'm aiming to get into the low 12's...but we'll see...

What's the standing quarter on the Skyline??
    Last edited by Enoch; 3rd April 2015 at 19:52.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Figures for the 2014 car's quarter range from 10.8 to 11.1, but as you correctly say, a shed load of clever maths and electronics sort that. I very much admire anyone getting close to same with a truly analogue car such as yours.

Master
    ^^^that is Efin fast...... The last time I went down the strip was on a ZZR1100 and that was a bloody quick bike back in the day....and it did 10.8@ 135.... So for a road car to get into the low 11's is quite special...

There's a chap with an LS cerb that does 10.5's... But he has monster power..

Be interesting to see what the Griff can do... I'll post up the figures..

Regarding the Mustang,.... They come with line lock as standard....how mad is that??

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^that is Efin fast...... The last time I went down the strip was on a ZZR1100 and that was a bloody quick bike back in the day....and it did 10.8@ 135.... So for a road car to get into the low 11's is quite special...

There's a chap with an LS cerb that does 10.5's... But he has monster power..

Be interesting to see what the Griff can do... I'll post up the figures..

Regarding the Mustang,.... They come with line lock as standard....how mad is that??
    I do think that at the price, the GTR is a veritable performance bargain, being not far off the figues of the LaFerrari at a fraction of the cost.

I would be interested to see those figures.

I very much like the line lock idea......smokin'

Master
    The GTR is crazy fast but feels planted at all times. I have never driven one but have sat as passenger in a 2010 version, and it just doesn't make sense how quick it goes without feeling that quick in the traditional sense.

The 6.0 TVR though - that is giving me goose bumps just thinking about it (I have the I wants). My old neighbour had a number of TVR's including a Griffith 500 with straight through exhausts. That car almost resulted in a divorce as I considered buying it instead of moving house. I still wonder if I made the right decision

As for the Mustang, I hope it's a hit. It's certainly got plenty going for it. Enoch - I like your thinking on the upgrades though.

Master
    THIRTY TWO GRAND?

You could get a real one for that (and change), which wouldn't make you look like Gareth Cheeseman.

Master
    Yep, the same sort of cost as a top spec Golf. Not bad when you think about it that way.

Master
    Pardon me I am sure. Love away, but please allow me my opinion too. Thank you.
    The OP wasnt asking for opinions on alternatives. Thank you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The OP wasnt asking for opinions on alternatives. Thank you.
    The OP's final sentence is a question, to which I responded. So please just get back in your box. Thank you kindly.

I've no idea what top speed is, as I bottle it well before its anywhere near...
    A long time ago at about 3:30 one June morning I thought I'd see how fast a (factory) tuned up Tuscan would go, sadly the ride height/damping let it down and the road had an intimate moment with the carbonfibre splitter, radiator and sump. It hadn't successfully negotiated a dip followed by rise in the road surface. I've always liked the approach of relatively light car, RWD, big power and no driver aides (apart from power steering) but you can't drive it like you can something Japanese like a 370Z or NSX. Why not buy something like the MX-5 currently on SC, thrash it round for the summer and sell it for the same money when the Mustang arrives?

And I'm with you, OP, I love the new Mustang. I also rather like the Hellcat, the new Corvette and especially the Challenger. I wish we could get the prices and lease/low finance deals thet get in the US and have some decent (as in wide enough!) roads on which to drive them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    A long time ago at about 3:30 one June morning I thought I'd see how fast a (factory) tuned up Tuscan would go, sadly the ride height/damping let it down and the road had an intimate moment with the carbonfibre splitter, radiator and sump. It hadn't successfully negotiated a dip followed by rise in the road surface. I've always liked the approach of relatively light car, RWD, big power and no driver aides (apart from power steering) but you can't drive it like you can something Japanese like a 370Z or NSX. Why not buy something like the MX-5 currently on SC, thrash it round for the summer and sell it for the same money when the Mustang arrives?
    You're experience is similar to mine....this is my 3rd Griffith, and non of them give a feeling of confidence at high speed..
    The aero is just all wrong.
    I had this one up to 145 ish in Germany last year, and honestly, it was enough, the funny thing was I had a gear to go, and another 2k RPM, so god knows what it's theoretical top speed is.....probably over 180, but it'd be someone other than me to try that one out.....all pretty much irrelevant anyway, because the fun in this car is the outright grunt, low and midrange is organ rearranging territory.....

As for summer fun..... Don't feel to sorry for me, I'm buggering off touring France in my van, my sister has a new MX5 which I can use pretty much whenever I want, and my mate is going to put me on as a named driver on the Griff.... So with thise options, the wait for the Mustang should be bearable...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    THIRTY TWO GRAND?

You could get a real one for that (and change), which wouldn't make you look like Gareth Cheeseman.
    Would the "real" one come with 3 years manufacturers warranty??....

Yes, two completely different cars. It's a bit like saying why are there so many new Mini Coopers on the road when you can buy an original for the same money?

You're experience is similar to mine....this is my 3rd Griffith, and non of them give a feeling of confidence at high speed..
    The aero is just all wrong.
    I had this one up to 145 ish in Germany last year, and honestly, it was enough, the funny thing was I had a gear to go, and another 2k RPM, so god knows what it's theoretical top speed is.....probably over 180, but it'd be someone other than me to try that one out.....all pretty much irrelevant anyway, because the fun in this car is the outright grunt, low and midrange is organ rearranging territory.....

As for summer fun..... Don't feel to sorry for me, I'm buggering off touring France in my van, my sister has a new MX5 which I can use pretty much whenever I want, and my mate is going to put me on as a named driver on the Griff.... So with thise options, the wait for the Mustang should be bearable...
    What I learnt was TVRs aren't capable of doing the speed TVRs are capable of! Fortunately it wasn't my car.

I think the new Mustang will be a great success here in the UK. When you consider Mustangs are not a rare sight on these shores and every one of them is an import. It's about time Ford recognised the demand for them outside of the USA.

Here's my 2012 Mustang Boss 302 (302ci is the engine size - 5.0 litres)

Last edited by Jim W; 4th April 2015 at 11:04.

Master

That looks great Jim......

I must admit I've struggled a bit with what to buy, it's obvious that after my knee replacement the TVR isn't working for me....just getting in and out is not as easy as it used to be...
    I'd really love a Morgan Aeromax, but they're out of my league, I don't like the safe options, Audi, BMW Merc Etc they're overpriced, and just don't flick my switch at all...I tried a V8Vantage, which was OK, but not value for money in my book.

So when I heard about the Ford in RHD and fully IRS, at that price, it got my interest..... I don't do a high mileage, and my thinking was that even on the off chance I don't like it....I suspect I can move it on easily enough....

Reports from the USA seem positive enough, so im quite looking forward to giving it a go....

If these don't hold their value they could be a seriously tempting second hand buy in three years time. Can you imagine getting something like that for maybe £15k or thereabouts ?

Craftsman
    Love mustangs but with a 3 year old I'm not sure it will be practical. Anyone know roughly leasing costs

Master
    I too have been sorely tempted. The mpg from the ecoboost, which admitedly isn't to be sniffed @ 300+ ponies, to the full fat v8 is apparently very small...

Enoch - what was required to secure the car? I fear the UK allocation sold out already though.

I hope they do well, it's priced competitively vs. the Golf R, an S3 is 40k with the options.

What does line locked mean in reference to this car ?

I think the V8 represents great value for money when you consider a BMW 320d with some options can easily cost that, as long as you do low mileage this should be a hoot to own

Please post pics of the car when you get it Enoch

Master
    In answer to the above questions....

£1000 deposit paid to Ford dealer...only certain dealers will have allocation... There's a list on the ford website.
    Then you wait for confirmation that your order is in the system....mine took around 6 weeks to get the "yes you're on the lis email"

Line lock......it's a gimmick really, but basically it's a system where you can lock the front wheels, so that you can then plant the throttle and do big burn outs.....it's used in drag racing to warm the tyres....why ford think a road car requires it is a mystery....but eh the yanks love line lock....go figure..

My Mrs has already said if I use line lock, and knacker a set of rear tyres......I'm dead.

Thanks for the explanation

I think the line lock feature has just convinced me I want one too

My next question is how much for a rear set of tyres ?

Craftsman
    I think buying a 2.3 eco boost in a mustang should be selection criteria for mandatory castration.

Craftsman
    Nope but it also won't lose money at a rate faster than you could burn it...

Still keep telling yourself you have 'the' desirable mustang with its 3 year warranty

Oh and keep us upto date with your performance figures that you just pluck out of the air / guess..

P.s Avon Shakespeare drag racing strip is a down hill gradient and isn't FIA approved so figures will be fudged. Go to Santa pod instead or just guess.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post

Still keep telling yourself you have 'the' desirable mustang with its 3 year warranty

Oh and keep us upto date with your performance figures that you just pluck out of the air / guess..

P.s Avon Shakespeare drag racing strip is a down hill gradient and isn't FIA approved so figures will be fudged. Go to Santa pod instead or just guess.....
    Calm down newbie. It is only a nice fireside chat about cars. No need for such antagonism.

Master

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post

WTF is your problem??..... I'm going to Avon park with a load of TVR mates for a fun weekend, I ain't competing in an FIA drag race FFS..it's run what ya brung.....get it

As for my "plucked out of the air figures" I said all along "seat of the pants, and a mate with a stopwatch so hardly scientific" ..... Jeez..
    Last edited by Enoch; 7th April 2015 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Thanks for the explanation

I think the line lock feature has just convinced me I want one too

My next question is how much for a rear set of tyres ?
    This :) lol now I want one, or at least a go at line locked burn outs ! Lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    This :) lol now I want one, or at least a go at line locked burn outs ! Lol
    I'm actually not sure if the car I've ordered will have it or not.....I'm sure I saw somewhere that it wasn't fitted on the autos...
    I'd have loved to have stuck with a manual, but my sensible side says that I'm struggling with the TVR (knee replacement) so an auto will be best in the long term...