closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steinhart vs Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    Seiko seem to be the brand we pit against everything
    I think the reason is Seiko have such a wide range of watches and price points.

Master
    My slight take on this is that I've had my Steinhart Ocean GMT (ETA movement) now for a few months, and I'm amazed by its accuracy! Its basically gains around 1sec a day, which is deeply impressive. Most of my collection have been quartz, and I was rather wary of buying an auto, as my Seiko SKX007, my only other auto, gains around 1 minute a day! It is old and I bought it secondhand - even though I had it serviced after I bought it, its never been very accurate.

So, I think the Steinhart is great, at a fraction of the price of other flash brands with similar movements - and half the cost of the almost identical Christopher Ward product, that has the exact same ETA movement! And the Steinhart is water resistant to 300m rather than 200m, which is of course crucially important!

I love Seikos something rotten but faced with that choice I would get the Steinny.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I think the reason is Seiko have such a wide range of watches and price points.
    I think so too.

Journeyman
    Just my 2p worth - I've Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage red and LOVE it. It was my first 'proper' watch. I can't see me getting anything else until I can afford an Omega or such like.

I'm also looking at getting a 007 as a daily watch, but will keep the Steinhart as a non-beater. The quality is excellent. I bought direct from the website and they were very helpful, no issues at all.

Journeyman
    I have a couple of Seikos which I like, but I recently bought my dad a Steinhart Ocean One, and was blown away by the quality. The only thing I know that comes close at the price point is my PRS-25, the level of finish is very similar. I'd buy a Steinhart of my own in a heartbeat, and may well do once the Vintage GMT comes back in stock.

Why not have both that's what I'm going to do

Quote Originally Posted by gshort67 View Post
    Why not have both that's what I'm going to do
    Have you ended up with both yet?

Got an Orange Sumo a couple of months back - just received my Super Oyster from Yobokies and it looks great!

Also just ordered an OCEAN 1 Green. Hoping it's here soon :)

Steinhart vs Seiko

They also made this limited Black Sea. Same case and bracelet as the homages I think but an original design, ceramic lumed insert., domed crystal, GMT.

Hmm. So you're trying a cheap auto before you decide whether to get an expensive one, at which point you'll probably retire the old one as you don't strike me as a watch nut. So to get the 'normal auto' experience you need an automatic that can be hand wound and hacks. With a decent bracelet. Personally I'd go for a Seiko monster, one of the updated hacking versions, I've had one that gained a second a day, one that lost 15 so it is a b it pot luck, but if and when you come to sell (to put towards your new purchase) you will get a decent resale. Other opinions may vary!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Hmm. So you're trying a cheap auto before you decide whether to get an expensive one, at which point you'll probably retire the old one as you don't strike me as a watch nut. So to get the 'normal auto' experience you need an automatic that can be hand wound and hacks. With a decent bracelet. Personally I'd go for a Seiko monster, one of the updated hacking versions, I've had one that gained a second a day, one that lost 15 so it is a b it pot luck, but if and when you come to sell (to put towards your new purchase) you will get a decent resale. Other opinions may vary!!
    Steinharts often have very decent resale value.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I appear to have ordered an Ocean 1 Black with ceramic bezel today

Wonder if it will get more wrist time than my B1 ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    The lume on the Seiko beats the Steinharts
    Gratuitous lume shot opportunity

Dave

Master
    Bit late to this but I have had numerous Seikos and two Steinhart GMT's and the only thing that I didn't like about the latter, was the size. I have 6.5" wrists and they are just a bit too bulky, heavy and uncomfortable after a while, even though I loved everything else about them. Great price, great finish and great accuracy, for me at least. I would love another but I'll end up flipping it as it's just too big. Seiko are fun and have endless options but at this end of the market, they can be a bit bland and the movements are crude but work fine. I would still prefer an ETA over the 6R15B at similar price points or a Citizen Signature model.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Bit late to this but I have had numerous Seikos and two Steinhart GMT's and the only thing that I didn't like about the latter, was the size. I have 6.5" wrists and they are just a bit too bulky, heavy and uncomfortable after a while
    That's my concern too.

I really like the look and quality of Steinharts, but the size is a concern for my smaller wrist.

Can anyone recommended a smaller sized model from them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Can anyone recommended a smaller sized model from them?
    Offhand I'm not aware of any smaller models from Steinhart!

They are pretty much a big watch company. ;-)

A great watch choice that meets your stated needs is the Seiko Sumo. It ticks all the boxes and is a joy to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by MintG View Post
    A great watch choice that meets your stated needs is the Seiko Sumo. It ticks all the boxes and is a joy to wear.
    +1 for that. Love my Sumo (orange). Looks great on a Super Oyster or the black rubber it came with.