closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: how to remove links

Apprentice

Question how to remove links

Hi, I have just purchased this bracelet from ebay. I cant see how to remove links. An email to the seller in india has not
    been of any help. I would welcome opinions as to how this bracelet can be adjusted. the link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381196289736 Many thanks

Banned
    Just take it in to a jeweler/watchmaker and they should be happy to do the job.

Banned
    This picture does look a bit odd. I would have expected the bracelet to look the same on both sides of the clasp. It looks like one side of the bracelet should be flipped over to have the nice looking side on the outside on both sides...

Journeyman
    Agreed jeweler is the place to take it and GrandS is right the bracelet definitely looks mismatched to me

You could undo the clasp, rotate the upside down half through 180 degrees, do the clasp back up then take another picture. Unless of course you took it that way to illustrate what the finished side and underside looks like in one shot, which is exactly what I would have done if asking for advice.

As for adjusting it, the four inner links would have to be opened up (bent) on the underside to allow the bracelet to be separated. Bend another four links at the length of the section you need to be removed, remove said section then reattach the first section to the what's left by bending the links closed over the pin again. A bit fiddly but it's exactly how a jeweller would do the job. If you don't have a suitably sized tool to pry the links open and close them again, then as has been mentioned take it to a jewellers to get it done.

Blog Entries
    Yup, one side is upside down in the photos. Whoops. That's not a problem -- it just needs to be turned over if it came to you like that.

As for adjusting it, it doesn't look like the sort of bracelet that is intended to be adjusted to me.

A watchmaker or competent jeweller might be able to do it by bending the individual links open to remove sections or even by removing and replacing the pins that hold it together but it would cost more than the bracelet is worth. I guess the watchmaker or competent jeweller of your choice might be able to advise on whether or not it is reasonably feasible when they've seen it.

May be way of here but I think I have seen one similar where one of the 'rivited' ends is removavble by either unscrewing or popping it off similar to a tube friction pin but as I say that may be completely wrong so try it at your own risk ...

This is right, they are hammered in pins in the end.
    As to removing them.... thats the hard part. I worked in a shop that sold these, but they turned out to be such a pain to adjust that we discontinued them and never stocked them again. Something that doesn't help is that they plate over the rivet after it is put it not before!

The only way I found was to take a screwdriver (junk one as your going to hit it with a hammer) and place it between the head of the pin and the bracelet and hammer away till the pin starts to pop out a bit, then grip with pliers and remove. It's not as easy as it read and the heads often deform.

I don't think it is adjustable, I think these bracelets are sold as fixed length. I have the same or very similar and there is simply no way to adjust it. I took it to a jeweller who faffed about for 20 minutes but just ended up damaging the links.

Here's mine