• B-1

9 15.52%
  • B-1 Superquartz

15 25.86%
  • Other

2 3.45%

Thread: Breitling Aerospace or B-1 or B-1 Superquartz

Breitling Aerospace or B-1 or B-1 Superquartz

Been looking at the lovely Chopard Time Attack Ana/Digital watches again but these are thin on the ground and most owners complain that the highly polished surface shows scratches too easy so looking for a nice (Titanium?) alternative.

So far I've read a few threads on here and elsewhere about the Aerospace, B-1 and B-1 Superquartz, most rate the non Superquartz B-1 as being a good all rounder without the premium and reduced battery life; also the later Aerospace are also Superquartz (?).

If you were in the market for an analogue digital which one would it be?

Master
    The Aerospace for me, with the blue dial. It has a certain simplicity to it. And in my mind it has been cool as hell ever since I saw that Red Arrows documentary last year and noticed several of their pilots wearing them.

I voted B-1, as I have one.

If you get a SQ fine, but in my experience there's no point paying extra for it.

Most people seem to like the Aerospace for the reasons I don't, it's light and got a (in my view) fiddly single button operation (I suspect, for all the justifications, many feel more comfortable with a cheaper quartz watch too...).

The B-1 treads the line between being impressive and overbearing perfectly, imo, and works as you'd expect with a much more intuitive 'interface'.

All that said, you won't go far wrong with any of them and the choice between an Aerospace and a B-1 will be personal preference as much as anything else.

M

I know nothing about your choices.

But having looked at the various photos of the different models, I much prefer the simplicity of the Aerospace dial.

Personally, the others have too much info, that I wouldn't use, on the dial.

Forgive my ignorance, but do they all have the same features?

Master
    Having had many of both over the years my vote goes to the Aerospace E79362 version, 42mm with backlight, on bracelet. Robust yet light, the bracelet is super. I'm a bit of a sucker for Ti also as i love the feel, finish, colour.

The B-1 to me always tried too hard with the polished surfaces and on the bracelet was too "bling".

Banned
    The latest version of the Aerospace gets my vote, I don't care for the B1's at all.

I've had 4 Aerospaces, and consider the B-1 to be infinitely better in all respects (save that you might prefer something with a little less bulk); there's a reason you rarely see them for sale. I'd go for the SQ, just because.

Master
    My Aerospace vs B-1 count over the years is 3 of each, and I currently have the Aerospace Avantage.

To be honest, apart from the dual digital displays and analogue hands, they are completely different watches in look fit and feel.

I'd be happy with either in all fairness, but the Aerospace wins out for me as it fits the brief of an easy to wear and hard wearing ana/digi, and I happen to like the light weight as an alternative to my other watches.

I suspect you don't see as many B-1s as Aeros because Breitling didn't sell anywhere near as many B-1s. If rarity is your thing, and I don't think I've ever seen anybody wearing one, that might swing it.

Master
    Having owned them all (several times over), I'd say that the Aerospace looks better but is far harder to operate than the B1.

There's not much in it really - if you want something a bit shiny then the B1, if you want something that looks far more utilitarian then go with the Aerospace.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    ...they are completely different watches...
    Agree

Journeyman

Aerospace

Always come back to my Aerospace for comfort and light weight - superb.

Aerospace - I like the extra WR, the titanium and discreet size.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of the aerospace dial, but the B1 also gets great reviews from owners.
    Very happy with my Evo but I am sure they are both excellent.

Aerospace. One of the few true modern classics.

As a former owner of an Aerospace and of a B-1 SQ I voted for the latter. Fantastic watch.

Master
    I have been after an ana digital watch for some time and nearly every time i have been put off a number of them (not just Breitling) because they are difficult to operate whilst on the wrists including the Aerospace.

I have not had the pleasure to try the B1 but the reviews seems to be excellent.

However one watch i have tried recently that does work well on the wrist is the new Omega X 33 but not every ones cup of tea.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYB151 View Post
    Always come back to my Aerospace for comfort and light weight - superb.
    100% agree.

Master
    Aerospace for me, just a superb looking watch and very comfortable to wear.
    Definitely a future classic.

Blog Entries
    B-1 SQ gets my vote. I tried the Aero but just can't get on with the fiddly single crown operation. They are quite different watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    I know nothing about your choices.

But having looked at the various photos of the different models, I much prefer the simplicity of the Aerospace dial.

Personally, the others have too much info, that I wouldn't use, on the dial.

Forgive my ignorance, but do they all have the same features?
    I thought so but now I'm not so sure, ditto the Chronospace.

Thanks for all of your comments, I thought I was picking similar watches (ditto the Chronospace) but it seems that they have different personalities, the thread was largely fuelled by my liking of Analogue/Digital and also looking into something with a Titanium option.

Keep the opinions coming, in the meantime I'll double check the movements over at Breitlingsource (as I thought all of the Chronometre models were SuperQuartz).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    B-1 SQ gets my vote. I tried the Aero but just can't get on with the fiddly single crown operation.
    You've made a very interesting point MartynJC, I hadn't actually thought about the use of the functions. The extra buttons (particularly for the Chronograph function) make more sense.

There's a nice B-1 in Watchfinders in the Royal Exchange at the moment.

I'm not recommending them and I think it's a bit dear, at £1895, but the blue dial is lovely.

M.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    If you use the functions a lot, the b-1 is easier to use but the aerospace is my favourite as I only use the second time zone on display, as a gmt.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    If you use the functions a lot, the b-1 is easier to use but the aerospace is my favourite as I only use the second time zone on display, as a gmt.
    +1. The Aerospace is probably the best ana-digi (including all makes and models) if you only have occasional use for the functions.

Journeyman
    I've just traded my B-1 SQ after 8 years. Great watch. I had the black face which looked the business with a black leather strap. It IS big (43.5 / 16.5 or so), weighty and shiny, and DOES have a busy dial with all the slide rule markings, but it's got loads of useful features, the extra pushers make it easy to use, and the accuracy (if you are interested in that kind of thing) was amazing. Whoever picks mine up in due course is going to get a mint example and I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There's a nice B-1 in Watchfinders in the Royal Exchange at the moment.

I'm not recommending them and I think it's a bit dear, at £1895, but the blue dial is lovely.

M.
    Thank you I've seen a few at this price point (inc SQ), all with boxes and papers, for a bit more you can get the Airwolf Ravens which look like an interesting alternative.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Chopard MF or Omega Skywalker but keep the B1 comments coming, still undecided!

Master
    As per my previous thread i am considering an ana digital watch but for the life of me cannot understand why anyone who uses all the features via a single crown can recommend either a Breitling other than the B1 or any other brand that uses the same functions via a single crown/button.

Depends on your budget but if you intend to use all the functions consider a watch that is more user friendly from the Hamilton ana digital at around £500 up to my No 1 option the new Omega X33 although it is rather pricey.

P.S. I think the Chopard Time Attack Ana/Digital is a good choice.

Journeyman
    I would go along with the Aerospace, too much shine on the B1 for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Thank you I've seen a few at this price point (inc SQ), all with boxes and papers, for a bit more you can get the Airwolf Ravens which look like an interesting alternative.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Chopard MF or Omega Skywalker but keep the B1 comments coming, still undecided!
    If you want truelly functional and titanium go for the original omega x-33 or if you can afford it the new SkyWalker. If you want steel then go for the b-1. I wrote a comparison of the two maybe do a google search will find it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I wrote a comparison of the two maybe do a google search will find it.
    Thanks, I've found a PDF with the date 2006. Nice, it's also written in the same style as me, I'm a analysis, comparison and chart freak!

Breitling Aerospace or B-1 or B-1 Superquartz

I find the X33 a bit space cadet for my taste.

With the black dial the screens on the b1 virtually vanish when not in use, making it look like a conventional watch.

To those who say it looks big and blingy, it didn't next to some more recent ana-digi Breitlings, it looked positively compact and restrained

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    I've owned both, in fact 2 B-1s.

As stated, the SQ doesn't make much difference with the B-1 IMO, my non-SQ lost a single second in a year.

The aerospace is a good watch but for me the riders on the bezel drove me insane.

The B-1 is one of the watches I miss the most so I would vote for that in either guise.