closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: S5 v M3

S5 v M3

I like the look of these 2 models,both have v8s,I would like to hear opinions from owners or past owners ,maybe someone as owned both and can give me a comparison,I.e running costs ,which is best to drive.Ive previously had an e46 m3,what they like compared to these,cheers mick

Master
    I've driven neither, but the four wheel drive v rear wheel drive difference would be the deciding factor for me.

Master
    Are we talking new or use? Both previous models were V8 but both new models are 6 cylinder affairs.

Master
    I have the e92 m3 coupe, very impressive, never driven the S5 but all the feedback I have had is that the m3 is better. Not cheap to run, loves all the usual stuff like tyres and petrol and servicing at BMW isnt cheap, sounds wonderful with the m performance exhaust fitted, can be a handful in the wet. Plenty of good reading on the M3 Cutters forum with comparisons between it and various other performance machinery including the S5.

Master
    My dad has had the two previous generation m3 models and far preferred the e9x model. The dual clutch gearbox is much better in the e9x and who can resist that delicious v8. Did numerous track days in each and the e9x was more fun. Brakes and tyres took a hammering but hey ho.

Audis alway seem a bit clinical for me and the m3 saloon is much more practical with 5 doors.

Good luck with your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Are we talking new or use? Both previous models were V8 but both new models are 6 cylinder affairs.
    Used

Master
    As stated with the M3 V8 you must get the DCT gearbox, far better than manual and quicker, if you go for a coupe try and get one with the Competition Pack ( big wheels, lowered,modified TC and EDC) but they are getting harder to find.

Blog Entries
    One of my relatives has a Performance Edition version - an amazing car; can be a relatively docile everyday coupe and at the press of a button, becomes an all out racer. The sound of the V8 is to die for, plus the way it just revs and revs.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    One of my relatives has a Performance Edition version - an amazing car; can be a relatively docile everyday coupe and at the press of a button, becomes an all out racer. The sound of the V8 is to die for, plus the way it just revs and revs.........
    I never knew that there was a special edition, is this the rather loud orange one with the spoiler?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    ...the four wheel drive v rear wheel drive difference would be the deciding factor for me...
    This.

Very different driving experience.

Grand Master
    Neither!

This level of performance is pointless thesedays. Only justification is the bragging rights and some sort of feelgood factor. The lesser versions of either car are perfectly adequate in the real world.......and that's where most of us live whether we like it or not. The mythical motoring dreamland where these cars would be worth owning doesn`t exist.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th March 2015 at 18:20.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Audi is a bit bland imho. Thirst aside it would be the M3 all day long for noise and just all round driving enjoyment, what a about a C63, with a new one on the was they have to be worth a look used.
    Last edited by Middo; 15th March 2015 at 21:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I never knew that there was a special edition, is this the rather loud orange one with the spoiler?
    No thats the M3 GTS, very rare and you would be lucky to see much change from £90k for a good one. There are special edition M3's but they are mainly fancy colour schemes, all have 420 bhp and with DCT they quote 0-62mph as 4.6 secs which feels like it in mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Neither!

This level of performance is pointless thesedays. Only justification is the bragging rights and some sort of feelgood factor. The lesser versions of either car are perfectly adequate in the real world.......and that's where most of us live whether we like it or not. The mythical motoring dreamland where these cars would be worth owning doesn`t exist.

Paul
    Just like having nice watches, people buy nice (fast) cars.

I think you either get 'it' or you don't.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Audi is a bit bland imho. Thirst aside it would be the M3 all day long for novice and just all round driving enjoyment, what a about a C63, with a new one on the was they have to be worth a look used.
    Agreed, c63 all day long if you want a V8. M3s were never meant to be V8s. Audis are well..........no, with the possible exception of the RS5, which would still be third choice after Merc and BM.
    Last edited by Skyman; 15th March 2015 at 19:16.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just like having nice watches, people buy nice (fast) cars.

No doubt about it.

You will need to go RS to get the Audi equivalent of an M3

Craftsman
    I've had an E46 M3 and a 2008 V8 S5, and even though I was never that impressed with the M3 (sure it was quick, but I came into it from an Elise so it just felt numb where feedback was concerned), in my opinion it would run rings around the Audi. I don't think the S5 even compares with the M3 and even if you were considering one against a 330, I'd still take the Beemer. Took a pretty big hit to get rid of mine after 6 months and I can't imagine ever buying another Audi.

So, do yourself a favour and get the M3.

DS

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Audi is a bit bland imho. Thirst aside it would be the M3 all day long for novice and just all round driving enjoyment, what a about a C63, with a new one on the was they have to be worth a look used.
    Weird , that's exactly how I feel about BMW .....I rate their engines , their performance and their fuel economy mix , but find them the ugliest and most boring cars around .

I had a top of the range X3 as a hire car in Germany a few weeks back .....felt like I was in a car from 15 years ago , same slant/oblong dash board and exalt same dull orange illumination ....boring as feck.

I do see things through Audi tinted glasses ...I'm a fan. However , I'd admit they are 'boringly german' , but streets ahead of bmw in style IMHO

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    You will need to go RS to get the Audi equivalent of an M3
    +1

Neither!

Paul
    Thank feck the question wasn't about Aston , Porsche or Ferrari ........why anybody buys these cars when a fiesta ST can do the job , I will never know.

PS ...anybody want to swap my Panerai for a Casio ?

Craftsman
    If you want pace and looking 2nd hand V6 supercharged S5 is the one to go - in real life conditions in UK it would give M3 run for its money and with a £1500 remap and pulley upgrade you're looking at 500bhp and 4.1s-4.2s 0-60mph times.
    If you have a skill and want to hoon around the roundabouts then go for rear wheel drive M3 but S5 with Audi Sports Differential will have some rear bias and let you oversteer if you push it.

Quote Originally Posted by mac83 View Post
    If you want pace and looking 2nd hand V6 supercharged S5 is the one to go - in real life conditions in UK it would give M3 run for its money and with a £1500 remap and pulley upgrade you're looking at 500bhp and 4.1s-4.2s 0-60mph times.
    If you have a skill and want to hoon around the roundabouts then go for rear wheel drive M3 but S5 with Audi Sports Differential will have some rear bias and let you oversteer if you push it.
    I would tend to agree .....I've had a v6 S5 and currently own a B8 v8 RS4 .....the sound of the RS is lovely , but the every day zip of the supercharged S5 has a lot going for it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Get a GTR MY11 or MY12, and mince them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Get a GTR MY11 or MY12, and mince them all.
    mmmm.....something about Asian and American 'muscle' cars that just don't do it for me

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steviefleming View Post
    mmmm.....something about Asian and American 'muscle' cars that just don't do it for me
    Not muscle, just delicacy and zen. No European car mentioned here will see the way a GTR goes. Keeps pace with a LaFerrari and all for £70k.

Grand Master
    ......or maybe just grown out of it

Paul

Master
    Not muscle, just delicacy and zen. No European car mentioned here will see the way a GTR goes. Keeps pace with a LaFerrari and all for £70k.
    Check out the Nurburgring times you may get a surprise, only 10 seconds over a standard M3 round a 13 mile track for an extra £10k with crap interior, your having a laugh!!!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Check out the Nurburgring times you may get a surprise, only 10 seconds over a standard M3 round a 13 mile track for an extra £10k with crap interior, your having a laugh!!!!
    Not sure of your source here, but you are way out. Look at this. The first M3 (a GTS) is a long way down the list and the E92 did not even break 8 minutes.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times#Pr oduction.2C_street-legal_vehicles
    Last edited by Skyman; 16th March 2015 at 14:55. Reason: sorry, link no workie

Master
    Looks like an old list, check you tube M3 E92 manual 7.36, best time I could find for a GTR was 7.26

Easy M3. There's something special about the M badge (not the M sport badge) but the S on Audi just looks like a poor mans RS.

Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Easy M3. There's something special about the M badge (not the M sport badge) but the S on Audi just looks like a poor mans RS.
    But you're comparing apples with eggs...

There are BMW "M sports" and M3,5,6 etc - The RS is the equivalent of the M badge for Audi.

S is a step down, so really the question is whether the OP wants the full 'bad-ass' M experience or something a bit more toned-down for day to day use.

M

Master
    Audi S5 for interior quality. M3 for everything else. There's no comparison really. The S5 is a 335i competitor. The RS5 is the M3 competitor.

I considered an S5 before buying my (long departed) E92 M3. If you want a focussed drivers car for road and track then the M3 blows the S5 out of the water. However I think for a nice every day commuting car that is comfortable and fast then the S5 may be for you.
    Last edited by MrBanks; 16th March 2015 at 16:03.

Master
    Neither!
    Paul
    I can certainly see where you're coming from Paul & thought similar before trying an e92 M3.
    Drove it out from town into the suburb's of North East Manchester, initially thought this is too big & comfy to be any fun, I was driving an Mx5 at the time. However, as soon as we hit some slightly twisty roads around medlock valley it felt like it shrank around me just like a more powerful Mx5.
    I suddenly realised how much fun I was having when I noticed I was trying to heel & toe, in a borrowed car, I'd only driven 3miles.
    That's how good the e92 M3 is! A proper Jackal & Hyde car.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Looks like an old list, check you tube M3 E92 manual 7.36, best time I could find for a GTR was 7.26
    Seems fast given that the far quicker M4 can only lap at 7.50?

Master
    Seems fast given that the far quicker M4 can only lap at 7.50?
    Agreed but with the Ring its 50/50 car and driver so it depends who has been doing the driving! If it was me doing the driving it would probably be closer to 15 minutes!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Agreed but with the Ring its 50/50 car and driver so it depends who has been doing the driving! If it was me doing the driving it would probably be closer to 15 minutes!!
    With ya on that. Let's enjoy what we got, and just pretend.

I think some test driving is needed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    I think some test driving is needed
    With the M3 try a DCT as opposed to a manual and make sure the M button is set on max. in the i-drive and that the salesman lets you use it, when I first went out in one the salesman didnt want me to use it, probably worried we would end up in a ditch! Enjoy!

Master
    Dream cars and dream drives that I will probably never experience and so, I recommend getting a 911!

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Dream cars and dream drives that I will probably never experience and so, I recommend getting a 911!
    It's a good shout. I'll be getting a 997 Gen 2 911 next. Only slightly less practical than a 2 door M3

Ive a quick drive of my friends V8 S5 and it just didn't do it for me the cabin was very high quality
    but there was very little feedback through the steering wheel and the gear box was so so .
    Great car for cruising up and down the motorway

RS5 is closer to M3. Not S5.

Very different approach to a similar thing. The audis are heavier and 4x4. The m is light and RWD.

M cars (in fact beemers) are a nightmare on mud, snow, gravel etc. the audis just work on anything.

Horses for courses.