closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: G-Shock - Auto EL not functioning

Craftsman

G-Shock - Auto EL not functioning

Anyone else ever ever had problems with this?

I bought a GW-5610 on Saturday, everything works fine - aside from the Auto EL just doesn't work at all. I've had other tough solars previously - so it's not as if I'm not operating it right.

Should I take it back and get a replacement? I've sent casio an email - but I think to get a replacement the shop I bought it from will have to order one in for me, and I just wondered if anyone had experienced the same?

Master
    I have recently received a GW-9300-1JF. The Auto-EL works fine but was turned off by default. That's about all I can offer I am afraid.

As above. Check it's turned on in the options... I turn it off as I don't like it and you can definitely do so on a 5600.

Craftsman
    Aye, it's definately switched on, and its not due to the presence of light either... Even in the pitch black it doesnt light up

Master
    Got mine on - I assume it says A.EL above the seconds?

Is the solar charge on the L(ow) - might be something to look up in the manual, mine is always on H(igh) so not sure if this is correct - but something to look for.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 9th March 2015 at 10:40.

There have been reports of a faulty batch of auto El switches on that exact model (discussed on WUS) - it might just be the tiny ball switch that is stuck, try giving it a good whack and it might start working (and don't worry about giving it a hard whack, the watch will take it!)

Master
    Has it got at least medium charge on the battery? It won't work if it's low as far as I'm aware.

By simultaneously pushing MODE + ADJUST + LIGHT you should enter the tilt sensor test mode, indicated by the TLT text.

Try tilting, when 8888 appears the sensor detected tilt and is functioning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    By simultaneously pushing MODE + ADJUST + LIGHT you should enter the tilt sensor test mode, indicated by the TLT text.

Did not know that - and confirmed it works on mine GW-5600.

Master

well that's my evening gone, going have to try that on all my g shocks

Craftsman

Wow. Good tip! Nope... I can't get 8888 to appear... I'll go back to the shop at lunch and try and get a replacement ordered in I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    well that's my evening gone, going have to try that on all my g shocks
    And then you have not even tried the other (3-button) combinations!!!!!
    I believe every combination has a function!

Wearing my 5000 right now and just tried that trick, the AEL was turned on and functioning but I just had to give it a go anyway. I've a 5610 as well...

Master
    And then you have not even tried the other (3-button) combinations!!!!!
    I believe every combination has a function!

Oh come on! Tell us more please!! At work without a G shock to hand right now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Oh come on! Tell us more please!! At work without a G shock to hand right now!
    MODE+ADJUST+SET[+] = all LCD elements displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    MODE+ADJUST+SET[+] = all LCD elements displayed.
    Excellent. Just tried this on my GD-350 (MODE+ADJUST+START), and it works (though it can take a few attempts to press all three buttons exactly simultaneously). Pressing the START button again displays '3403 1' (module number, and presumably revision number). Another press displays 'UTC +01:00' (not sure why, the watch is set to London time), then it's back to LCD test mode. One more press displays what looks like every other element.

On my Rangeman, the sequence goes partial LCD test, partial LCD test, full LCD test, module/revision, and "0:05" (firmware revision?)

I can't activate the tilt test on either watch, although both have the feature. Possibly just my clumsy sausage fingers.

Craftsman
    okay, so managed to swap the watch today no hassle - and the new one works fine.

I did notice that the new watch box came sealed, plus with a tag and the bag the watch was wrapped in :| presumably the first had been returned once already!

Just tried [ADJUST]+[SET+]+[SET-] together on my 5610 and it comes up with a blank screen with the letters SLR. It tests if the solar panel is working - if you take it from light to dark or vice versa it displays 8888.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Just tried [ADJUST]+[SET+]+[SET-] together on my 5610 and it comes up with a blank screen with the letters SLR. It tests if the solar panel is working - if you take it from light to dark or vice versa it displays 8888.
    Ahh you beat me to it, I was just about to ask what SLR was! Cheers!

I bought my 5610bc a few months ago, thanks to a heads up for a bargain on watchschop.com (link below). My Auto-EL worked sometimes, but on a negative display you really need it. So I contacted watcschop and they asked me to send it back, free of charge from the Netherlands. After a few updates they sent the watch to Casio and now I have a perfectly functioning watch :-) So for anyone who bought there with a faulty auto-EL, you can get it fixed.

I think it is EOL so getting it fixed is the only option, no swaps.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...C-1ER-%A387-50