closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with teeth - implants/dentists :(

Craftsman

Question Help with teeth - implants/dentists :(

Hi folks,

Just a quick question, has anyone here had a tooth implant or NOT had a tooth implant for that matter?

I've had to have a tooth extracted and i'm being faced with a €1k bill (the rest will be paid for by health insurance) for a new "replacement" tooth/implant. To be honest I think its alot of cash (that i'd rather be spending on a Watch) but at almost 32 - can I really take the risk in not replacing the tooth?

Dentists say that there is a risk that the teeth will move in time and cause all sorts of problems at a later date. Personally i'd rather avoid spending €1k and i'm not really bothered with the tooth that has been extracted - its not at the front(space is 3rd from the back at the top) and the missus has said she doesnt mind as its not visible.

Master
    Currently looking at implants, I need four, two either side bottom rear.

1000 Euro is cheap, if that includes implant and crown I would not hesitate especially at your age. Otherwise I gather that the surrounding teeth will move causing gaps, plus the lower tooth could grow up as it has nothing to grind against to stop it.

Hopefully some of the very helpful Dentists on the forum will comment, (and maybe do a deal on 4 for me!)
    Last edited by genesos; 6th March 2015 at 13:38.

Craftsman
    Genesos - thanks for your feedback, my dentist told me the same but i've heard elsewhere that its just scare mongering and they are thinking about their next Holiday/watch budget (bonus they get from selling the bloomin teeth).

My advantage that I didnt mention is that I have a crown on the bottom tooth facing the space - in theory meaning that the tooth shouldnt ever push upwards?

Master
    I've had a couple and £1500 is reasonable in the UK that includes the crown or bridge.Made by Straumann.

If you can afford it do it.

B

You only have one set of teeth and they have to last you a lifetime.

When I saw what my parents went through with the removable dentures of their day, it was a no-brainer for me to get 4 implants (at a lot more than €1000 each!) when I needed them a couple of years ago.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nt016 View Post
    Genesos - thanks for your feedback, my dentist told me the same but i've heard elsewhere that its just scare mongering and they are thinking about their next Holiday/watch budget (bonus they get from selling the bloomin teeth).

My advantage that I didnt mention is that I have a crown on the bottom tooth facing the space - in theory meaning that the tooth shouldnt ever push upwards?
    I badly chipped my lower left molar last year (3rd from back)

I then had immense pain whilst the nerve and pulp were dying.

My dentist gave me three options..

Root canal

Removal

Do nothing,

I decided on removal and the dentist explained minimal movement of any teeth would occur and the top tooth would not grow down to fill the gap.

I have yet to have the tooth removed as on removal day I was free from pain and the tooth was passed as fine by the dentist she will just keep an eye on it at my next checkups

Master
    I've just had a tooth extracted privately. With the consultancy & work done it was about ~ £350
    And it took over two hours, total nightmare!

The advice I was given was that a bridge is a bad idea so either leave the gap or have an implant. If I have the implant done it would cost about £2800. You have to leave the bone to heal for months anyway, so at least you've time to save up!

Craftsman
    I'm a fair bit older than you and when I had an upper molar extracted my dentist advised that it was perfectly OK to leave the gap (maybe he didn't think I had to many years left!) and it would be unlikely to cause any problems for the surrounding teeth.

I researched implants at the time and decided just to live with the gap; five years later it seems problem free.

Best to do your own research but I suspect implants like hip joints have a finite life that may be shorter than you think. Also the life will depend on how well you are able to look after them.

regards
    grant

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    I've just had a tooth extracted privately. With the consultancy & work done it was about ~ £350
    And it took over two hours, total nightmare!

The advice I was given was that a bridge is a bad idea so either leave the gap or have an implant. If I have the implant done it would cost about £2800. You have to leave the bone to heal for months anyway, so at least you've time to save up!
    Healing is done - and i've still not managed to save enough! Wife decided to spend cash on rénovations & décorations :(

I had a lower molar removed years ago and there hasn't been any issues with surrounding or opposing teeth.

A friend of mine is undergoing extensive implants at the moment (most of his teeth following a jaw infection) and he has been to hell and back with pain, operations, bone grafts and subsequent infection - the whole process is going to take several years to complete

Master
    This is something heavily on my mind at the moment, my teeth are a disaster.

A few years ago I was researching Romanian companies (apparently their dentistry is some of the best in the world) that could essentially replace many or all of your teeth over a residential two or three week holiday at relatively low cost. Fly out, get a tan and come back with rot free titanium choppers.

Might start looking into it again now that money isn't as tight as it once was.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcofZen View Post
    You have to leave the bone to heal for months anyway, so at least you've time to save up!
    Not true anymore and wasn't true when I had mine done over 10 years ago. One of the best things I have ever had done. Virtually painless surgery and feels just like a normal tooth.
    If you can afford it I wouldn't hesitate if I were you

I had my implant (the screw into my jaw) put in 3 weeks ago and the dentist doesn't want to load it (put the post on it) for 6 months. I had a lower molar removed 6 months ago following repeated infections in a crowned tooth with root canal treatment. Based upon my experience, unless you have excellent bone density, I don't see how you could get a number of implants done in a period of a couple of weeks. I have found the process so far to be straight forward.

Had three done a few years ago, no issues what so ever since. They were expensive, but it's some of the best money I ever spent.

I had an implant done about 20 months ago. The implant is placed straight after extraction but usually can't be loaded with the final tooth until 4-6 months. Time allows bone to grow round the implant and strengthen the socket. It was about 1.5 hours in the chair, no worse really than a root canal but with a lot more precision drilling going on.
    All was fine for the 1st year until I got an abscess on the implant, followed by bone loss at the front of the implant. The dentist has cleaned this up twice now but it isn't going away. I can either live with it or go for bone & gum graft to prevent germs getting between the gum and the bone. The implant will need extracting to do all of this, so there is plenty of pain and expense ahead...
    Unfortunately, the possibility of bone loss cannot really be predicted with any extraction. The alternative was a bridge, which with hindsight would have been a better and certainly cheaper option.
    If they work for you, they will be the best teeth in your head, but failure rate is about 5%.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 7th March 2015 at 21:09.

Just to echo some other comments,

I had a tooth extracted in 2008, and wasn't in a position to do anything about it cosmetically until 2011, during that time the gap remained constant and the tooth below didn't grow up to fill the gap

I had a two or three teeth removed at the back about 20 years ago and have caused a lot less trouble than the reason I had them removed (abscesses).

I originally had root canals but they wouldn't seem to take without trouble so I told the dentist to just whip them out.

Never had a minutes problem with the gaps since and had a bridge put in to fill a gap at £200 on the NHS.

TBH I think a lot of these dentists are trying to sell you very expensive surgery.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've had a molar extracted (2nd from back) and my dentist recommended to live with it for 6 months and then decide. He also said that he would just leave it personally, but if I wanted an implant then he would do it. A year later I don't even notice it. My dentist is a great guy, and has a couple of gold Rolexes which are not my taste but always results in a bit of chat.

Master
    it's fine leaving gaps but if it's your front teeth that's a different matter. My implant was a complete success and one of the best things I have had done

Blog Entries
    I honestly couldn't tell you, I haven't been for the last 25 years................(touch wood, touch wood)

But, if it doesn't bother you, don't be to hasty in getting it done.

It's the same with switching dentists, they tell you your old fillings are not good anymore and they have to replace them all.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Smile Implants

My friends wife had a complete set of implants had all sorts of problems as her jaw bone was not strong enough so she had cow bone grafted inside her gums to strengthen her jaw bone? costs £30000! he says its like her having a Mercedes parked in her gob.

Master
    Generally speaking, British dentistry is poor - in both staffing and equipment. Most of its dentists are only basically trained and the NHS system of finance was and, to a degree, still is responsible for the creation of small, semi-private-enterprise practices that are unable to provide anything approaching state-of-the-art treatment.

One of the outcomes is that much British dentistry continues to be 'oral navvying': digging holes and filling them in.

This doesn't mean there aren't good dentists in Britain, of course, but it does mean that the round-the-corner dentist, Mr or Mrs Smith BDS, doesn't have the training, experience, funding & equipment to practise modern dentistry. To a large extent, this is not his or her fault. It's the backwash from nearly 70 years of NHS dentistry.

In practical terms, for the punter in pain, there are three possibilities. Have poor dentistry, find a private practice in which the dentists have extensive postgraduate qualifications & training or go abroad.

Unsurprisingly, most British people have poor dentistry and the teeth to prove it.

Master
    India ;

not implants but I've been quoted £400 per tooth for crowns to my front teeth. Thats the top whack service with the crowns guaranteed for 5 years internationally.

Any good ? , the dentist has temp repaired a broken tooth and given me two fillings in the past ; total cost £25...treatment done same day I was seen.

I had an implant, lost it and never replaced it. Now the tooth next to it has fallen out. If you have the money for the implant forget a new watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I had an implant, lost it and never replaced it. Now the tooth next to it has fallen out. If you have the money for the implant forget a new watch.
    Andy, how old are you if you dont mind me asking? I could have the money for it (not far off) but to be honest, when I see how many people have had trouble with theirs - Im leaning towards not getting anything done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post
    My dentist gave me three options ...
    Root canal
    Removal
    Do nothing
    So, the options were:
    Save the tooth
    Lose the tooth
    Do neither

Mmm ... there is a fourth.
    Change your dentist.

I´m 53 next month. I got the implant at about 25 and lost it while diving, at 48, the tooth next to it became loose shortly after that.

Craftsman
    I've been missing a tooth for about 10 years now. Nothing has grown out / in / fallen out! Dentist told me it had to be done and it would be X thousand to have it done properly - which I could then not afford.

I changed dentists soon after and was told my previous was a bit of a one for advising work be done which wasn't really needed.

There was normally a Bentley parked outside...

Craftsman
    i had a rear upper polar extracted back in the mid 80's. Wasn't even offered option of an implant. Gap has been absolutely fine ever since.

Master
    I had my front tooth knocked out at the end of November, Had a Straumann implant put in January still waiting for my temp crown to be placed which is driving me crazy as I have a denture on a mouth guard at the moment which is an awful bit of kit!

Make sure you get it done by someone reputable. Ask the right questions and it should be perfect. If you need any advice or pointing in the right direction let me know as I work in the dental software industry so know lots of dentists.

Craftsman
    Had 2 implants for 4 teeth put in just under 20 years ago. Absolutely fantastic. Last year the teeth became very slightly loose. The implants were still perfect but had to break the teeth and replace with new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Generally speaking, British dentistry is poor - in both staffing and equipment. Most of its dentists are only basically trained and the NHS system of finance was and, to a degree, still is responsible for the creation of small, semi-private-enterprise practices that are unable to provide anything approaching state-of-the-art treatment.

One of the outcomes is that much British dentistry continues to be 'oral navvying': digging holes and filling them in.

This doesn't mean there aren't good dentists in Britain, of course, but it does mean that the round-the-corner dentist, Mr or Mrs Smith BDS, doesn't have the training, experience, funding & equipment to practise modern dentistry. To a large extent, this is not his or her fault. It's the backwash from nearly 70 years of NHS dentistry.

In practical terms, for the punter in pain, there are three possibilities. Have poor dentistry, find a private practice in which the dentists have extensive postgraduate qualifications & training or go abroad.

Unsurprisingly, most British people have poor dentistry and the teeth to prove it.
    As a "basically" trained British dentist, I'd love to hear where you gleaned all of the information regarding dentistry from. You obviously have extensive knowledge of the current NHS system and training requirements of British dentists...

Pretty much everything you have spouted is utter rubbish!

Where re do I start....

1) "British dentists are only basically trained"... We have some of the most comprehensive training in Europe and the rest of the world. Unlike other EU countries, we have to demonstrate clinical ability in all fields of dentistry and are only allowed to progress when deemed competent. We are trained on an increasingly wide range of treatments with a lot of dental schools teaching the cutting edge dentistry.
    2) staffing and equipment is poor... Rubbish
    3) unable to provide state of the art treatment... Do elaborate as to what is state of the art that we cannot provide
    4) postgraduate qualifications = good dentist... Rubbish, I am currently undertaking another postgraduate course but there are plenty of private dentists with lots of postgraduate training that will be no better that some "regular" dentists
    5) go abroad... Where exactly? How do you know the training standards of these other countries, what are their cross infection policies, what are their training requirements?
    6) most British people have poor dentistry and teeth to prove it... Ok, let's see the most recent dmft study showing decay rates amongst the population... I doubt you have them so would love to know where you have got the information from to back up this sweeping generalisation? Oh, and bad teeth in comparison to who? Americans?

I don't doubt that there is a small minority of dentists in Britain (not necessarily all British dentists) that are drilling and filling but equally there are extensively qualified dentists peddling their trade to those who are looking... As with all fields, there is always a minority that will spoil it for the good ones!

Ultimately, IMHO find a dentist you can have a proper chat with who will give you reliable information with evidence to back it up and if in doubt, get a second opinion. If it doesn't feel right, much like buying a car / watch / house take a step back and think about things.

Rant over!

Master
    I have an implant. My wife works for the Dentist who did it he's a Harvard boy. Didn't cost me much since my wife works there. I had a tooth with a root canal break below the gum line so it was removed. I waited about 5 years with the gap in my teeth (back molar) My teeth were beginning to spread apart there leaving gaps for food to get stuck so I had the implant done. Also, missing one of the back molars put most of my chewing on the right side so I started to have problems with the constant chewing to one side.

I can say it's better than a new watch and I don't carry dental floss with me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909 View Post
    As a "basically" trained British dentist (...) Rant over!
    A good rant, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    (...) Unsurprisingly, most British people have poor dentistry and the teeth to prove it.
    If indeed most British people have bad teeth, I must agree you lack a fundamental part of cutting-edge dentistry: preventive dentistry/education for the people. No dentist will be there to stop you from contaminating your kid's mouth with your mutans streptococci filled saliva (using the same utensils, stuffing your kids pacifier in your mouth etc.). No dentist will come to your home and brush your teeth twice every day. No dentist will keep your eating habits healthy and regular. No dentist will be there to give you xylitol after every meal. No dentist will drag you in for regular check-ups. You need to do these things yourself, and you need to be educated to know what to do. That IMO is state-of-the-art. Once your teeth are bad, no dentist in the world will be able to make them as good as healthy unmolested teeth.
    Last edited by Possu; 20th March 2015 at 08:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I had an implant done about 20 months ago. The implant is placed straight after extraction but usually can't be loaded with the final tooth until 4-6 months. Time allows bone to grow round the implant and strengthen the socket. It was about 1.5 hours in the chair, no worse really than a root canal but with a lot more precision drilling going on.
    All was fine for the 1st year until I got an abscess on the implant, followed by bone loss at the front of the implant. The dentist has cleaned this up twice now but it isn't going away. I can either live with it or go for bone & gum graft to prevent germs getting between the gum and the bone. The implant will need extracting to do all of this, so there is plenty of pain and expense ahead...
    Unfortunately, the possibility of bone loss cannot really be predicted with any extraction. The alternative was a bridge, which with hindsight would have been a better and certainly cheaper option.
    If they work for you, they will be the best teeth in your head, but failure rate is about 5%.
    After implant treatment, very careful post implant hygiene is essential to prevent plaque build-up and resultant post-implant infection. Post implant, teeth brushing by itself post is inadequate - also requires plaque removal/prevention on a daily basis e.g. via Kitty Hydrofloss unit which costs approx £80 depending on where purchased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32agNmj7wfk

I've had extensive implant treatment to upper jaw and would not be without my hydrofloss. One of my implants is failing but not because of poor hygiene - there is always a risk of 'implant overload' which is causing my current problem. This will require implant removal, possible bone augmentation and a replacement implant.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 28th March 2015 at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909 View Post
    As a "basically" trained British dentist, I'd love to hear where you gleaned all of the information regarding dentistry from. You obviously have extensive knowledge of the current NHS system and training requirements of British dentists...

Pretty much everything you have spouted is utter rubbish!

Where re do I start....

6) most British people have poor dentistry and teeth to prove it... Ok, let's see the most recent dmft study showing decay rates amongst the population... I doubt you have them so would love to know where you have got the information from to back up this sweeping generalisation? Oh, and bad teeth in comparison to who? Americans?

I don't doubt that there is a small minority of dentists in Britain (not necessarily all British dentists) that are drilling and filling but equally there are extensively qualified dentists peddling their trade to those who are looking... As with all fields, there is always a minority that will spoil it for the good ones!

Ultimately, IMHO find a dentist you can have a proper chat with who will give you reliable information with evidence to back it up and if in doubt, get a second opinion. If it doesn't feel right, much like buying a car / watch / house take a step back and think about things.

Rant over!
    I had one bad one in my teens who wasn't an orthodontist yet removed 2 upper teeth either side of canines to "make room" then fitted braces to me which were constantly painful when tightened,sharp wires that stuck out and into my cheeks/mouth causing ulcers etc.
    and when moved to new dentist he said it was such poor work and reported him to BDA (I have no idea of result but he didn't continue on for years but doubt I had anything at all to do with that)

Now some of this in hindsight wasn't his fault, I've since discovered in later years I am hyper mobile and therefore for those who don't know my joints,jaw and teeth move in gums more easily than regular people.
    So to answer OP even though mine move a lot I still have a gap there 3 decades later ....

I have thought about implants but rest of teeth bar a crown I have are basically OK so reluctant to remove any to get a perfect smile and enquired a couple of times about braces again. Found a very good ortho in Sussex but then moved away and funds eaten by moving costs but would loved her to do it as she was excellent and inspired confidence in her abilities and experience.

And there's the trouble.. I can get another motorcycle or watch for same money... So tended to spend it on that instead....

In 18 months or so I hope to owe no plastic money at all so will have a try again then ... But for us lot here there's always a shiny piece of metal that distracts funds...this time will have to be shiny bits of metal (probably plastic actually) that I sink cash into...
    Last edited by lordloz; 1st April 2015 at 19:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    A good rant, sir!

If indeed most British people have bad teeth, I must agree you lack a fundamental part of cutting-edge dentistry: preventive dentistry/education for the people. No dentist will be there to stop you from contaminating your kid's mouth with your mutans streptococci filled saliva (using the same utensils, stuffing your kids pacifier in your mouth etc.). No dentist will come to your home and brush your teeth twice every day. No dentist will keep your eating habits healthy and regular. No dentist will be there to give you xylitol after every meal. No dentist will drag you in for regular check-ups. You need to do these things yourself, and you need to be educated to know what to do. That IMO is state-of-the-art. Once your teeth are bad, no dentist in the world will be able to make them as good as healthy unmolested teeth.
    So true - and I have yet to meet a really knowledgable and communicative dental hygienist.

And I am no longer amazed by people's reluctance to spend £££ on good dental treatments. Most of them seem to think that NHS dental treatments should cover everything but are unaware (i.e. ignorant) of the fact that NHS constraints probably prevent thorough dental disease diagnoses (plural).

My own experience of many British dentists is that their diagnostic skills can be very lacking - particularly in failing to spot compromised root canals on X-rays. Also, I wish I knew which of the several dental surgeons who've performed root canal fillings on my teeth over many years did not advise me that the fillings were not completed properly e.g. were not filled to the end of the root and in one case only partly filled / botched after the root canal drill broke and was left in situ. - to be discovered by an endodontist years later.

We all consume far to many sugary foods and drinks and fail to realise the mini eco-systems they encourage in our mouths - where bacteria thrive and decay to both teeth and gums results.

And given the choice of spending e.g. a few £'000 on dental treatment or the same on e.g. a new watch - many will prefer to flash the new watch(es) than flash a healthy smile - unaware (i.e. ignorant) of their unmentionable halitosis.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 1st April 2015 at 21:06.

Grand Master
    This may be the scariest ever thread on tz - i'm getting the shakes just reading it. cannot abide dentists and have to be in dire pain to force myself into the chair. Even then, i have got up and walked out betwixt injection and treatment before now!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I was curious about this comment from above:
    No dentist will be there to give you xylitol after every meal.
    When Xylitol is a sweetener, about which I found the following:
    Xylitol is safe in the amounts found in foods. It seems safe as a medicine for most adults in amounts up to about 50 grams per day. Avoid higher doses. There is some concern that extremely high doses for long periods of time (more than three years) can cause tumors. Xylitol can cause diarrhea and intestinal gas. It is probably safe for children as a medicine in amounts up to 20 grams per day.
    I already knew it was a laxative as it's related to sorbitol.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    This may be the scariest ever thread on tz - i'm getting the shakes just reading it. cannot abide dentists and have to be in dire pain to force myself into the chair. Even then, i have got up and walked out betwixt injection and treatment before now!
    So true. I'm so scared I think I'm going to end up eating my teeth away with too much brushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I was curious about this comment from above:

When Xylitol is a sweetener, about which I found the following:

I already knew it was a laxative as it's related to sorbitol.
    Trust the old Wikipedia:

Unlike other natural or synthetic sweeteners, xylitol is actively beneficial for dental health by reducing caries (cavities) to a third in regular use and helpful to remineralization.[3] Multiple studies utilizing electron microscopy have indicated that xylitol is effective in inducing remineralization of deeper layers of demineralized enamel.[4][5]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol

The official recommendation over here is to take Xylitol after each meal from the time your first teeth start showing. Every pack of Xylitol lozenges, chewing gum and the like comes with a warning that overconsumption may have laxative effects. I've eaten more than my share occasionally and it does give me gas.

Journeyman
    I lost one in the same place went through all the options and decided to do nothing. The position means implant is one of the few option without some serious bracing and attachment to surrounding teeth due to the forced exerted when chewing. Spent the money on the new SMP instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    So true. I'm so scared I think I'm going to end up eating my teeth away with too much brushing!
    No need to be nervous about a visit to your dentist. The only painful aspect is when the needle is inserted to administer the anaesthetic. After the anaesthetic commences working the treatment is usually painless. When waiting in the surgery for your appointment take note of the unaccompanied and unperturbed ladies in the queue and how unflustered they are - and say to yourself, "If women can tolerate the needle then so can I !"

Many dentists are specially trained to deal with nervous patients and will do everything possible to ensure that treatment is painless. And it helps if you can try some auto-suggestion on yourself to convince yourself that the injection will not be painful.

If the girlies can withstand the needle then so should the lads.

And if you do not visit a dentist regularly, remember that the pain from a dental abscess caused by treatment neglect will be far greater and last a lot longer than the few seconds prick of a needle.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 1st April 2015 at 22:42.

Master
    Had some teeth work done earlier in life(at Manchester dental hospital) ended up in a proper hospital for a week with a massively swollen face which meant having a hole drilled up into the front of my top gum and jawbone to drain the fluid through a catheter and having Peniccillin injections every 6 hours for a week. The catheter stayed in for a long time after continueing to drain fluid.
    No faith in British dentistry.
    Went to Hungary in 2010 and had the previous crap work sorted out including 4 crowns ... total cost ..... £1200

Book a holiday at Balaton lake, hire a car, visit a health spa or 2, sample the local cuisine(all cheap).
    http://www.hungarysites.com/dentistry.php
    Last edited by K300; 1st April 2015 at 23:18.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Brushing by itself does not clean clean teeth properly. Everyone should also use flossing tools between their teeth and gums and additionally use an effective mouthwash … to neutralise plaque and prevent gum recession and decay.

dunk

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    No need to be nervous about a visit to your dentist. The only painful aspect is when the needle is inserted to administer the anaesthetic. After the anaesthetic commences working the treatment is usually painless. When waiting in the surgery for your appointment take note of the unaccompanied and unperturbed ladies in the queue and how unflustered they are - and say to yourself, "If women can tolerate the needle then so can I !"

Many dentists are specially trained to deal with nervous patients and will do everything possible to ensure that treatment is painless. And it helps if you can try some auto-suggestion on yourself to convince yourself that the injection will not be painful.

If the girlies can withstand the needle then so should the lads.

And if you do not visit a dentist regularly, remember that the pain from a dental abscess caused by treatment neglect will be far greater and last a lot longer than the few seconds prick of a needle.

dunk
    Only applies to me and a few others similarly genetically afflicted I know but being hypermobile one of the side effects/symptoms?? is that I'm resistant to local anaesthetic ....