closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was your first alcohol drink?

Craftsman

What was your first alcohol drink?

For some of us it was a while a go but can you remember what your first alcoholic drink was?

I think mine might of been a Babycham or sneaky sip of my dads pint!

Probably beer when I was a wee one, to be honest I donīt really remember. Cheers.

Either Bushmills or John Powers, something like that.

Craftsman
    I think mine was white lightning, it was some awful cheap cider for sure. I can remember the first party I went to and managed to get some drink off someone else there - it was brilliant!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Bottle of Eldorado (tramp juice), the favourite of Scottish youth in the 80's, or if you were real 'hardcore' you could have Lanliq and hairspray (liquid form) mixed together, to form a very cheap, high alcohol mixture, that caused blindness.

Last edited by soundood; 5th March 2015 at 20:45.

Mine was a half pint of bitter in the Edgecumbe Arms at the Cremyll ferry landing. Plymouth Breweries in those days. Absolutely the most ghastly disgusting horse-piss that has ever masqueraded as beer. I was playing cricket for Cornwall Schools and the match ended early so we wagged off and my more macho team mates took me for my first drink, that's why it sticks in the mind.
    Plymouth Breweries.
    It says much for my staying power and willingness to forgive that I am still drinking beer fifty one years later. That stuff could have put you off for life.

Craftsman
    Southern Comfort, neat, hidden in a medicine bottle, I was 12yrs old and at Scout camp. Never touched it since,

Cider...but I don't remember which brand. My dad gave it to me (age 10 or 11?) when we went to his firm's social cricket match. I suspect he may have been hoping that it might act as an anaesthetic for the home journey.

Master
    Babycham I am sure at a New Year'sEve party at my Grandparent's house. Other than that we snuck a sip of Bell's Whisky when our folks were not watching and we (my next youngest brother and I) were only 6 or 7. My brother loves his whisky to this day but I haven't touched it since. It was 35 years ago!

Brandy

I was 'prescribed' a teaspoon of it daily for asthma from the age of 6

No other medication - just brandy

Our GP was in his 80's and didnt agree with medication for this condition

Hard to believe but true

Wadsworth 6X when I was 13-it's brewed just down the road from us, it was an out in the sticks pub where the they didn't seem to mind, I remember having 1 pint and feeling a little tipsy however that wasn't the after effect I remeber as I was farting like a crow for the rest of the night.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 5th March 2015 at 21:21.

Craftsman
    Lovely spot in the summer... can't vouch for the brew, I don't think Plymouth Breweries exists anymore... may be for good reason!

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Mine was a half pint of bitter in the Edgecumbe Arms at the Cremyll ferry landing. Plymouth Breweries in those days. Absolutely the most ghastly disgusting horse-piss that has ever masqueraded as beer. I was playing cricket for Cornwall Schools and the match ended early so we wagged off and my more macho team mates took me for my first drink, that's why it sticks in the mind.
    Plymouth Breweries.
    It says much for my staying power and willingness to forgive that I am still drinking beer fifty one years later. That stuff could have put you off for life.

First one was when I was a nipper, and I mistook a Chivas and coke for plain old coke. Oops. Just a tipple.

Then it was Jack Daniels. I was a stupid teenager.

At the cricket club at age 11, 1/2 a bitter after by debut for the men's team. The old man was in attendance drink 5 or 6 pints telling me it's part of the game and you will get to like it, he probably right

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    Lovely spot in the summer... can't vouch for the brew, I don't think Plymouth Breweries exists anymore... may be for good reason!
    Fortunately it doesn't. It was subsumed into the Courage Barclay Simmonds empire in 1970, and the tied houses became Courage houses (you needed Courage to drink the stuff!). The brewery was visible across the water from Mount Edgecumbe; it is part of MOD land now I think.

It would have been a shandy of some sort.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Harveys Best Bitter at my local pub. Nothing has changed.

A sneaky swig of Dad's Guinness when I was about five.

Craftsman

Cool

A quart of Colt 45 Malt Liquor back in summer of 1972 turned things downhill the rest of the way!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_45_(malt_liquor)

Blog Entries
    Something you can't get outside the Netherlands, I suppose: advocaat. A mix of egg yokes and a little brandy. Sort of yellow eggnog - spruced up with double whipped cream and some berries.

Menno

Last edited by thieuster; 5th March 2015 at 22:56.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Navy Rum.

Standard cure all...Hot Navy Rum and Ribena...still use it now.

Master
    Bank's mild.

Pomagne I'm afraid

Mine was definitely a small glass of red wine. My parents, being European, often drink wine with a meal. I was dragged into the fray kicking and screaming but I succumbed, aged around 12 or 13.

I got really drunk on gin aged 13 and vomited my intestines out. Bad news for a type 1 diabetic. The first drink I bought myself was a pint of Brains Dark in Glebe Street, Penarth. The pub was called the Albion and it was a concrete Brains pub. Terrible. I even think it might still be there.

It would have been Gin and orange.It was my grandmothers favorite tipple.At the age of six I remember them having a party and me finishing off what she had left.First purchased drink in a pub was something called HSD.Hicks Special Draft and also referred to as High Speed Diesel.2 pints of that at the tender age of 15 and it was goodnight sweet prince.

Master
    Sip of my dads beer....yuk!!!!

Didn't put me off though :-)

Thunderbird Blue, or possibly Red. Some kind of hideous fortified wine which had the best alcohol to price ratio at my local Spar when I was about 14.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Something you can't get outside the Netherlands, I suppose: advocaat.

Oh yes you can! There was a TV ad for this stuff when I was a kid...

Journeyman
    My parents tell a story of me and my cousin getting drunk on sherry at a family gathering. I was 4 or 5 :)

Half a pint of draught Skol in a private drinking club, when I was 14.

Master
    A lot of people probably don't remember but I bet it was whiskey. Back in the day it was used for babies teething so I bet most people here over 45 have had a taste early on.

From the age of about 12 I regularly had half pints of my Dad's home brewed beer. Famous in our street because he had an annual Christmas party for all our neighbours when it flowed freely.

I then moved on to Cinzano Bianco - again at Christmas time, we had a neighbour who poured huge glasses of this when we visited. I still associate Cinzano Bianco with Christmas.

Master
    Sips of beer from about 3 years old!

My Dad got to me in the nick of time after I pilfered a can of tennants lager ( the ones with the girls on them).
    The hiss of the ring pull opening was what gave me away , even then I managed to chug down 1/4 of the can as he was dragging me out from under my bed!

After that I graduated to Advocat , babycham , home made ginger wine with lemonade , Shandy , then halfs of beers . By 14 I was pretty much a hardened drinker and could easily neck 6 pints in a couple of hours with no real outward sign of inebriation. I totally avoided alcopops and went straight into decent beer and single malt.

Whisky I got into from about 13 as I'd start grabbing a few shots from the various bottles of blend my dad had in the liquor cabinet. He didn't drink it himself ( not a big drinker generally).

I remember having a bar tab at 15 in my local pub and being a regular at most of the decent night clubs in the area. By that stage my Dad had made it clear than I would never get another penny from him ( it wasn't a punishment as such but the suitcase he found under my bed with Ģ1200 in it when I was 13 probably had something to do with it !) and I was expected to pay my own way , so I had a part time job and was pretty much conducting myself as an adult.

I'm now 42 in good shape ( pass for 32 I'm told) , like to drink but most definitely am not an alcoholic. Don't binge and generally enjoy a nice civilised drinking session with friends in exotic locations rather than pubbing it.

Early drinking caused me no problems whatsoever , if anything when my friends were being idiots at 18 I was much better behaved ( even now I'm usually the one carrying them home after they's drunk half what I have)

I think my Dad would occasionally let me have a sip of his lager & lime.

However the first drink that I bought was a can of Woodpecker Cider from the local corner off licence.
    I am visiting home this weekend, so may call by and see if the shop still exists - must be 28 years since I was last in there!!

First taste of alcohol was a sip from my dad's pint when I was 7, maybe 8.

First alcohol purchased was a bottle of vodka and a bottle of white rum from a corner shop when I was 15. By sheer coincidence that was also the first time I got drunk...

First alcoholic drink purchased in a pub was tequila when I was 17.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    First alcohol purchased was a bottle of vodka and a bottle of white rum from a corner shop when I was 15. By sheer coincidence that was also the first time I got drunk...

Lol, classic! or should I say

My dad made me drink potcheen when I was about 7/8. But he also used to burn me with cigarettes, so there you go.

Mine was a snowball, an advocaat and lemonade from my Nan.

First proper drink was a McEwans Export.

Craftsman
    Sherry at Christmas; I was about 13 from memory

We always had booze around the house so my first drink was De Kuyper cherry brandy nicked out of the larder when I was probably about 8 years old.

The trouble was it tasted really nice and sweet so I'd often pop back for a refill!

The start of a slippery slope.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Nanna would often give me a cream sherry. Brother used to give me woodpecker cider when he was babysitting (14 years older than me) . Knew once in bed i wouldn't be disturbing him once the girlfriend arrived.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Pomagne I'm afraid
    That's bought some memories back, made me remember Double Diamond, Watney's Pale Ale & party packs, Youngers Tartan Ale, Carling Black Label....

Master
    I had sips of peoples drinks as a youngster and also the odd glass of wine at parties, but the first drinks I can remember buying, was at the back door of the local cricket club, we used to buy Labbatts Ice by the crate, as it was the only way they would sell it to us, than we'd head off across the pitches and drink it out of site.
    From the age of 15 I was a regular at the local, and used to go in with the football club and also played darts for them, then just after my 18th birthday I went for an interview for a part time job behind the bar, the landlord was shocked when he discovered I only turned 18 three days before, I got the job.

Moscatel as a very young boy on family holidays to Spain.

There's an old photo of me propping up a hotel bar aged 5.

Blog Entries
    3 Barrels Brandy, enough to make you tee total for the rest of your life.

Blog Entries
    Wine with dinner.

Craftsman
    A 0.5 liter bottle of beer at the age of 14 given to me by adult sport fellows after an archery tournament.
    I liked the beverage so much, that I later did my beer brewing apprenticeship in that brewery and am now a brewmaster.

Like in that song: Beer was my first love and it will be my last ;-)

Rough Gloucestershire Farm cider at about 14 years old, when I helped to load and press the apples.
    Not old enough to know better, but young enough to get very drunk.
    Also took two bottles home of freshly pressed juice one of which later exploded in the pantry causing panic followed by more hassle.

Ah, memories! (Or lack of)

I remember being given tastes of wine and beer by my parents at a young age, but finding the taste revolting.

I also remember raiding the drinks cupboard when they were out, at about 10 years old, and doing a bit of tasting, but again, I found things like whisky, rum, sherry, and whatever else was in there pretty disgusting as well. (Funnily enough Advocaat was the only thing that tasted half-decent).

First proper drink i had unsupervised was probably Old English Cider when I with my mates at about 13/14. We used to then mix it with Special Brew to make snakebite, got completely hammered, and wondered why we felt terrible the morning after.

The girls used to buy large bottles of Cinzano, get completely hammered and wonder why they felt terrible the day morning after.

At about the same time we also bought vodka and Bacardi, which the offy's used to sell on draft, and even sherry - which we worked out give us the most units of alcohol per Ģ spent. We had no idea about how much of these we could handle, so subsequently got completely hammered and wondered why we felt terrible the morning after. (Bit of a pattern here, but we were too hell-bent in getting hammered to notice).

Thunderbird (was it blue that was stronger?) was also experimented with, but that seemed to be nutters only.

I remember absolutely hating the taste of beer until I was about 17/18, and the taste of wine until I was in my mid-20's.

I also remember that after some truly horrible nights on cheap spirits, feeling nauseous at even a sniff of rum for many years after.
    I am sometimes surprised I have any brain cell left TBH.
    Last edited by robcat; 6th March 2015 at 12:26.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Wine with dinner.
    The most middle class post so far.