closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad tale of a chap who's girlfriend 'restored' his vintage Rolex Tiffany DRSD for him

Sad tale of a chap who's girlfriend 'restored' his vintage Rolex Tiffany DRSD for him

Words can't really introduce this properly!

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/relationship...k_watch_and_i/

Full text:

First off, I want to appologize for all the errors I'm sure this post will have. I am literally shaking right now and can't handle myself.

A little background. My biggest hobby and a decent source of my income is from collecting/buying/selling/trading vintage watches. I spend most of my free time doing this. My favorite watch and prized possesion is a 70s Rolex Sea Dweller DRSD with a unique/valuable dial. Not sure if this is important to anyone, but maybe some people will understand why I'm so upset by this. I saved up for a while and spent years trying to find this watch. It is all original and was sold by Tiffany & Co when they had a relationship with Rolex. It has Tiffany & Co printed in small letters on the dial, which is one of the main reasons it's so valuable. None of the parts have been replaced or refinished and it is in great condition. Because of this, it looks quite old and doesn't really look like the stereotypical nice watch. The bezel is very faded, the dial is aged and has changed color, the case has never been polished so all the scratches can be seen. It looks like an old beat up watch.

I was on a work related trip to Huston, and my girlfriend texted me saying she had an amazing birthday surprise for me. I thought maybe she had a fun day planned or had found some cool old watch parts or something. I never expected what she had done.

I got home and she sat me down all excited and gave me a wrapped up gift box. I opened it up and it was vintage Rolex box, and I was really surprised and excited because she knows what my hobby is and I figured she got me some cool watch parts or maybe she just put the present in the vintage box knowing that I'd like it. I opened up the box and discovered that it was my vintage DRSD, my prized possesion. Except it wasn't. She had taken it to a local Jeweler and "restored" every bit of it. The case was shiny and polished, the bezel was replace, and worst of all the dial was refinished. She had also gotten the caseback engraved with "OP and Girlfriend" and our anniversary date. The dial is by far the most expensive part of the watch, and only because it was all original/untouched and had the tiffany dial. A refinished dial is pretty much worthless. All and all, the watch is now worth maybe 10k now. I immediately broke down. I didn't even know what to say. My prized possesion that took me years to aquire is ruined. I don't even know what to do. She thought I'd be really happy that the watch looked "new" again.

I understand that she was trying to do something really nice, but I am so upset by this. I'm not sure I can remain with her after this. Not jut because the watch is destroyed though. Vintage watches are a huge part of my life, and something I talk about all the time. I have told her a million times that the value is because it's all original. That the dial should never be redone, etc. She has even asked me why I didn't get them fixed up to look like new, and I explained countless times that doing that would ruin the watch and destroy the value. I feel like she just didn't listen to a single thing I've told her. Like every time we've talked about it she just tuned me out and nodded her head. I can understand if she doesn't care about my hobby but I feel really hurt that she just ignored everything I've told her. She is really fashion, and even though I'm not interested in it I still listen to what she says and have a basic understanding of certain fashion rules, styles, etc. For example. If I wear X with Y that doesn't go together, she'll say "Ugh OP I told you a million times that you can't wear X with Y" I actually listen to her and take an active interest in what she's trying to say, and don't just ignore and nod my head. Not because I care about it, but I care about her and want to be supportive of her hobbies.

I really don't know what to do. I get what she was trying to do, but it ruined my favorite watch and basically shows that she never once listened to a word I said. I really don't think I can stay with her after this. I guess I'm looking for a way to explain this to her without just coming off like I'm mad that it's worthless now. I want to explain that I'm upset that she tuned out every word I've told her about my hobby.

Pretty sad. Feel really bad for the owner but if they break up over this, there must be other problems in the relationship.

Master
    Oh no :-(

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Pretty sad. Feel really bad for the owner but if they break up over this, there must be other problems in the relationship.
    Disagree strongly. If my life partner was so out-of-tune with the things I value most in life I would remove myself from the relationship el pronto.
    Last edited by unclealec; 5th March 2015 at 13:04. Reason: Guilt complex

Though if you are valuing stuff over a person then something is also wrong there.. It is just a watch...

And clearly there was something wrong anyhow.. it sounds like they never spoke about their interests - if it was that big a deal I am sure she woud have been bored to death about it by then ;)

Ok having read it all the way through.. it sounds like bull... if he had told here that much - then she would have to be a complete airhead to do it anyhow.
    Last edited by MattH; 5th March 2015 at 13:01.

Seems like a troll. Where are the photos of the watch?

I feel invoking Hanlon's Razor is appropriate here:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Explaining the finer points of watch collecting while your girlfriend nods and tunes you out? That part rings true, at least.

No pictures, no truth.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Disagree strongly. If my life partner was so out-of-tune with the things I value most in life I would remove myself from the relationship el pronto.
    You value 'things' most in life, how sad

Master
    Pics or it never happened.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hmm I'm also a bit skeptical about the story lol

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    At least 'things' are not judgemental.

The nearest I've been to that is my good lady nearly putting my G-Shock in the washing machine 😃

Craftsman
    Now, where's my 'popcorn' emoji!

Master
    It's pretty indicative of problems alright. She wasn't listening even slightly to the guy when he had told her of the importance of the watch and the importance of originality. It was in one ear out the other with little to impede its progress. Or she din't care and was just thinking about herself.

One comment sums it up for me She took something you cherished and permanently made it about her. So what do we have here.
    She is either incredibly self centered or very very stupid. Both are deal breakers.

That would be my take and yep either scenarios would be a major deal breaker. I'd personally believe both self centred and thick, but more the former. It wasn't a present for him it was a present for her/them(more her). I've dumped people for far less than this, but along similar lines of self centred thinking. And it's not about the object, or Things > People it's about understanding, compatibility, actually thinking about someone other than yourself and common bloody sense.

No I don't. I value empathy, regard for others' feelings, and consideration for others. DUOAYWBDB.
    Having said that, I think the whole thing is bullshit anyway. Not that that prevents us having a good old barney about it.

Craftsman
    & the ironic part is that if he does break up with her the watch now has her name & 'anniversary' date engraved on the back of it!!!

Actually, you could well be right.
    This thread started me off thinking about my most loved possession. Not fellow human being, possession. And guess what I came up with.
    A hat.
    This hat has accompanied me through a lifetime of fishing. It was lost for a while but retrieved under very unusual circumstances. This hat has featured in the National press. This hat is so old and battered that it no longer resembles a hat. This hat could not be worn in polite company. If Huertecilla got his hands on it he would incinerate it on the spot.
    The thought of one day being parted with it makes me quite upset.
    If I had to choose between losing the hat or losing my wife or a friend, the hat would go.
    But it would be a bloody close run thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    At least 'things' are not judgemental.
    no judgement, just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
    It's pretty indicative of problems alright. She wasn't listening even slightly to the guy when he had told her of the importance of the watch and the importance of originality. It was in one ear out the other with little to impede its progress. Or she didn't care and was just thinking about herself.
    +1.

This isn't about the value of people over things. It's about people who either ignore or don't care about what is important to others.

Master
    Ungrateful b'tard

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Actually, you could well be right.
    This thread started me off thinking about my most loved possession. Not fellow human being, possession. And guess what I came up with.
    A hat.
    This hat has accompanied me through a lifetime of fishing. It was lost for a while but retrieved under very unusual circumstances. This hat has featured in the National press. This hat is so old and battered that it no longer resembles a hat. This hat could not be worn in polite company. If Huertecilla got his hands on it he would incinerate it on the spot.
    The thought of one day being parted with it makes me quite upset.
    If I had to choose between losing the hat or losing my wife or a friend, the hat would go.
    But it would be a bloody close run thing.
    Can we have a thread about the hat please.

I'm interested in the hat.

And 'hats the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Can we have a thread about the hat please.

I'm interested in the hat.

And 'hats the truth.

The forum's full to the brim with puns today.
    F.T.F.A.

I do not believe one word of this story

It's America, just sue her.

Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    I do not believe one word of this story
    Neither do I tbh.

bummer if its true - but I blame the jeweller

still even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.....

Journeyman
    This better not be truth.

she did it on purpose to be dumped and then to ask for alimony from her "rich" rolex trading boyfriend
    it's obvious

Something about it seems fishy to me & it doesn't seem to ring true. If it is true then the guy should be angry & sad that his girlfriend has done this but it's only a ruddy watch - deal with it & get on with life. It's only a man made object with no soul/personality (though we often attribute such things to inanimate objects) so it doesn't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

:)

Sad tale of a chap who's girlfriend 'restored' his vintage Rolex Tiffany DRSD...

I agree, this whole story sounds like BS.
    But the hat story clearly has legs.

Master
    Its BS, pics or it never happened!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The forum's full to the brim with puns today.
    It's peaked my interest.

Quit the hat talk chaps. Bit of a thread-stealer, so I will decline to elaborate. If only there were a thread about hats...........

Hard to believe but it could be true.

Maybe sub-consciously she wanted to challenge the "love of materialism" vs. "love between people" when faced with a tragedy - (when times are hard the real person comes out).

It's the ultimate test of a person in my book and I think she wanted to see if he would appreciate her attempt and love her for it (regardless of gain/loss) vs. the value of a watch he owns.

If he overcame his material loss and recognised the 'gesture' their love could have greatly strengthened by breaking material ties and elevating and appreciating love.

Maybe the girlfriend was reaching a juncture in their relationship, do or die. I think he failed and what is ultimately lost would be more than any watch. Such shallowness would likely repeat in further relationships.

Remember - he fully explained to her many times the value of watch and to maintain it's old impression. So sometimes, it seems superficially perceived stupidity can be an illusion and behind it can be a very very clever sub-conscious.

You could be right. I think she is a prize t**t.

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Hard to believe but it could be true.

Maybe sub-consciously she wanted to challenge the "love of materialism" vs. "love between people" when faced with a tragedy - (when times are hard the real person comes out).

It's the ultimate test of a person in my book and I think she wanted to see if he would appreciate her attempt and love her for it (regardless of gain/loss) vs. the value of a watch he owns.

If he overcame his material loss and recognised the 'gesture' their love could have greatly strengthened by breaking material ties and elevating and appreciating love.

Maybe the girlfriend was reaching a juncture in their relationship, do or die. I think he failed and what is ultimately lost would be more than any watch. Such shallowness would likely repeat in further relationships.

Remember - he fully explained to her many times the value of watch and to maintain it's old impression. So sometimes, it seems superficially perceived stupidity can be an illusion and behind it can be a very very clever sub-conscious.
    You what?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    bummer if its true -

Sounds a bit harsh...

Either the girlfriend is an overbearing control freak that wants to dominate every aspect of his life or he's a complete fantasist, or maybe both are true.

Craftsman
    This tale needs cross posting to TRF!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    bummer if its true
    It's the very least she could do in way of compensation!!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Unsure if it's true but if it is.. Oh god.

Breaking up would be harsh, but i say this with full awareness that I didn't speak to one of my exes for over a week because he made car cleaning rags out of my hoodie "because it already had a hole in it."

Maybe be I would dump her, thinking about it.
    I don't know what I'd do actually. Apart from cry.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Unsure if it's true but if it is.. Oh god.

Breaking up would be harsh, but i say this with full awareness that I didn't speak to one of my exes for over a week because he made car cleaning rags out of my hoodie "because it already had a hole in it."

Maybe be I would dump her, thinking about it.
    I don't know what I'd do actually. Apart from cry.
    I heard about someone who used his wife's wedding dress to wax the car!

Actually wait, that was Homer Simpson.

"Excuse me miss, you say you want me to make your husband's vintage watch look like a new one, destroying its character and value? OK then." Said no Rolex Certified watchmaker ever.

I read somewhere that the T&CO Rolex's didn't command a huge premium given that a) it is difficult to determine whether the watch was originally sold by T&CO, although a full set of paperwork will confirm and b) the dials were not printed T&CO by Rolex, rather standard watches were delivered to T&CO and the name was then painted / applied at T&CO.

I could of course be wrong :D

Chris

Giving it more thought, it is quite possible that this story is made up.

Giving it more thought, it is quite possible that this story is made up.
    It is the internet and I guess it's always a possibility. However it's quite a specific situation, and was posted in a forum about relationship advice (rather than a watch forum) and covering off a very specific type of watch. If it is made up then it's a lot of effort to go to for something that it was very likely nobody would even have noticed.

If it were posted here initially, or something like that then yeah, it'd be more suspicious, but the idea of something valuable and old getting accidentally restored isn't beyond the realms of believability. If he's suckered people in then it's not like he's got people believing something completely impossible.

Banned
    The lesson here chaps, if there is one, is do not bore girls with geeky man stuff. They. do.not.care.

It sounded believable until the point where it appears the girlfriend is still alive. I don't believe it.
    Gray