closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad tale of a chap who's girlfriend 'restored' his vintage Rolex Tiffany DRSD for him

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Hard to believe but it could be true.

Maybe sub-consciously she wanted to challenge the "love of materialism" vs. "love between people" when faced with a tragedy - (when times are hard the real person comes out).

It's the ultimate test of a person in my book and I think she wanted to see if he would appreciate her attempt and love her for it (regardless of gain/loss) vs. the value of a watch he owns.

If he overcame his material loss and recognised the 'gesture' their love could have greatly strengthened by breaking material ties and elevating and appreciating love.

Maybe the girlfriend was reaching a juncture in their relationship, do or die. I think he failed and what is ultimately lost would be more than any watch. Such shallowness would likely repeat in further relationships.
    To repeat Learningtofly's question. Ehhhh wut? This sounds like hippy dippy "love is unconditional" type pie in the skyism. Which is a load of what you would eventually step in if you followed a male of the bovidae family around a field for long enough. It's always conditional if we get reductionist about it, even if we normally convince ourselves it isn't. Indeed her "test" if it was such is a perfect example of it. She was engineering a condition to find out his perceived value for her in the relationship. But apparently that's OK if it's "romantic" enough. IME there are broadly two types of ladies in the world, women and Chick(tm). The former are cool and in the majority, the latter are to be avoided like the very plague. Other women usually spot them coming and avoid them and her stunt if it was within a sniff of your description is most definitely Chick(tm) "thinking" at its best.

Remember - he fully explained to her many times the value of watch and to maintain it's old impression. So sometimes, it seems superficially perceived stupidity can be an illusion and behind it can be a very very clever sub-conscious.
    Or an incredibly dense one. Depends how much spine yer man has going on and how much he sees this for what it is and shows her the door. Staying with that kind of narcissist or thundering eejit is a recipe for disaster. Plus there are how many women in the world who would not pull such a stunt? Millions. Better off with one of them IMH. Plus how many Rolex Tiffany yokes exist? Not too many. Narcissistic nut jobs are common, Rolex Tiffany watches, not so much...

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You what?
    TBH you summed it up L.

Though I'd still want to see before and after pics, which if he was that stoked about having this watch he'd most certainly have. Guys and gals into their watches can barely walk down the street without point a camera at their wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    "Excuse me miss, you say you want me to make your husband's vintage watch look like a new one, destroying its character and value? OK then." Said no Rolex Certified watchmaker ever.
    True CP, though haven't a fair number of vintage collector folks complained bitterly that Rolex themselves will often put in new dials and hands etc(and not return the original parts) thereby lowering a vintage pieces value?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    It sounded believable until the point where it appears the girlfriend is still alive. I don't believe it.
    This.

I'd be gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You what?
    He means she hated him really!

It's totally believable, women can be thoughtless in these things.

My wife even had our initials and a date engraved on our wedding rings!!

I mean, really!

True or not its just a watch

Master
    Blog Entries
    £50K? Really?

Its just a watch, true, but it demonstrated some real bone-idleness on the GFs part. To have that conversation a million times and go ahead and restore it anyway is just...

I'm shaking at the prospect of it even happening to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    £50K? Really?
    I was about to say that a 50k rolex isn't so unusual because there was a Comex one sold on the FS recently advertised for just under 40k. But then I realised that would be a stupid thing to say to you!

It's a toy ffs, he needs to grow up.

I'm going to write some love poetry on my wifes mulberry bags this evening in permanent marker.

I'm fairly sure I'll be feasting on meat and two veg for breakfast tomorrow.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Hard to believe but it could be true.

Maybe sub-consciously she wanted to challenge the "love of materialism" vs. "love between people" when faced with a tragedy - (when times are hard the real person comes out).

It's the ultimate test of a person in my book and I think she wanted to see if he would appreciate her attempt and love her for it (regardless of gain/loss) vs. the value of a watch he owns.

If he overcame his material loss and recognised the 'gesture' their love could have greatly strengthened by breaking material ties and elevating and appreciating love.

Maybe the girlfriend was reaching a juncture in their relationship, do or die. I think he failed and what is ultimately lost would be more than any watch. Such shallowness would likely repeat in further relationships.

Remember - he fully explained to her many times the value of watch and to maintain it's old impression. So sometimes, it seems superficially perceived stupidity can be an illusion and behind it can be a very very clever sub-conscious.
    If she had had a traffic accident in his treasured rare car it would be a test of his love for her if he asked about the state of the car first.....but knowingly wrecking your loved one's most treasured possession in the way described in the OP is not a good test of love

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sheep?....pig?......nope, bullshit, unless of course before and after pics are provided as proof.

Banned
    He can not stay with her after that, assuming this story is true. It is not about the watch, it is about listening end empathy.

Craftsman
    +1 for BS. No one would be stupid enough to do something like that after supposably being told dozens of times the reason why something is so special.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    What a load of tripe.

No way a watchmaker with the necessary skills to strip a watch and refinish a dial wouldn't know the value of the watch and the detriment of refinishing/engraving.

How long was he in Houston on business? 6 months?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    What a load of tripe.

No way a watchmaker with the necessary skills to strip a watch and refinish a dial wouldn't know the value of the watch and the detriment of refinishing/engraving.

Indeed, and - not wanting to be sexist, just a realist - if a woman brought said DSSD to such a capable jeweler and asked for it to be extensively "refurbished" I suspect polite questions about ownership and intent would be forthcoming.

Also, isn't reddit all about the images? Surely there would at least be a "before" photo even if the guy couldn't bring himself to take an "after"...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    What a load of tripe.

This! There is no way a jeweller capable of the work wouldnt have had a word with her.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I'm going to write some love poetry on my wifes mulberry bags this evening in permanent marker.

I'm fairly sure I'll be feasting on meat and two veg for breakfast tomorrow.
    Too right - your own meat & two veg, in the euphemistic sense of course. Whilst still attached.

What we should all be most upset about is that we wasted the time reading that load of fiction.

Master
    This may be one case where murder can be justified!
    I can't imagine what he must be going through

It´s a wind up.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    It´s a wind up.
    No, I'm pretty sure it's an automatic!

Master
    50 Shades of Grey was more believable than this story.

Master
    yeah i don't buy it to be honest. a watchmaker doing that would be like an artist drawing a moustache on the mona lisa...

Master
    I just think if she is really that uninterested in his hobby and never listened to him, why would she put time and money in to restore a vintage watch? Just does not seem to add up.

Master
    yep and just as a human i don't believe you could "not listen" on that level. My girlfriend has no interest in watches but because of me she knows her ceramic bezel from a aluminium one, she knows a reverso from a datejust and above all she knows NOT TO TOUCH MY WATCHES!!!

I'm having my doubts about this one...

Master
    BS Radar was buzzing a lot.

I can't blame the girlfriend for not listening to him - he doesn't half go on a bit! I gave up reading about 2/3 of the way down...............................

................................Yes Dear.

Seems unlikely to be true. Any professional watch maker that is able to do restoration work on vintage Rolex should know just how valuable the watch was and would have again warned the lady about it or tried to buy it off her...

Master
    It's a classic piece of American 'feel good fiction' for a supermarket check-out magazine by a journo who knows a bit about watches.

Basically, it's trash by trash for trash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    You value 'things' most in life, how sad
    I don't think he was saying that, and I think your post is unbearably simplistic and very patronising.

No, things aren't more important than people you know but it's not black and white. For example I love and treasure my guitars and watches, and certainly wouldn't chuck them all out the window to keep some minor acquaintance in my life.

Moreover if someone I knew, who knew me well, destroyed any of the things I love it would indicate to me that they had zero respect for me, and didn't care about my feelings. Ergo I'd have no issues cutting them out of my life.

Imagine ripping up someone's photographs, childhood toy, throwing away your wedding ring etc.

Of course things aren't more valuable than people but stop being so bleeding obtuse.

Thomas Reid
    I'm just a tad sceptical about this story.

My wife occasionally asks what I'm doing when I'm working on a watch. When I try to explain, you can see her eyes glaze over, and her mind turn to other things. She's much happier discussing philosophical problems about time, for example, in what way, if any, it flows, than she is discussing instruments for measuring it. In any case, that she isn't interested in watches doesn't mean that she lacks empathy. She has plenty of empathy. When I have a watch success, she is happy for me, etc. What she lacks is any personal interest in watches. Fair enough, I say. We share some interests, and diverge with respect to others. It would seem odd, and relatively self-centred for me to expect her to be interested in something just because I am. (In any case, I simply can't image her doing anything to any of my stuff, watch stuff or not, without checking with me first.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    She's much happier discussing philosophical problems about time, for example, in what way, if any, it flows, than she is discussing instruments for measuring it.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Is it theoretically possible for time to flow backwards, Bob?

I know from my basic understanding of physics that gravity slows time as does relative speed (I think, it's a bit early and I've only had one cup of tea - I could be wrong) but that it might actually flow the other way would be impossible. IIRC, Ben Miller gave an example of a smashed vase on QI. Once something has broken into a myriad pieces, it can't be reconstructed (apart from in one way that doesn't allow for the bits hitting each other or being interfered with).

Perhaps I should make some more tea. I'm probably rambling and I should be doing some work.

Grand Master
    Had I not had extensive Botox I would of raised an eyebrow to that story
    RIAC

Craftsman
    All that typing and not a single photo of the travesty. Rrrrrright.

I vaguely remember a lecture by Brian Cox, proving that time can be bent or slowed down but not reversed.

Not within our current understanding of the laws of physics at any rate!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I vaguely remember a lecture by Brian Cox, proving that time can be bent or slowed down but not reversed.

Not within our current understanding of the laws of physics at any rate!
    Imagine buying in reverse...

1. Leave random H&V post
    2. Send money to someone you don't know (no change there)
    3. Receive mystery watch, decide you like it
    4. Post photos of watch in SC
    5. Wear watch*

*I'm not sure the order of this is right. It's still early.

How long was his work trip?? Restorations usually take a while...

I wonder why people are so skeptical about this.

What does he have to gain by inventing this story?

I read it and thought, that must be annoying, but it's not going to change anything I do, think or say, so aside from an exercise in creative writing, what would be in it for the writer to invent this story?

If it's true, he's probably upset, if it's not, so what?

M

Craftsman
    He's an attention seeker living with his parents and spending too much time in his bedroom. As everyone says "Where are the pics ?"

Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    He's an attention seeker living with his parents and spending too much time in his bedroom. As everyone says "Where are the pics ?"
    If he is, he's achieving the required result

I don't care where the photos are - If it happened, it must be annoying. If it didn't, who cares?

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure it's an automatic!
    You should hang your head in shame for that one D. :D

Quote Originally Posted by nickspitfire View Post
    The particular sub he posted in forbids the posting of pics... but then this story has been reposted to several other places so he's more than able to post some pics somewhere, but has chosen not to. Making it a bit suspicious. Although he could just get around it by posting pics he finds of a regular SD as that's just going to look like his 'after' state anyway.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by even neve View Post
    I do not believe one word of this story
    Ditto

I don't believe he has a girlfriend
    Gray

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Is it theoretically possible for time to flow backwards, Bob?

I know from my basic understanding of physics that gravity slows time as does relative speed (I think, it's a bit early and I've only had one cup of tea - I could be wrong) but that it might actually flow the other way would be impossible. IIRC, Ben Miller gave an example of a smashed vase on QI. Once something has broken into a myriad pieces, it can't be reconstructed (apart from in one way that doesn't allow for the bits hitting each other or being interfered with).

Perhaps I should make some more tea. I'm probably rambling and I should be doing some work.
    One question isn't so much about which direction, but whether at all. If it flows at all, assume one direction. An alternative might be to think of it simply as another dimension. The other dimensions don't flow. We go along them. So, is time more like a current that we are caught up in, or more like a road that we move along? If the former, travel seems to be in one direction. If the latter, travel might be is either direction.

Basic equations in physics, from what I understand, generally don't give a direction to time. One of the few places that a direction in time shows up is in understanding entropy. It's entropy that is being demonstrated with the breaking of the vase. [1]

Best wishes,
    Bob

[1] Of course, these are the basic equations as now understood. If there is one thing that we learn from past experience, it should be that our current best understanding of things has a very low probability of being our future best understanding of things. ;)
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 6th March 2015 at 11:46.

Master
    I really feel for this guy, my wife (now ex) washed my favourite pair of Y fronts after I spent months building up a decent patina, bloody women!

I'm with the girlfriend here - I bet that it's a much nicer watch after being cleaned up.

But I never did get that whole vintage Rolex thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    If there is one thing that we learn from past experience, it should be that our current best understanding of things has a very low probability of being our future best understanding of things. ;)
    For some reason I find that quite comforting. We're still in an age of discovery.

I suppose it's a bit like the first six months of a relationship where there are new experiences to be had.

No doubt, at some point we'll figure this stuff out and those who come afterwards will be born into a more transparent but possibly more pedestrian world.*

*AlphaOmega may or may not have had a glass of restorative Syrah. Well, it's been a long day.