closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-25

PRS-25

Is the PRS-25 possibly the best Watch Eddie has ever produced, awful question to ask I know.

Maybe not his best watch, but certainly his best value for money watch.

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    No, it's far too big.
    I have one btw.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    No, it's far too big.
    I have one btw.

I totally disagree.. It's near perfect for me.

An Explorer is too small for my wrists, but the Everest is the perfect size for me.

No, it's far too big.
    I have one btw.
    Agree. Too big for me.

No, it's far too big.
    I have one btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Agree. Too big for me.
    00.17 in........ ;-)

F.T.F.A.

No
    (or maybe Yes)

Journeyman
    To my eye, the minute markers are far too long. But I've never seen the watch in person, so I'm open to being wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    00.17 in........ ;-)
    Haven't clicked on the link but I presume he says "...you have a BMI in the normal weight range"?.....;-)

Journeyman
    I think it's a great piece with great character.

Looking forward to owning.

Master
    Perfect to me in size and looks.

The size is perfect in my opinion (and i have small wrists) the watch has really grown on me in the short time i have owned it and it has hardly left my wrist

The dial is perfect, the case is very nice and i have always liked merc hands, it is such an honest wearable watch and the accuracy is very good too

Cant comment on others though as this is my first from Eddie

Master
    had mine a few days size is perfect on leather,i have 8 inch wrists and like the size with the bulky bracelet fitted but i can see it might be too big for those smaller wristed on this
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 2nd March 2015 at 13:30.

I find that if it's on the bracelet, the part of the dial I see is the part inside the minute markers. On leather, I see the whole dial. Consequently it looks completely different. I really like it on the bracelet though, and swap about quite a lot between that and a TSS Atlas.

Time keeping, comfort and wear-ability are all top drawer.

I love the look of the watch and the bracelet luckily my girly wrists are broad so I can get away with bigger watches I'm surprised no one has mentioned the manic rotor noise you get from the Miyota well mine sounds like it's got a turbo fitted. Changing gear in the car usually has it spinning at what sounds like 9000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackwibble View Post
    I love the look of the watch and the bracelet luckily my girly wrists are broad so I can get away with bigger watches I'm surprised no one has mentioned the manic rotor noise you get from the Miyota well mine sounds like it's got a turbo fitted. Changing gear in the car usually has it spinning at what sounds like 9000 rpm.
    I have to say, whilst it doesn't bother me GREATLY, that's my least favourite aspect of the watch.

M.

Master

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I have to say, whilst it doesn't bother me GREATLY, that's my least favourite aspect of the watch.

M.
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    +1!

I like to hear the rotor on mine whirring! Mind you, the "wobble" of a Valjoux 7750 is an acquired taste, and I like that too........... ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I like to hear the rotor on mine whirring! Mind you, the "wobble" of a Valjoux 7750 is an acquired taste, and I like that too........... ;-)
    I must be very insensitive as I can never feel the 'wobble' in my 7750 powered Sinn.

Although the wife's always saying what an 'insensitive ba**ard' I am - Must be what she means

M.

It's more pronounced when not on the bracket I find. Also when wearing short sleeves. But anyway, I like it. It's a very reliable movement and this quirk just reminds me of that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    It's more pronounced when not on the bracket I find. Also when wearing short sleeves. But anyway, I like it. It's a very reliable movement and this quirk just reminds me of that.
    I think you're right about the sound off the bracelet, I've often wondered if the watch could be made into a manual wind for this reason.

Its certainly in the top 5...I still have mine and its used nigh everyday. PRS 2 though has gained lengendary status.

I think the answer to the original question is no… basically because of the rotor noise more than anything else from my perspective. My other half sees me getting the Everest out and goes, "that rattly old thing" – then again she refers to the PRS-18 as the 'ugly watch' – so what does she really know! But as noted earlier in the thread, I am strictly forbidden from driving with it on. I have to admit the super charged noise produced by changing gear does drive me round the bend too…

But I think the rotor noise is an unlucky quirk of the case amplifying it.

I do think the minute hand is to short… and the minute markers to long. Also I would like to see more of a definition on the 5 minute markers and a slightly reduced SMITHS logo, if I were to have a wish list.

But if this all seems overly critical, I do love the case rounded shape and the crystal warmth and the distortion it creates… plus as a whole the watch does have a lot of charm and is very well manufactured. I do swing from total love to noticing the bits I'm not sure about. All personal perspectives though.

I have mocked up what it might look like with my changes, just as an exercise.

Original.

Modified.

Going back to the original question… I think the PRS-82 would have to be right up there with being Eddie's best, I struggle to find any fault there. It is utterly solid in every respect. Now, if you are looking at spec alone for cost, the Radio Room cannot be beaten. A superb case – my favourite of TimeFactors – sapphire crystal and ETA movement all at sub £250 is utterly stunning. It is a great watch. Now if Eddie was to use the Radio Room as a base and put and Explorer dial and hand set in, I think he'd struggle to keep up with demand! I would be first in the queue…

This thread has made me get the '25 out of the box this week and I'm having a good time weighing up all the pros and cons in my mind. Crystal reflections look fantastic in the sun!

Last edited by OliverCD; 4th March 2015 at 18:51.

Nice pictures OliverCD and I agree with you about the minute markers/hand your mod would be perfect for me, regarding the rotor noise I have a Benarus homage by someone I won't name here which has the same movement and no where near as much rotor noise so I wonder if it is to do with the case?

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post

Mine has been on this Zulu combo for 3 years, I've tried others but its the best one for the watch IMHO! Great picture by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Mine has been on this Zulu combo for 3 years, I've tried others but its the best one for the watch IMHO! Great picture by the way.
    Thanks Wildheart! I have a really good shot lined up for the Friday thread too… so watch that space!

I agree, this combo works really well… only transferred it onto the strap on Sunday and it has really swayed me to its looks again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    Maybe not his best watch, but certainly his best value for money watch.
    Agree. I really missed the date window earlier. Now, I don't care!

Perhaps mine does not work correctly as I do not get any rotor noise.

Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    Perhaps mine does not work correctly as I do not get any rotor noise.
    Nor do i, perhaps it has been addressed on later watches?

The rotor noise is a Miyota 9015 special "feature", all mine do it, 25, 68, Kemmner Tonneau, they all have the whizz.

My personal favourite Timefactors watch is the PRS-68.
    I love it and it gets a lot of wear in rotation, one of the few watches to go back on its bracelet.