closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does associating a watch to a famous person increase desirability?

Master
    [/QUOTE]

Alan, you beat me to this reference. A couple of years ago and very, very soon after he died (did someone know something the rest of us didn't, at that time?), JS's Rolex was the star lot at a London auction.

I briefly considered bidding the five figure wedge needed to buy the watch, with an eye on the publicity it might have won as a talking point on tour around my shops. "Come and see / try on Savile's Rolex" promotions came to mind. I quickly dismissed it as a cr4p idea - we all have them.

Save of the decade. Don't know where the watch is now.......

HM

No. Quite the opposite.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    This pic convinced me I need an Omega 2254.50.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lencoth View Post
    Guess some are different. It turns me off...
    That is just the other side of the same coin.

Not for me.

I don't want a Daytona, but if I did, it particularly WOULDN'T be a Paul Newman model, because I like the standard more.

M.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Alan, you beat me to this reference. A couple of years ago and very, very soon after he died (did someone know something the rest of us didn't, at that time?), JS's Rolex was the star lot at a London auction.

I briefly considered bidding the five figure wedge needed to buy the watch, with an eye on the publicity it might have won as a talking point on tour around my shops. "Come and see / try on Savile's Rolex" promotions came to mind. I quickly dismissed it as a cr4p idea - we all have them.

HM[/QUOTE]

Good swerve! I bet the poor sod that did wedge in for it was a little upset when the news broke.

Many people I admire have watch sponsorship deals. Sportsmen and actors alike. However, I have never thought of buying one off the back of any of these endorsements.

It's going to take more than Andy Murray to convince me to buy a Rado. I also find the Rolex/Omega/Bond/McQueen thing terribly trite.

On the other hand, celebrities aren't likely to put me off a watch either. Saying that, if Joey Essex started wearing Panerai and they used him in their marketing, I'd find it difficult to keep wearing one.

Master
    These 'celebrities' are, in the main, being paid by the manufacturer, or at the very least have been given the watches for nothing. The association with the celebrity is, in most cases, entirely false. So, you're not emulating the celebrity (or the fictional character they portray), you're emulating their manufactured facade; a facade which had been created specifically to appeal to YOU (or the broad demographic you happen to fall into).

It's a stupid game, made all the more stupid by the fact that so many of the people playing it realise they are and do so willingly. Worse than that, it demonstrates that the people most admired are sports players and actors, who've achieved absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Yes!!!
    The name is Bond.......James Bond.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    ...sports players and actors, who've achieved absolutely nothing worthwhile.
    I guess you don't ever watch sports, TV, film or theatre?

Banned
    Yes. The Dalai Lama has a PP and has had it for decades.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

HM

Good one. I would not touch JS's old watch with a sterilized 10 foot pole.
    Last edited by GrandS; 4th March 2015 at 00:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    I guess you don't ever watch sports, TV, film or theatre?
    I never watch sport, but I do watch television & film, and go to the theatre occasionally, but I don't see your point. Good actors don't get sponsored by watch manufacturers; popular ones do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    I never watch sport, but I do watch television & film, and go to the theatre occasionally, but I don't see your point. Good actors don't get sponsored by watch manufacturers; popular ones do.
    Ah, I misunderstood - I thought you were saying that athletes and actors in general have never achieved anything worthwhile, not just the ones who advertise watches. While I'm still not sure that is 100% accurate it makes more sense...

I don't think so. It does help to get it in the public eye for sure and it probably plays a small role in non-WIS watch choices.
    Sean Connery -Bond nato thing is a one- off deal. Vintage Rolexes have a strong appeal of their own, Bond or not.
    A recommendation from a fellow WIS whose opinion I respect would impress me more than any celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    He also has a Rolex. How does that feel?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    He also has a Rolex. How does that feel?
    Did he pay for either of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ...and man's nature to seek out peer approval on watch fora the rest of the time?
    As much as it is one mans nature to convince himself its possible to increase his chances of gaining the approval of loose women by wearing homage watches, bizarre hats and pursuing dull hobbies - then posting about it on watch forums the rest of the time?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolu View Post
    This pic convinced me I need an Omega 2254.50.

I now want one. Cracking actor.
    In all seriousness I tend to buy things I like rather than because a particular person has one.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Did he pay for either of them?
    No.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr TPG View Post
    Ah, I misunderstood - I thought you were saying that athletes and actors in general have never achieved anything worthwhile, not just the ones who advertise watches. While I'm still not sure that is 100% accurate it makes more sense...
    No, in my first post I did mean actors and athletes in general.