closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Harris Tweed Jackets

Master

Harris Tweed Jackets

Chaps

I need a couple of new jackets and am considering Harris Tweed ones.

I know there is a sub version called the Edinburgh Woollen Mill with outlets all over the place.

Quickie question, has anyone ever bought a Harris or EWM jacket and if so, what did you think of it.

Regards

Mick

Master
    " Harris Tweed" is the name of a cloth, not a manufacturer of jackets.

Obviously this cloth can be made up by any tailor from the corner shop to Saville Row. Genuine Harris Tweed is a wonderful cloth, originally hand woven by crofters on the Isle of Harris.

Quite where Edinburgh Mills comes into the equation escapes me.
    Last edited by BrianT; 25th February 2015 at 12:47.

Master
    Ok fair point, so after the minor wrist slap, is a Jacket made from Harris Tweed material worth the extra money ?

Harris Tweed is a fabric. http://www.harristweed.org/harris-tw...sland-home.php
    Edinburgh Wollen Mill is a store chain that sells items made from it. You can buy numerous items covered in it, including furniture, but any old fashion menswear store is likely to sell jackets, as well as most major retailers such as House of Fraser.

Master
    I am wearing one right now!

I love a little tweed - proper Harris tweed cloth must be hand woven in the Outer Hebrides from Scottish grown wool.

I'm currently sporting an Orvis shooting jacket with shoulder and elbow patches and an 'action back'. Bought this one for £75 in unworn condition from the vintage clothing store in Cardiff Market - they always have a good range stock.

Master
    I bought one from Amazon. Fantastic jacket. Shop around though, prices vary hugely.

maseman

I have one of the EWM tweed jackets.
    I think it's really good quality, though I've not tried any other tweed jackets.
    Fit is the best of any off the shelf jacket I've ever had, though I'm fairly chunky taking a 48 Reg
    It is pucker Harris Tweed material and has the authenticity label inside saying 'Harris tweed, woven in outer Hebrides blah blah'
    For the money (I paid £150 a few yrs ago) I think it's a great jacket (have the waistcoat to match, and they threw in a flat cap too). I'm sure you can pay double or triple what I did for a 'named' brand, but will it be any better? Material will be the same, theoretically

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 25th February 2015 at 13:07.

Craftsman
    Jackets made from Harris Tweed will vary depending on tailoring but they do tend to be thick and hairy, definitely country rather than city style. My dad had one for years, if I remember correctly it was relined twice before the jacket even developed a shine on the elbows.

regards
    grant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GRK View Post
    Jackets made from Harris Tweed will vary depending on tailoring but they do tend to be thick and hairy, definitely country rather than city style. My dad had one for years, if I remember correctly it was relined twice before the jacket even developed a shine on the elbows.

regards
    grant
    Certainly country rather than City style I agree Grant, but not all Harris is thick and hairy I assure you. The jacket I'm wearing (well, OK, hung on the back of my chair) is in featherweight and is very much neither.

http://www.barrietugg.co.uk/Harris_Tweed_logo_3.jpg

Hi Lads
    i think this is the logo that should be on Harris Tweed jackets
    i found mine at a Antiques fayre a few years back cost £45 ( so worth looking around) and as other posters have said not heavy or scratchy to wear, warm as a coat in this weather as well

Cheers

Wayne

interesting kettle terence

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Bought this one for £75 in unworn condition from the vintage clothing store
    Almost Snap, mines barely worn from Vintage shop in Manchester for £35.

You probably have to wait until winter if your looking for a new jacket, my favourite is the Nigel Cabourn Mallory jacket that he does every season...

http://welldresseddad.com/2013/03/09...allory-jacket/

Not cheap, but does often make the 1/2 price sales

I think the EWM ones were part of the mammoth exercise commissioned by Brian Haggas ( http://www.economist.com/news/britai...-loom-and-bust )

The best tweed jackets for the money are by Bladen - properly made in good quality cloth ;

http://www.bladenjackets.co.uk

You'll get what you pay for mainly.

Some of the usual Harris Tweed jackets stocked by tailors are very old fashioned in style and cut. If that is the look you want then no problem. John Lewis do more modern cuts in their own label range and are good quality. They don't tend to stay in the shops for long though so if you see one you like buy it on the spot. However, please be aware that fashion dictates that if you wear one of these you have to accompany it with a tramp's beard!

Marks and Spencer also do some good Harris Tweed jackets, very good value with some nice linings and details. For a more, ahem, fashion forward cut, Top Man do them sometimes.

I won a M&S Harris Tweed jacket about 30 years ago, and it still looks as good on me today as it did when new. That is, it didn't look good on me then and it doesn't now.
    No fault of the jacket; nothing looks good on me. Man at Milletts, that's me.
    But I do enjoy, on those special occasions, wearing my Harris Tweed together with some natty cavalry twill Stayprest trousers, a Tattersall check shirt, a pair of Church's country boots, and my Seamaster cal.565 gold plated on an aged but revived brown leather.
    There was a matching Trilby, but following a tragic drowning it has been relegated to fishing hat.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    " Harris Tweed" is the name of a cloth, not a manufacturer of jackets.

Obviously this cloth can be made up by any tailor from the corner shop to Saville Row. Genuine Harris Tweed is a wonderful cloth, originally hand woven by crofters on the Isle of Harris.

Quite where Edinburgh Mills comes into the equation escapes me.
    The weight of Harris Tweed has dropped over the last few decades....

I made a nice jacket for my Dad a few years back, and ordered the cloth directly from Harris, comparing it to my Granddad's tweed jacket from the late 1960's-early 1970's, it was about 4 to 5 ounces lighter, and a much looser weave. (It was still about twice a heavy as store bought tweed jacket material).

Try the Grey Fox 'blog run by one of our Forum members for ideas. David has a good eye for tweed.

http://www.greyfoxblog.com/search/label/Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    The weight of Harris Tweed has dropped over the last few decades....
    I don't think that's exclusive to Harris tweed and is probably more of a comment on the wider adoption of central heating. I remember reading something Bill Deedes wrote on the subject - he had some tweed suits that were probably made for him in the 30s and he couldn't wear them anymore as they were just too warm. I'm having a similar struggle as I need to replace my covert coat - I bought my current one in my early twenties and it has gone from gently wearing in to definitely and irredeemably wearing out. I've tried so many on and all of the current ones (including Cordings - the supposed originator) are paper thin by comparison.

Master
    Chaps

Many thanks for the information, I now have a much clearer idea where to go.

Regards

Mick

That's kind, Broussard, thanks.

Harris tweed is well worth supporting, of course, but there are many other makers of tweed in Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland - some quite small, there's even a mill in East London. I'm afraid the search function on my blog isn't that reliable, but I'm always happy to suggest other sources.

Tweed is now available in lighter weights. I too bought a vintage Harris tweed suit which was too hot in any temperature in double figures!

For modern high-tech tweeds have a look at Dashing Tweeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Try the Grey Fox 'blog run by one of our Forum members for ideas. David has a good eye for tweed.

http://www.greyfoxblog.com/search/label/Tweed

Even primark sell Harris tweed Blazers now, was very surprised when I saw them in there.

Harris Tweed Jackets

Yet another useful thread on a subject that interests me (I bloody love this forum!). . We have an old fashioned menswear shop near my work in Basingstoke called Slaters. I got two different patterned Harris tweed jackets there in January sales 2014 for £99 each (down from £250 to £300 each if I remember). I wear them to work regularly and they receive quite a few compliments. Love a bit of tweed me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just started being invited to game shoots, apparently tweed is de riguer

My neighbour is 85 years old and still a fit and healthy working game keeper. Had a few invites to participate, beat or just watch but not taken him up yet as always clashed with other stuff.

Master
    Oh FFS. Harris Tweed? How old are you lot?

If over 70 that's fine.

If under 50, it's a horrific Young Fogey signifier. Are you sure that's the look you want?

Plenty of Harris Tweed jackets in charity shops up and down the land. No need to buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Yet another useful thread on a subject that interests me (I bloody love this forum!). . We have an old fashioned menswear shop near my work in Basingstoke called Slaters. I got two different patterned Harris tweed jackets there in January sales 2014 for £99 each (down from £250 to £300 each if I remember). I wear them to work regularly and they receive quite a few compliments. Love a bit of tweed me.
    Do they still have the Tartan carpet in there… !!

Cheers

Wayne

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post

I love a little tweed - proper Harris tweed cloth must be hand woven in the Outer Hebrides from Scottish grown wool.

I'm currently sporting an Orvis shooting jacket with shoulder and elbow patches and an 'action back'. Bought this one for £75 in unworn condition from the vintage clothing store in Cardiff Market - they always have a good range stock.
    The owner is Stuart Talbot; we grew up together in the same street; lovely gent and some interesting items for sale. He is doing well and extended his shop. They have a FB page - https://www.facebook.com/HattsVintageEmporium

I'd recommend Brook Taverner.

I'd never used them before, but saw a few Harris tweed jackets on their website at the end of last year which looked pretty good. Add to that a 50% discount code I found (which seems to be par for the course with them).

The jacket I purchased uses a very nice and decently weighted Harris tweed cloth - it's done well keeping me fairly warm with just a medium thickness wool sweater underneath over this winter (although I wouldn't classify it as a winter jacket per se).

It was described online as having a slimmer fit than regular and I'd say it has a modern cut.

After purchase I took it to my tailor (Saville Row trained and very experienced). He was impressed with the cloth and construction quality and thought the original £300 very reasonable, and the discounted £150 a bit of a steal.

There are quite a few options out there re Harris tweed, especially as you spend more. However, I'd recommend Brook Taverner as one of your first port of calls. (I've no connection to the company, just a satisfied customer).
    Last edited by CamCG; 27th February 2015 at 12:11.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Oh FFS. Harris Tweed? How old are you lot?

If over 70 that's fine.

If under 50, it's a horrific Young Fogey signifier. Are you sure that's the look you want?

Plenty of Harris Tweed jackets in charity shops up and down the land. No need to buy a new one.
    Its a bit late to be jealous now , you thought you had the Harris Tweed looked sorted but after seeing this picture of you on a night out ... , but you did win the Jason King looky likey contest though !

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...IdSeYVbClTBwjK

Cheers

Wayne

Last edited by arthurDALEY; 27th February 2015 at 13:53.

Master
    Blog Entries
    REAL and AUTHENTIC Harris Tweed is the happening cloth right now.

To be R&A it must have the Orb label on the inside (obviously not on the outside!!)

There are good deals right now because its coming into spring.

If you want to wait, try some of the Royal Highland Shows - Game Fairs and the like!

A shop in Edinburgh called James' has a few on sale right now.

Enjoy the jacket - they are great both with jeans and polo shirt and with smart trousers, collar and tie

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
    I think the EWM ones were part of the mammoth exercise commissioned by Brian Haggas ( http://www.economist.com/news/britai...-loom-and-bust )

The best tweed jackets for the money are by Bladen - properly made in good quality cloth ;

http://www.bladenjackets.co.uk

You'll get what you pay for mainly.
    Another vote for Bladen Jackets. Great fit, cloth and quality. Solid construction. Generally can get them for sub £150 sale time. Better than the Gieves and Thieves one I spend twice as much on.

Are vintage Bladen good? Seem to be some nice ones at sub £100 floating around the internet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post

Its a bit late to be jealous now , you thought you had the Harris Tweed looked sorted but after seeing this picture of you on a night out ... , but you did win the Jason King looky likey contest though !

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...IdSeYVbClTBwjK

Cheers

Wayne

You got me ... the sideburns are a bit on the grey side now though ...

Craftsman
    May I suggest Donegal tweed a true connoisseurs choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zissou1981 View Post
    May I suggest Donegal tweed a true connoisseurs choice.
    Or, indeed, Derby.