closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Superocean vs seamaster

Craftsman

Superocean vs seamaster

After me completely having my heart set on a ltd blue superocean to use as an every day watch I made the fatal mistake of keep looking at people's other watches on the forum 🙈 which brings me to the seamaster black ceramic. Now I can't get it out my head so which would you choose for your next watch and one to be worn as a daily? I want a rubber strap what ever as I think it will suit me better for a daily

Seamaster would be second hand, Superocean is second hand but never worn and ltd to 2000. (I know the Superocean isn't everyone's cup of tea) or would you buy something cheaper for the rough and tumble of daily wear?

Craftsman
    I had an SMP and didn't feel it looked right on rubber (Isofrane and omega version), have you thought about the black bay blue?

Master
    I can't suggest which one of these two is best, only you can decide that. Buy the one you really love.
    Regarding the second part of your question, it rather depends on what "rough and tumble" your day entails. If you are a brick layer perhaps not, if you sit at a desk, why not. Neither of those watches will be harmed by sensible daily wear, they are dive watches after all. Wear it, enjoy it.

I'm a fan of both so difficult and lovely dilemma to have...I guess ceramic will be less prone to scratches but then Superocean can always be polished out.... If it's blue versus black I favour blue but as others above say ...depends on how you wear it and what for..
    . I'm enjoying the thread about having watches frightened to wear right now it's interesting what people consider to wear or not and to what level scratches and dings bother us..

Grand Master
    Despite being gussied up with a gloss black dial and ceramic bezel, the Omega still has a bit more utility as a dive watch and is thinner, more wearable. The Breitling is arguably more fashion-y, all rubber inlay and no bezel pip, fancy dial graphics and colours. It's rated to a silly 1,500m but a long way from the non-nonsense 1995 Superocean, even though it still sports an automatic He valve rather than the manual crown-operated one for the Omega. The Omega has the finer movement. Both are basically jewellery these days so pick whichever brand you feel better connected to.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    I had my heart set on a Superocean a couple of years ago but after trying one on this changed. I did not like to bezel and the bracelet felt quite cheap.

I like the Seamaster but it does leave me feeling luke warm when I see pics, however the price is attractive (especially the one on SC at the moment).

Like Neil has commented, I would be leaning towards a Tudor diver of some variety.

Craftsman
    That was another plus of the Superocean the fact it's blue, I don't like the blue omega for some reason 😳 but my avenger is black so the blue would be a bit of a change and arguably a little more casual.
    I'll have to check the Tudor out 🙈 more options haha.
    I really like the iwc aquatimer yellow aswell but fear this is a bit further up the price scale.
    Any thoughts about the tag aquaracer? Looks like a cheaper seamaster 😱

Blog Entries
    Paul did have a mint PO 42mm with stunning blue dial for sale not so long ago, very fair price as well, that's the one I would go for.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Gotta agree with Daddel. If its going to live on rubber the Planet Ocean is the one to go for.

Master
    I haven't had a Superocean so far but I owned quite a few SMPs and they fit my wrist pretty well (I know, this fact makes me a bit biased, not that impartial). So my vote will go to the SMP.

The breitling is huge..

Master
    I would consider a Tudor Pelagos around the same price as others have suggested.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    The breitling is huge..
    You mean the 42mm one? It is very thick (15mm) but around 4mm of that is the crystal needed for 1500m of WR. Depends if you want that sort of WR or not.

It's around 0.8mm wider than the Seamaster, although the Seamaster's bezel is a bit wider.

Journeyman
    Have you tried them on? If not, get thee to an AD! Try them both on rubber and see if that helps you make up your mind.

^ 100%
    Go and try them both on, that should help you realise which one you really like.
    I went SMP and I have a lot of affinity with Omega.

I'm no fan of Breitling, but would go Superocean in this case... can't explain why though, just like the look of it,

Hmmm, interesting dilemma. I've got an SMP so can vouch for the quality but never had a Superocean (used to own a Colt though, great quality!) but just to chuck something else into the mix.....how about a Longines Hydroconquest as a beater?

SMP, SO and HC all 41mm so size wise very similar except SO is thicker I used to have a 39mm HC and it was a quality watch. I only let it go to make way for a much rarer 38mm date only broadarrow Admiral with the same colour dial from the same stable.
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 25th February 2015 at 21:01.

Anyone got a comparator pic?

Craftsman

The superocean

Craftsman

Seamaster

Master
    I'm a Breitling fan - I have the older SuperOcean, the A17360 - but I don't like its newer iteration and for me the SMP is a classic design which wins hands down. (Of the newer SOs, that blue is definitely the nicest, mind)

Banned
    Both good watches, but I do slightly prefer the Breitling.

Blog Entries
    Not really covering new ground but:

I do like the SO but can't get around the lack of bezel pip - for goodness sake it's meant to be a dive watch - basically makes it a fashion watch. Have you looked at other Breitling?

which leaves the SMP - but on rubber the PO is better by a mile.

anyway try them out in an AD!

how about the Colt as an alternative? Even has a proper bezel pip! if you went for the SuperQuartz version they have a 10year battery life and could take a right bashing.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 25th February 2015 at 23:36.

Craftsman
    I am a SMP fan, its very practical and good looking. Would definitely recommend it

Craftsman
    Problem is ive got an avenger 2 so wanted a bit more of a diver. Colt is too similar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Problem is ive got an avenger 2 so wanted a bit more of a diver. Colt is too similar.
    in that case IMHO - the SMP wins, it really is a shame the SO has no bezel pip - maybe something will turn up at Basel this year?

I own an SMP and for me, that version isnt the best looking as it has the dulled bezel which is at odds with the face (or may be its lighting?)

I do like that Super though

An IWC on rubber would not be much more but you will only be able to use their straps and that is a costly excercise. However , the aqua timer does trounce the other two IMHO but it is quite a lot bigger and it shows on the wrist. Take your time and see the watches for real and try them on. I know how easy it is to fall for a particular watch based on the pics here - but it will save you money in the long run to try the watches and see which one suits you best. You might surprise yourself at what you choose!!!

Master
    I'm another that in this market would go for the Black Bay.

Craftsman
    I your right I need to try them on really, some good info posted here and thank you.
    What would you be looking to pay for the Iwc then? What sort of price are the rubber straps?

Craftsman
    I'm not fussed on the Tudor for some reason I can't get past the hands on it 😳

Here's a pic of my SMPc on rubber, if it helps:

Craftsman
    I used to wear a SO chrono as an everyday wear, blue face, and I loved it. Still do.
    Swap the straps out; rubber, leather, bracelet and its a watch for all occasions.
    That said, the Black Bay is getting more frequent wear. The bezel colouring, on the blue and red, is just sublime

There was an IWC aquatimer 2000 on here with the bracelet for 2475£ and without the bracelet 1750£

If you only want to wear it on rubber then it's feasible , but an IWC Velcro strap costs about 350£

Other than the lack of strap options , it's a lovely watch. I hate to add yet more choice, but had you thought of a Bremont supermarine?

Blog Entries
    Close call. Very similar. I would do the superocean personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    Close call. Very similar. I would do the superocean personally.
    Same for me. I'm lucky enough to have both and despite the Seamaster keeping better time the Superocean gets more wrist time.

Master
    For me, on bracelet Seamaster. On rubber or leather Superocean. But, in my experience:

- The lume on the Omega will be better.

- The servicing - in my experience, is WAY better from Breitling UK than Omega. Miles better in my experience.

And: you're lucky to have the choice, so you can't go wrong :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    The servicing - in my experience, is WAY better from Breitling UK than Omega. Miles better in my experience.
    Agree. BUK are a very impressive outfit.

Master
    I have the Steelfish but of those two I prefer the Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not really covering new ground but:

I do like the SO but can't get around the lack of bezel pip - for goodness sake it's meant to be a dive watch - basically makes it a fashion watch. Have you looked at other Breitling?

which leaves the SMP - but on rubber the PO is better by a mile.

anyway try them out in an AD!

how about the Colt as an alternative? Even has a proper bezel pip! if you went for the SuperQuartz version they have a 10year battery life and could take a right bashing.

Which version ion is that?
    I can't find it
    Neil.

Of those two I would go Breitling. My Chrono Avenger M1 is similar enough as your Avenger I expect, and it's similar enough to my Seamaster that if I was after something different I would go Superocean.

But I'd actually get a Tudor Pelagos

Last edited by Megatron; 15th April 2015 at 15:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Which version ion is that?
    I can't find it
    Neil.
    Ah found it...it's an auto not quartz.
    .....too big though at 44mm, 42mm or less and I'd be hankering after one.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Ah found it...it's an auto not quartz.
    .....too big though at 44mm, 42mm or less and I'd be hankering after one.
    It looks a lot like the older 41.2mm automatic, which appears slightly better made/specified (fancier dial, smaller but much higher WR):

What about the Seamaster 150th Anniversary Edition? All titanium and a gorgeous slate grey dial:

Got to find one first mind.