closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hi from an old un asking permission.

Hi from an old un asking permission.

Hi guys, some of you may remember me and some new members won't know me at all but hi to everyone.

It has been quite a while since I posted and those of you that remember this has been down to declining health which has not been good to me and at times I have been to some very dark places but I am doing my best to keep my chin up for family and friends.

I have popped on now n then just lurking, read a few posts then disappear as I do with that there Facebook which amazes me what people put up about their lives.

Recently something happened that has made me evaluate my collection where my sister & bro in law visited me and he asked if he could put stickers on the watches he wanted if anything happened to me, needless to say my sis gave him a right bollocking before they left but for me it was the straw that broke the camels back as they say.

i had every intention of leaving watches to family members but I could imagine that there will be squabbling and disagreements and I really don't want that.

So with everything that has happened I did not just want to pop up on SC to sell watches that I had bought in the past from forum members and I would like to sell them back to the forum as I know they will be enjoyed by someone.

I now humbly ask for the forums permission to be able to list some watches as I did not want anyone grumbling about me.

If this causes anyone any difficulty then I fully understand and just do not have the fight in me any more to argue.

Thanks in advance for whatever the forum decides.

Stu.

Sorry to hear about the situation.

I would particularly recommend flogging the ones that the brother-in-law 'claimed' first of all, rotten sod.

If you're selling less than three a week there's no need to ask permission, and even that seems a rather flexible rule these days. I say crack on, but there's only one Governer here so if you have a lot to offload in one go might be worth dropping him a line.

Good luck!

Master
    ^+1 to all of this.

Sorry to hear about your situation, and good luck with the sales.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

I would particularly recommend flogging the ones that the brother-in-law 'claimed' first of all, rotten sod.

If you're selling less than three a week there's no need to ask permission, and even that seems a rather flexible rule these days. I say crack on, but there's only one Governer here so if you have a lot to offload in one go might be worth dropping him a line.

Good luck!

+1 to that.

I do hope your energy gets up again. I too was in a 'dark-space' over the end of last year but all is good now (well as far as it can be anyway) and I'm back to posting on TZ to keep me amused. I'd only say, keep the watches that you want to wear and sod the relatives.

Good luck with feeling better and if you are able - do join in the WTF as well as SC.

All the best!

Martyn

Sorry to hear this. Eddie's your man for this but why not otherwise, you've been here long enough and have enough posts.

Blog Entries
    Welcome back so to say.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but as for the watches, follow the advise above, a PM to Eddie will do I guess :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    ^+2 to all of this.

Sorry to hear about your situation, and good luck with the sales.
    You don't need my permission or that of the forum to sell your watches. It's up to Eddie, not the forum, anyway and nobody in their right mind would accuse you of being a dealer/trader.

Keep the ones that give you the most pleasure and move the others on to people (on here) who will get pleasure from them.

Sorry to hear about your situation.
    As everyone else has said, there's no reason for you not to post and all I can say about your BIL is cheeky sod! I'd use much worse language but this is watch talk.

It'll be interesting to see what you have for sale.

If I had a BIL llike that I'd rather give them away or smash with a hammer before he got his grubby mitts on them.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances but glad to see you are active again on the forum.

Blog Entries
    Welcome back... Hopefully it was a case of your brother in law trying to be amusing and simply failing?

Sorry to hear that you've been unwell... And hope all goes well for you and yours whatever you choose to do...

Ben

Your brother in law is a cad.

Don't let his impudence affect your actions.

If you'd like someone to have a memento, then act accordingly.

My grandfather's watch is one of my treasured possessions and no money could replace it.

Sorry to hear about your health. If I were you, I'd make it clear the subject of inheritance is now off limits to all. Then you can rest easy having made the decision to do what you want.

Welcome back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    If I had a BIL llike that I'd rather give them away or smash with a hammer before he got his grubby mitts on them.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances but glad to see you are active again on the forum.
    +1

I wouldn't give the BIL the steam off my poop.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Your BIL sounds like an arse.

good luck with everything you want to do mate.

mike

Thanks to all that have commented.

As an old time member I thought it only right and polite to ask and I will ask Eddie shortly if it's ok and I would not think of breaking the forum rules.

Those that have had meets with me or sold to me know that I'm a collector and not a dealer or trader.

if Eddie is ok with it whenever we get some better weather I will try to get some pics taken so not rushing into anything as I have to take each day as it comes, some are good days but most are bad hence the dark place.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Your brother in law is a cad.
    That isn't the word I would use. Starts with the same letter though...

I have asked some of my younger family members if there is anything I own they might particularly want when I am gone, but that's another thing entirely!

It sounds to me as though you shouldn't be having to worry about family "squabbling and disagreements"...but you are, and so should do whatever will please you most. As above, Eddie's your man if there are any questions.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but welcome back to the forum. As you've been lurking since you were last regularly on here, you'll be aware of how things have evolved and how personalities have changed.

All the best...enjoy what you can and don't worry about the rest (not easy, I know).

Bob

Apprentice
    A new 'un replying, so I'll defer to the regulars, but it seems you should feel welcome to sell here.

Sorry to hear of your situation and your brother-in-law's massively insensitive request.

I would not let his behaviour unduly influence what steps you take next, perhaps think about who you would really like to have your watches (and any other treasured possessions) and clearly document that for a solicitor.

I can see that you might be set on selling though, as it is the simplest way to ensure that there are no future arguments over your watches.

The other point I would mention....prior to his stupid comment, would you have been inclined to say that a watch or two would have passed to him? If you were, consider whether his moment of crass behaviour has truly undermined everything you previously thought.

Good luck, sincerely.

Journeyman
    Sorry to hear that story - must have been the last thing you needed or wanted to happen. Take some comfort though from the fact that your sister recognised your BIL was out of line - at least she showed she's still got some humanity.

As others have said you only need Eddie's permission but if this forum were a democracy you would have my vote.

Bob.

Master
    Naturally, converting your collection to cash is likely to vastly reduce squabbling of course as it becomes a digital division.

I lost my Great Aunt last year and the descent of the vultures was hideous to behold. After the funeral we met back at her house. I lasted about five minutes watching them tear through her cupboards and wardrobes. It was like Black Friday sales.

With my parents I specified that I want a painting of my Mother's (sadly now hanging on my living room wall), an Eames chair of my Father's which I hope not to receive for many years to come, and nothing else.

But do not go gently sir, rage rage!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stu65 View Post
    Recently something happened that has made me evaluate my collection where my sister & bro in law visited me and he asked if he could put stickers on the watches he wanted if anything happened to me, needless to say my sis gave him a right bollocking before they left but for me it was the straw that broke the camels back as they say.
    Good grief. What a crass and thoughtless person he is.

For what it's worth, you might fancy acquiring a cheap and nasty fake Rolex and leaving that to him in your will...

Quote Originally Posted by stu65 View Post
    I now humbly ask for the forums permission to be able to list some watches as I did not want anyone grumbling about me.
    As other have said, there's no need to ask the forum's permission to post items for sale. Eddie is the only one to ask if you feel you need a variance on the rules.

Good luck with the sale and I hope you can cope with your health to your satisfaction. My own health has not been what I'd hope it to be recently and I know how frustrating it is when it is seemingly out of one's control.

Master
    Hi Stu, sorry to hear you haven't been well and welcome back. I have been lucky enough to see Stu's impressive collection of watches, which he kept in fantastic condition.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I lost my Great Aunt last year and the descent of the vultures was hideous to behold. After the funeral we met back at her house. I lasted about five minutes watching them tear through her cupboards and wardrobes. It was like Black Friday sales.
    How horrible. I wish that people would either specify in their wills precisely and in detail who is to get what or would appoint a trustworthy and very assertive executor to divide up goods.

The actions of your BiL are sickening. Slightly paraphrasing but "can I get dibs on the spoils for when you die?" is a disgusting thing to come out with. It's a shame that your intentions of leaving your watches to family has been spoiled by greed.

Anyway, best of luck with your health, I hope things improve and wish you a long stay.

Master
    Outrageous behaviour!!! Unless he was joking, but it didn't come across that way in the way it was written.

Sorry to hear your health has been suffering and hope you're on the mend soon.

Don't rush into liquidating your collection though!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    For what it's worth, you might fancy acquiring a cheap and nasty fake Rolex and leaving that to him in your will...
    I happen to have a cheap and nasty oysterdate the OP is welcome to... even better than being just cheap and nasty is that it is broken ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I happen to have a cheap and nasty oysterdate the OP is welcome to... even better than being just cheap and nasty is that it is broken ;)
    Haha! I'd even contribute a (actually fairly good) fake Daytona that someone bought me as a joke in Sharm El Sheikh

Welcome back Stu, I am really sorry to hear of your health problems.

As regards your watches, take some pics and list them on SC when you feel up to it, I am sure you will get a lot of interest.

All the very best mate.

Neil.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely you can just "will" the watches and that will avoid any squabbles.

I know I would love to be willed a watch from someone close to me regardless of the watch itself.

Welcome back Stu and sorry to hear of your troubles. Your story puts me in mind of an episode with a late uncle of mine who had amassed a fine, framed collection of British Army cap badges (together with Commonwealth Engineer badges and a fair few Irish Army badges). The seven year old son of a friend of his came up to him one day and said "When you snuff it can I have them please?". The boy also probably got a bit of a clattering at the time but it amused my uncle and he's now the very proud owner of the collection which hangs on his bedroom wall. Your brother-in-law's behaviour is inexcusable and, from the other posts on here, I think you've found a legitimate use for a small collection of fake watches.

There are few rules on the use of SC so I'd say pay some attention to them and fill yer boots.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear of your challenges.

Your brother in law sounds a right piece of work; I feel sorry for your sister.

One solution for you if you did want to pass these on is to do it now; that way you get to see the pleasure your gift gives to others ... that way there can be no squabbling as you are there to oversea the gifting.

Giving the brother in law a fake would seem fair ...

Master
    There's been a couple of members here recently who could supply a suitable watch for your BIL. Best wishes.

Welcome back for whatever reason. I hope you sort things out. You can't choose family as they say!

Sorry to hear of your situation. I had my own close shave a few years ago and I'm sad to say I've seen a couple of similar examples where human decency breaks down due to greed in the face of ill health or bereavement. It sickens me to the core. Your BIL's conduct was despicable, I wouldn't leave him the contents of my toilet after a particularly serious dump.

By all means sell the watches if you want to, but there will still be squabbling over the money I suspect. I know these things aren't pleasant to think about, but a clearly defined will may be more appropriate/effective.

Good luck and best wishes to you whatever you decide to do.

Cockroaches, and parasitic scum, come out of the woodwork unfortunately when someone passes.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have a particularly nasty Pathetic Philippe to add to the collection if you would like the last laugh on your git of a BIL.

Let me know and I will stick it in the post to you.

Master
    Welcome back to the forum and I wish it were in happier circumstances.
    Your story reminds me of something similar with regards to my grandfather, who married some gold digging nutter when he was about 75. One day he took a turn for the worst and she tried to arrange for a death certificate before he'd even shuffled of this mortal coil.
    The irony is, the old bugger got better and lived for about another 5 years..... And out lived her!!!
    Good luck with your sales, and your health.

Hi Stu:

Very sorry to hear about your health and the ugly incident with your relative.

We all take watches seriously but they are, at the end of the day, only trinkets. If they are better liquidated for cash then GLWTS. I hope wherever you choose to spend the money you have a great time with it.
    Alex.

Gentlemen, it is a rare thing that I ever show my feelings or emotions but reading through the posts has touched me to the core and makes me feel happy that there are some fantastic people in the world and most of them are this forum.

you guys rock.

Master
    Good luck to you Stu, however you decide to proceed.

I see this kind of stuff via work and it brings out the true nature of some (not in a good way) whereas true friends and family just shrug there shoulders and what will be will be. If SC gives you an option to set the collection free 'into the wild' then crack on, I'm sure most would feel great privilege in offering a new home to one of your preloved pieces.

Tell the BIL to go do one!

Stu - If some of your watches mean so much to this bloke, let him put his money where his mouth is and invite him to buy them.

Price them at 10% above market value and refuse to negotiate - no hard feelings and all that.
    Then blow some of the proceeds or otherwise commit it in such a way that puts a smile on your face and puts it out of his reach.

Peter

Master
    This thread really shows the positives of the forum.

I am sure Stu will have no problem moving on his watches on SC. Good luck with your battles I hope you come through your issues.

Sorry to hear about your problems, Stu. Inheritance – or possibility of one – really brings out nasty traits in some people. You might try to see your BIL's actions as a blessing in disguise. If he'd kept his mouth shut, you might have given the greedy sod something. Now he has shown his true character. As others, I feel sorry for your sister.

If the point of this exercise is just to minimize the possible squabbling among your family, how about getting a solicitor to draw up a will? You would be able to keep your collection, provided that you still enjoy having it. I hope you will find the way to go about it, that gives you the most satisfaction and enjoyment. Best of luck to you!

-Antti

Master
    Another newb here, sorry to hear of your troubles and I hope more of the good days come for you with the spring. If it was me I'd take my time thinking on this, rather than have a moronic comment from your brother in law force your hand in some way. As Possu said maybe get a solicitor to draw up a will with specific instructions detailing what you want and feck the rest of them. That way it's written in stone as it were and you can step back and enjoy your collection again. Maybe even catch the collecting bug again :)

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post

I'm liking this idea more and more. :)

Craftsman
    Good luck with everything Stu. Wishing you all the best.

Hope your watch sales all go smoothly, we are all only custodians of them, this feels even more apparent as the years pass.
    Best wishes,
    R

Just seen this Stu - really sorry to hear you've been having a hard time, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

I remember trying on your Dreadnought and Milgauss in your front room. Absolutely loved the DN and ended up buying one of my own shortly after - I blame you!

Anyway, chin up pal - do what you need to about your watches but put yourself first.

Ian

Banned
    Please make a precise will and appoint an assertive executor, just like someone here suggested.

If your health allows it, let me suggest liquidating assets and using the funds to have a good time. A long trip to Thailand for example. I wish you the best of health.

Good luck to you Sir and may I say, focus your energy on important things only!
    All the best,
    R

Master
    Very sorry to hear of your declining health. As an "old un" too, I am all too aware of health problems and I wish you well. If there is anything that we can do to help, either as individuals or as a community please let us know. Take care Sir.

Master
    Don't rush into selling because of a comment from a cretin. Take the time to work out what gives you the most joy.

Take care and as you say, one day at a time.

Dave