closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Picked up a GS2000...

Picked up a GS2000...

Hello all,

I've been hankering after a CWC Navigator ever since getting a regular G10 on my wrist, but since the original Navigators appear to be as rare as very rare things, I picked up a GS2000 for now I was obviously going to like it as it is pretty much a regular G10 with date function, though there are some other subtle differences to my 1989 G10, so here are a few quick thoughts and pics for anyone that hasn't handled one before...

Here it is on my 6.75'' wrist...

So I just love the utilitarian design of the G10 and the case dimensions here are pretty much identical. The dial is a little crisper on the GS2000 (though that could just be the age of my G10 showing) and obviously it is marked L for Luminova instead of T for Tritium...

I'm not much fussed about having an issued piece or not, I like these purely for the design, but here are the caseback markings anyway...

...as you can see the markings are smaller and lighter on the GS2000 and we're also missing a battery hatch. This is a thumbs down in my book, I'd rather have the hatch for convenience in the absence of a screw on back. But other than the cheaper feeling caseback the watch is the same great build quality as my 89 G10.

Nice solid case, fixed lugs and I just love me a domed acrylic crystal ...

The domed acrylic of the GS2000 is actually slightly taller than that of the 1989 G10 (GS2000 left, G10 right)...

The movement in the GS2000 is a Rhonda rather than an ETA and it has been ticking away nicely. As with my G10 the second hand lines up bang on with the dial markings which is always a plus! I could do with the dial being a little bit 'blacker', as it can look a bit grey in some light, but hey ho, I'll live.

Here is a close up of the date window...

...you can see here that the luminova is applied nice and thick, visibly bulging up, especially on the 12 o'clock triangle. It's quite a novelty to actually have functioning lume on this after getting used to wearing my 1989 G10 (the 26 year old Tritium on my G10 is about as much use in the dark as...well...26 year old Tritium! )

Lume shot...

And here are some shots of the lume over time next to a PRS-18Q and a Seiko SNK. The 18Q isn't a fair comparison as it is a diver with much larger lumed areas but I used it for the comparison shots as it is definitely lumed with C3 superluminova. From what I've read the Seiko's 'Lumibrite' is just C3 with a different name, and the size of the Seiko's markings are reasonably close to the CWC's. Here are the shots anyway (PRS-18Q left, GS2000 middle, Seiko SNK right)...

...so the luminova on the GS2000 does a great job, with the thick application certainly helping. Markings of that size are just never going to be as legible as those of a diver for obvious reasons.

How the GS2000 sits on your wrist will obviously vary, but for me it is ridiculously comfortable...as with my G10 it's nice and light, nice and thin, I just forget it is there...

The lug width is 19mm but I wear it on a 20mm as I don't like the gaps left by 18mm straps. Here is a wrist shot comparison with the two watches from the lume shots for scale (6.75'' wrist)...

So yeah, I'm impressed with it. Obviously no where near as nice looking as a 'no-circle logo' classic Navigator with that lovely yellowing Tritium patina but its a great lightweight grab-and-go beater with that same classic G10 shape and feel.

Well I've probably forgotten something but I'm nodding off as I type this now so I'll call it a day! I hope someone finds this useful, here are a couple of final shots to finish...

Cheers for now!

Uke.

Master
    Another great write up with fantastic photos I really miss mine, you've inspired me to get another.
    Cheers.

Thats excellent Uke, well put together, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Master
    Marvellous, made me get my '04 CWC out of the box for a long overdue wear and its now on the steel blue NATO as crikey that works well.

Thanks,

Pete

That's a good read and well presented. Thanks.

I thoroughly enjoyed that, thanks for posting it.

I think i'll go put a G10 on !

Dave

Journeyman
    Brilliant write up and pictures, there's something great about a cwc, mine seems to be my go to watch recently.

I'd also love a Navigator, shame how rare they are but I love the issued pieces so couldn't go for a gs2000 unfortunately