closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fitness Tracking Wristbands

Fitness Tracking Wristbands

A few of these have appeared on SC recently. Are they useful and if so, would users recommend a particular brand and model.

Thanks and if I have missed a thread on this topic, please let me know.

I wear s Fitbit Charge, which now has an updated version (Charge HR - heart rate).
    It provides plenty of interesting data, easily visible on a computer, tablet or smart phone.
    I have found that wearing it makes you want to do more exercise!
    You can compare stats with friends online.
    Very comfortable to wear too - worn all night to measure sleep patterns.

I have a Jawbone UP24, great at tracking steps and exercise, excellent app integration, small, light and looks good. My only complaint is that the sleep tracking, for me, was ultimately very poor. It tracks sleep patterns based on your movement and I tend not to move a lot when asleep or awake, I've noticed it states I'm in 'light sleep' during times I know I was asleep. Others I know that own it say it's good for sleep tracking, seems I'm in the minority.

Great device overall - highly recommended.

Master
    I use a Aldi one (rebranded Oregon Scientific).
    Fitness bands absolute accuracy is in some doubt, a fact admitted by the manufacturers, as they rely on a best guess algorithm - however, they are accurate enough for comparative purposes ie you've done more than yesterday, or less than last week.

If you want a big name brand bargain then you have a small window of opportunity to get a Fitbit Flex from Argos today for £47.20 instead of £60 using the code FIT20

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/02/a-f...al-of-the-day/

Master
    Coincidentally work gave me a Fitbit Charge HR last week.
    I like the fact it has a watch, shows caller-id for incoming calls and buzzes on my wrist as well as doing heart rate etc.

Comparison: https://www.fitbit.com/uk/compare

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I wear s Fitbit Charge, which now has an updated version (Charge HR - heart rate).
    It provides plenty of interesting data, easily visible on a computer, tablet or smart phone.
    I have found that wearing it makes you want to do more exercise!
    You can compare stats with friends online.
    Very comfortable to wear too - worn all night to measure sleep patterns.

Master
    I'm hoping the new WATCH will have fitness metrics covered.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have used a FitBit Zip for almost a year and it is fine for counting steps but not much else. I can't wear a watch at work so this worked well sitting in my pocket. Taken up running and bought a Garmin Forerunner, much more useful.

I like Apple phones but the iWatch? Without GPS it seems pointless to me.

Withings Pulse Ox here.

Tracks sleep as well as exercise, and has a pulse and blood Oxygen monitor built in. Integrates well with MyFitnessPal. I just keep it in my trouser pocket during the day, and then wear it on my wrist at night (after I take my watch off). Only needs recharging about once a week.

I've also bought a Moto 360 but it hasn't arrived yet.

Be aware that it's not just about the device, but also the quality of the apps/web site that present the data to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I like Apple phones but the iWatch? Without GPS it seems pointless to me.
    That's the iWatch2 ....

Master
    The Gadget Show have just reviewed the Fitbit HR

fitbit-charge-hr

I'd buy one again.

I have a Polar Loop my wife has a Garmin Vivo fit. Both similar yet different.
    The garmin has a visible naughty bar (you've been sat still too long) the polar flashes up once and you can easily miss it. There is some lag between that and my iphone, which flashes up a telling off too.

Both work with a heart rate monitor and provide useful feedback. The polar is fine in the swimming pool or lake - I have swum loads in it. They are all bad when it comes to cycling without an heart rate strap.

They do encourage you to move about a bit more and get you steps in. So I would say get one. I have a more full on Polar HRM and this is my goto device. You need a phone/tablet/computer but it I simpler to use and stops you faffing with stuff that doesn't realy matter. I have got out and done more as a result. Result.

Read up (google DC rainmaker) and choose the features you want, then just use it.

I had a garmin vivo fit but, as has been said, useless for me as a cyclist as I couldn't be bothered with (didn't get) the hr strap. My girlfriend has been wearing it now for the last 8 months and loves it for walking & running and monitoring her daily goal. Good battery life too.

I have the Greggs version. Gives me a countdown to my next pastie.

Oh yes, battery life.
    Garmin about a year - you can replace the battery.
    Polar about 3 days, I have never seen the claimed 5 days. I does however charge in about 30 mins (but does have a special plug, so don't loose it).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    That's the iWatch2 ....
    I was thinking the same. I want a watch so I don't have to carry my phone whilst running so I'll get at least a year's use out of it.

The other reason I dumped FitBit is they won't support Apple Health. I don't mind using separate fitness apps but decided my life didn't need THAT much quantifying...

DCrainmaker - as already said, this site is a "must visit". The reviews are awesomely thorough. Highly recommended.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Fitbit charge hr is good for everything! Mrs uses all the time!

Master
    Another vote for the Withings Pulse Ox. It Reports consistently (I'm deliberately avoiding the word 'accurately' as I don't think it can be applied to any of these devices) but consistency is enough for what these are used for - comparing against your history. I find the sleep analysis the most useful as I've been burning it at both ends lately and it's a good tool to keep me aware of how many hours I'm getting. I'm a climber and mountaineer and will take it on my next high altitude trip to see what my O2 sats do. The pulse monitor works very well but be aware that you must remove the unit from the wrist band or belt clip before it can be used. It integrates with a variety of external systems and databases including Apple Health, and also with other products in the Withings range.

It seems to be the most 'watch like' of the digital market offerings as it has a conventional wristband with tang buckle. I use the word digital as Withings also do a rather attractive analogue variant that may be of interest -http://www.withings.com/us/withings-activite.html. Very Nomos.

Another vote here for the Fitbit Charge HR.

These are new to the market and as far as I am aware are the only activity monitors that also monitor your heart rate 24/7.

Generally speaking the heart rate monitor is pretty accurate although the Fitbit forums are littered with people who are not happy because the monitors are unable to track intensive exercise such as HIIT or weight training. The solution to this is to use another monitor whilst in the gym and I've recently purchased Scosche Rhythm+ which links via Bluetooth to my phone and provides an accurate heart rate whilst in the gym.

Apprentice
    I am currently really liking my Fitbit Flex - a great value option to start steps tracking.

Fitbit have just bought out a new option - The Surge - which includes steps, HR and smartphone controls in what looks like a nice digital watch format.

I think I'll be buying once the blue or orange options comes to the UK.

Wish I knew where I read a recent report of test run using six of the top selling FTs. The results ranged widely in accuracy, with some FTs being hopelessly out on some activities, but pretty close on others. Not one of those tested was respectably accurate across a range.

The overall conclusion was to consider carefully the activities you wanted to monitor and then carefully research and chose a FT. For running, swimming, cycling and altitude measurement none would match the likes of a Suunto. Then again, a different target market.

I have the Missfit - not a sexy as some, but is waterproof down to 20M - I have proved that personally.

Good app and can integrate into MyFitnessPal.

Does movement, sleep and actually tells the time- battery life 4 months. Can be worn or simply put in your pocket.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Withings pulse here. However, if I were doing it now I think I'd get an LG G Watch R.

Cheers,

MarkC

Garmin vivosmart here. Does it all and 50m WR. Also gives mobile notifications such as txt, email, appointment reminders as well as caller ID. Great device for £120 inc HRM

Fitbit One and Flex users here. About to upgrade to Charge HR now (some reviews say that the wrist band is not so big so will start with swmbo first).
    The Flex was spot on tracking flights of stairs...

Best part is being able to compare rankings with others - so if all your mates already have a certain brand then maybe consider this .....

A question if I may. How do these devices perform for Gym exercises - bikes, & cross trainers especially as I can't use the treadmills as the impact would be too much for my knee?

Are there models better suited to Gym work as opposed to measuring steps/climbs?

Two, there are two questions....
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Apprentice
    My Fitbit FLEX records my progress on the cross trainer perfectly at the gym. Each "step" is measured and it seems to align broadly distance wise.

Bike in the gym it doesn't measure as it measures that you're not moving. It does record my 5 minute ride to the station however but only captures around 1.2k steps for a 3k distance :-)

Flex (or any other one) has really helped me to get some more exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    A question if I may. How do these devices perform for Gym exercises - bikes, & cross trainers especially as I can't use the treadmills as the impact would be too much for my knee?

Are there models better suited to Gym work as opposed to measuring steps/climbs?

Two, there are two questions....

Quote Originally Posted by accountant_monkey View Post
    My Fitbit FLEX records my progress on the cross trainer perfectly at the gym. Each "step" is measured and it seems to align broadly distance wise.

Bike in the gym it doesn't measure as it measures that you're not moving. It does record my 5 minute ride to the station however but only captures around 1.2k steps for a 3k distance :-)

Flex (or any other one) has really helped me to get some more exercise.
    Thanks for that A-M. I do 35 minutes on the bike in the Gym and 20 minutes on the cross trainer so looks like one would only be useful for the latter.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I've got a Jawbone Up Move a week ago - little thing on a clip that tends to go in/on my pocket. You can get wrist straps but they cost extra and I'm finding I don't need one. Not so sure about the sleep tracking (clipped to my nightshirt collar), but interesting to see what it thinks.

I find it's probably not getting the perfect "step count" when I'm on my bike (have tried to place it on my shoe and belt-line, with about the same result), but when you do specific exercise that isn't just walking you can later give it a start/stop time plus an intensity level, and it will calculate calorie burn (as long as you don't cheat and label some very easy exercise "Difficult" or "Gut buster").

I've got it because I'm no good at objectively assessing how much I am exercising or eating, being usually able to convince myself that I'm plenty active, when I'm clearly not! So it's a good prod to make me ride to work more often, take the stairs more often - the little things. I'm also trying to be good and fill in the food bit to keep me aware of my intake. If you give the app a weight goal, it automatically reduces/increases your target calorie intake based on your calculated base metabolic rate plus exercise logged, in order to help you reach it.

I went for the Jawbone UP because the app got good reviews and I didn't see the point of getting a tracker which has poor associated software. Seems OK so far.

Apprentice
    I've just preordered a Garmin Fenix 3. I was planning to get an Apple Watch but the lack of GPS, 1 day battery life and first generation new product; I decided the Fenix 3 was a better option for now. I wish the Fenix had a built in HR sensor though although it will pair with the strap I'm only going to wear that cycling/running.

I probably should of waited another week though as I believe the public announcement for the iWatch is the 9th and I may end up still pining for one. The Withings looks like a very nice option too.

Thanks for all your feedback. I have read lots of reviews and the Fitbit Charge HR comes out well in most but I just wish I could swim with it. Nothing seems to simultaneously tick the running, cycling, swimming, calories burnt and heart monitoring boxes (without the use of a chest band). Shame really.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    Thanks for all your feedback. I have read lots of reviews and the Fitbit Charge HR comes out well in most but I just wish I could swim with it. Nothing seems to simultaneously tick the running, cycling, swimming, calories burnt and heart monitoring boxes (without the use of a chest band). Shame really.
    What about the Basis Peak?

Review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/b...th-review.html

Looks like it needs a bit of work though :-(

Maybe the Microsoft Band could be the answer?

http://www.microsoft.com/Microsoft-Band/en-us

Cheers,

Mark C
    Last edited by markc; 4th March 2015 at 14:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I came to the same conclusion, there isn't one that does everything I want, partly I think because this is a developing technology. I think once smart watches really kick off this will drive things forward.

I got a Misfit Shine half price on Amazon as it does most of what I want (steps, cycling, swimming, sleep) and is also quite smart and discreet. It wasn't much of an investment and I'm happy with it (the main thing being motivating me to get off my butt the days I'm not otherwise exercising), but will look to change once something comes out with everything I want.

I've had a couple and frankly wifi scales were more useful.

Grand Master
    I have a Garmin Fenix 2, which since taking another running / hiking injury is redundant but waht a fantastic bit of kit for the money if you want to spend £200 on a do it all.

I also had a JawboneUp and it was great to give you a guide, infact if anyones got a jawbone I have just found a spare charger for it!
    RIAC

Journeyman
    If you just want a basic pedometer/sleep tracker type band...the Xiaomi Mi Band seems to be excellent value at only £13. Reviews say the app is a little basic and at the moment it doesn't tie into other apps, but this is likely to change as Xiaomi are launching it in Europe and the US now. Not got one yet, but have ordered one for a play about (although given I ordered from dx.com it may take a long time to arrive).

Master
    Both myself and the wife have the miband. Really for the price it's a no brainer. It is however a bit basic. It only tracks steps. So running, walking and cross trainer is all fine. It also tracks sleep patterns, has a vibrate alarm and also will vibrate if your your phone rings which is handy if it's in your bag or jacket and on silent. It will work anywhere within about 10m of your phone. For any other training I use strava for cycling which also syncs with myfitnessplanner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post
    Both myself and the wife have the miband. Really for the price it's a no brainer. It is however a bit basic. It only tracks steps. So running, walking and cross trainer is all fine. It also tracks sleep patterns, has a vibrate alarm and also will vibrate if your your phone rings which is handy if it's in your bag or jacket and on silent. It will work anywhere within about 10m of your phone. For any other training I use strava for cycling which also syncs with myfitnessplanner.
    I couldn't see if it will work with a Windoze phone (work issue though I quite like it)?

Master
    Not sure to be honest. I think it only works with Android since its designed for use with xiaomi phones and they use a skinned version of kitkat